04-09-2023, 12:47 PM   #1
zgb2008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
I recently tuned my 2019 x5 40i with Bootmod3 and thought this may help anyone since literature is scarce for BM3 and the g05.

My car is a 2019 40i x drive non m sport with 61k miles. Originally was supposed to be my daily driver but have since committed sending my C8 to Callaway so I needed a toy to play with myself. Now I need a daily driver. I do plan on switching to e30, and then probably will upgrade the turbo and cooling.

My mods
VRSF catless downpipe and resonator delete
HPS intake
NGK spark plugs - factory gap
Bootmod3 Stage 2 93octane

I should also add I am not at all qualified to form an opinion on anything car related. But like 99% of this forum, I can afford a BMW so naturally I must be good at everything.

So far I have only checked 0-60 times on stage 1 93octane. My best time was 4.22 and read through OBD so unsure if accurate. I will update when I have a dragy.

Here are my thoughts/conclusions.

- Due to the small amount of people with the x5 40i that tune them, the software is limited, and honestly, I don’t think the BM3 team even realized that certain features didn’t work in our cars. Customrom is unavailable currently so map switching, anti lag, and a bunch of other features are unavailable.

- This is why I say the BM3 team didn’t realize; I flashed a customrom map and only anti lag worked, they told me to re flash it, and kind of responded in a way that they assumed I was an idiot and not following the directions on map switching. They asked me to take a video even, to verify lol. They then said “oh sorry, customrom is not currently available for your car”…the kicker, and I didn’t even bother saying this to them because they would probably ask me to shoot an entire Hollywood production to prove it, is anti lag was working. I am sure they get 1000s of support requests a week and 96% are probably user error so they get frustrated, but I would give the support a 3.8/10 after my first experience.

- The next issue is that the tunes for our car fall under B58 - T0 - C, and many customrom maps are available, meaning these tunes are used in different cars. The problem here is I believe these tunes are going to be designed for the popular tuning models( i.e. m240i, 340i, Supra). One OTS tune will work for all of them, because they all weigh within 3-400lbs of each other. We, however, are 1200+ lbs heavier so I would imagine, with my limited tuning knowledge, the tunes should be adjusted to accommodate our cars. This is a guess and I build houses for a living, not cars, so while I’m using general logic and drawing this conclusion, I may be far off. No one on any forum or Facebook can prove this theory wrong though, and I do not want to be asked by the BM guys to video the inside of my brain to see how I came to this assumption, so I’ll leave it alone for now.

- The biggest reason I make the above assumption - The car RIPS in sport+ and Sport transmission. 60-120 I have beaten a bolt on 5.0 mustang and focus RS. BUT from a dig, it does not launch like it did with the JB4. Which it should - theoretically, should launch better since really all the JB4 does is trick the ECU into providing 6psi of boost over target and BM3 is reprogramming the car to provide more while also making any other necessary tuning changes to yield the best result, but why? My best answer would be because the JB4 is using the factory designed tune for the car and improving it, BM3 is using a tune designed for a smaller car so maybe the torque reduction on the OTS maps is best for the lighter cars? Again, this is an uneducated guess.

- In any drive mode if the car is in the regular transmission mode, the car is almost undrivable. In comfort it shifts through all 8 gears almost instantly, at 1500rpm. Then if you floor it, just builds a ton of boost and can’t get out of its own way. ECOpro and adaptive are the same. When asked BM support responded with “car has lots of torque now - no need to downshift”. This is another reason I think the OTS tuning is wrong. This issue is easily fixed by just using the Sport selection on the gear shifter.

-I think a TCU tune is probably the best answer; but none are available. YET. xHP said they plan on having one in the coming months. I think with BM3, TCU tune, downpipe and an e50 fuel mixture the 40i will beat the m50i in both 0-60 and a quarter mile. And while spending $20k less and getting 10 more mpg. Throw another 3-4k in that and you are in that and you are in x5m territory while being 550 lbs less. This is where all the M owners say “f*** off you dumb American” and leave a reply letting us know that they bought an M because they have much more money and are much more intelligent, oh and obviously the sound. Before you all get all upset, I obviously joke a lot.

