BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-01-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

VTG - Longitudinal Torque Motor failure

Got a whole bunch of errors soon as I started my car and placed into reverse. First up was drivers assistance reduced, then 4x4 malfunction, then restraint systems malfunction, then parking assistance function malfunction. Took pictures of all as corroboration - just in case!

Stopped and started engine a few times to see if it will clear - nope; rebooted iDrive - same errors. Was 5 mins from my dealer so thought to drive there - but power steering assist was out! One direction it would provide normal steering assistance, but the other direction had to lean the whole body in to turn the steering wheel.

Managed to drive it to the dealer and left it running in the driveway but the valet moved it and turned it off so by the time the service advisor did the walk around 20 minutes later, no errors except "restraint system" malfunction and car drove fine - sigh. They give me a nice X5 loaner while they looked into it.

Turns out the car had logged a bunch of error codes (25 in all! see attachments) but their test plans came back inconclusive for all. So they opened a TSARA case and downloaded all scoped data and sent the "FASTA" data to BMW tech services. TSARA asked them to replace the VTG Module (P/N: 27-60-9-469-023), calibrate and reprogram entire vehicle (now has 2019.11/55). All faults cleared and car is back to being normal again!

I was initially worried that maybe it was corrosion in the electronics from water damage as I had a sunroof leak a few months ago that they had to replace the entire sunroof cassette and frame to fix. Glad it was something else but still weird that a faulty transfer case longitudinal module would cause this much havoc in seemingly unrelated subsystems. Even weirder, my 2011 X3 F25 had the VTG motor replaced as well due to drive system malfunction errors barely 3 months after build date - and I don't even have a lead foot!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
radmjk238.00
      03-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
Got a whole bunch of errors soon as I started my car and placed into reverse. First up was drivers assistance reduced, then 4x4 malfunction, then restraint systems malfunction, then parking assistance function malfunction. Took pictures of all as corroboration - just in case!

Stopped and started engine a few times to see if it will clear - nope; rebooted iDrive - same errors. Was 5 mins from my dealer so thought to drive there - but power steering assist was out! One direction it would provide normal steering assistance, but the other direction had to lean the whole body in to turn the steering wheel.

Managed to drive it to the dealer and left it running in the driveway but the valet moved it and turned it off so by the time the service advisor did the walk around 20 minutes later, no errors except "restraint system" malfunction and car drove fine - sigh. They give me a nice X5 loaner while they looked into it.

Turns out the car had logged a bunch of error codes (25 in all! see attachments) but their test plans came back inconclusive for all. So they opened a TSARA case and downloaded all scoped data and sent the "FASTA" data to BMW tech services. TSARA asked them to replace the VTG Module (P/N: 27-60-9-469-023), calibrate and reprogram entire vehicle (now has 2019.11/55). All faults cleared and car is back to being normal again!

I was initially worried that maybe it was corrosion in the electronics from water damage as I had a sunroof leak a few months ago that they had to replace the entire sunroof cassette and frame to fix. Glad it was something else but still weird that a faulty transfer case longitudinal module would cause this much havoc in seemingly unrelated subsystems. Even weirder, my 2011 X3 F25 had the VTG motor replaced as well due to drive system malfunction errors barely 3 months after build date - and I don't even have a lead foot!
I'm sorry to hear about your issue. Hope all better now. I like the detailed description in the note by the service advisor, referring to your short stop at Starbucks.
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
So what did you get at Starbucks?

Our cars are very interconnected and many features depend on common parts so when a common part fails, it can disable a slew of features and each one is capable of lighting up on your dash. At first you freak, thinking you have multiple failures but here is a recent example I had on my X3.

All the dash lights were caused by the same issue - two defective ABS Wheel Speed Sensors. Once I replaced them, all the lights disappeared and the car was back to normal. Not sure why the airbag light lit (passenger seat detector) up but that too disappeared.

The ABS braking system relies on the wheel speed in order to work. My cruise control didn't work either even though no dash light represented it but that too needs to know what the wheel speeds are, my power steering was severely diminished and it was like driving a car with manual steering and it even reduced throttle and engine power in an effort to prevent further issues, sorta like it went into self preservation mode A.K.A. Limp Home mode.

When I read the codes that were stored in the puter, there were more than a dozen and they all cleared once I replaced the two wheel speed sensors.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
So what did you get at Starbucks?

Our cars are very interconnected and many features depend on common parts so when a common part fails, it can disable a slew of features and each one is capable of lighting up on your dash. At first you freak, thinking you have multiple failures but here is a recent example I had on my X3.

All the dash lights were caused by the same issue - two defective ABS Wheel Speed Sensors. Once I replaced them, all the lights disappeared and the car was back to normal. Not sure why the airbag light lit (passenger seat detector) up but that too disappeared.

The ABS braking system relies on the wheel speed in order to work. My cruise control didn't work either even though no dash light represented it but that too needs to know what the wheel speeds are, my power steering was severely diminished and it was like driving a car with manual steering and it even reduced throttle and engine power in an effort to prevent further issues, sorta like it went into self preservation mode A.K.A. Limp Home mode.

When I read the codes that were stored in the puter, there were more than a dozen and they all cleared once I replaced the two wheel speed sensors.

Must have been that darned Nitro Cold Brew coffee!! The B58 engine could not handle it!!
Appreciate 0