E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Evo 8/9 vs 335i around the track?

05-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
natedog7700
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp

Evo 8/9 vs 335i around the track?

Just curious what would be a better handling car around the track given both are bone stock except BOTH having the same wheel/tire combo. What would win?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Evo no questions asked. Will corner harder, come out the corner harder, brake later due to its better brake system
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobmw_e90 View Post
Evo no questions asked. Will corner harder, come out the corner harder, brake later due to its better brake system
Agreed. Not to mention the suspension is much more performance-tuned than the floaty stuff with the 335i. By design, since the 335i is more of a luxury car.

The Evo is a beast even out of the box. It's a shame the interior was always garbage.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
natedog7700
Captain
Rep

How far off is the Evo 10? I found an article comparing the EVO 10 and 335 Here:http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/la...ison-test.html

They both run similar numbers for braking, skid pad and acceleration. The BMW actually stops better on this specific test.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700 View Post
How far off is the Evo 10? I found an article comparing the EVO 10 and 335 Here:http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/la...ison-test.html

They both run similar numbers for braking, skid pad and acceleration. The BMW actually stops better on this specific test.
Evo 10 was a downgrade from a evo 8/9.mitsubishi tried hard to make it work interior wise and made the ride less harsh, but that didn't work so well
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:

Which track, that you know of, consists only of constant radius turns and straight line accelerating and braking? Which track also requires you to come to a full stop before turning and accelerating?

And even if you DO find a track that consists of nothing but constant radius turns and straight line acceleration and braking, and despite both cars publishing nearly identical brake, skidpad, and acceleration numbers, the fact that an AWD with mechanical LSD all around (center, front, and rear) will simply be able to get on the throttle sooner and laid down power LONGER will mean the EVO will be anywhere between .1-.2 seconds FASTER per turn on the course, and and potentially up to another .2 second faster due to higher terminal speed down the straight (due to that .1 second advantage of being able to apply throttle sooner). On an average road course with, say, 12 turns, the advantage can be as much as 4-5 seconds per lap.

That's a freakin' eternity.

I've actually driven the EVO 10 and an E92 M3 back to back on an autocross course (about 30 seconds per lap). The EVO 10 churned faster times. The AWD system is an intangible that simple instrumentation testing won't be able to account for in real world applications for performance driving.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4dr View Post
The Evo is a beast even out of the box. It's a shame the interior was always garbage.
NT
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 5
      05-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
By design, since the 335i is more of a luxury car.
I drive one and please enlighten me, what is luxurious about 335i ?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobmw_e90 View Post
I frequently track with Evo 9 & 10 in intermeadiate group. My engine is stock. Upgraded suspension and brakes. The stock Evo goes around the truck a lot faster, as fast tuned 335i. Is easier to drive to begin with, is also ligher, smaller. Only o. longer straights is an even fight.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #10
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just curious what would be a better handling car around the track given both are bone stock except BOTH having the same wheel/tire combo. What would win?
Come down to ACC Joliet, IL this weeknd and see for yourself
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 12:59 AM   #11
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
NT
I'm not saying that as a reason it's a bad car, but that interior is even bad beyond a utilitarian perspective. I'd track the hell out of an Evo but it's a bit of a stretch to live with that every day. I thought my WRX was bad, man...

If I had a choice between the two for a track car, I'd buy the Evo hands down. My WRX was a ton of fun to drive and its Fisher-Price interior was one step above the Evo. Still miss that car every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I drive one and please enlighten me, what is luxurious about 335i ?
Compared to an Evo? Literally everything.

Last edited by r4dr; 05-14-2016 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 02:34 AM   #12
philo 7
Rep
Drives: e92 335i dct

I come from 10 years of evo 4,7and 8 ownership
ive got a r32gtr now and just purchased a 2012 335i dct
the jap cars are great on the track,mostly the steering,chassis feel
im prepping the 335 for annual trip to spa and nurburgring ,and I think the bmw will suit the flowing , fast, ring especialy
the times will tell !!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #13
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
I'm not saying that as a reason it's a bad car, but that interior is even bad beyond a utilitarian perspective. I'd track the hell out of an Evo but it's a bit of a stretch to live with that every day. I thought my WRX was bad, man...

If I had a choice between the two for a track car, I'd buy the Evo hands down. My WRX was a ton of fun to drive and its Fisher-Price interior was one step above the Evo. Still miss that car every day.

I made that chart for fun. Even the most ardent BMW fanboi should find the humor in that.

And while the chart strikes true about BMW fanboi logic, it also points out that BMWs DO strike a fine balance between performance, both in a straight line and "teh twisties," luxury, and value...that a car were to excel in all those areas more than your typical BMW and cheaper is hard to find.

