BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-05-2021, 10:46 PM   #1
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4

Need help with diagnose dash cam installation not turning on

Hi everyone! Hopefully I can get some help with figuring out what's going on with the installation I just did on BlackVue 900x-2ch plus. Dash cam does not turn on when the vehicle is on. I connected F27 (constant ON) to the battery cable and F72 (power turns off after 10+ minutes) to the ACC cable. I also connected the ground cable to the ground bolt of the vehicle. Both 27 and 72 are empty slots and have power.

I tested it prior to routing all the cables front and back. Then after putting everything together, it doesn't turn on at all. It works with the cigarette adapter cable which means the unit is good. Both fuses are good, tested with probe and have power as well (ground cable has not moved). Also tested another slot (F62) but still the same problem.

Attaching a few pictures so you can see the taps and how it's connected.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Issue solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgobak View Post
Hi everyone! Hopefully I can get some help with figuring out what's going on with the installation I just did on BlackVue 900x-2ch plus. Dash cam does not turn on when the vehicle is on. I connected F27 (constant ON) to the battery cable and F72 (power turns off after 10+ minutes) to the ACC cable. I also connected the ground cable to the ground bolt of the vehicle. Both 27 and 72 are empty slots and have power.

I tested it prior to routing all the cables front and back. Then after putting everything together, it doesn't turn on at all. It works with the cigarette adapter cable which means the unit is good. Both fuses are good, tested with probe and have power as well (ground cable has not moved). Also tested another slot (F62) but still the same problem.

Attaching a few pictures so you can see the taps and how it's connected.
I was able to figure out the problem after additional testing. The problem was a blown F2A fuse on the Batt wire to the camera. Root cause was I used a 15 Amp ATC and mini fuse to tap into unused F27 and F72, but only the fuse on batt wire was blown. Hope this post will help others in the future; make sure to use 5 Amp fuse for both wires on fuse taps!! I learned a lot from this installation and it also forced me to put on my logical troubleshooting hat.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:35 AM   #3
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

I'm about to attempt this install this week and am shocked at the amount of conflicting information regarding what fuses, what routing, etc. to use for BlackVue 2ch install. Every write up and YouTube video are all different and there doesn't seem to be one universally agreed upon method. Glad you got it figured out.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #4
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
I'm about to attempt this install this week and am shocked at the amount of conflicting information regarding what fuses, what routing, etc. to use for BlackVue 2ch install. Every write up and YouTube video are all different and there doesn't seem to be one universally agreed upon method. Glad you got it figured out.
Yep, a lot of information on this forum and I watched a lot of YouTube videos to understand the basics and piece them together. I was mostly concerned with the fuse and the tap as that's the part that is likely to break any sophisticated electronics with our cars nowadays, obviously safety reasons also. The other thing I thought about is the airbags; to make sure the cables aren't in the way should it need to be deployed (hope that day will never come…). Most people don't include details and the reason why they chose the slot they used. I posted a question regarding which fuse to use for 2022 on one of the discussion but received no response. I'm no expert here but I believe the difference on whether the fuse slots are empty or not comes down to the features on the car. (The description of the fuse map from BMW isn't that great either.) If it's empty and it's got power, it's better to use the empty slot than piggy back off of the slot already in use by the car. If you piggy back off of ones already in use, I'm sure it'll have no problem as long as you insert the tap with the right orientation as that will make a difference when the fuse is somehow blown for whatever reason down the road.

Take your time on the installation, be safe and good luck!
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgobak View Post
Quote:
Yep, a lot of information on this forum and I watched a lot of YouTube videos to understand the basics and piece them together. I was mostly concerned with the fuse and the tap as that's the part that is likely to break any sophisticated electronics with our cars nowadays, obviously safety reasons also. The other thing I thought about is the airbags; to make sure the cables aren't in the way should it need to be deployed (hope that day will never come…). Most people don't include details and the reason why they chose the slot they used. I posted a question regarding which fuse to use for 2022 on one of the discussion but received no response. I'm no expert here but I believe the difference on whether the fuse slots are empty or not comes down to the features on the car. (The description of the fuse map from BMW isn't that great either.) If it's empty and it's got power, it's better to use the empty slot than piggy back off of the slot already in use by the car. If you piggy back off of ones already in use, I'm sure it'll have no problem as long as you insert the tap with the right orientation as that will make a difference when the fuse is somehow blown for whatever reason down the road.

