01-01-2022, 10:05 AM   #89
Rock2022
Rep
Drives: X5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckelvie37 View Post
Hoping to tackle the screen replacement tomorrow. Not sure I'll have time for the recode though. Ended up changing out the air filters and a bit of detailing today.

For that third screw I think you have to unseat the instrument cluster to get to it. The other two are at the bottom.
Good luck! I haven't done the coding either, but I did replace my screen.

My advice is to start with the cluster trim. Make the steering wheel go down and toward you to make space. Remember that steering wheel may go back into it's default position if the car thinks you're gone or it sleeps. Try not to have anything in the way for it to squash. Start from the left, then top, bottom, and then the right side should slide toward the left. After the cluster trim is off, the actual cluster is held by three T20 screws - one on the left side and two on the bottom. Be careful with the screws - I kept dropping them and had to open up more panels to get them.

I've attached some pics of the cluster trim so you have an idea of how they snap into place. I used a regular trim tool for the left/top of the cluster trim. For the bottom of the cluster I also used a trim tool, but for that one on the far right I had to use a small pick tool to get it to unhook.

With the cluster trim/cluster off you will have access to the T20 of the dash trim and the T25 torx bolt that holds the left side of the screen.

On the passenger side remove the side panel to get access to the two T20 screws. The dash trim can now be be popped off with a trim tool. I worked right to left when pulling the dash trim off.

I swapped the screens after waiting for the car to sleep and the displays to shut off. It's probably safer to disconnect battery.

When putting everything back together, take a look at the tab on the bottom right of the cluster trim and where you think it snaps into. It's supposed to go in between the other part, not just on top of it.
Many thanks and happy new year! I will wait until there is a full tutorial on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 03:44 PM   #90
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Completed my screen replacement today and tutorial is below. I have not yet coded the car so in effect there has not been a change. As that's the part I'm most unfamiliar with, I've signed up for a remote coding session that will hopefully happen soon.

Until then I now have a "touch capable" screen installed. Just need to remove the VO codes and recode the head module. I'm also thinking about removing the ZUY code and checking to see if we can't get the backup assistant to work.

First time making one of these. Hope it helps. Took about an hour. Needed a 20 Torx, a 27 Torx, and some trim tools.

Tutorial for the video here.
Appreciate 6
      01-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #91
Rock2022
Rep

Quote:
Completed my screen replacement today and tutorial is below. I have not yet coded the car so in effect there has not been a change. As that's the part I'm most unfamiliar with, I've signed up for a remote coding session that will hopefully happen soon.

Until then I now have a "touch capable" screen installed. Just need to remove the VO codes and recode the head module. I'm also thinking about removing the ZUY code and checking to see if we can't get the backup assistant to work.

First time making one of these. Hope it helps. Took about an hour. Needed a 20 Torx, a 27 Torx, and some trim tools.

Very nice! Probably you can become a good YouTuber!

Do some Bimmer coding if you would like to :-)
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 05:06 PM   #92
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:

Thanks for doing the video. I'm sure this video will help others.

I loaded up E-Sys just to test if my cable worked. I read the FA and saw the 6UY, but not the ZUY.

Last edited by Sample; 01-01-2022 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #93
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for doing the video. I'm sure this video will help others.
I loaded up E-Sys just to test if my cable worked. I read the FA and saw the 6UY, but not the ZUY.
That's a start! Not sure why the ZUY wouldn't show up. Thats odd. I tried downloading esys a couple weeks ago but there's a known issue with the launch program when doing the virtual machine on a Mac. Otherwise I should be set.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 08:49 PM   #94
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was able to get my touchscreen working on a G05.