- Using both the iOS version and using my Mac, it’s incredibly user friendly. If you are only using OTS maps, it’s fool proof. It’s homestly harder to reset your iCloud password then flash an OTS map.

- I should add I got an average of 27.5mpg on a 40 mile drive average about 78 mph while using ecopro and regular gear selection. Which is 4mpg better then I have ever gotten. That alone, IMO, makes BM3 worth the money. My average since install has gone from 21.7 to 17.8 because the car is truly enjoyable to drive now.

I would honestly recommend BM3 to anyone. The team like mentioned above, doesn’t give me warm and fuzzy vibes, but honestly, they don’t have too. They answer the questions asked; and QUICK, like 30-45 mins quick. They also offer a very good product, yes I believe the X5 version probably could be tweaked, but again, I’ll leave that to them, or any custom tuner, because for all I know the car is running exactly how they intended. I am one person that if I like the product, you can treat me like complete shit and I’ll live with it, anyone with a wife can relate.
Appreciate 4
mobilejo1114.50
lithe31.00
X3_Alaska142.00
      04-09-2023, 03:09 PM   #2
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgb2008 View Post
I recently tuned my 2019 x5 40i with Bootmod3 and thought this may help anyone since literature is scarce for BM3 and the g05.

My car is a 2019 40i x drive non m sport with 61k miles. Originally was supposed to be my daily driver but have since committed sending my C8 to Callaway so I needed a toy to play with myself. Now I need a daily driver. I do plan on switching to e30, and then probably will upgrade the turbo and cooling.

My mods
HPS intake

I should also add I am not at all qualified to form an opinion on anything car related. But like 99% of this forum, I can afford a BMW so naturally I must be good at everything.

So far I have only checked 0-60 times on stage 1 93octane. My best time was 4.22 and read through OBD so unsure if accurate. I will update when I have a dragy.

- Due to the small amount of people with the x5 40i that tune them, the software is limited, and honestly, I don’t think the BM3 team even realized that certain features didn’t work in our cars. Customrom is unavailable currently so map switching, anti lag, and a bunch of other features are unavailable.

- This is why I say the BM3 team didn’t realize; I flashed a customrom map and only anti lag worked, they told me to re flash it, and kind of responded in a way that they assumed I was an idiot and not following the directions on map switching. They asked me to take a video even, to verify lol. They then said “oh sorry, customrom is not currently [...]
This was awesome. I lol’d a few times. Thanks for sharing your experience brother.
I’ll be doing the same with MHD. Any perspective on how optimistic they were about the couple months? Please attach a video recording of your thoughts in your response.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

What about reaching out to one of the custom tuners that leverage the BM3 platform? They'll work with you and ask for logs and make adjustments that fit the G05 versus an OTS designed for lighter cars like you said. It's possible the OTS is too aggressive for the weight difference is causing knock and it's pulling timing. I had a similar experience with the Carbahn piggyback for my X7 M50i. The tune was designed and tested around an M550i and my car actually ran worse than without it.

https://www.pauljohnsontunes.com/col...ducts/b58-tune
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      04-09-2023, 04:38 PM   #4
zgb2008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f32_027 View Post
This was awesome. I lol’d a few times. Thanks for sharing your experience brother.
I’ll be doing the same with MHD. Any perspective on how optimistic they were about the couple months? Please attach a video recording of your thoughts in your response.
My fault, I said MHD, I meant xHP. Fixed it in my write up. The exact response was this -
“We do not yet support the G05 X5 platform but plan to do so in the upcoming months.”

