BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2021, 06:25 AM   #67
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Not too sure. Took a look at some of the Esys tutorials over the last day or so. Installing the software seems to be a bit of a chore.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #68
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Any updates or instructions you can share?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #69
Rock2022
Rep
Drives: X5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFreak View Post
Any updates or instructions you can share?

Thanks!
Also waiting for the update here.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #70
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

I'm afraid to do it without instructions. Waiting too!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:14 PM   #71
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

I've got a replacement screen here. Arrived last week. Just haven't had time to install yet. Found Kplatinum on Reddit who seems to have gotten it to work. I have not verified this yet but as a very basic outline:

Tools needed:
Trim tool

OHP ENET OBD Cable for BMW ICOM... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V3C47YD...p_mob_ap_share

Torx screwdriver set

Screen Part# 6550 8798732
I ordered from opusradio (China). $540 delivered

From Kplatinum
A. Remove the end cap from the right side of the dashboard (if LHD) with a trim tool. Then, there are two torx screws beneath it that will allow you to fully remove the divider trim on the dashboard. Once those screws are out, a trim tool gets the divider trim out, since it's just snapped in at that point.

With the divider trim gone, you'll see two screws at the bottom of the display unit. The third screw is sort of behind the instrument cluster. You'll have to remove the trim surrounding the cluster, and unseat the cluster itself to get at that third screw. Before doing so, be sure to move the steering column to its lowest and furthest-out point.

I believe the trim and instrument panel screws are T20, while the three for the display unit are T25.

B. Once screen is installed you'll need to remove the 6UY VO code with BMW ESYS. From what I gather this will re-enable touch capability. It does bring back the back up assistant menu as well but is grayed out and not operational from what I'm gathering.

Again I have not verified this but believe this to be close to the procedure. When I get a chance in the next week or so I'll see if I can't document some of it. If anyone else has ideas or experience with it I'm interested.
Appreciate 5
c12h231.00
zab31.00
GrussGott18180.50
      12-12-2021, 03:34 PM   #72
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckelvie37 View Post
I've got a replacement screen here. Arrived last week. Just haven't had time to install yet. Found Kplatinum on Reddit who seems to have gotten it to work. I have not verified this yet but as a very basic outline:

Tools needed:
Trim tool

OHP ENET OBD Cable for BMW ICOM... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V3C47YD...p_mob_ap_share

Torx screwdriver set

From Kplatinum
A. Remove the end cap from the right side of the dashboard (if LHD) with a trim tool. Then, there are two torx screws beneath it that will allow you to fully remove the divider trim on the dashboard. Once those screws are out, a trim tool gets the divider trim out, since it's just snapped in at that point.

With the divider trim gone, you'll see two screws at the bottom of the display unit. The third screw is sort of behind the instrument cluster. You'll have to remove the trim surrounding the cluster, and unseat the cluster itself to get at that third screw. Before doing so, be sure to move the steering column to its lowest and furthest-out point.

I believe the trim and instrument panel screws are T20, while the three for the display unit are T25.

B. Once screen is installed you'll need to remove the 6UY VO code with BMW ESYS. From what I gather this will re-enable touch capability. It does bring back the back up assistant menu as well but is grayed out and not operational from what I'm gathering.

Again I have not verified this but believe this to be close to the procedure. When I get a chance in the next week or so I'll see if I can't document some of it. If anyone else has ideas or experience with it I'm interested.
I believe you need to remove 6UY VO and then code based on Kplatinum's post:

"I used Esys and removed option code 6UY from my car's VO list, but that doesn't seem to have done anything."

Awesome - thank you for the info above.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 09:40 PM   #73
adscft
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Question to those who bought a touchscreen online: is that a brand new screen or is it taken from another vehicle? Did a search on eBay and looks to me many are used/taken from another vehicle. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #74
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adscft View Post
Question to those who bought a touchscreen online: is that a brand new screen or is it taken from another vehicle? Did a search on eBay and looks to me many are used/taken from another vehicle. Thanks!
The one from opusradio is a new screen. There are several on EBay that appeared to be used. Can't speak to how clean they are but I'd suspect they'd work.