1. I used a fully updated Windows 7 x64 and had to install these updates for Visual C++ because I was getting a PSdZ API Module failed error. I installed the x86 version then the x64 version found in the link. I didn't know which I needed so I did both.
2. For installation of E-Sys 3.27.1 I followed the "E-Sys - Installation Instructions - v.17.pdf" For the PSdZData, I used v.4.32.33_PSdZData_Lite
3. For installing E-Sys Launcher PRO 2.8.2_Build_162b BFU Edition, there is a .txt that comes with the .msi installer. I followed that.
4. If you have a tune, you'll want to disable or remove it before coding. For coding, I basically followed "E-Sys - VO Coding Guide.pdf" The guide is for the F10, but its similar to the G05. For the G05 you have to choose S18A, instead of F010 that the guide says to use.
5. Hit the start button on the car 3x for it to pop up the diagnostic mode on the cluster screen. Make sure you have a good battery. You don't want the car to shut off while coding and brick it. Turn off your lights/hvac to save battery.
6. I ran Launcher Pro 2.8.2 as administrator. Right-click icon and choose run as administrator.
7. I clicked the Connect button and chose S18_21_11_530_v004_000_001 (the one WITHOUT the direct suffix). According to the install instructions (E-Sys - Installation Instructions - v.17.pdf), S18A psdzdata covers the G05. There were two different S18A on my list a 21_07_568 and a 21_11_530. I chose the latter because my G05 was running 11/2021.30. Make sure you use the correct one for your chassis and version. You can check what version your car has in iDrive. Go to Settings->General Settings. Scroll down to Other\Remote Software Upgrade. It will tell you the installed version. If you don't have the correct S18A listed in the connection options, you'll need to update your psdzdata folder. The instructions say you need to delete the old and then copy the new into it. Don't merge the new on top of the old, per step 6 in the "E-Sys - Installation Instructions - v.17.pdf"
8. I clicked Refresh and then my VIN popped up. I clicked the radio button that said Connection via VIN and pressed the Connect button.
9. On Expert Mode/Coding, click Read
10. Click Save button. I put FA_Original.xml to have a backup of the original
11. Click File -> Save As. I put Touchscreen.xml. Now you're working on the Touchscreen.xml file
12. Click Edit
13. Drill down into the folder FA\FZAuftrag\Type\SALAPA-Elements. Highlight the SALAPA-Element folder.
14. Bottom left of screen are all the codes. I deleted 6UY, There are no spaces and each code is separated by a comma. They appear to be alphabetical.
15. There is a 'Apply Changes' button at the top right corner of the SALAPA-Element box. The icon looks like a rectangle with a yellow arrow pointing left. Hit that.
16. Right-Click on FA and choose Calculate FP to make sure there are no errors.
17. If no errors, press the Save icon that looks like a floppy disk.
18. The "E-Sys - VO Coding Guide.pdf" says pages 14-15 are optional (doing the VCM Master/Write FA FP). I didn't do them, because I read somewhere that it may cause issues with updates.
19. I skipped to page 16. Click on Expert Mode -> Coding.
20. Click Load and choose the xml that you saved to enable the touchscreen (deletion of 6UY).
21. Right-click on the FA folder and choose Activate FA
22. Instructions say to click Read SVT, but I got an error. I found this post by ifr that shows him using the Read ECU button instead. I clicked Read-ECU and it worked.
23. A list of folders pops up on the Bottom left of the screen under a SVT heading. Scroll down and right-click on the "HU_MGU [63]" folder and chose Code. The touchscreen should start to work after it reboots itself.
24. To enable back-up assistance you will also have to right-click and choose code on other ECUs. I have got backup assistant to work, but I coded a bunch of ECUs before it started working. I know you need to at least do USS, and possibly others. See post #103 for other modules you may need to code.

Last edited by Sample; 01-08-2022 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 4
      01-01-2022, 09:14 PM   #95
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

Is the backup assistant greyed out as Kplatinum's was?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 09:14 PM   #96
Rock2022
Rep

Quote:
I was able to get my touchscreen working on a G05.

