nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter04 View Post
It’s an issue with the CarPlay/ idrive. Not exclusive to your car, I believe it came with the last software update since I never experienced it before.

If you change you gauge cluster to see the music, you’ll notice it will say “unknown title” and then the controls won’t work. When it shows the title/ song, then you know it is working.

I notice it happens sometimes after I leave my car and get back in. Like if I’m dropping something off then get back in my car after a brief amount of time, it’ll say “unknown title” and not work.

Are you using Spotify or Apple Music just out of curiosity?
that’s not the issue. I’m on 11/2023.50 and experience no issues with the buttons.

regarding “Unknown Title”, that’s something I’ve seen once in a while through multiple software versions over the last three years, so it’s not related to the latest software version. when that happens, of course the buttons won’t work because the vehicle senses there’s no media track. BTW I only use Apple Music, never Spotify
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 11:45 PM   #24
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I start noticing the same issue with CarPlay as everyone me toned pressing on the touchscreen works but gesture and steering input does nothing. Noticed the same thing where the song would show as unknown when it happens. Pretty sure is something between BMW software and CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:43 AM   #25
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

I just got the latest OTA software update, 03/2024.40. The skipping forward function in the car's Spotify app is now even less reliable than before. Yay!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 11:31 AM   #26
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Not sure if it's related but yesterday I noticed that when using Waze via CarPlay, the voice notifications stop whatever music is playing and I have to press play again every time Waze interrupts.

I don't recall it ever working that way before.
      05-05-2024, 11:17 AM   #27
maka007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Is the sound quality any better or the same?
It's about the same. The downside could be a lack of an equalizer in the build in iDrive app, which is available in the mobile app and applies to the sound when you use CarPlay. And the interface itself is a bit different, but I've been using it for the past two years and still do.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 05:56 PM   #28
Lefty061182
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i (Marina/Black)

Same with me. My car was at the dealer last week and now have the same exact issue!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:32 AM   #29
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Is the sound quality any better or the same?
Actually it "should" be better as the stream is only compressed once.

My understanding is that wireless CarPlay (and the android version) will compress audio to some degree when it sends the signal to your head unit.

What I have noticed is the volume is more consistent with the Spotify app than with using CarPlay.
Sometimes CarPlay (no matter if its Apple Music or Spotify) will be really low and you have to turn it to 3/4 and higher volume to really drive the speakers and others you can have it at 1/2 and its fine.
Appreciate 1
NGT25724.00
      05-06-2024, 06:39 PM   #30
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
Actually it "should" be better as the stream is only compressed once.

My understanding is that wireless CarPlay (and the android version) will compress audio to some degree when it sends the signal to your head unit.

What I have noticed is the volume is more consistent with the Spotify app than with using CarPlay.
Sometimes CarPlay (no matter if its Apple Music or Spotify) will be really low and you have to turn it to 3/4 and higher volume to really drive the speakers and others you can have it at 1/2 and its fine.
can you explain this more? turn what to 1/2 or 3/4? the media volume knob or the iPhone volume? can’t be the latter because when the iPhone is connected to the vehicle via CarPlay, its volume control is disabled. regarding the former, i listen to my Music library in Apple Music and rarely need to turn the media volume higher than 20%. I do have HK system, though
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 12:41 PM   #31
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
can you explain this more? turn what to 1/2 or 3/4? the media volume knob or the iPhone volume? can’t be the latter because when the iPhone is connected to the vehicle via CarPlay, its volume control is disabled. regarding the former, i listen to my Music library in Apple Music and rarely need to turn the media volume higher than 20%. I do have HK system, though
I was referring to the media volume knob.

Sometimes (on the LCI) the sound system's volume drops really low when using CarPlay for some reason. it's been reported here before by others. some say that after a phone call it will return to normal volume.
I also have the HK system. You have the pre-LCI, right? I think they have downgraded the amplifier in the LCI. It's only 460 watts of complete garbage.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 01:16 PM   #32
Ready4M
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

I have this as well - it's annoying, but the fastest way to fix it is to click 'COM', disconnect your phone and reconnect. Takes about 10 seconds and it's back.
Appreciate 0