So I am hoping that’s accurate because I feel that would help the car a lot.
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      04-09-2023, 04:58 PM   #5
zgb2008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
What about reaching out to one of the custom tuners that leverage the BM3 platform? They'll work with you and ask for logs and make adjustments that fit the G05 versus an OTS designed for lighter cars like you said. It's possible the OTS is too aggressive for the weight difference is causing knock and it's pulling timing. I had a similar experience with the Carbahn piggyback for my X7 M50i. The tune was designed and tested around an M550i and my car actually ran worse than without it.

https://www.pauljohnsontunes.com/col...ducts/b58-tune

Yes, I have thought about this and probably will eventually, just waiting to decide if I pull the trigger on turbo and hpfp so I get the most out of the tune.
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      04-09-2023, 05:54 PM   #6
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep

zgb2008 did you end up retrofitting the m240i exhaust? Or are you satisfied with the sound of your exhaust now?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 11:22 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 03:42 PM   #8
zgb2008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
zgb2008 did you end up retrofitting the m240i exhaust? Or are you satisfied with the sound of your exhaust now?

I did not because local muffler shop said for $750 they can do a custom muffler set up with dual tips out of each side. Probably what I’ll do but next mods will be brakes and suspension. Also with bootmod was able to fine tune the exhaust sound and happy with what I have for having stock muffler.

https://youtu.be/OglJxTvPynU
Appreciate 3
gx5_027200.00
lithe31.00
      04-11-2023, 08:51 PM   #9
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Great and very useful feedback.

The shifting behaviour is odd - i don't recall the stock maps shifting at 1500rpm? It reminds me of people flashing the M4 GTS transmission onto the F87 M2 - it just wasn't suitable in comfort/auto.

I wonder if there's a coding option to select a different transmission profile.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 09:52 PM   #10
D10
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw g05, bmw g06

Garage List
2020 BMW x5  [0.00]
Quote:

My mods
HPS intake

- This is why I say the BM3 team didn’t realize; I flashed a customrom map and only anti lag worked, they told me to re flash it, and kind of responded in a way that they assumed I was an idiot and not following the directions on map switching. They asked me to take a video even, to verify lol. They then said “oh sorry, customrom is not currently [...]
I don’t get it dude, do you like it or not? You have me more confused than my wife.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 11:24 AM   #11
zgb2008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
I don’t get it dude, do you like it or not? You have me more confused than my wife.

I do like it. I don’t think it’s fine tuned for the x5, yet. In sport+ and sport transmission, the car is a lot of fun. I think with a TCU tune and a custom tune for the x5, I would love it. I have only found about 10 other people on the internet running BM3 on a b58 g05 so I understand why it isn’t refined so I am willing to deal with the trial and error stuff.
Appreciate 2
D1038.50
lithe31.00
      04-17-2023, 01:46 PM   #12
Blueboxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

My BM3 for my F10 was perfect and a night and day difference, their customer service tends to be prompt, but as you experienced they will assume you made the common mistakes by default without listening much initially. The F10 came with the TCU tune as well, which was the perfect compliment to the performance tune. The new V3 wireless ODBII port is pretty sweet as well, it works for all F and G series, which is a nice bonus.

Unfortunately, they don't seem intent to offer anything for the X50i, I will probably look at RaceChips or Dinan for that vehicle, but the wireless port at least supports popular coding platforms.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 03:38 PM   #13
Belnir
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 - sapphire black

Quote:
I think with BM3, TCU tune, downpipe and an e50 fuel mixture the 40i will beat the m50i in both 0-60 and a quarter mile. And while spending $20k less and getting 10 more mpg. Throw another 3-4k in that and you are in that and you are in x5m territory while being 550 lbs less.
i also have a 40i and I like where youre going with this. My goals with mods were to improve comfort and mileage, so I reduced unsprung weight by 67 pounds whilst increasing sidewall and mileage. If what youre saying is true... that your mileage went up by 4 mpg just by programming this tune, then im sold and will pick this up to test. additionally, im not sure if youre aware of this, but the final drives are all swappable and can be picked up from auto wreckers, etc. the V8 models all use 3.15 final drives. the b58 40i's use a 3.39 ratio. YOU CAN GET a shorter drive and get faster acceleration if thats what youre looking to get. like i said, I am in mileage and am considering the 3.15 ratio. I want to get over 30mpg...
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      04-17-2023, 04:00 PM   #14
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belnir View Post
i also have a 40i and I like where youre going with this. My goals with mods were to improve comfort and mileage, so I reduced unsprung weight by 67 pounds whilst increasing sidewall and mileage. If what youre saying is true... that your mileage went up by 4 mpg just by programming this tune, then im sold and will pick this up to test. additionally, im not sure if youre aware of this, but the final drives are all swappable and can be picked up from auto wreckers, etc. the V8 models all use 3.15 final drives. the b58 40i's use a 3.39 ratio. YOU CAN GET a shorter drive and get faster acceleration if thats what youre looking to get. like i said, I am in mileage and am considering the 3.15 ratio. I want to get over 30mpg...
Belnir what’s a final drive?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 04:15 PM   #15
Belnir
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 - sapphire black

