BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
TOMMYX12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 / 2022 BMW X7

21 x5 g05 coding for kidney grille shutter delete

So I'm trying to figure this out and I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that might be simple. I have removed the front kidney grille shutters, motor is still present and cycling as if the shutters were still there opening and closing.
Received engine light for the error code on the AKKS for the upper and lower stop limits not recognized which was expected without coding it off.

Fast forward, coded off with Esys as there are two variations to the coding depending on the build date, either way both variations of the coding were checked to make sure it was coded off in the DME.

Now the upper stop limit reset itself after errors were cleared out and upon next startup engine light popped a error code again, still have a code showing for the lower stop not recognized. I understand these work hand and hand for the air-cooling flap controls and only had to do with upper flaps but still getting the lower code even with everything coded off. The one recommendation was to completely disconnect the power connecters to the motors on the upper and lower flaps so there won’t be any chance of signal back to the ECU.

Thinking something might be missing from the second variation due to the build date on mine being after 7/20. Currently the AKKS is reading 00 and the LKS_OBEN and LKS_UNTEN is reading 00 as well. Any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance. Below is what was followed:

For disabling shutters:

Code AKKS in DME. The item is coded as Wert_02 [02] for all X3 and X4 models except the X3M and the X4M. For the true M versions, which don't have active grilles, the value of AKKS is Wert_00 [00]. The E-Sys comment for AKKS reads "Kommentar=CP283394 automatische Kuehlluftklappensteuerung - (AKKS) bzw. Luftklappensteuerung - (LKS) 0x00 - Nicht verbaut - KOM-Diagnose nicht aktiv 0x01 - Verbaut oben - KOM-Diagnose aktiv 0x02 - Verbaut oben+unten - KOM-Diagnose aktiv 0x03 - Default, Initwert, Nicht codiert (KOM-Diagnose trotzdem aktiv) Label: CodVar_stAKKS" which translates to "Comment = CP283394 automatic cooling air flap control - (AKKS) or air flap control - (LKS)
0x00 - not installed - COM diagnosis not active
0x01 - installed above - COM diagnosis active
0x02 - installed above + below - COM diagnosis active
0x03 - default, Init value, not coded (COM diagnosis still active)
Label: CodVar_stAKKS."

-Up until build date 07/20 it will stay in S15A: Change param "AKKS" (AktiveKühlKlappenSteuerung - ActiveCoolingFlapControl) to 0x01 which means shutters only on top (0x00 is for no flaps, 0x02 is for top & bottom and 0x03 is not used)

-Beginning with build date 07/20 it will move to S18A: Parameters will be divided and there will be one for:
--"LKS_OBEN" which means LüftungsKlappenSteuerung_Oben or AirFlapControl_Top
--"LKS_UNTEN" which means LüftungsKlappenSteuerung_Unten or AirFlapControl_Bottom
Both can only be enabled or disabled (0x01 or 0x00)

Last edited by TOMMYX12; 08-13-2021 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Wasn’t a simpler and better solution to have the kidney grills fixed with warranty service?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
TOMMYX12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00lb0y11 View Post
Wasn’t a simpler and better solution to have the kidney grills fixed with warranty service?
No because there was nothing wrong with the grille itself I deleted the flaps, two separate things here and no that would not be covered under warranty work
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #4
TOMMYX12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So yesterday I removed the cable connections to the upper shutter motor and the lower shutter motor. The previous errors cleared out when clearing the DTC. Now getting two other errors, CD9203-LIN, communication radiator shutter missing and CD9204-LIN, communication lower radiator shutter missing causing the warning indicator on the dash again.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 04:40 PM   #5
Romulus7788
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMYX12 View Post
So I'm trying to figure this out and I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that might be simple. I have removed the front kidney grille shutters, motor is still present and cycling as if the shutters were still there opening and closing.
Received engine light for the error code on the AKKS for the upper and lower stop limits not recognized which was expected without coding it off.

Fast forward, coded off with Esys as there are two variations to the coding depending on the build date, either way both variations of the coding were checked to make sure it was coded off in the DME.

Now the upper stop limit reset itself after errors were cleared out and upon next startup engine light popped a error code again, still have a code showing for the lower stop not recognized. I understand these work hand and hand for the air-cooling flap controls and only had to do with upper flaps but still getting the lower code even with everything coded off. The one recommendation was to completely disconnect the power connecters to the motors on the upper and lower flaps so there won’t be any chance of signal back to the ECU.

Thinking something might be missing from the second variation due to the build date on mine being after 7/20. Currently the AKKS is reading 00 and the LKS_OBEN and LKS_UNTEN is reading 00 as well. Any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance. Below is what was followed:

For disabling shutters:

Code AKKS in DME. The item is coded as Wert_02 [02] for all X3 and X4 models except the X3M and the X4M. For the true M versions, which don't have active grilles, the value of AKKS is Wert_00 [00]. The E-Sys comment for AKKS reads "Kommentar=CP283394 automatische Kuehlluftklappensteuerung - (AKKS) bzw. Luftklappensteuerung - (LKS) 0x00 - Nicht verbaut - KOM-Diagnose nicht aktiv 0x01 - Verbaut oben - KOM-Diagnose aktiv 0x02 - Verbaut oben+unten - KOM-Diagnose aktiv 0x03 - Default, Initwert, Nicht codiert (KOM-Diagnose trotzdem aktiv) Label: CodVar_stAKKS" which translates to "Comment = CP283394 automatic cooling air flap control - (AKKS) or air flap control - (LKS)
0x00 - not installed - COM diagnosis not active
0x01 - installed above - COM diagnosis active
0x02 - installed above + below - COM diagnosis active
0x03 - default, Init value, not coded (COM diagnosis still active)
Label: CodVar_stAKKS."

