09-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #23
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
The only "person" I'm impressing is my bum and it was extremely impressed, coddled and massaged on the 800+ miles drive home from PCD, LOL. 🍑
You’re probably in the minority because many people just add options to tell everybody they know and don’t know they added the option. So much so the guy writing the article made that his first point in the paragraph about Merino.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4364.50
      09-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #24
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
... how little coating was on [merino]. So at least to this one company there is a difference between Merino vs Vernasca.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
I'm honestly not sure where this idea comes from that Merino is somehow less durable than Vernasca.
That idea comes directly from BMW - MystroX5 already posted the BMW Blog link and I've talked to BMWNA extensively about it a few times several years apart in relation to Individual Manufaktur - it's absolutely true that Merino is more delicate as it has an extremely light surface coating (not no coating as some have read into the blog post - just a very light coating for UV protection, etc).

With that, the differences will show up in extreme events like:

* Constant daily abrasion like kids, dogs, etc
* Acute events like spilled paint, markers, etc
* Sudden events like punctures or tears

The benefit is that softer luxe feel & look versus a more plasticy feel that heavier-coated leathers have ... although how much is that worth?

Personally I'd prefer a nice hound's tooth like Benz's & Porsche's had in the 70s & 80s

Porsche is starting to bring them back

Appreciate 2
Auricom4364.50
FCX52400.00
      09-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #25
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
... how little coating was on [merino]. So at least to this one company there is a difference between Merino vs Vernasca.
Quote:
I'm honestly not sure where this idea comes from that Merino is somehow less durable than Vernasca.
That idea comes directly from BMW - MystroX5 already posted the BMW Blog link and I've talked to BMWNA extensively about it a few times several years apart in relation to Individual Manufaktur - it's absolutely true that Merino is more delicate as it has an extremely light surface coating (not no coating as some have read into the blog post - just a very light coating for UV protection, etc).

The benefit is that softer luxe feel & look versus a more plasticy feel that heavier-coated leathers have ... although how much is that worth?

Personally I'd prefer a nice hound's tooth like Benz's & Porsche's had in the 70s & 80s

Merino as a $1K upgrade over Vernasca is a very good value to go from the bottom quality leather to the top quality. It also means the actual cost difference to BMW is pretty small so it's logical that there are pros and cons between each type - durability vs softness/luxury. I have sat in both types of seats and comfort wise they seem the same to me. I have Merino on mine, but the loaners I got were Vernasca. Also, our MY has Sensatec type leather and the seats are very comfortable for long drives. So any of the seating materials can be comfortable, but the premium BMW is charging is so small, that anyone buying an X5 should pick Merino by default. My 2 cents worth…

Horses for courses….
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 07:06 PM   #26
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Totally off topic…but MAN-OH-MAN did the hounds tooth pics bring back a forgotten memory. My first car (a 1972 Plymouth Valient “SCAMP”) had hounds tooth seats similar to those pictured above. It was a split bench/front seat with a fold down armrest…and better yet…that little cousin of the Dodge Dart (which had an inline 6 cyl engine)…had a 318 V8 engine under the hood…and that thing could “boogey oogey oogey” down the highway like hell on wheels. (Hopefully some of you old heads got the 1970s Disco reference).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-18-2021 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 07:21 PM   #27
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Merino as a $1K upgrade over Vernasca is a very good value to go from the bottom quality leather to the top quality.
BMWNA told me about a few tricks that have to do with how the leather is processed ...

Vernasca essentially has a fake, embossed grain on the surface which means the leather hides can be less quality since any blemishes are embossed & coated over. Overall, if I had a vehicle with a lot of traffic, especially kids, I'd go with Vernasca.

Merino has to have higher quality hides because the surface is natural and blemishes will show through ... ESPECIALLY on light leather colors and DEFINITELY on white leathers. BMWNA said the best deal in auto-leather was a Merino white leather because the hides were hand-selected - this is also why Merino occasionally has production delays!

But, while Merino is "only $1k upgrade" you're also losing practicality, and maybe that lost utility has a price for some too?

I'd say, if leather geekery is yo thang then a light-colored Merino; if practicality is your thing then vernasca.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #28
Vadersithlord
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 57 Vet 19 Audi etron 21 X5 45e

My decision was easier, just my wife and I, plus I wanted a light color and really liked tartufo, I am sure White would not hold up…I am a know spiller.

Last edited by Vadersithlord; 09-18-2021 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 07:37 PM   #29
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMWNA told me about a few tricks that have to do with how the leather is processed ...

Vernasca essentially has a fake, embossed grain on the surface which means the leather hides can be less quality since any blemishes are embossed & coated over. Overall, if I had a vehicle with a lot of traffic, especially kids, I'd go with Vernasca.

