BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
Joe Gro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

X5M build slots

I placed an order for an X5M last week. After a certain amount of confusing discussion, I'm told that as of now I'm the first inline at this dealership for the next build slot. They dont have one at the moment and according to the salesman, it is not known when they will get the next one.
He insists that he will get one soon and be able to deliver the new one in March, which is fine.
On the plus side he's guaranteeing a price for my trade which is reasonable, and there isnt any price increase on the new one.

On the minus side, how do I know when the next one's coming? Does anyone know roughly how often dealers get slots for the X5M? Am I an idiot for trusting this guy, or should I keep shopping around hoping to find someone with a definite slot?

Driving myself a little crazy here......
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 12:26 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Continue to shop around, perhaps someone with an allocation will be able to match your current deal. Then again, if you don't need it and don't care when you get it just sit back and think about other things. Nothing to stress over just realize you may not get it for a few months or more.
      01-15-2022, 08:35 AM   #3
Joe Gro
Private First Class
Rep

X5M build slots

Thanks. I dont mind waiting until March, but waiting a few more months would be tough. I'll probably give it a couple more weeks and see where things are at.

Does anyone know when BMW makes allocations available? Are they at the same time every month, or are they just random?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
soldes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 X40I Flamenco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gro View Post
Thanks. I dont mind waiting until March, but waiting a few more months would be tough. I'll probably give it a couple more weeks and see where things are at.

Does anyone know when BMW makes allocations available? Are they at the same time every month, or are they just random?
Allocations are scarce, even for the high volume AD's. I Know for a fact, that there are dealers buying allocations from other dealers, in order to keep some inventory in their grasp.
If I were you, I would expand my dealership radius until I find one with a secure allocation (not a promise of one), and drive there to make a deal. As for your trade in, most places will match that $ number, in order to get your business.
This car crisis has shown us the consumer, that loyalty means nothing when it comes to the AD's lining their pockets and selling cars above MSRP, regardless of your previous history with them. To me, it seems fair to return the favor, by going somewhere else that can suit your needs.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:41 PM   #5
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

keep in mind if you applied for credit with your dealer, and then choose to use a different dealer, you'll have to do a new credit app
      01-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #6
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
I placed an order for an X5M last week. After a certain amount of confusing discussion, I'm told that as of now I'm the first inline at this dealership for the next build slot. They dont have one at the moment and according to the salesman, it is not known when they will get the next one.
He insists that he will get one soon
Start emailing dealers and asking specifically if the they have an allocation for an X5M, then negotiate price from there. I did this in september, did it nationwide since I was wiling to do a Spartanburg trip for the right price, and got a lot interesting offers back!

Some dealers claimed X5M allocations were in very low supply, others seemed to have plenty. And there was no commonality as to who did or didn't have allocations ...

Pricewise, the larger dealers all had ADMs, the mid-size ran the whole range from ADM to nice discount, and the smalls all seemed to be willing to deal. With that I'll say the % of dealers offering to discount was pretty low. Ultimately I found a local dealer who was great to work with, though I traded a 1ish% off MSRP for it, but it was way worth that.

Ultimately I'd find a few with allocations & prices you like and then have them price your trade-in and see which deal works best.

Your existing dealer sounds a bit sketchy or clueless and I'd avoid.
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1696.00
      01-19-2022, 12:48 PM   #7
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
He insists that he will get one soon and be able to deliver the new one in March, which is fine.
On the plus side he's guaranteeing a price for my trade which is reasonable, and there isnt any price increase on the new one.

On the minus side, how do I know when the next one's coming? Does anyone know roughly how often dealers get slots for the X5M? Am I an idiot for trusting this guy, or should I keep shopping around hoping to find someone with a definite slot?

