BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-07-2023, 01:34 PM   #1
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X6M Competition

2024 BMW X6 M Competition Build - Individual Color Chalk

Hello everyone,

I placed an order in mid-September and received an allocation in October. The vehicle was scheduled to be built in November, with delivery expected in December. My original specifications were as follows:

X6 M Competition
Frozen Pure Grey Metallic
Sakhir Orange/Black Full Merino Leather
Driving Assistance Package
Executive Package
21"/22" M Star-Spoke Black Wheels
M Compound Brakes with Red Calipers
Carbon Fiber Trim
Bowers and Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System
Wheel Locks

After watching numerous videos and scanning this forum, as well as conducting some research, I grew increasingly uneasy about the Frozen Pure Grey Matte paint. The idea that I couldn't buff out scratches, among other things, was a deal-breaker for me. Besides, if I had chosen that route, I would have ended up applying Paint Protection Film (PPF) to the entire car, adding another $7-9K to the cost. My current vehicle has a ceramic coating which I am planning on getting applied to this vehicle and PPF on the full front, fenders and rocker panels. I was going to skip the PPF this time as I didn't see a huge benefit.

Then I stumbled upon this beautiful blue shade on YouTube(link below), which I instantly adored, but I couldn't identify the color. After consulting with my BMW advisor and making several inquiries, no one seemed to have a definitive answer. However, once I experimented with the BMW Individual visualizer, I fell in love with the Chalk Uni color. My current 2019 Audi RS 5 Sportback is Nardo Grey, and Chalk seemed to belong to the same color family. Although I cherished my Nardo Grey, I was ready for a change, and the light grey, almost white appearance of Chalk, captivated me.

Consequently, I requested that my advisor change the order to this new color. He briefed me on the approval process and mentioned that choosing an Individual color would necessitate obtaining prior approval and likely result in being assigned to a later allocation slot. I consented and have now been waiting for over two weeks without any update. I’m wondering if any of you have experience with ordering an Individual color? From what I’ve read, the approval process usually takes about a week, but it can delay the build time. I’ve also gathered that experiences can vary depending on the expertise of your advisor. Like anyone would be, I’m very excited about ordering a new car and just seeking insights from anyone with recent experience ordering an Individual color. Thanks in advance!

Unknown Blue Color
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 03:34 PM   #2
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Individual color approval shouldn’t take more than about a week so long as your dealer knows what they are doing. My Twilight Purple G80 was approved in about a week and my order was updated that same day. The dealer I’m working with on my X5 M60i was able to get my individual color approved and updated in the system in less than 15 minutes due to his working relationship with a BMW NA rep.

The switch to an individual color for my X5 did cause a 3.5 month delay so far. I think less X vehicles are done in individual colors so they try and batch as many as they can. Plus there is the additional lead time of them having to mix the paint in Germany and ship it to the US. Whereas the switch to an individual color on my G80 was only about a month delay in production timeline.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      11-07-2023, 03:38 PM   #3
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Btw, that color on the video could possibly be Petrol Mica Metallic. Hard to tell with the lighting though.

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:54 PM   #4
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Individual color approval shouldn’t take more than about a week so long as your dealer knows what they are doing. My Twilight Purple G80 was approved in about a week and my order was updated that same day. The dealer I’m working with on my X5 M60i was able to get my individual color approved and updated in the system in less than 15 minutes due to his working relationship with a BMW NA rep.

The switch to an individual color for my X5 did cause a 3.5 month delay so far. I think less X vehicles are done in individual colors so they try and batch as many as they can. Plus there is the additional lead time of them having to mix the paint in Germany and ship it to the US. Whereas the switch to an individual color on my G80 was only about a month delay in production timeline.
Thanks! My fear was my advisor didn't know what he was doing and now I have given up my allocation and have to wait for the next batch.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:57 PM   #5
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Btw, that color on the video could possibly be Petrol Mica Metallic. Hard to tell with the lighting though.
I think you might be right. In the video it looks lighter which is the shade I like. Hard to tell if there are any effects on the video or if the lighting is creating that shade. I'm happy with Chalk as long as it gets approved.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 09:30 PM   #6
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanseric21 View Post
Thanks! My fear was my advisor didn't know what he was doing and now I have given up my allocation and have to wait for the next batch.
It sounds like they know what they are doing but I’d still press them for an update as two weeks is too long. Sounds like an email may have been missed by your CA or by the BMW NA rep they work with.

You have to have an allocation in order to get the individual color submitted and approved. So if you gave up an allocation…the delay would be the fact that they are now waiting on a new allocation to be allotted and then they have to submit for that one to be updated to an individual color.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 01:07 PM   #7
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have an update regarding my order. My advisor informed me that, two days after releasing my order, the individual color was approved. This came after receiving incorrect information from his manager, who had initially stated there was a 99% chance of non-approval at order status 112. Consequently, I was advised to wait for a new allocation for the color approval. Further complicating matters, upon releasing my order, the manager removed the Executive Package and the Bowers and Wilkins Sound System, not wanting a 'highly spec'd' vehicle on the lot. This has been extremely frustrating.

Now, the order is at status 102, and I've been told the package can't be reinstated due to it being an individual order. I told the advisor that based on my research, modifications are possible but would require intervention from BMW North America (BMWNA), especially given that this error originated from the dealership.

My advisor has escalated this to the General Manager, who has contacted BMWNA to resolve the issue. The frustration is immense, more so because if this isn't rectified, and considering the dealership hasn't received any allocations for November yet, I might not receive my vehicle until March or April and there will now be another Chalk X6 M Competition riding around Houston.

Would anyone be able to provide a contact at BMWNA for further assistance? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0