Merino has to have higher quality hides because the surface is natural and blemishes will show through ... ESPECIALLY on light leather colors and DEFINITELY on white leathers. BMWNA said the best deal in auto-leather was a Merino white leather because the hides were hand-selected - this is also why Merino occasionally has production delays!

But, while Merino is "only $1k upgrade" you're also losing practicality, and maybe that lost utility has a price for some too?

I'd say, if leather geekery is yo thang then a light-colored Merino; if practicality is your thing then vernasca.
Well the most important thing is your passengers know you have the upgraded leather and you’re not a peasant with some man made “bottom quality” leather. They should really add a dash plaque with the package that states how many real cows were slaughtered so your passengers can have a soft surface to blow their farts into.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18193.50
91Eunos105.00
      09-18-2021, 07:41 PM   #30
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Well the most important thing is your passengers know you have the upgraded leather and you’re not a peasant with some man made “bottom quality” leather. They should really add a dash plaque with the package that states how many real cows were slaughtered so your passengers can have a soft surface to blow their farts into.
i'm more of a visual/audio guy so i'd appreciate if when you opened the door the car made the # of moos for the cows sacrificed - then, on startup, the display could show their faces.
Appreciate 2
BMWBear863.00
91Eunos105.00
      09-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #31
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Merino as a $1K upgrade over Vernasca is a very good value to go from the bottom quality leather to the top quality. It also means the actual cost difference to BMW is pretty small so it's logical that there are pros and cons between each type - durability vs softness/luxury. I have sat in both types of seats and comfort wise they seem the same to me. I have Merino on mine, but the loaners I got were Vernasca. Also, our MY has Sensatec type leather and the seats are very comfortable for long drives. So any of the seating materials can be comfortable, but the premium BMW is charging is so small, that anyone buying an X5 should pick Merino by default. My 2 cents worth…

Horses for courses….
I keep hearing people throw out this $1k figure and it's really misleading. It's $1k for merino but requires either Multi-Contour seating on its own ($750) or the Luxury Seating Package ($1600). So the true cost of merino is minimum $1750 or $2600.

And it has the potential to slow down your build as merino is considered Individual. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from getting merino, just trying to convey the true cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 07:44 PM   #32
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i'm more of a visual/audio guy so i'd appreciate if when you opened the door the car made the # of moos for the cows sacrificed - then, on startup, the display could show their faces.
Amazing ..sold. I’d pay extra for that.
My passengers will be Uber impressed.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #33
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Here’s more info/descriptions of the various leathers BMW uses. As mentioned already…the embossed grain leathers (Dakota/Nevada/Vernasca) are more durable partly due to their synthetic polymer paint & embossed grain. They only require a damp cloth to remove light dust/dirt…and a lighter overall maintenance. The synthetic polymer paint prevents leather conditioners from “soaking” into the leather’s pores…so save your money on those penetrating leather cleaners…just a general topical cleaner is needed.

If you have Nappa or Merino…then invest in some deeper leather cleaners to maintain the “skins”.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 08:47 PM   #34
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
I like my extended Merino and leather dash. I remember many F15's dakota leather had leather cracking issues (sides of the seat cushions). On G05 BMW now add matching cloth strips where the seat cushion meet plastic seat trim. Embossed harder leather surface might cause the following issue down the road:
Attached Images

09-18-2021, 09:16 PM   #35
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Not sure why some members are so defensive about having Vernasca leather in their cars. Vernasca is nice, I would say it's a step above the Dakota I had in my F10. When I ordered my G05, Merino was a no brainer since I was also choosing luxury seating package. If you want softest highest end leather, go with Merino. It is plenty durable, we have two small dogs, 6 year old, car seat, etc and merino does just fine. If you don't care about the leather, and you don't feel like spending the extra 1k, then take the standard Vernasca as it's also a nice choice, either way you can't make a mistake, just personal preference.
Auricom4364.50
      09-18-2021, 10:03 PM   #36
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Hearing the feedback that the actual cost of Merino is higher - which it is, I've isolated the actual upgrade costs for novice G05 forum lurkers and members:

Actual cost of Merino leather option for MY22 sDrive/xDrive40i/45e models is: $3200 exclusive of all other packages or options

Here's the math:
Vernasca $1450 + (Merino $1000 + 456
Multi-contour seating $750) = $3200

For xLine models = $3200 exclusive of all other packages or options

For M Sport package, it's still $3200 but you'll need to include the entire package pricing:

ZMP (includes Vernasca) + (Merino + 456 Multi-contour seating)

sDrive/xDrive40i M Sport
ZMP = $4750 ($3300 + Vernasca $1450) + (Merino $1000 + 456 $750) = $6500 total package with Merino

45e M Sport
ZMP = $4400 ($2950 + Vernasca $1450) + (Merino $1000 + 456 $750) = $6150 total package with Merino

If you're considering the M50i where the base price of the vehicle includes Vernasca as standard, upgrading to Merino is exactly $1000.