Driving myself a little crazy here......
Allocations for March production should be released next week. Which means you aren't taking delivery in March
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 08:13 AM   #8
Joe Gro
Private First Class
Rep

X5M build slots

ok so here is an update

the salesman in question had promised me he would have an allocation within "a week or two"
shockingly that didnt happen, so I took the advice above and shopped around

I walked into my regular dealer again (I'd been told a couple of weeks ago there that it would take 6 months), and it turned out they had an open allocation. Made a decent deal, and hopefully I'm all set

its amazing to hear all the stories about how variable the ordering process has become
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
      01-22-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Make sure you get the build sheet with the production number.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #10
Joe Gro
Private First Class
Rep

X5M build slots

I did get the production number, thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 01:22 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Congratulations. Glad to hear everything worked out for you and hopefully the wait won't be too long. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
      01-23-2022, 09:00 AM   #12
BMWoody
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Start emailing dealers and asking specifically if the they have an allocation for an X5M, then negotiate price from there. I did this in september, did it nationwide since I was wiling to do a Spartanburg trip for the right price, and got a lot interesting offers back!

Some dealers claimed X5M allocations were in very low supply, others seemed to have plenty. And there was no commonality as to who did or didn't have allocations ...

Pricewise, the larger dealers all had ADMs, the mid-size ran the whole range from ADM to nice discount, and the smalls all seemed to be willing to deal. With that I'll say the % of dealers offering to discount was pretty low. Ultimately I found a local dealer who was great to work with, though I traded a 1ish% off MSRP for it, but it was way worth that.

Ultimately I'd find a few with allocations & prices you like and then have them price your trade-in and see which deal works best.

Your existing dealer sounds a bit sketchy or clueless and I'd avoid.
What was the best % off you saw?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #13
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWoody View Post
What was the best % off you saw?
6% off MSRP and then add in any rebates you were eligible for, for example, PenFed which is different now but still some dealers won't mess with it.

As it was I got 4% off - Penfed (-$3250 for non-comp model, comp didn't allow it) and that was somewhat higher, but pretty common **of those willing to discount**

Of those wililng to discount, they'll say "the dealer profit is 6.5% so why don't I split that with you" thus putting you at ~3.25% which means roughly 2%-4% should be doable for anyone wiling to email around and certainly for someone willing to do PCD in Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 09:49 PM   #14
VK335M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
6% off MSRP and then add in any rebates you were eligible for, for example, PenFed which is different now but still some dealers won't mess with it.

As it was I got 4% off - Penfed (-$3250 for non-comp model, comp didn't allow it) and that was somewhat higher, but pretty common **of those willing to discount**

Of those wililng to discount, they'll say "the dealer profit is 6.5% so why don't I split that with you" thus putting you at ~3.25% which means roughly 2%-4% should be doable for anyone wiling to email around and certainly for someone willing to do PCD in Spartanburg.
Any chance you can dm the dealer that gave you off msrp?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:05 PM   #15
BMWoody
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK335M View Post
would be interested as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #16
VK335M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335 M Sport

None of the dealers around me want to discount off msrp. Best I got was $500 off. If anyone want to share the dealer that discounted please dm.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:50 PM   #17
rpm50i
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 m50i (in build)

Quote:
None of the dealers around me want to discount off msrp. Best I got was $500 off. If anyone want to share the dealer that discounted please dm.
will DM you
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:49 PM   #18
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWoody View Post
would be interested as well.
Quote:
PeterPan though it may not / won't help, at least immediately as dealerships & sales staff weave in & out of discounting as their weekly & monthly numbers shift. Further, the corporate owners of larger dealerships are also shifting their policy. For example, Reading was discounting just before I got to them and then nope.

Wish I could give you a sure thing, but it seems like it just a lot of leg work & flexibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:17 PM   #19
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I doubt folks are going to have much luck getting discounts when some dealers are months behind in allocations as is, so no reason for them to discount when folks are already going beyond their region just to secure an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 10:04 PM   #20
Unkster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C & 2022 X5MC

My dealer here in Portland OR had one allocation and I grabbed it a few weeks ago. My X5MC should be here sometime in May... if no delays. Can't wait!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 03:57 PM   #21
CiprianS
M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkster View Post
My dealer here in Portland OR had one allocation and I grabbed it a few weeks ago. My X5MC should be here sometime in May... if no delays. Can't wait!!
I don't get it. I thought that it was taking about two months maximum to get the car if the dealer had an allocation to build. Why would you get the car in May if you got the allocation a few weeks ago? Am I missing something? When I ordered my car it took I think less than 2 months and that was with the Christmas time when the factory was shut down.
Appreciate 0