BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
SensibleFaucet
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Seasons

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I got the Pirellis in the tire dice roll out of the factory when I took delivery back in May. I've only recently had to drive through some heavier rain and on soaked highways and I have to say, I'm pretty surprised at how easily the car hydroplaned on these. The wet grip seemed okay, but the lack of hydroplaning resistance really gave me a knot in the pit of my stomach whenever I hit a puddle.

I don't drive aggressively in those conditions and I'm aware that any tire will hydroplane if going fast enough (especially wider tires) but I hit lots of different puddles at conservative speeds and the tires handled it poorly each time. Other cars seemed to be handling the same areas without issue.

So, I have two questions:

1) Anyone else?

2) I'm trying to figure out now whether I want to remove these and hang on to them until the end of the lease before throwing them back on. I'll be faster to do it if anyone can provide some treadwear feedback. Will these make it to 36,000 miles before getting to 4/32 of an inch under normal driving? Tirerack doesn't have enough data yet and neither do I. Has anyone had these for over 15,000 or 20,000 miles who can report how they're wearing?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFaucet View Post

I got the Pirellis in the tire dice roll out of the factory when I took delivery back in May. I've only recently had to drive through some heavier rain and on soaked highways and I have to say, I'm pretty surprised at how easily the car hydroplaned on these. The wet grip seemed okay, but the lack of hydroplaning resistance really gave me a knot in the pit of my stomach whenever I hit a puddle.

I don't drive aggressively in those conditions and I'm aware that any tire will hydroplane if going fast enough (especially wider tires) but I hit lots of different puddles at conservative speeds and the tires handled it poorly each time. Other cars seemed to be handling the same areas without issue.

1) Anyone else?

2) I'm trying to figure out now whether I want to remove these and hang on to them until the end of the lease before throwing them back on. I'll be faster to do it if anyone can provide some treadwear feedback. Will these make it to 36,000 miles before getting to 4/32 of an inch under normal driving? Tirerack doesn't have enough data yet and neither do I. Has anyone had these for over 15,000 or 20,000 miles who can report how they're wearing?
How many miles did you have on your tire and factory wheel size optioned - 20, 21, 22?

Also if you have less than 1200 miles, there's still a coating on the tire which will wear off while driving - increasing traction.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Hydroplaning is a function of the vehicle's speed, weight, area of the tire's contact patch, and the tread block design/depth. The tires will lift up off the road surface once they are no longer able to evacuate water filling tread blocks in the contact patch. Coating on the tire may affect how the tires grip/handle once they drop back down to the road surface, but not their propensity to hydroplane in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
SensibleFaucet
Rep

I have factory 20" and the tires had several thousand miles on them.

I guess it is what it is with the tires. What I really want to know is if these will wear to <4/32" before ~36,000 miles. I drive normally.

Edit: Because if they will, I'll throw different tires on right now.

Last edited by SensibleFaucet; 11-16-2020 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Addition
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #5
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I drive normally pretty fast and never had hydroplaned. Even at heavy rain. That sounds weird that you have it so quickly.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFaucet View Post

1) Anyone else?

I lost the lottery as well. Ended up with Pirelli's. Big disappointment. Haven't picked the X6M up yet because of the stop sale. Teasing me right beside it was a 2020 X6M with the Michelins and different wheels, however it was sold. Could of had them swap them out I am a pretty aggressive driver so we'll see.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
I drive normally pretty fast and never had hydroplaned. Even at heavy rain. That sounds weird that you have it so quickly.
And your tires and wheels are identical to OP?

For what it's worth, while I am not impressed with the run-flat portion of the PZ4 (those are the summer performance, not all season versions) that I got in the lottery on 741M rims, they do not seem to specifically hydroplane badly. Perhaps this is an issue specifically with the all season version.

As to whether they will last OP to end of their lease, mine definitely will not last anywhere near than mileage, but summer performance tires normally wear much faster than all seasons. Still, if I had to guess, they will not last the lease time and, in any case, safety ought to trump cost particularly when they are behaving as badly as the OP describes. My opinion.
      11-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
SensibleFaucet
Rep

I'm going to see how they do in the snow this winter before I make any decisions. Snow grip and wet grip/hydroplaning resistance are often oppositional when it comes to tire design. We'll see if these tires have any redeeming qualities...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #9
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

please report back indeed... I though the all-season would have great hydroplaning prevention capability.

It rains plenty here in miami but I went with the summer tire on 741M 21", we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The wider the tire, all other things being equal, the more likely it is to hydroplane. It makes it harder to squeegee the water out from underneath.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:52 AM   #11
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
And your tires and wheels are identical to OP?

For what it's worth, while I am not impressed with the run-flat portion of the PZ4 (those are the summer performance, not all season versions) that I got in the lottery on 741M rims, they do not seem to specifically hydroplane badly. Perhaps this is an issue specifically with the all season version......
My bad, your right, mine are summer as well. You think it is such a big difference between all season and Summer/winter tires concerning hydroplaning.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #12
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep

Everything is a compromise. Adding the siping and other tread block changes likely affect the wet weather performance in exchange for cold/snow/ice.

Summer tires need to be able to evacuate standing water from heavy thunderstorms and other summertime wet weather events... as such they are usually pretty good in the wet. Things change dramatically though once the temperatures get below 50 degrees and fall off a cliff below 43ish.

Good test video showing the difference in the wet:

Last edited by Fennario; 11-23-2020 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Havy292.00
      12-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #13
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

P zero's have always been a very summer heavy tire with mild winter capability.
Appreciate 0