BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2024, 09:28 AM   #1
maurinan
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 E40

Air recirculation mode auto-disables itself

I have a 2022 X5 hybrid, I have been bothered by this supposed issue of the air recirculation mode disabling itself. Basically, I push the recirculating button, it lights up but then after a minute or two, it turns itself back off.

I took it in to the dealership thinking something was broken, however when I got there they told me that it is not broken, it is a "feature", basically the car decides if it is worth recirculating air based on climate conditions (moisture, temperature, they didn't really have a rational explanation to be honest).

So, my question is two-fold:

1. Is it indeed true that it is normal for the car to switch air recirculation mode off whenever it thinks appropriate. If so, what is the full rationale here?

2. Is there any code we can change with bimmercode to disable this?

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:33 AM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

As outlined in your owners manual, the climate control system determines if fresh air should be used or not and it can not be coded off.
Attached Images

01-16-2024, 09:48 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
as mentioned, already addressed in the manual. I have the 45e. (interesting how the wording varies between variants)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 10:21 AM   #4
maurinan
Rep

Ok thanks guys, I missed that from the manual. Still a bummer though, usually the condensation is taken care of if AC is running. Also, the dealership mentioned it might also be related to EPA emissions.
I am not a fan of being forced smelling exhaust while stuck in traffic, I would rather deal with condensation
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 10:53 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurinan View Post
Ok thanks guys, I missed that from the manual. Still a bummer though, usually the condensation is taken care of if AC is running. Also, the dealership mentioned it might also be related to EPA emissions.
I am not a fan of being forced smelling exhaust while stuck in traffic, I would rather deal with condensation
the flip side of the vehicle deactivating air recirculation automatically after some time is the entrance of outside fumes which should be sensed by the vehicle, thus re-activate air recirculation. i also find the X5 doesn’t do a good job with this. my three previous Audi Q7 did better in this respect
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 06:20 PM   #6
maurinan
Rep

I have never seen the recirculating mode being automatically re-enabled. For me it does the same thing all the times. I enable it, 1m goes by and it disables itself. Never comes back on.
Appreciate 0