Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummyGit View Post
I've read that the UK car does have differences to it's speed limit and no-overtaking detection, variable distance on the adaptive cruise control, and better lane controls linked to the satnav
I'm sure there a minor differences but in general the features are consistent from MY20 to MY21. I get updates via BMW PressClub Global and attempt to post releases when available.

Adaptive cruise control with distance control functions the same across US & UK - with 4 preset distance settings. Speed limit control is consistent across US/UK with differences with round-abouts since there's not many in the US. Lane controls and showing work zones etc are consistent across US/UK.

Quote:
Additionally I believe the MY 2021 includes more options for remotely setting seat heating etc, and the eDrive facility for driving in European low emissions zones.
Remote start and climatization for requested departure time is all there, with seat heating, ventilation if optioned with Luxury Seating Package.

I'm not familiar with eDrive facility since the 45e is just launching in the USA. I'll have the technical documentation available a bit later.

I'm sure our UK and EU forum members will chime in to assist with your inquiries. Cheers and welcome.
Remote start is not available on the 45e. But it is not necessary either. You can start the airconditioning remotely because it is powered by the HV battery.

I don't think remote start is available on other engines either. I think it is not legally allowed in Europe. Some do have the OEM additional heather that can be switched on remotely. Not necessary on the 45e either because of electric heating.

Just make sure there is enough battery charge left.

The adaptive CC features mentioned in the press release I posted are not completely clear to me. I already have lane suggestion when navigating. Adaptive distance control seems to be something new.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #112
BrummyGit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e M Sport

Thanks for so many really helpful replies. I'm so glad I found this forum.

It sounds like many features are already active or will be via OTA updates. This is a new concept as with my current Audi A6 they won't even update any software at the dealership unless you can prove you have a fault in the current version, and the only over the air connectivity it has is limited to SatNav map updates.

Is adding new features via OTA updates now normal for BMW?

Based on the replies I received, I will be progressing an order for the 45e tomorrow. Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #113
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for so many really helpful replies. I'm so glad I found this forum.

It sounds like many features are already active or will be via OTA updates. This is a new concept as with my current Audi A6 they won't even update any software at the dealership unless you can prove you have a fault in the current version, and the only over the air connectivity it has is limited to SatNav map updates.

Is adding new features via OTA updates now normal for BMW?

Based on the replies I received, I will be progressing an order for the 45e tomorrow. Thank you!!
OTA is functional. Apparently thousands of cars have been updated in Europe last weeks. However they where updated tot 11/2019 not 03/2020. So the OTA is always one version behind. A software update to the latest version can only be done at the dealership and takes quite long. So they are only going to do it if really needed and they don't really want to.

Map update is still with USB stick. But it's easy to do.

I wonder when my car will be updated OTA if new functionality is introduced in July.

You make it sound more fluent than it really is. It is not as functional as with Tesla for example.

Good luck on ordering and even morge with the wait! You will be happy! Ps when you come from an A6. From July you can also order a 530e xdrive touring and 545e sedan.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #114
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Don't we believe that in terms of OTA, being a few rev levels behind the most current software iteration may not be a bad thing. Dealers are having their own difficulties coming up to speed on software update ramifications, can you imagine if the latest software were to be installed on thousands of vehicles via OTA and that software caused any safety related issues?

Only judging from reported issues that software has caused and solved, BMW has their hands full with proper software testing, regression testing, etc and it would be detrimental for them to release new software to the general populous. So they are taking a safer (for you) route by only releasing "proven" (using this term lightly:-) software via OTA and the latest at the dealer where it might be caught if something were to go wrong. I don't believe Tesla simply releases their latest via OTA either, they or any manufacturer has the latest version under test within their company.

What would be very nice is if along with the OTA, a list of changes were sent so owners would.. ..
1. Know if they wanted that particular OTA or not
2. Know what to expect after the OTA installation
3. Know if that OTA caused something that was working to now no longer work
4. Attempt to know if someones custom coding might be impacted or reset by the OTA (though BMW would not/should not be concerned with this).

Anyway, if your car is running fine and you are a few levels of software behind what the dealers can do for you, then all should be considered well. Sooner or later, todays latest OTA will come your way and at some point down the road, getting OTA's will become the norm and a bit pass'. Its like chasing the proverbial carrot.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #115
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Don't we believe that in terms of OTA, being a few rev levels behind the most current software iteration may not be a bad thing. Dealers are having their own difficulties coming up to speed on software update ramifications, can you imagine if the latest software were to be installed on thousands of vehicles via OTA and that software caused any safety related issues?

Only judging from reported issues that software has caused and solved, BMW has their hands full with proper software testing, regression testing, etc and it would be detrimental for them to release new software to the general populous. So they are taking a safer (for you) route by only releasing "proven" (using this term lightly:-) software via OTA and the latest at the dealer where it might be caught if something were to go wrong. I don't believe Tesla simply releases their latest via OTA either, they or any manufacturer has the latest version under test within their company.

