BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #1
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Factory wiper fluid - freezing point?

I did a search and couldn’t find any info on the factory wiper fluid.

I took delivery of my m50i in December in Cali and am spending the winter on a road trip across a bunch of cities. Currently in Utah spending a few months.

My question: I have OEM wiper fluid in my car. Should I add something to it to lower the freezing point? A bit concerned that it’ll freeze up when i need it here. I can’t find any specs on the factory fluid and search was not helpful.

(And yes, I optioned the 20” all seasons. They aren’t my old Blizzaks so I won’t take it out in the rough stuff!)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 01:35 PM   #2
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Good question, but you are probably safe. Washer fluid is commonly rated (the blue stuff) to at least -20 degrees even if you bought your car in a warm weather state. Too much liability for manufacturer/dealer to cheap out on crappy stuffy and freeze your tank/line and have to replace them. Washer fluid freezes when you spray it or on your windshield because of the thin film/spray, rapid cooling/heat loss, evaporation of the alcohol content and wind-chill dropping the fluid temp but its safe inside the tank.
If you're going to encounter colder temps, just spray out the tank and replace it with a colder weather washer fluid; the purple stuff typically goes to around -25/-30. Sometimes the additives can be more expensive than a new gallon of fluid, but they do have some cheap additives you can that drop the temp to -50. Never use the ones with bug remover in the winter.
      01-19-2022, 02:49 PM   #3
Moebus
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

The fluid my BMW dealer uses, freezes on the windshield at about 0 F with wind wipe. It survives colder temp. in the reservoir.
At times I drive in temperatures as low as -40 F so I use a purple fluid which is available locally and is good to -67 F (-55 C).��
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

This doesn't answer your question because I don't know the factory dilution, but this concentrate I picked up from the parts counter shows a wide range of possible freezing points.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #5
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

My X6 still had factory fluid and it froze at 10°F. I drained and filled with -35
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0