BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2023, 11:42 AM   #1
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

which is better: using the native BMW maps + assisted driving vs Apple maps?

I drive my g05 once a month or so between Arkansas and Tennessee, and for most of the time I use the assisted driving mode on the interstate. I always set the destination in the native idrive map and drive in the adaptive mode, which in a discussion years ago was told was best practices for the vehicle to interact with the radar/sensors and all of that to keep driver intervention to a minimum.

Although I've never tried driving this whole distance with just Apple CarPlay's maps and using the assisted driving mode, I was wondering is there any difference, or is the experience still better with idrive maps. Anyone have any anecdotal evidence either way?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 12:53 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
you will not get any optimization from the vehicle during the trip if you use Apple Maps. that feature only works when using the native NAVI system, so strictly from that feature, the native NAVI is better.

what other advantages are you trying to discern between systems?
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      07-23-2023, 01:09 PM   #3
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I drive my g05 once a month or so between Arkansas and Tennessee, and for most of the time I use the assisted driving mode on the interstate. I always set the destination in the native idrive map and drive in the adaptive mode, which in a discussion years ago was told was best practices for the vehicle to interact with the radar/sensors and all of that to keep driver intervention to a minimum.

Although I've never tried driving this whole distance with just Apple CarPlay's maps and using the assisted driving mode, I was wondering is there any difference, or is the experience still better with idrive maps. Anyone have any anecdotal evidence either way?

When I travel, I set up my destination in BMW navigation, start the trip, the use Waze map in car play. That way I get the navigation direction in the head up display and warnings from Waze for police, hazards etc.. Best of both worlds
Appreciate 8
      07-23-2023, 02:01 PM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia
what other advantages are you trying to discern between systems?
Thanks, I figured as much and that's why i've been using the native maps all this time. But I also have figured that BMW somehow favors the Apple ecosystem moreso than android and thought maybe there was equal functionality with Apple Maps.

Apple Maps has the advantage that you can share your ETA with contacts. It also calculates travel times more accurately, and I think, does a bit better job with real time traffic delays than BMW does. However, these are mostly trivial things and I've been satisfied with BMW's maps and will continue to use it for these long drives.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      07-23-2023, 05:01 PM   #5
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

I still don’t understand what advantage you’re getting using BMW navigation? Does it in some way make the assisted driving better? By assisted driving, I understand you mean using hands free driving on the highway?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 05:15 PM   #6
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoJJ View Post
I still don’t understand what advantage you’re getting using BMW navigation? Does it in some way make the assisted driving better? By assisted driving, I understand you mean using hands free driving on the highway?
the assisted driving mode works best when the navigation, and adaptive driving modes are enabled. it can work without those, but the thought is that it will be less reliable and drop out much more frequently than if it knows where its going when being fed map data from the navigation system.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 05:16 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
He is using the Adaptive drive mode and when the navigation is active there are performance/efficiency aspects that can be taken advantage of such as automatically changing gears based on upcoming roads. The assisted driving itself is not affected/changed.
mojoJJ263.50
thereef5101165.00
      07-23-2023, 05:31 PM   #8
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
He is using the Adaptive drive mode and when the navigation is active there are performance/efficiency aspects that can be taken advantage of such as automatically changing gears based on upcoming roads. The assisted driving itself is not affected/changed.
Thanks, that makes sense. I was confused because G06 LCI doesn’t have the adaptive mode (or maybe the mode is there but the button is not). I’ve been using highway assistant for about 2 months now with apple maps without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 06:09 PM   #9
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull2 View Post
When I travel, I set up my destination in BMW navigation, start the trip, the use Waze map in car play. That way I get the navigation direction in the head up display and warnings from Waze for police, hazards etc.. Best of both worlds
Yea thats what i do in my 2018 right now that has the old iDrive 6 with the split screen. You can have apple carplay Waze on left side of the screen and BMW Nav on the right side.