1. I used a fully updated Windows 7 x64 and had to install these updates for Visual C++ because I was getting a PSdZ API Module failed error. I installed the x86 version then the x64 version found in the link. I didn't know which I needed so I did both.
2. For installation of E-Sys 3.27.1 I followed the "E-Sys - Installation Instructions - v.17.pdf" For the PSdZData, I used v.4.32.33_PSdZData_Lite
3. For installing E-Sys Launcher PRO 2.8.2_Build_162b BFU Edition, there is a .txt that comes with the .msi installer. I followed that.
4. If you have a tune, you'll want to disable or remove it before coding. For coding, I basically followed "E-Sys - VO Coding Guide.pdf" The guide is for the F10, but its similar to the G05. For the G05 you have to choose S18, instead of F010 that the guide says to use.
5. Hit the start button on the car 3x for it to pop up the diagnostic mode on the cluster screen.
6. I ran Launcher Pro 2.8.2 as administrator.
7. Clicked the Connect button and chose S18_21_11_530_v004_000_001 (the one WITHOUT the direct suffix). According to the install instructions, S18A psdzdata covers the G05. There were two different S18A on my list a 21_07_568 and a 21_11_530. I chose the latter because my G05 has the latest update.
8. I clicked Refresh and then my VIN popped up. I clicked the radio button that said Connection via VIN and pressed the Connect button.
9. On Expert Mode/Coding, click Read
10. Click Save button. I put FA_Original.xml to have a backup of the original
11. Click File -> Save As. I put Touchscreen.xml. Now you're working on the Touchscreen.xml file
12. Click Edit
13. Drill down into the folder FA\FZAuftrag\Type\SALAPA-Elements. Highlight the SALAPA-Element folder.
14. Bottom left of screen are all the codes. I deleted 6UY, There are no spaces and each code is separated by a comma. They appear to be alphabetical.
15. There is a 'Apply Changes' button at the top right corner of the SALAPA-Element box. The icon looks like a rectangle with a yellow arrow pointing left. Hit that.
16. Right-Click on FA and choose Calculate FP to make sure there are no errors.
17. If no errors, press the Save icon that looks like a floppy disk.
18. The "E-Sys - VO Coding Guide.pdf" says pages 14-15 are optional (doing the VCM Master/Write FA FP). I didn't do them, because I read somewhere that it may cause issues with updates.
19. I skipped to page 16. Click on Expert Mode -> Coding.
20. Click Load and choose the xml that you saved with the touchscreen enabled.
21. Click Read
22. Right-click on the FA folder and choose Activate FA
23. Instructions say to click Read SVT, but I got an error. I found this post by ifr that shows him using the Read ECU button instead. I clicked Read-ECU and it worked.
24. A list of folders pops up on the Bottom left of the screen under a SVT heading. I scrolled down and right-clicked on the "HU_MGU [63]" folder and chose Code.
25. It does it's thing and when it finishes the touchscreen immediately started working.

I didn't see code ZUY for backup assistant. All the codes listed started with a number. There's probably something else that needs to be done to get backup assistant to work.
Jesse,,,my eyes become blur after reading them. Thanks for sharing haha
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 09:41 PM   #97
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yea. It's there, but greyed out. I also tried coding BDC_Body and SAS3 (I read someone advising to code this with engine running) and it didn't help with backup assistant.

Last edited by Sample; 01-02-2022 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 11:38 AM   #98
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yea. It's there, but greyed out. I also tried coding BDC_Body and SAS3 (I read someone advising to code this with engine running) and it didn't help with backup assistant.
Happy to report after a coding session this morning that the touchscreen is back in operation. No ZUY code and my backup assistant is still grayed out.

I'm not sure how many modules that backup assistant touches. Brakes, steering wheel, parking sensors?, head module (already coded), etc. Any thoughts on just coding all of them? Not sure exactly what affect that may have.
Appreciate 4
      01-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #99
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Happy to report after a coding session this morning that the touchscreen is back in operation. No ZUY code and my backup assistant is still grayed out.