Quote:
Belnir what’s a final drive?
differential ratio. if you have xdrive then you will have two (front and rear). if sdrive, then just the rear differential. I have not seen anyone online swap these yet. An x5m owner can definitely achieve faster acceleration just by swapping the 3.15 with a 3.39 or higher. It effectively increases the torque at the wheels at the expense of top speed.
Appreciate 1
zgb200848.00
      04-20-2023, 11:24 PM   #16
bert80
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

I have a 2020 G05 x40i Msport package on the 21” inch offset wheels. Went stage 2 with a VRSF Catless, one step colder plugs, new coils right at the start of tuning so I cannot compare to stage 1 strictly compared to stock. I did add a burger motor sports intake prior to tuning. I can say prior to tuning the BMS intake made the car pull smoother and audibly louder. No dyno whatsoever to back it up nothing crazy though. Went stage 2 bootmod3 quickly after and upgraded coils, plugs, and downpipe. Pulls very hard. I do agree shift points seem a bit off at times especially 4th into 5th. XHP reported they were working on a tune for our transmissions but I opt to either shift manually when not in sport plus and want to drive aggressively or keep in sport +. Know that you aren’t the only one. I plan on doing the flex fuel kit and running it with the custom rom. Just don’t have much e85 out where I live in New Jersey. So I wouldn’t run it until the flex fuel kit gets released which is apparently next week.
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      05-03-2023, 08:35 AM   #17
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Can you post a comparison of the Jb4 to the BM3 tune? Is the JB4 a good choice for someone not wanting to mess with the bench unlock hassle..but some extra smooth horsepower without causing issues?
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      05-03-2023, 08:37 PM   #18
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_CG View Post
Can you post a comparison of the Jb4 to the BM3 tune? Is the JB4 a good choice for someone not wanting to mess with the bench unlock hassle..but some extra smooth horsepower without causing issues?
Big_CG it should be way smoother but you don’t even have to worry about a bench unlock depending on the year of your x5 - what year is yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 09:36 AM   #19
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx5_027 View Post
Big_CG it should be way smoother but you don’t even have to worry about a bench unlock depending on the year of your x5 - what year is yours?
2020, when i connect to the app BM3 support desk said it needs bench unlock
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 10:52 AM   #20
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_CG View Post
2020, when i connect to the app BM3 support desk said it needs bench unlock
Got it - I don’t have experience with jb4, but seems like the cheapest option for a temporary solution until the DME’s for your year + are cracked.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 08:37 PM   #21
D10
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW x5  [0.00]
Did you have a parking assist error installing? I’m getting this right now as I’m installing..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 10:46 PM   #22
D10
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW x5  [0.00]
So a full day a work to bench unlock and tune.
The guy for the bench unlock took his sweet time but when I got it back and installed it I put everything together and I had a Christmas tree light up the car wouldn’t start turns out I bent a pin.. figured that out 40 mins later. Fixed it but still had the parking assist bs on after a few hours I just said let’s just tune it and call it a day. Tuned it to a stage 2 91 profile. All lights and errors gone.
Moral of the story, don’t touch if you don’t know lol.
Tune is fantastic had our tuner set up everything. The car does not feel like the same car, big improvement in power.

Happy camper.
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00