Take your time on the installation, be safe and good luck!
Thanks. I'm just still not sure whether to use a 5A? 10A? 20A? What fuse style does BMW use? The wire routing I can figure out I'm just no electrical engineer and fuses and amps and whatnot aren't my specialty and everything I read is conflicting. Either way I'll figure it out one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I am having an expert do the same install on my 2022 x5 vermillion. Hopefully he doesn't blow a fuse!

Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:29 PM   #7
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I'm just still not sure whether to use a 5A? 10A? 20A? What fuse style does BMW use? The wire routing I can figure out I'm just no electrical engineer and fuses and amps and whatnot aren't my specialty and everything I read is conflicting. Either way I'll figure it out one way or another.
Quote:
UpstateCP I'm not an expert here, so use this info here at your discretion... If you read my update on the root cause, I blew a F2A fuse when I used 15AMP fuse on the fuse tap that connects to F27 slot, which uses ATC fuse (regular size fuse). So don't use anything over 5A. This not only come from my own 'experiment' but also from the BlackVue support. I included a screenshot of their email support response from them which recommended using 1A to 5A... You'll also see other Youtube videos on BlackVue installations, they all use 5A as well. I'm including a Youtube video here from their response but it's intended for installation with Black Magic Pro which I told them I don't have, but it's the same concept. One thing I find annoying is I couldn't find what fuse AMP to use from BlackVue support page, otherwise, I wouldn't have blown a F2A...

To answer your other question in addition to the F27 empty slot which uses ATC fuse, I used F72 empty slot mini fuse which also uses 5A. If you just google ATC Fuse or mini fuse, you'll see the difference.
For added bonus, here's a really good video on the basics of different types of fuse and understanding of using fuse tap. I used F27 and F72 because they are both empty and was recommended by one of the member here.

Anyways, technologies on these cars nowadays changed so much and the cost to fix these things will cost you an arm and a leg. I took a chance to do the installation myself as I did have some experience with hard wire radar detectors in my past cars 20+ years ago... so it wasn't too hard for me at all. It just wasn't enough info from SSOT (single source of truth) and frankly should already included in the BlackVue manual or their support site but I just couldn't find it for some reason.... So if you still have any doubt on the install, probably would be best to have a professional do it. FWIW, I got a quote from a car audio pro shop, it was going to be $300 for the install...
Attached Images

Last edited by cantgobak; 12-08-2021 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 07:40 PM   #8
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I am having an expert do the same install on my 2022 x5 vermillion. Hopefully he doesn't blow a fuse!

Fingers crossed.
Nice! Save energy and some of that hair loss trying to figure out those needed details!! You better hope the shop does it right!!
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 11:12 PM   #9
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

So I'm having a rather puzzling issue at the end of my install of my dr900s-2ch.

Everything seems to be fine for a few hours or so, and then, out of the blue, the camera goes into an endless loop of "parking mode on, parking mode off, parking mode on, parking mode off, etc." I can unplug it and plug it back in, but to no avail. If I leave it unplugged and come back after the vehicle power cycles, it again appears to be fine for a few hours.

That's been causing me to switch to the lighter adapter in between, but I'm sure I've made a dumb mistake somewhere. Any ideas from your recent experience, OP?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5 View Post
So I'm having a rather puzzling issue at the end of my install of my dr900s-2ch.

Everything seems to be fine for a few hours or so, and then, out of the blue, the camera goes into an endless loop of "parking mode on, parking mode off, parking mode on, parking mode off, etc." I can unplug it and plug it back in, but to no avail. If I leave it unplugged and come back after the vehicle power cycles, it again appears to be fine for a few hours.

That's been causing me to switch to the lighter adapter in between, but I'm sure I've made a dumb mistake somewhere. Any ideas from your recent experience, OP?

I have not ran into this problem so not sure if I have any good input for your. I'm also still educating myself on the logic of how everything is supposed to work. I reviewed the "Notifications" captured in the app, it would exit parking mode when motion is detected then it would randomly enter parking mode between 1 min and 10 minutes according to my notifications.

Like I said, I'm still trying to figure out how this all work. But from looking at my notifications, it would seem that if motion is detected, it's pretty consistent that it would exit and re-enter parking mode. Perhaps you have the sensitivity level setup too high? There is also another screen in the app to let you select which part of the 'screen area' you want the camera to detect motions, you might want to check that too.

These notifications are captured when my car is in the garage, so I know exactly what time I was in the garage and when the motion was detected. You might want to do the same to just test it out and see if it's because of motion detection.
Appreciate 1
DG-X5171.00