BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #1
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Speedo off considerably post update (fixed - Coding error)

Since the recent update 19-11-540 to 20-7-560, i noticed the speedo has been off following a speed cam flash while i thought i was under the limit.

The difference is most noticeable at highway speeds which is closer to 10 - 15 Km/h. so when the speedo shows 118KmH, GPS says 129Kmh.

The interesting thing is that when i set the ACC it recognises the speed is off and will compensate so for example:
I would set the ACC to 120Km/H so the ACC will show 120, and speedo will remain at 113Kmh (with no cars in sight)

Seems this is a software issue so I was wondering if anyone else had faced this issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
That's odd - the speedometer should in fact read higher than the actual GPS speed (EU law), but this sounds like a different issue.
Appreciate 1
hyde556.50
      11-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
bmui1561
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05- 2021 BMW X5 x40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
Since the recent update 19-11-540 to 20-7-560, i noticed the speedo has been off following a speed cam flash while i thought i was under the limit.

The difference is most noticeable at highway speeds which is closer to 10 - 15 Km/h. so when the speedo shows 118KmH, GPS says 129Kmh.

The interesting thing is that when i set the ACC it recognises the speed is off and will compensate so for example:
I would set the ACC to 120Km/H so the ACC will show 120, and speedo will remain at 113Kmh (with no cars in sight)

Seems this is a software issue so I was wondering if anyone else had faced this issue.
I have no tests to prove but mine also seems off during highway speeds. For mine it seems higher than it actually is. In example, I'll be going with the flow of traffic and it will be saying that im going 90mph which I don't think I'm actually doing and doesn't feel like 90mph. I don't have ACC so can't test that.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

there is reader on one of the roads by my house that I have passed driving over 20 different cars and most of the time the reader read 2mph lower then what my speedo said. the only time I've ever hit that particular reader on the number is when I was driving a big truck.

can you drive by another reader and see if you get the same results? maybe issue with that particular reader

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmui1561 View Post
Quote:

I have no tests to prove but mine also seems off during highway speeds. For mine it seems higher than it actually is. In example, I'll be going with the flow of traffic and it will be saying that im going 90mph which I don't think I'm actually doing and doesn't feel like 90mph. I don't have ACC so can't test that.
Calibrating speed by "feel" is a meaningless task. Just use any of a plethora of smartphone GPS speed measuring apps including Google Maps to compare against car speedo in real time.

As stated, actual speed slightly below displayed speed is normal and has origins in German laws requiring this (search for details). OP's issue is opposite, and if true will cause speeding tickets (a financial liability) and would be against laws in certain countries. So his issue is a rather big deal.

To OP, I doubt that this is really related, but check your wheel size setup in TPMS settings to match your actual wheels. But this really shouldn't have any impact as rolling circumference should be very close to the same for all wheel setups. Otherwise have no ideas. Following.
      11-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Calibrating speed by "feel" is a meaningless task. Just use any of a plethora of smartphone GPS speed measuring apps including Google Maps to compare against car speedo in real time.

As stated, actual speed slightly below displayed speed is normal and has origins in German laws requiring this (search for details). OP's issue is opposite, and if true will cause speeding tickets (a financial liability) and would be against laws in certain countries. So his issue is a rather big deal.

To OP, I doubt that this is really related, but check your wheel size setup in TPMS settings to match your actual wheels. But this really shouldn't have any impact as rolling circumference should be very close to the same for all wheel setups. Otherwise have no ideas. Following.

Thank you all do for the responses. I did check the wheel size and it's still to spec.
After further testing today... Its seems on to about 45mph then the distended exponentially increases.

I managed to snap a photo of my speedo and ACC reading that obviously reads and adjusts for the correct speed.

Img
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
HouseMD
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

Not where my mind went when I read the title of the thread but pleasantly surprised!😂
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      11-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Mine is showing exactly 2 mph faster than my actual speed. My Audi was always dead on with the speed. I'd be the only car on the road, and overhead and road-side speed warning signs would show the exact same speed, I checked this multiple times by speeding up or slowing down.
I remember F15 and E70 also showed 2 mph faster than actual speeds.
      11-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

FIXED

so this is a case of user error, apologies everyone but i thought id post the solution in case someone else runs into it.

as i was programming via bimmercode, i've codded GESCHWINDIGKEIT_EFF_X to M sport which threw off my speedo. Not sure what it was but i mistakenly had changed while coding the M logo into my cluster. All fixed and we are back to normal again. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      11-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #10
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
FIXED

so this is a case of user error, apologies everyone but i thought id post the solution in case someone else runs into it.

as i was programming via bimmercode, i've codded GESCHWINDIGKEIT_EFF_X to M sport which threw off my speedo. Not sure what it was but i mistakenly had changed while coding the M logo into my cluster. All fixed and we are back to normal again. Thanks for the help!
Ah, interesting. Well, at least now we have a method to fake plausible deniability for speeding tickets.