-Up until build date 07/20 it will stay in S15A: Change param "AKKS" (AktiveKühlKlappenSteuerung - ActiveCoolingFlapControl) to 0x01 which means shutters only on top (0x00 is for no flaps, 0x02 is for top & bottom and 0x03 is not used)

-Beginning with build date 07/20 it will move to S18A: Parameters will be divided and there will be one for:
--"LKS_OBEN" which means LüftungsKlappenSteuerung_Oben or AirFlapControl_Top
--"LKS_UNTEN" which means LüftungsKlappenSteuerung_Unten or AirFlapControl_Bottom
Both can only be enabled or disabled (0x01 or 0x00)
Did you every figure this out? I removed my active shutter the other day and now I'm getting this error. I have a 2021 x5 drive 40i with m sport package, if that matters.it was built in nov/2020.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 12:35 AM   #6
bmrgsxr
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5m

sorry for thread revival but did you solve the problem ? TOMMYX12
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 07:45 AM   #7
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrgsxr View Post
sorry for thread revival but did you solve the problem ? TOMMYX12
I'm kinda new here to the G05. Why would anyone want to remove the shutters?
Appreciate 3
Chk_ris31.50
1Boxer34.50
      06-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #8
bmrgsxr
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I'm kinda new here to the G05. Why would anyone want to remove the shutters?

i want to convert my front end with m ones. Some m cars do not have active kidney so i want to remove them
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #9
bmrgsxr
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMYX12 View Post
So yesterday I removed the cable connections to the upper shutter motor and the lower shutter motor. The previous errors cleared out when clearing the DTC. Now getting two other errors, CD9203-LIN, communication radiator shutter missing and CD9204-LIN, communication lower radiator shutter missing causing the warning indicator on the dash again.
sorry for update

did you solve this problem ?

TOMMYX12

Last edited by bmrgsxr; 07-04-2022 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 09:08 PM   #10
Romulus7788
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I got around the error code by tricking the system into thinking the shuters are still there. I tied a couple zip ties to the flap mechanism to emulate a feedback force to the system (as if the shuters "opened or closed"). Works flawlessly and the zip ties are not visible once you put the grille back on
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-23-2022, 05:37 PM   #11
Blueboxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Nice, simple solution. I look forward to duplicating it, I just installed my gloss black grill a couple days ago. Looks like I will be redoing it soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 10:29 PM   #12
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus7788 View Post
I got around the error code by trucking the system into thinking the shuters are still there. I tied a couple zip ties to the flap mechanism to emulate a feedback force to the system (as if the shuters "opened or closed"). Works flawlessly and the zip ties are not visible once you put the grille back on
So the zip tie is connected to the drive arm and then to what else?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 11:47 PM   #13
Romulus7788
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking60 View Post
Quote:
I got around the error code by trucking the system into thinking the shuters are still there. I tied a couple zip ties to the flap mechanism to emulate a feedback force to the system (as if the shuters "opened or closed"). Works flawlessly and the zip ties are not visible once you put the grille back on
Quote:
Quote:
This aluminum bar
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-09-2022, 12:32 AM   #14
brian12
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

How many zip ties you put? And both sides? Also should I pull the zip tie tight? Or let there be some slack? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 01:09 PM   #15
jpichardo91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx / 2020 BMW x5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This aluminum bar
Looks like a good solution , Im going to have to try this as well. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 01:14 PM   #16
Romulus7788
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12 View Post
How many zip ties you put? And both sides? Also should I pull the zip tie tight? Or let there be some slack? Thanks
Quote:
You have to do it on both sides. So you have to observe the behavior (position) of it when the car is ON and the grilles are in the "open" position. When you get it to that stage then connect the zip ties. They should be tight. Not hard but just enough to simulate a close position of the grille shutters.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #17
brian12
Rep

Ok thanks!! So I did what you explained but some reason I’m still getting a check engine light…..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 05:50 PM   #18
jpichardo91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx / 2020 BMW x5 M50i

Quote:
Ok thanks!! So I did what you explained but some reason I'm still getting a check engine light…..
Correct me if Im wrong but you might have to clear the check engine light first thru the OBD.

When you clear it , it only comes back on when you shut off the engine and start the car again.

So, might have to clear the CEL, attach the zip ties and then it shouldn't come back on the next time you shut off and turn the car back on.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #19
brian12
Rep

Ok thanks!! Appreciate that!! I’m gonna try it 🤞
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 10:51 AM   #20
brian12
Rep

I guess I don’t have luck I tried both ways but I’m still getting a check engine light after then next start up….. anyway to maybe code it off permanently?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 04:15 PM   #21
Fifthtoe
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

I tried the zip tie method and it worked, I did not get the cel. I actuated the motor by turning the ac on and off. I also shut off and restarted the vehicle numerous times. No check engine light. I haven't driven it around yet, but to those that are getting a cel, are you experiencing it right away? Just curious if I should be expecting one eventually.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #22
brian12
Rep

@fifthtoe can you post a picture of where you put both the zip ties? Idk why I keep getting this CEL on the next start up not sure if I’m putting the zip ties on wrong or what…. Thanks!
Appreciate 0