I was wondering what I was going to do with the 2024 50e on order ... now i know.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 10:37 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, that makes sense. I was confused because G06 LCI doesn’t have the adaptive mode (or maybe the mode is there but the button is not). I’ve been using highway assistant for about 2 months now with apple maps without any issues.
this is where the German translated words’ true meanings get lost, so I’ll try to explain as simply as I can

when entering a destination address in the BMW NAVI, the PHEV will take into account driving style, terrain, etc and optimize electric efficiency of its hybrid system. the manual calls this feature “adaptive hybrid mode”, but this is completely UNrelated to Adaptive or Hybrid drive modes (thus the confusion by many and also why deletion of the Adaptive drive mode button in the LCI has no adverse effect on this function). this feature is also called “anticipatory hybrid drive” which makes better sense. if you understand the former to be the latter, you’ll better understand the topic
Appreciate 3
mojoJJ263.50
gsquare64.50
      07-23-2023, 10:40 PM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
mojoJJ
I forgot to mention Adaptive drive mode in the LCI is completely deleted (button and all programming). there was a time the pre-LCI lost its Adaptive drive mode button too, but one could still activate it using voice commands. this is not the case with the LCI; it doesn’t have Adaptive drive mode at all

(again, don’t confuse Adaptive drive mode with “adaptive hybrid mode” aka “anticipatory hybrid drive”.)
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      07-23-2023, 10:45 PM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
clarification on terminology as explained above and attached below
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 11:52 PM   #13
zsap
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2023)

As for an extension of what nZtiZia said, this video may explain it more:

Not sure what engine OP has, but in my 45e I may show you one of my recent trips where I decided to drive exactly strictly to the rules, and with a target defined in the Navigation system.

I think it is an amazing result of the economy/efficiency ratio. The photo was taken when I saw '--' as an electric range. The trip to this moment was mixed, the road between the cities and some small cities to pass.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4656.00
thereef5101165.00
      07-24-2023, 08:24 AM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
clarification on terminology as explained above and attached below
Just so people aren't confused and as you mentioned above, this is not the adaptive drive mode that I was referring to but rather the non-PHEV adaptive mode. I think that drive mode has now been removed from all G05 models.

Here is some info regarding it that I have posted in the past that I got from another forum:

"I asked BMWGenius to explain Adaptive Driving Mode in more detail, including whether or not it switches between comfort and sport depending on the situation. Here's what they said.
The Adaptive Driving Mode is a unique driving mode, separate from COMFORT, ECO PRO, and SPORT. While driving in Adaptive Driving Mode, the vehicle does not switch to COMFORT or SPORT mode automatically. However, characters of COMFORT or SPORT will be implemented, depending on the situation.

The vehicle is considering many factor to determine the optimal drive feel. Along with acceleration, steering, and speed, the vehicle is also factoring in driving conditions, braking, cornering speed, input from the xDrive system and Navigation data.

When the Navigation system has an active guidance, the Navigation data is used to anticipate curves, crossroads and type of street or road that you are driving on. For example, it can select the optimum transmission gear in advance, potentially enhancing efficiency.​

I responded with this:
One more question: Some have suggested that Adaptive Driving Mode learns how you drive over time and adjusts itself based on that history. Is that true? Or does it just adapt based on the current situation without regard to history?​

Here is what they (a different person) said:
In Adaptive mode, the following influences on the driving style are taken into account, among others:
• Longitudinal dynamics
• Current speed
• Pedal sensor position
• Cruise control (sensor data from ACC radar sensor) *If equipped
• Sport shift gate for automatic transmission
• Turn indicator
• Steering wheel movements
• Navigation data

"ADAPTIVE" reacts to the current driving style. The affected control units can change their parameters on the basis of the detected driving style. This system will not use previous driving tendencies to change settings for the current trip.​""
thereef5101165.00
      07-24-2023, 08:39 AM   #15
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:

For me Google maps..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 08:39 AM   #16
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
How can you use BMW nav and Waze/Google Maps at the same time? My display only allows one or the other. If my (Android Auto) phone is connected, it won't even let me bring Waze up on my phone to check for alternate routes, traffic, etc.

One other minor downside to BMW navigation is when selecting a designation on MyBMW app, it's hard to look for alternate routes before sending to the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 08:43 AM   #17
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Waze is better . I never use bmw or apple are you listening bmw add Waze as a app
Appreciate 1
wxdave70.50
      07-24-2023, 08:46 AM   #18
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
How can you use BMW nav and Waze/Google Maps at the same time? My display only allows one or the other. If my (Android Auto) phone is connected, it won't even let me bring Waze up on my phone to check for alternate routes, traffic, etc.

One other minor downside to BMW navigation is when selecting a designation on MyBMW app, it's hard to look for alternate routes before sending to the car.
I believe people are setting the route in the native navigation, but then switching over the iDrive display to use CarPlay where they have also set navigation with Waze. So I would think if you are following Waze and that routing differs from that used by the native nav, the native nav will dynamically recalculate when you theoretically go off of its course. Others can confirm if this is how it has worked.

