BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-20-2024, 10:39 AM   #1
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

50e 4 month 6000k miles opinion (uk)

So I wanted to wait a few months before commenting on my experience.

So 6000 miles in I feel I can give an opinion,

So I think it’s best to split this into LCI and 50e

So
50e
Having come from my loved 50d, it’s been difficult accepting this car, I should have got a 40d but frankly my vanity got in the way!

I haven’t had any of the issues with battery or drive train, my issues are all mostly software, it’s been in once for a full wipe and reinstall and that helped briefly.

The car drives well, but as mentioned by another member, the transition is not smooth from electric to ICE in hybrid mode. This can get some getting used to, I now find my self driving round in Sports mode or Hydrid Sport, just to get that extra smoothness when driving.

Battery charge is very up and down as all EV,s and charging on Level 2 seems to have a negative effect too.

It lacks a proper temp gauge for ICE part and I don’t trust the little blue car symbol.

Weight! it’s clear this is a heavy car and it feels compromised on handling compared to the 50d, which wasn’t a light weight either.

Range! on combined is low, and unpredictable as battery and engine vary greatly, and is dependent on driving style, which just isn’t an issue with diesel.

Off line performance is good and addictive, but on the motorway I think the 6cyl in line engine seems the wrong engine, always needing to change down and seems stressed, which in turn makes it difficult to get used too and love.

Mpg once battery is dead isn’t great.

Fuel economy is falling! but still better than 50d but only marginally

Plugging in all the time to access the performance and economy, I never thought it would be such a pain, the wire takes up the boot space, I never factored this in to my experience.

ICE engine feels lumpy when it’s cold?

So LCI

Exterior is a real hit with me done well and looks great

Interior on the whole is good and the new screens look good, but there’s definitely cost cutting here, materials around dash feel less expensive. Unsure on the tacky lights on passenger side.

I have got Sensafin seats, and I do like them, given preference I would now have to think over the leather option, but I am waiting to see what the summer brings, leather should be (in this car) as standard .

idrive 8.5, well without the whole debate on this, I feel the idrive 7 is still more intuitive and easier to use, but 8.5 looks great. I regularly used my wife’s 30d no LCI Oct 22 so has all the mild hydrid etc and is a joy to drive!

The software is so full of glitches, and will need many more updates.

App doesn’t connect to car and is so unpredictable

Preconditioning just does its own thing

Status on app always wrong, saying doors open when they aren’t

The favourite buttons that you swipe down to access, again just do their own thing sometimes they work other times not, I think it dependent on the screen menu that your in, distracting to use.

Comfort access on front doors just hit and miss! And frustrating. Approach car from the front appears better?

Door mirrors some time fold in after locking and other time they don’t, again just frustrating and not acceptable for the cost.

I don’t like instrument cluster view in 50e, too confusing and without an option to simplify.

Touch screen to access apps can be distracting, but at least they work when you touch them.

The KEY feels cheap and buttons on the side do not work as easily as previous key.

Summary

The 50e is good for the owner that doesn’t do high daily mileage. It shines if used regularly to access city driving, for this it’s brilliant, for my 100mile daily commute it’s good, but the performance and weight severely effects efficiency, plugging it in all weathers is a pain and storing wet charging cable also a consideration .

Once these software glitches are sorted I think it will be good,and I can start enjoying it, until then the jury is out!

At least I have not experienced the battery drive train issues thats got to be a night mare and really reduce owner confidence.

Enjoy your 50e ‘s I hope too soon
Appreciate 2
eelnoraa2032.50
Cityman181.00
      01-20-2024, 11:51 AM   #2
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Thanks very much for your observations, interesting indeed. I’m only about 3K in now and I came from a 40i but a lot you say resonates.

Have you got the Comfort Plus pack? If so have you noticed that ambient air doesn’t work?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 12:39 PM   #3
DJDJR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: g05 45e on order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Thanks very much for your observations, interesting indeed. I’m only about 3K in now and I came from a 40i but a lot you say resonates.

Have you got the Comfort Plus pack? If so have you noticed that ambient air doesn’t work?
Ambient air is due to be activated in a future software update scheduled for April.

So much so they have taken it off any new orders until sorted. it was taken off my order with comfort plus and mine isn’t due into production until March
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 01:54 PM   #4
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

Hi Six
No I not got that, just comfort pack seats heat pack etc
Thanks for reply
Appreciate 0