BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-15-2023, 07:15 PM   #23
davewolfs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCook View Post
Interesting. When I priced out what I wanted (using xdrive, so apples to apples) the difference in price was closer to $5k. After factoring in the current PHEV tax credit of $3750, the difference between the 40i and 50e was closer to $1k.
It depends how you do it.

If you shop around you should be able to get 8% off on the 40i.

No discounts on 50e unless you get the tax credit which requires staying below 80k.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 07:40 PM   #24
KT_OH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewolfs View Post
It depends how you do it.

If you shop around you should be able to get 8% off on the 40i.

No discounts on 50e unless you get the tax credit which requires staying below 80k.
There are discounts available on the 50e. Agree they are less than 40i, but i have a 50e I just took delivery - I got about $1,500 off MSRP and $750 corporate sales incentive from BMW. The tax credit is hard to get with the $80K limit though.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 08:09 PM   #25
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_OH View Post
There are discounts available on the 50e. Agree they are less than 40i, but i have a 50e I just took delivery - I got about $1,500 off MSRP and $750 corporate sales incentive from BMW. The tax credit is hard to get with the $80K limit though.
Did you negotiate the $1500 at order or did you ask for it during pickup/signing?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 08:39 PM   #26
KT_OH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Did you negotiate the $1500 at order or did you ask for it during pickup/signing?
Negotiated $1,250 discount when ordered. I did not mention the $750 rebate then. When mine was delayed, I knew they would want to revisit my trade in. My trade-in was lowered based on 10 weeks from order. I offset that by getting another $250 off and the rebate. Discounts on the 50e are not much, but still should be able to pay slightly under MSRP - depending on location, market, etc.

Overall it was a reasonable process. I got $37,000 on my trade in - 2020 X5 40i with 65K miles. They will make money on that, i thought that the overall deal was fair.

EDIT: I think the PHEV is more about if that is what you want than crunching the numbers to compare. For me it makes sense. Commute to work varies, but is 25 miles one way, or 45 miles one way depending on where I am working. The longer commute has free charging so to the extent I am working there, charge when I get there and I am all set. For the shorter commute, round trip is basically the range for the battery.

Last edited by KT_OH; 06-15-2023 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
BzsBimmer3274.00
      06-15-2023, 10:28 PM   #27
CO45e
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 45e G05, 06 E83 X3, 98 E

I think there are a couple of advantages to the 45e that I have found when compared to the 40i. I have had my 45e for about 6 months and could not be happier with the purchase. The first is the resale value. I ended up on the wrong side of that because I bought my 21 45e used but the 40i is much more common vehicle and therefore seemed to depreciate faster. I understand that I will not make up the difference in price with my savings in electric vs gas but my intent in buying a PHEV was to reduce my gas consumption to the extent possible. I would have gone full EV however I also wanted the ability to road trip without the need to rely on charging infrastructure.
The other advantage is the smoothness of the EV. As opposed to a start/stop the EV portion provides a very smooth exit from a stop. I can’t imagine going back to a strictly ICE moving forward.
Appreciate 1
FastMarkA560.50
      06-16-2023, 12:01 AM   #28
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

My situation is a bit different coming from a Tesla MY LR and we have a Tesla M3 SR+ We have L2 charger at home and we also have not had any major problems with either car sans tires.

We’ve done long trips in both vehicles and with the M3, yes, charge times take about an extra couple of hours going from Nor. Cal to So. Cal (approx 420 miles one way). With the MY, not as bad adding about an hour. All things relative.

Now I’m not going to turn this into a Tesla vs. X5e argument. We love the Teslas for what they offer and the charging network is second to none.

What I miss is the creature comforts that won’t be found in any Tesla maybe ever or in the near future. My wife wants the massaging and air wicking seats, along with the folding tab headrests. I like CarPlay integration and a few of the other BMW’isms.

The plan is to ditch the MY for the 50e, leverage an adapter to use the Tesla L2 charger and save the hour or so each way to So Cal. when we go.