Although, to be honest, in the last half dozen years they're more and more cars that are a better balance of all tangibles than a BMW. Maybe the world IS coming to an end.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you are comparing like that even the Evo is a luxury car let say compared to Lada, however, realistically neither is. List me the features, the fit and finish, the build quality that would make the 335i at about $50k new so distinctive to be classified as luxury car. To me none, 335i is everyday car. But it could be just the perception, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #15
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
Quote:
If you are comparing like that even the Evo is a luxury car let say compared to Lada, however, realistically neither is. List me the features, the fit and finish, the build quality that would make the 335i at about $50k new so distinctive to be classified as luxury car. To me none, 335i is everyday car. But it could be just the perception, right?
http://www.caranddriver.com/best-sedans

Car and driver classifies the 3 series as entry level Luxury
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #16
natedog7700
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Which track, that you know of, consists only of constant radius turns and straight line accelerating and braking? Which track also requires you to come to a full stop before turning and accelerating?

And even if you DO find a track that consists of nothing but constant radius turns and straight line acceleration and braking, and despite both cars publishing nearly identical brake, skidpad, and acceleration numbers, the fact that an AWD with mechanical LSD all around (center, front, and rear) will simply be able to get on the throttle sooner and laid down power LONGER will mean the EVO will be anywhere between .1-.2 seconds FASTER per turn on the course, and and potentially up to another .2 second faster due to higher terminal speed down the straight (due to that .1 second advantage of being able to apply throttle sooner). On an average road course with, say, 12 turns, the advantage can be as much as 4-5 seconds per lap.

That's a freakin' eternity.

I've actually driven the EVO 10 and an E92 M3 back to back on an autocross course (about 30 seconds per lap). The EVO 10 churned faster times. The AWD system is an intangible that simple instrumentation testing won't be able to account for in real world applications for performance driving.
Autocross is way different than track racing. Autocross is low speed that deals with weight, wheel base, quick transitions, and low speed sharp turns. Track racing is high speed banking curves that don't need a short wheel base or "light" nimble car per say. However, the lighter the better etc. With that being said, I'm not a "BMW fanboy" who thinks they are top sh1t. I just wanted to see what you guys thought because I was watching some videos around youtube and reading up on this specific article.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #17
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

If you are on stock suspension and brakes, Evo hands down, don't even try. Even with heavily modded car like mine, I still have problem keeping up with it on a slightly damp track, given the same driving skill and tires. AWD is a godsend on tight corners or less grippy surfaces.

That said your car, with that RB turbo and inlets, will have a significant edge on horsepower track like Road America, IF you can get your corner exist done right. But assuming you are on stock radiator and oil cooler, limp mode will get you in a lap or two with the power your engine is making...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #18
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Some comparison vs. a friend's Evo 10 (stock suspension, Cobb tune)

Road America, dry track, I (FBO w/o inlets, stock turbo, E85) was doing 2:47-2:49 with no traffic, while his car is losing quite a bit of time on the straights and doing 2:52.

Autobahn Full, damp sections here and there, we were pretty even until I had misfires half way through and drop out.

Appreciate 2
      05-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #19
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
http://www.caranddriver.com/best-sedans

Car and driver classifies the 3 series as entry level Luxury
The thing with 3 series is that the feel of the interior can varies a lot depending on the options. You can have a base 325i with crappy fake leather and horrible trim combo to a fully loaded Individual car with high quality leather and trim piece all around. That said Evo's interior is pretty damn "basic" to put it nicely, lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #20
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Autocross is way different than track racing.
No it's not. The ONLY difference between AX and track, is AX is like tracking on meth. Stuff happens much faster. But the dynamics of vehicle weight transfer, principles behind going fast in either sport, and the actual PHYSICS behind both are identical.

The "other" difference(s) between AX and track are all semantics and logistics, i.e. AX you NEVER share track space with other vehicles, vs. tracking you do, and relationship with timing (AX start/finish doesn't always overlap, while track DOES).

ANYONE who tells you that AX and tracking is different hasn't done one or the other (and do it well).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #21
natedog7700
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No it's not. The ONLY difference between AX and track, is AX is like tracking on meth. Stuff happens much faster. But the dynamics of vehicle weight transfer, principles behind going fast in either sport, and the actual PHYSICS behind both are identical.

The "other" difference(s) between AX and track are all semantics and logistics, i.e. AX you NEVER share track space with other vehicles, vs. tracking you do, and relationship with timing (AX start/finish doesn't always overlap, while track DOES).

ANYONE who tells you that AX and tracking is different hasn't done one or the other (and do it well).
Not true. Your speaking to someone who also has experience with both so i don't know where you've been. They both have common characteristics like you said, but they are totally different in their own ways as well and someone to say otherwise, is full of crap IMO.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #22
natedog7700
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Some comparison vs. a friend's Evo 10 (stock suspension, Cobb tune)

Road America, dry track, I (FBO w/o inlets, stock turbo, E85) was doing 2:47-2:49 with no traffic, while his car is losing quite a bit of time on the straights and doing 2:52.

Autobahn Full, damp sections here and there, we were pretty even until I had misfires half way through and drop out.

Road America! I live an hour away and been there a couple times! What wheel/tire combo where you and the EVO running? Im currently on 255's (square) with Ventus RS3's.

Cool video's thanks for sharing!

Last edited by natedog7700; 05-16-2016 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0