Pretty well packed. Cardboard and bubble wrap around screen. Screen protector on as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
c12h231.00
GrussGott18180.50
      12-13-2021, 10:31 PM   #75
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looking at my order, 6UY is deletion of touchscreen and ZUY is deletion of backup assistant. Maybe removing ZUY would fix the backup assistant?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 01:34 AM   #76
adscft
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks a lot for sharing. This looks great. About the same price as those used ones on eBay too.

Damn why couldn't the BMW factory order some from them

Quote:
The one from opusradio is a new screen. There are several on EBay that appeared to be used. Can't speak to how clean they are but I'd suspect they'd work.

Pretty well packed. Cardboard and bubble wrap around screen. Screen protector on as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 05:02 PM   #77
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:

Tools needed:
Trim tool

Torx screwdriver set

From Kplatinum

Hi, i wonder who is opusradio and where to buy it? Do you have a link? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #78
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I believe this is it:

https://www.opuradio.com/products/65...06-x7-g07-2242
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #79
eveneziano90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M ZCP Toronto Red

I don't believe I've seen it posted yet. But has a step by step install and coding steps been documented and posted yet?

Past: F80 M3 ZCP; G01 X3; F30 M340i; F32 428i GranCoupe; E46 330xi; E36 328is
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 10:01 PM   #80
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm trying to work on one. Have a touchscreen here. I started the ESYS download but have a MacBook Air and found out that ESYS won't install properly while running parallels(windows vm). Have to try again another time when I've got a windows laptop.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:03 PM   #81
Rock2022
Rep
Drives: X5e

Quote:
I'm trying to work on one. Have a touchscreen here. I started the ESYS download but have a MacBook Air and found out that ESYS won't install properly while running parallels(windows vm). Have to try again another time when I've got a windows laptop.
Good luck! Best wishes! I will retrofit mine, still enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #82
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If it's an intel Mac you may be able to install windows with boot camp. What version of esys/launcher are you going to use?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #83
dminko
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplatinum777 View Post
UPDATE: Thanks for your help, everyone. I was able to get the touchscreen to work, essentially by removing 6UY from the VO and then coding the head-unit module. Better, still, this does seem to have made the Backup Assistant re-appear.

I will write up a tutorial in the next day or two.

View post on imgur.com
Hey, this is awesome! I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in the intention to fix that touchscreen deletion, especially when BMWNA didn't give us any other choice!!!

Seriously, I asked my local dealer to estimate their labor for installing a fully functional OEM display which I'd just bought myself. They estimated the labor for $500, and when I asked them to schedule an installation appointment, they said sorry and told me they could not do that for my car because I didn't buy this part from them and I would also lose my car warranty.

Therefore, the only way is to install my new display myself.

I'm still preparing for the installation, I've never done such things before, and my concern is my X7 battery disconnection before I start removing and installing the display.

ISTA documentation says that I must deactivate the 48-volt electrical system before I start doing anything. It looks like it's not just physically unplugging a negative pole from the battery, but I should deactivate the 48 V electrical system first somehow.

Just wondering - did you perform all of this with your electrical system and the battery before removing and installing a new display?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #84
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplatinum777 View Post
UPDATE: Thanks for your help, everyone. I was able to get the touchscreen to work, essentially by removing 6UY from the VO and then coding the head-unit module. Better, still, this does seem to have made the Backup Assistant re-appear.

I will write up a tutorial in the next day or two.

View post on imgur.com
Hey, this is awesome! I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in the intention to fix that touchscreen deletion, especially when BMWNA didn't give us any other choice!!!

Seriously, I asked my local dealer to estimate their labor for installing a fully functional OEM display which I'd just bought myself. They estimated the labor for $500, and when I asked them to schedule an installation appointment, they said sorry and told me they could not do that for my car because I didn't buy this part from them and I would also lose my car warranty.

Therefore, the only way is to install my new display myself.

I'm still preparing for the installation, I've never done such things before, and my concern is my X7 battery disconnection before I start removing and installing the display.