Hopefully the switch to BMW is worth the effort and increased finance rate. I have told many a family member that I don’t know if hybrids make a lot of sense. You’re paying for two pretty technical systems as failure points. An engine that still needs fluids and moving mechanisms paired also with a battery system that will eventually fail or need to be replaced (like a Tesla battery). It would seem an ICE or pure EV would be a “safer” or more sound bet?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #29
ALUSNA
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCook View Post
Interesting. When I priced out what I wanted (using xdrive, so apples to apples) the difference in price was closer to $5k. After factoring in the current PHEV tax credit of $3750, the difference between the 40i and 50e was closer to $1k.
Agree. Going through the numbers with the CA when ordering the 50e it became clear that the 50e, which comes with some of the options which are extra cost on the 40i, that the price difference was almost a wash. Then factor in the $3750 tax credit and the 50e is less expensive in addition to being less expensive to run. The "limiting" factor to me was the $80K MSRP to qualify for the tax credit.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #30
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

At the time I configured my 45e, a fully loaded build was just about the same price as a 40i (if not maybe cheaper due to the federal tax credit). I love my X5e, the flexibility of having the plug-in for EV use and also having the ability to use ICE is pretty convenient for longer drives. To date my total mileage accounts to 3/4 being electric and the remainder being gas.
Appreciate 1
BzsBimmer3274.00
      01-02-2024, 08:34 AM   #31
Kostyan
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46, e70

Happy New Year guys. I am having a hard time understanding if x5 PHEV is going to make sense for me as a next vehicle, vs xdrive40i. Key points:
- Would only buy used (xdrive45e)
- Objective: have the same gas tank range as my E70 xdrive35d to have less frequent need to visit the gas station, through fuel economy/superior MPG
- Live in a detached house and am able to install a charger. Projected cost $1500. Or charge from a regular 110v 5A outlet.
- current daily driving use case 16 mi round trips through suburban/hilly terrain and 5 street lights along the way to take kids off to school. Some days have a many as 4 such trips. Because of terrain, not certain if will achieve superior mpg because EV may not give enough power.
- hwy driving and mpg is equally important for commutes to work. Not commuting a lot now but important because more employers require work from office. Starting next month, it will be 2 160-mi hwy commutes/mo for me. There are also occasional family hwy trips. Am I correct that on a long hwy trip, including battery self-recharge cycles, PHEV gets around 28mpg combined , which is barely any improvement over regular gasser?

With all of my love for technology, I am not convinced that G05 PHEV makes sense vs. regular gasser....Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:21 AM   #32
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostyan View Post
Happy New Year guys. I am having a hard time understanding if x5 PHEV is going to make sense for me as a next vehicle, vs xdrive40i. Key points:
- Would only buy used (xdrive45e)
- Objective: have the same gas tank range as my E70 xdrive35d to have less frequent need to visit the gas station, through fuel economy/superior MPG
- Live in a detached house and am able to install a charger. Projected cost $1500. Or charge from a regular 110v 5A outlet.
- current daily driving use case 16 mi round trips through suburban/hilly terrain and 5 street lights along the way to take kids off to school. Some days have a many as 4 such trips. Because of terrain, not certain if will achieve superior mpg because EV may not give enough power.
- hwy driving and mpg is equally important for commutes to work. Not commuting a lot now but important because more employers require work from office. Starting next month, it will be 2 160-mi hwy commutes/mo for me. There are also occasional family hwy trips. Am I correct that on a long hwy trip, including battery self-recharge cycles, PHEV gets around 28mpg combined , which is barely any improvement over regular gasser?

With all of my love for technology, I am not convinced that G05 PHEV makes sense vs. regular gasser....Thoughts?
1) gas tank is smaller in the 45e versus 40i, so when highways will become your predominant route of travel, go 40i. until then, the 45e won't fit your current use case because of exceeding the number of available electric miles from your frequent small trips, though one can still argue electric use will augment fuel use (the distance you drive under electric power is distance you don't use fuel). i drive fully under electric power during the work week and use the ICE mostly on road trips, so gas station visits only occur around trips compared to every 1.5-2 weeks on my previous Audi Q7. i also have solar that helps me save on recharging costs.

