BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-08-2020, 02:05 AM   #1
Carneylad
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d, Tesla Model 3

Display key died

I've had my display key (and the car it opens) for a month now. Yesterday the car was complaining that the key battery was low. I know the display key has two batteries, one for the display and one for the key. The display was showing that the battery was almost full and I could lock and unlock the car from about 100m so that seemed like there was loads of power in that battery too.

Turns out that the display was showing a false reading for the display battery and it was indeed going flat. Now it's dead and it won't charge through either a cable (tried all the cables I have and all the sockets) or wireless pad.

The key did look like it was going to restart once but failed. Now it's just a blank screen and no way to turn it on. I've held the buttons to reset it as per the manual but makes no difference. Thankfully it still locks/unlocks/starts the car.

Hopefully it'll be covered under warranty.

Also be interested if they can find out what happened it. I have one of those cars where the wireless charging pad generates orders of magnitude more heat than charge. I "charged" the key there a few time's and it always came up with a high temperature warning. iPhone X does the same. Hopefully the pad isn't killing devices...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

So it's funny you should have this, as I've just gone through the same issue.

Display key completely died after about a month of the display battery dying.

Couldn't even get into the car.

I unlocked the car via iPhone through the app

Put the fob in the charging tray, it briefly came to life and display went black again, but it would allow me to start the car.

So since then, I've had in the wireless charging tray all day and still no charge.

I've plugged it into the mains with a micro usb and it's now charged up and working fully.

I found just keeping a hold of the power button (3-5 seconds) did bring it to life.