Appreciate 1
      09-19-2021, 06:57 AM   #37
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Not sure why some members are so defensive about having Vernasca leather in their cars. Vernasca is nice, I would say it's a step above the Dakota I had in my F10. When I ordered my G05, Merino was a no brainer since I was also choosing luxury seating package. If you want softest highest end leather, go with Merino. It is plenty durable, we have two small dogs, 6 year old, car seat, etc and merino does just fine. If you don't care about the leather, and you don't feel like spending the extra 1k, then take the standard Vernasca as it's also a nice choice, either way you can't make a mistake, just personal preference.
Because forum discussions tend to devolve into "x is better than y" when both are good and it depends on individual owners' needs/uses.
Appreciate 1
BMWBear863.00
      09-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #38
Trappistmonk
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Yea, not trying to declare a winner for everyone with my question. I was simply looking for pictures. So, the more pictures with info like miles and driving habits, the better. We do a lot is short distances, I do not allow eating or drinking in the car and I don’t mind maintaining the leather every 2-3 months. But the X5 is not the easiest vehicle to exit due to the wide distance between seat and foot on the ground. That is my only concern.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #39
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Horses for courses….
I keep hearing people throw out this $1k figure and it's really misleading. It's $1k for merino but requires either Multi-Contour seating on its own ($750) or the Luxury Seating Package ($1600). So the true cost of merino is minimum $1750 or $2600.

And it has the potential to slow down your build as merino is considered Individual. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from getting merino, just trying to convey the true cost.
If you go to the BMW Configurator. Pick Merino for the M50i and it increases by $1000. All else equal. That is the only real comparison of like for like with the difference being the leather.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #40
Trappistmonk
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

It’s not a cost question for me. Just trying to see pictures of how it wears.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:32 AM   #41
ENCT
Rep
Drives: Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I have taken the family on two 2200 mile road trips to Disney and my ivory Merino looked perfect when I traded it in. Merino is a very high end leather and certainly worth the upcharge. At this level I wouldn’t consider any option but Merino.

I notice on your picture the headrest leather looks a bit bunched up on the bottom. I just got my 50i last night with the Merino leather and mine looks the same, is this normal I suppose? Also a small area on the inside driver side is a bit sloppy as well. Might be normal just thought I would ask.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:29 AM   #42
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappistmonk View Post
It’s not a cost question for me. Just trying to see pictures of how it wears.
If cost is not a factor and you like the quilted look then I wouldn’t hesitate getting. But let me ask you - are you particularly rough on your interiors or is there anything else about how you’ll use the car that has you worried?

This was our ‘19 X5 with 35,000 just before we turned it in. Only wearing is a little marking on outside bolster of driver seat and slight burnishing (shine) on seat bottoms from where we sat. As if often the

Our car is used for going upstate, it sits outside half the week, we do a lot of hiking so there’s plenty of dirt and mud (and once my dog turned over a Chipotle burrito bowl with guac on the passenger seat perf leather - that was an experience cleaning…), and only once did I use leather cleaner on the seats (well twice if you count the guac cleanup on the passenger seat), other than that I vacuumed the seats when cleaning and wiped down with a dry and then damp cloth. I keep our cars clean (less so in winter), but I don’t fuss over the interior so this is what they look like with next to no care. (Oh I also think weight and girth of owners probably also plays a role - we’re both 150 lbs)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #43
mgiannetto
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappistmonk View Post
On the fence to change my Vernasca leather to Merino leather. Can you post some pictures of your driver’s seat and include mileage and use (lots of in and outs or long drives)?

Thanks for helping me decide which leather is best for me!
3 years and 25,000 miles later and not a single sign of wear on our 2019 X5 with Coffee Merino leather.

We ordered Merino on our 2022 build as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:27 AM   #44
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have the Nappa, not the Merino, on my 2018 530e that is now approaching four years of life with about 35K miles on it. I can't take pictures because it is in the shop having its hybrid batteries replaced.

What I can tell you is that after almost four years, there is no discernable wear and tear on the leather.

I had Dakota (similar to Vernasca) on my previous 3 series and I really disliked it. I would definitely go for the upgrade and if you can't/won't do so, I personally would prefer the Sensatec to the Dakota/Vernasca.
Appreciate 0