Perhaps the Android Auto functionality is different?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 09:00 AM   #19
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I believe people are setting the route in the native navigation, but then switching over the iDrive display to use CarPlay where they have also set navigation with Waze. So I would think if you are following Waze and that routing differs from that used by the native nav, the native nav will dynamically recalculate when you theoretically go off of its course. Others can confirm if this is how it has worked.

Perhaps the Android Auto functionality is different?
ATTENTION: THIS IS A 'QUIRKY PERK' WHEN RUNNING WAZE + BMW NAVI WITH IPHONES CONNECTED VIA CARPLAY. i will explain:

Apple Maps is supported via CarPlay, therefore one can choose this or the BMW navi for navigation and HUD display. Google Maps is supported via Android Auto, therefore one can choose this or the BMW navi for navigation and HUD display. because of this support, it's either/or; both systems can't navigate simultaneously since iDrive can only support one system on the HUD or voice direction played through the vehicle's speakers. WORKAROUND: one can run both systems simultaneously as long as the phones aren't connected via CP or AA (essentially 'unseen' from the iDrive system so it will not show in the HUD or give voice directions via the vehicle’s speakers)

Waze is also supported via Android Auto on Android phones running specific software level, but it's not supported via CarPlay. this is why folks who connect their Android phones via AA cannot run Waze + BMW Navi simultaneously, but iPhones connected via CP can. in the case of iPhones, running Waze on the iPhone that's connected via CP isn't 'seen' by the iDrive system. WORKAROUND FOR ANDROID PHONES: run Waze while phone is not connected via AA. note it will not show in the HUD or give voice directions via the vehicle’s speakers
Appreciate 3
      07-24-2023, 09:52 AM   #20
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Thanks, I figured as much and that's why i've been using the native maps all this time. But I also have figured that BMW somehow favors the Apple ecosystem moreso than android and thought maybe there was equal functionality with Apple Maps.

Apple Maps has the advantage that you can share your ETA with contacts. It also calculates travel times more accurately, and I think, does a bit better job with real time traffic delays than BMW does. However, these are mostly trivial things and I've been satisfied with BMW's maps and will continue to use it for these long drives.
Apple Maps also shows directions in the HUD, unlike when I use Waze through CarPlay.
      07-24-2023, 10:53 AM   #21
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
ATTENTION: THIS IS A 'QUIRKY PERK' WHEN RUNNING WAZE + BMW NAVI WITH IPHONES CONNECTED VIA CARPLAY. i will explain:

Apple Maps is supported via CarPlay, therefore one can choose this or the BMW navi for navigation and HUD display. Google Maps is supported via Android Auto, therefore one can choose this or the BMW navi for navigation and HUD display. because of this support, it's either/or; both systems can't navigate simultaneously since iDrive can only support one system on the HUD or voice direction played through the vehicle's speakers. WORKAROUND: one can run both systems simultaneously as long as the phones aren't connected via CP or AA (essentially 'unseen' from the iDrive system).

Waze is also supported via Android Auto on Android phones running specific software level, but it's not supported via CarPlay. this is why folks who connect their Android phones via AA cannot run Waze + BMW Navi simultaneously, but iPhones connected via CP can. in the case of iPhones, running Waze on the iPhone that's connected via CP isn't 'seen' by the iDrive system. WORKAROUND FOR ANDROID PHONES: run Waze while phone is not connected via AA.
So I just actually tried to use the native nav and Waze on my iPhone via CarPlay simultaneously and my 50e would NOT allow it. The second Waze became active, the native nav would deactivate -- and vice versa. This is using CarPlay wirelessly. I tried this twice and could not get both to operate simultaneously.

What is the trick others are using on iOS to get this to work? I wonder if it's something in my Bluetooth settings between the phone and the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 11:37 AM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak2024 View Post
So I just actually tried to use the native nav and Waze on my iPhone via CarPlay simultaneously and my 50e would NOT allow it. The second Waze became active, the native nav would deactivate -- and vice versa. This is using CarPlay wirelessly. I tried this twice and could not get both to operate simultaneously.

What is the trick others are using on iOS to get this to work? I wonder if it's something in my Bluetooth settings between the phone and the car?
I think the LCI has changed the situation and no longer allows both to be active. What I always do is run nav in BMW and keep Waze running (no route) on CarPlay to get the traffic notifications. I would imagine that still can be done on the LCI.