I'm not sure how many modules that backup assistant touches. Brakes, steering wheel, parking sensors?, head module (already coded), etc. Any thoughts on just coding all of them? Not sure exactly what affect that may have.
Awesome work! Thanks for sharing details and creating the video. Who did you use to code and how much? Was the process quick?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #100
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Congrats! I'm not sure about the coding. I don't want to venture too much and cause any issues. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on coding can chime in.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 05:24 PM   #101
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFreak View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing details and creating the video. Who did you use to code and how much? Was the process quick?
Steve at Codemybimmer.com took care of it. Very knowledgeable and knew exactly what was going on. Took about 30 min or so and was done remotely. He showed me how to do it but was honestly a bit overwhelmed looking at it the first time. He did install esys on my MacBook so hoping to do a little more digging into the system in the future. Cost was $75 I believe but may have been on special.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #102
dminko
Rep
Drives: X7

Hey Guys, I want to share my experience with retrofitting the central display for my X7 2022. I was also the lucky one who got a touchable screen removal configuration.

Firstly, thanks a million to everyone who posted in this thread about what is needed to get the retrofitting done.

Secondly, everything is working as expected now except the Backup Assistant. It is visible now but still disabled, as the other guys mentioned. Have no idea yet what is needed to fix it.

So, good luck to everyone who is just going to do it. We have a lot of info for that.

Btw, Please be very careful when you work with a connected battery. In my case, I simply was not able to disconnect it that because I didn't find how to reach out to the negative pole connector. In X7 2022, it is right under the plastic panel where we have windshield wiper blade arms attached. Therefore, I decided to work with plugged battery. I found that the main reason to disconnect the battery is to prevent a situation when your steering wheel will start moving back in the initial position if you touch any button or even open a door. It happened to me when I put the dashboard on a steering column and had to open the door to have more space to work with a screwdriver. I was very close to squishing my dashboard. Everything else went pretty smoothly, but it takes a long time when you are doing that first time in your life

Lastly, yet look forward to getting news from our community about what is missing to fix the Backup Assistant removal. Please keep us updated on who finds the solution!
Appreciate 3
TurtleBoy13221.00
bastula183.00
      01-06-2022, 09:47 PM   #103
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I got Back-up Assistant working!

I decided to give it another try and googled all the ECUs that showed up in my car and made a list of what I thought might affect the backup assistant. I am now able to select Back-up Assistant.

So here's the order of the ECUs I VO Coded to remove 6UY. I don't know if they all need to be coded or just HU_MGU [63] and USS:

1. HU_MGU [63] (Confirmed) - VO Coded in diagnostic mode. This enabled touch and made the Backup Assistant menu appear, but the menu was not clickable.

2. BDC_Body3 and SAS3 - I VO Coded both of these while the engine was running per some thread I came across coding SAS3. BDC_Body was mentioned in affecting lane change assistance and SAS is Steering Angle Sensor. This didn't change anything though.

3. ACSM5 (Confirmed) - I came across this thread that mentioned back-up assistant and a comment about it determining whether reverse assistant was installed. I VO Coded in diagnostic mode, but still nothing.

4. KAFAS4 (Probably don't need this one, per post #132) - I think this has something to do with the camera system. VO Coded in diagnostic mode, but no change.

5. USS (Confirmed) - This is the Ultrasonic Sensor used for Parking Aid. VO Coded in diagnostic mode and now Back-up Assistant can be selected!

At this point I noticed the button with the circle around the car was red (button next to the hazards button). It turns red while you're in diagnostic mode. Exited diagnostic mode and circle turned green. Checked the Vehicle Status and all was good.

I tested back-up assistant successfully.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sample; 01-21-2022 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 8
bastula183.00
dminko10.50
TurtleBoy13221.00
c12h231.00
XSnake1.50
      01-06-2022, 10:18 PM   #104
sao1118
Rep
Drives: X7 m50i

22 X7 experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminko View Post
Hey Guys, I want to share my experience with retrofitting the central display for my X7 2022. I was also the lucky one who got a touchable screen removal configuration.