ISTA documentation says that I must deactivate the 48-volt electrical system before I start doing anything. It looks like it's not just physically unplugging a negative pole from the battery, but I should deactivate the 48 V electrical system first somehow.

Just wondering - did you perform all of this with your electrical system and the battery before removing and installing a new display?
Edited my post: definitely disconnect the battery, I broke a clip on the steering wheel column trip when the steering wheel retracted suddenly. So extended the steering wheel and tilt it down, then disconnect the battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 07:22 PM   #85
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've got a replacement screen here.
From Kplatinum
FYI There is actually a 3rd torx screw on the left side of the dash trim that is behind the cluster's trim.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 08:24 PM   #86
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample View Post
Quote:
I've got a replacement screen here.
From Kplatinum
FYI There is actually a 3rd torx screw on the left side of the dash trim that is behind the cluster's trim.
Hoping to tackle the screen replacement tomorrow. Not sure I'll have time for the recode though. Ended up changing out the air filters and a bit of detailing today.

For that third screw I think you have to unseat the instrument cluster to get to it. The other two are at the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 10:30 PM   #87
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hoping to tackle the screen replacement tomorrow. Not sure I'll have time for the recode though. Ended up changing out the air filters and a bit of detailing today.

For that third screw I think you have to unseat the instrument cluster to get to it. The other two are at the bottom.
Good luck! I haven't done the coding either, but I did replace my screen.

My advice is to start with the cluster trim. Make the steering wheel go down and toward you to make space. Remember that steering wheel may go back into it's default position if the car thinks you're gone or it sleeps. Try not to have anything in the way for it to squash. Start from the left, then top, bottom, and then the right side should slide toward the left. After the cluster trim is off, the actual cluster is held by three T20 screws - one on the left side and two on the bottom. Be careful with the screws - I kept dropping them and had to open up more panels to get them.

I've attached some pics of the cluster trim so you have an idea of how they snap into place. I used a regular trim tool for the left/top of the cluster trim. For the bottom of the cluster I also used a trim tool, but for that one on the far right I had to use a small pick tool to get it to unhook.

With the cluster trim/cluster off you will have access to the T20 of the dash trim and the T25 torx bolt that holds the left side of the screen.

On the passenger side remove the side panel to get access to the two T20 screws. The dash trim can now be be popped off with a trim tool. I worked right to left when pulling the dash trim off.

I swapped the screens after waiting for the car to sleep and the displays to shut off. It's probably safer to disconnect battery.

When putting everything back together, take a look at the tab on the bottom right of the cluster trim and where you think it snaps into. It's supposed to go in between the other part, not just on top of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sample; 12-31-2021 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
bastula183.00
      01-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #88
dminko
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample View Post
Good luck! I haven't done the coding either, but I did replace my screen.

My advice is to start with the cluster trim. Make the steering wheel go down and toward you to make space. Remember that steering wheel may go back into it's default position if the car thinks you're gone or it sleeps. Try not to have anything in the way for it to squash. Start from the left, then top, bottom, and then the right side should slide toward the left. After the cluster trim is off, the actual cluster is held by three T20 screws - one on the left side and two on the bottom. Be careful with the screws - I kept dropping them and had to open up more panels to get them.

I've attached some pics of the cluster trim so you have an idea of how they snap into place. I used a regular trim tool for the left/top of the cluster trim. For the bottom of the cluster I also used a trim tool, but for that one on the far right I had to use a small pick tool to get it to unhook.

With the cluster trim/cluster off you will have access to the T20 of the dash trim and the T25 torx bolt that holds the left side of the screen.

On the passenger side remove the side panel to get access to the two T20 screws. The dash trim can now be be popped off with a trim tool. I worked right to left when pulling the dash trim off.

I swapped the screens after waiting for the car to sleep and the displays to shut off. It's probably safer to disconnect battery.

When putting everything back together, take a look at the tab on the bottom right of the cluster trim and where you think it snaps into. It's supposed to go in between the other part, not just on top of it.
Thank you very much for the additional details! I'm also going to do my screen replacement next week
Appreciate 0