BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2023, 08:43 AM   #1
mediopogi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

x5 45e Oil Level Measurement

I know where to find this in iDrive but how do I turn on the ICE while in N or P so that I can run this measurement? Usually, drive ready state has ICE turned off.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 08:50 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
1)
Park.
Move gear lever to the left.

2)
Park.
Place vehicle is Hybrid or Adaptive.
While firmly pressing the brake with one foot, lightly tap the accelerator with the other foot.

**simply parking doesn’t turn off the drive-ready state. did you press the Start/Stop button after placing in Park? don’t. did you open the driver’s door after placing in Park? don’t. also, parking brake isn’t necessary; just put the gear lever in Park. access the menu
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 08:55 AM   #3
mediopogi
Private First Class
Rep

Got it. Will try. Parking brake only. I’ve putting the gear in P
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 12:14 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

It's probably better all-around to just actually engage the ICE on a trip say to the store or some other errand.

Idling doesn't get you anywhere, and is essentially just a waste of fuel...use it while going somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 12:43 PM   #5
mediopogi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
It's probably better all-around to just actually engage the ICE on a trip say to the store or some other errand.

Idling doesn't get you anywhere, and is essentially just a waste of fuel...use it while going somewhere.
That’s right. I’m doing this after my 15mi commute. My problem is waking the engine while the car is stationary to run this measurement.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 01:03 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Well, I was wrong, so am correcting my post...while the easiest way to get the reading is to run in sport mode for a bit to ensure the engine is warm, unlike my previous BMW (and maybe this one prior to the iDrive software update), it won't produce a readout while driving, the menu is correct, you have to be stopped and either in neutral or park to get it...but, the status will still update while you're driving, so you should have a green oil status indicator on the menu. When I did it this afternoon on a short run to DMV to renew my license, once stopped, it took maybe 90-seconds to run the process to update the status when asked.

So, next time you go out, to speed it, run in sport mode to warm the engine up. If you've already been driving, it may come up as soon as you open the menu.

Last edited by jad03060; 02-08-2023 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: corrected my post
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2023, 09:30 PM   #7
mediopogi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Well, I was wrong, so am correcting my post...while the easiest way to get the reading is to run in sport mode for a bit to ensure the engine is warm, unlike my previous BMW (and maybe this one prior to the iDrive software update), it won't produce a readout while driving, the menu is correct, you have to be stopped and either in neutral or park to get it...but, the status will still update while you're driving, so you should have a green oil status indicator on the menu. When I did it this afternoon on a short run to DMV to renew my license, once stopped, it took maybe 90-seconds to run the process to update the status when asked.

So, next time you go out, to speed it, run in sport mode to warm the engine up. If you've already been driving, it may come up as soon as you open the menu.
I didn’t get a chance to read your updated post so I learned the hard way. but I did the ‘experiment’ on my way back home and the car won’t measure oil level during the drive. The measure button is grayed out. Similarly, when the engine is cold.

What I did is sport mode on the way to warm the engine like your suggestion. Once at destination the car can be on electric or hybrid. shift the gear to ‘P’ and the measure oil button will become active. Click that and the engine will turn on again for the duration of the oil level measurement.
Appreciate 1
aMIC31.00