2) if utilizing most or all of its electric range daily, installing a level 2 charger is needed. charging level 1 off 110V will take more than a day to fully charge from empty, and if your circuit is only 5A, then you can only charge at 4A, but the minimum charging speed on the 45e is 6A so your circuit won't do. (did you mean 110V 15A?) $1500 is what it is, but you can file for the charging station federal tax credit next year to recoup some costs (if you qualify).

3) while acceleration under full electric power can be anemic depending on the situation (don't expect Tesla performance), i still usually pull quickly ahead of the pack at stop lights. still, it's plenty powerful when cruising and taking hills

4) Hybrid Eco Pro yields the highest mpg on our road trips at 33mpg. i'm not babying it, either. other drive modes yield 26-28mpg. YMMV as other factors can affect it (temperature, HVAC use, driving style, terrain, etc)
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 06:22 PM   #33
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostyan View Post
I'm from UK but if you've posted this right and you've got a diesel then on long highway trips neither a 50e or 40i is going to stack up in mpg. Got to be a trip long enough to run the battery out though and no where to charge it. Generally you'll get far longer ranges on a diesel per tank also. Not sure about your gen 35d but the current ones can probably clock in towards 700 miles a tank at a guess on a long run. In a 7 series and if careful you can get over 1,000 miles a tank with same engine.

Shorter trips the 50e will beat it but what a lot of comparisons miss is unless you have solar, electricity also has a cost.

From my point of view, it's not about the cost. As others say there's other benefits to a PHEV or EV that are worth the extra money. Same as some buy V8's over lesser engined models.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 02:53 PM   #34
rontcarb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 PHEV

First time BMW owner with a 2024 BMW X5 PHEV and love it. Had it for over a month. Love all the modes from electric to hybrid to sport. Easy to switch. I wish the engine had more miles on electric, getting 40 plus, but i too didnt want a full EV, and love it and the hybrid features.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2024, 11:55 AM   #35
lordcambridge
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 PHEV

Love it

When I was looking to replace my 2017 X5, which I loved, I had three things pulling at me:
1. Drive: Wanted a car with the fit/finish and drive of an X5
2. Environmentally: I was looking at electric cars. I loved the Tesla Model 3 that I had owned a few years back and would easily do electric again. I'm a planner, so electric vehicles are not a burden for me.
3. Hauler: I needed something to haul my 5k lb boat, so I was considering trucks.

I hit the jackpot with my 2023 X5 45e. It does all three. It's like an electric vehicle with an engine that will haul a boat. And it's a BMW. Buying it pre-owned (1 year old with 10k miles) was a great deal. Couldn't be happier with the vehicle.

Do have a question for this informed group. If I'm in Electric mode and want to conserve juice, I am switching to 'Sport' mode...typically on a highway. Does the engine work at higher rpms (thus using more fuel) in sport mode on the highway vs. another mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 12:34 PM   #36
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcambridge View Post
When I was looking to replace my 2017 X5, which I loved, I had three things pulling at me:
1. Drive: Wanted a car with the fit/finish and drive of an X5
2. Environmentally: I was looking at electric cars. I loved the Tesla Model 3 that I had owned a few years back and would easily do electric again. I'm a planner, so electric vehicles are not a burden for me.
3. Hauler: I needed something to haul my 5k lb boat, so I was considering trucks.

I hit the jackpot with my 2023 X5 45e. It does all three. It's like an electric vehicle with an engine that will haul a boat. And it's a BMW. Buying it pre-owned (1 year old with 10k miles) was a great deal. Couldn't be happier with the vehicle.

Do have a question for this informed group. If I'm in Electric mode and want to conserve juice, I am switching to 'Sport' mode...typically on a highway. Does the engine work at higher rpms (thus using more fuel) in sport mode on the highway vs. another mode?
For sport mode rpm, not it isn’t higher at cruising speed. After all gear ratio is fixed. As long as same gear is used, rpm is the same.