BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2022, 08:51 AM   #1
milksteak69420
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Clubman All4 S

X5 45e Maintenance

Anyone have experience with the maintenance schedule on a 45e. Do you go longer between engine maintenance if you are primarily driving on electric?

Just ordred a x5 45e and I'm trying to figure out which maintenance plan to get.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by milksteak69420 View Post
Anyone have experience with the maintenance schedule on a 45e. Do you go longer between engine maintenance if you are primarily driving on electric?
The schedule is the same despite using the ICE less. the mileage/computer-based notification system doesn't distinguish between electric vs ICE miles. my odometer read 4330 miles (~1300 ICE miles) when I had my 1-year maintenance/oil change performed. at this rate, my 'first' oil change would be at 8 years… too much of a hassle to keep a separate log of ICE vs electric miles IMO. easiest just to keep on schedule as there are other things not related to the ICE that also need regular maintenance at those predetermined intervals
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:09 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

BMW recommends changing the oil after a year, regardless of the number of miles on the vehicle unless you've triggered an oil change by the condition based service logic earlier. On the 45e, because the engine may not run long or often, it doesn't have the chance to burn out any volatile components since it may not get hot long enough, so that can degrade the oil (primarily moisture that doesn't get boiled out, but could be blow-by gasoline components that may make it into the oil). The inhibitors in the oil can only handle so much, and it's not all a factor of actual miles driven versus the time involved.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:33 AM   #4
Silver64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 45e

nZtiZia, jad03060 and other 45e owners… do you run Sport (+) on occasion for the specific purpose jad03060 mentions above? After the break in period of course…
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver64 View Post
nZtiZia, jad03060 and other 45e owners… do you run Sport (+) on occasion for the specific purpose jad03060 mentions above? After the break in period of course…
I do. all my weekend driving is strictly Sport Individual. still, my fuel tank is 69% full since I last filled up in August 2020, so not sure if it's really been beneficial lol
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #6
Silver64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I do. all my weekend driving is strictly Sport Individual. still, my fuel tank is 69% full since I last filled up in August 2020, so not sure if it's really been beneficial lol
Holy crap! Do you have to put a fuel additive in… that’s a long time sitting in the tank.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver64 View Post
Holy crap! Do you have to put a fuel additive in… that's a long time sitting in the tank.
that's debatable. I did for that fill-up. i probably will continue for now, but I think I'm leaning towards using the ICE more than relying on fuel stabilizer.

there's a whole thread on this I'll try to find and link. what makes the "correct" answer not so clear cut is the the 45e's sealed/pressurized fuel tank which fuel stabilizer studies don't factor.

oh, I just remembered! the amount of water that condenses out of the air inside the fuel tank is minuscule compared to the remaining amount of good fuel, so adding fuel stabilizer isn't really stabilizing much of anything. that being said, I'm leaning towards no longer using it but running the ICE more often/longer which has more overall benefits
Appreciate 0