Firstly, thanks a million to everyone who posted in this thread about what is needed to get the retrofitting done.

Secondly, everything is working as expected now except the Backup Assistant. It is visible now but still disabled, as the other guys mentioned. Have no idea yet what is needed to fix it.

So, good luck to everyone who is just going to do it. We have a lot of info for that.

Btw, Please be very careful when you work with a connected battery. In my case, I simply was not able to disconnect it that because I didn't find how to reach out to the negative pole connector. In X7 2022, it is right under the plastic panel where we have windshield wiper blade arms attached. Therefore, I decided to work with plugged battery. I found that the main reason to disconnect the battery is to prevent a situation when your steering wheel will start moving back in the initial position if you touch any button or even open a door. It happened to me when I put the dashboard on a steering column and had to open the door to have more space to work with a screwdriver. I was very close to squishing my dashboard. Everything else went pretty smoothly, but it takes a long time when you are doing that first time in your life

Lastly, yet look forward to getting news from our community about what is missing to fix the Backup Assistant removal. Please keep us updated on who finds the solution!
Thank you for sharing your experience with the ‘22 X7. I’ve been researching this since taking delivery of mine without touchscreen and appears several have now had success which is great to hear!! Did you happen to video record the disassembly process and where you experienced more difficult aspects of removing/installing the screen?

Did you purchase the touchscreen that has been discussed on this forum from opuradio.com?

For coding - did you use ESYS and do it yourself or have help from someone more familiar with coding that did it remotely? I know a few have been referenced on this thread.

Any other suggestions? I’m about to order the part.

Thank you!!
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2022, 08:38 AM   #105
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I made some progress on enabling Backup Assistant.

I decided to give it another try and googled all the ECUs that showed up in my car and made a list of things that I thought might affect the backup assistant. I am now able to select Back-up Assistant! I haven't tested it yet, but hopefully I will be able to tomorrow.

So here's the order of the ECUs I VO Coded the removal of 6UY. I don't know if all these needed to be coded or just HU_MGU [63] and USS:

1. HU_MGU [63] - VO Coded in diagnostic mode. This enabled touch and made the Backup Assistant menu appear, but the menu was not clickable.

2. BDC_Body and SAS3 - I VO Coded both of these while the engine was running per some thread I came across coding SAS3. BDC_Body was mentioned in affecting lane change assistance and SAS is Steering Angle Sensor. This didn't change anything though.

3. ACSM5 - I came across this thread that mentioned back-up assistant and a comment about it determining whether reverse assistant was installed. I VO Coded in diagnostic mode, but still nothing.

4. KAFAS4 - I think this has something to do with the camera system. VO Coded in diagnostic mode, but no change.

5. USS - This is the Ultrasonic Sensor used for Parking Aid. VO Coded in diagnostic mode and now Back-up Assistant can be clicked!

At this point I noticed the button with the circle around the car was red (button next to the hazards button). Panic! But as it turns out it's red while you're in diagnostic mode. Whew. Exited diagnostic mode and circle turned green. Checked the Vehicle Status and all was good.

I'll edit this post after I test it. Hopefully, with good news.
Great stuff! Out of town now otherwise I'd try to duplicate it. Do you think you needed to code all of those units or just the last one? Let us know if it's operating or not too. That'd be fantastic if it was back in service.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 08:41 AM   #106
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao1118 View Post
Quote:

Thank you for sharing your experience with the ‘22 X7. I’ve been researching this since taking delivery of mine without touchscreen and appears several have now had success which is great to hear!! Did you happen to video record the disassembly process and where you experienced more difficult aspects of removing/installing the screen?

Did you purchase the touchscreen that has been discussed on this forum from opuradio.com?

For coding - did you use ESYS and do it yourself or have help from someone more familiar with coding that did it remotely? I know a few have been referenced on this thread.

Thank you!!
Take a look at one of the earlier threads here. I created a video for the screen removal and replacement but did not code anything in the tutorial. Sample seems to have gotten the coding down for the screen and the backup assistant
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #107
sao1118
Rep

Quote:
Take a look at one of the earlier threads here. I created a video for the screen removal and replacement but did not code anything in the tutorial. Sample seems to have gotten the coding down for the screen and the backup assistant
I've watched your video (thank you so much for posting it) and read all the posts and links. I understood that the video was for your X5 so was just curious to see if there was one taken for an X7 as not sure if it will be any different for removing the trim to access the screws. Excited to see the success on the coding too!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:47 AM   #108
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

My opuradio screen came in from Hong Kong. I found cheaper ones on eBay, but I was nervous getting one with scratches on the screen.

I got the screen delivered to me in NY within 4 days! Packaged really well and secure. Screen looks perfect and new as noted from others., even though the manufacturing date shows 2019.

I'll start the install tomorrow and I'm trying to see if I can code it myself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-07-2022, 12:37 PM   #109
dminko
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao1118 View Post

Thank you!!
I had purchased my screen a bit earlier than I found this thread discussing how to retrofit a touchable CID. So, I bought it from Bimmer-Tech.net guys. It appeared to be much more expensive than opuradio.com offers. If I knew about them of course I would have bought from them and saved some money.

Anyway, the screen was delivered in an ideal condition and the sticker said it was produced in 2019.

The good thing with Bimmer-Tech is shipment was pretty fast and the coding and ENET cable was included in my order. So, the coding part went pretty easily for me.

My real challenge was how to install the new display without any real experience in that. So, it took some time to be prepare and become confident I will be able to do that

Mckelvie37 created a great video that I watched a few times before my own installation. I didn't find any difference between X5 and X7.

But, I also found another video exactly for X7 where we can see the exact process of removing the dashboard trim and the dashboard itself.

Here is the link

I even bought a native windows laptop because I read that E-Sys won't work well if you have an Apple M1 laptop (it was my case). Initially, I was going to do the coding myself because I forgot that the coding was already included in my order.

This time a guy from Bimmer-Tech did everything remotely and very quickly. Btw, I believe they can do the same remotely on both, the Apple MacBook Pro and PC laptops because they don't use E-Sys, they installed their own app on my laptop and do everything through that.
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2022, 01:38 PM   #110
sao1118
Rep

Quote:
I had purchased my screen a bit earlier than I found this thread discussing how to retrofit a touchable CID. So, I bought it from Bimmer-Tech.net guys. It appeared to be much more expensive than opuradio.com offers. If I knew about them of course I would have bought from them and saved some money.

Anyway, the screen was delivered in an ideal condition and the sticker said it was produced in 2019.

The good thing with Bimmer-Tech is shipment was pretty fast and the coding and ENET cable was included in my order. So, the coding part went pretty easily for me.

My real challenge was how to install the new display without any real experience in that. So, it took some time to be prepare and become confident I will be able to do that

Mckelvie37 created a great video that I watched a few times before my own installation. I didn't find any difference between X5 and X7.

But, I also found another video exactly for X7 where we can see the exact process of removing the dashboard trim and the dashboard itself.

Here is the link

I even bought a native windows laptop because I read that E-Sys won't work well if you have an Apple M1 laptop (it was my case). Initially, I was going to do the coding myself because I forgot that the coding was already included in my order.

This time a guy from Bimmer-Tech did everything remotely and very quickly. Btw, I believe they can do the same remotely on both, the Apple MacBook Pro and PC laptops because they don't use E-Sys, they installed their own app on my laptop and do everything through that.
dminko - this is great additional information! Would you mind posting a link and/or model of what you bought from Bimmer-tech.com? When you add in shipping, separate costs of coding, and cables it is possible that it isn't that much more than opuradio.

Thanks for posting the X7 video too - I will check that out.
Appreciate 0