What would be very nice is if along with the OTA, a list of changes were sent so owners would.. ..
1. Know if they wanted that particular OTA or not
2. Know what to expect after the OTA installation
3. Know if that OTA caused something that was working to now no longer work
4. Attempt to know if someones custom coding might be impacted or reset by the OTA (though BMW would not/should not be concerned with this).

Anyway, if your car is running fine and you are a few levels of software behind what the dealers can do for you, then all should be considered well. Sooner or later, todays latest OTA will come your way and at some point down the road, getting OTA's will become the norm and a bit pass'. Its like chasing the proverbial carrot.
I think being one version behind for the OTA is the right way to go indeed for BMW as a company. We only know what we know when we know it and some thing are only clear after a couple of months. So better safe than sorry. Especially when it is made available for ten thousands of cars at the same time. I bug would lead to a huge disaster with cars being immobilized as show in one of the posts.

On the other hand I can be quite impatient as a customer. It's like the iPhone 12 being announced and being available in all the world but with a delay of 3 months in Belgium. So if I hear new functionality is introduced I want it ASAP too. And I know this is not always the best way to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #116
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
I've just registered here as I'm looking for info and hope someone can help.

I'm in the UK and ready to order an X5 45e M Sport but as this is through my employers lease scheme, and our local BMW dealers are closed due to COVID-19, I've struggled to get a straight answer on when I can be sure I would get a MY 2021 UK spec vehicle and not MY 2020. I even tried BMW UK via social media and got told they know nothing about any 2021 changes .

I've read that the UK car does have differences to it's speed limit and no-overtaking detection, variable distance on the adaptive cruise control, and better lane controls linked to the satnav.

Additionally I believe the MY 2021 includes more options for remotely setting seat heating etc, and the eDrive facility for driving in European low emissions zones.

I'd like to make sure I get the UK MY 2021 - can anyone provide any information to help?
Automatic Speed Limit Assistant is not available in the US, but is available in the UK. You can code aSLA for regions where not supported. I use it ALL the time in the UK and it is a fantastic feature.

Remote start is not available in the UK on any BMW model.

Prohibitive undertaking is coming, though it's not top on my shopping list. There is also Traffic Light Assistant which will stop for red traffic lights.

Automatic distance adjustment is also coming. See the attached pic. I've not noticed much difference so possibly needs cloud activation and/or 07/2020 i-step/build which you would have with a MY2021.

Automatic Lane Change is already available and works perfectly. Adapt to route is also here and slows for junctions, roundabouts, traffic lights, stop signs etc.

The only Drive Assist Plus feature that the UK/EU is missing is the extended Traffic Jam Assistant, which allows indefinite hands off driving below 40mph on motorways (can't be coded).

Automatic 4 seat heating/cooling is not currently available but can be coded.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #117
wishman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 / 2016 991 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
Any chance the X5 I6 gets the upgraded B58 with 382hp?

I believe the 750i has the X5 m50i engine without being a part of the M performance line up.
Has there been any confirmation one way or another in terms of a possible engine update for 2021 X5 40i? I can't remember with the X3 when it was finally confirmed that it got the updated B58 engine.

Great deals on 2020 X5 40i right now and I'm ready to pull the trigger.
But if there is still a possibility of an engine update, then I'll probably wait out a little longer.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #118
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
Has there been any confirmation one way or another in terms of a possible engine update for 2021 X5 40i? I can't remember with the X3 when it was finally confirmed that it got the updated B58 engine.

Great deals on 2020 X5 40i right now and I'm ready to pull the trigger.
But if there is still a possibility of an engine update, then I'll probably wait out a little longer.
I'm not 100%, but IIRC the X3 update to the B58 was going from the 30i to the 40i (4 cylinder to 6 cylinder), and I don't think the X5 40i (also the B58) will get such a big change during it's lifetime...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #119
wishman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 / 2016 991 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
I'm not 100%, but IIRC the X3 update to the B58 was going from the 30i to the 40i (4 cylinder to 6 cylinder), and I don't think the X5 40i (also the B58) will get such a big change during it's lifetime...
According to this link, looks like initial X3 M40i in 2018 started with 355, but changes to B58 engine for 2020 model bumped it up to 385.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X3#Engines_2
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #120
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
According to this link, looks like initial X3 M40i in 2018 started with 355, but changes to B58 engine for 2020 model bumped it up to 385.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X3#Engines_2
Interesting, hadn't seen that! Sorry then, can't answer your question, I'm actually surprised that this update hasn't been announced as going in the G05 for 2021 if it was already in the X3 from this year....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #121
Ben_GK
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Night Vision Coming Back?

I just heard from my local dealer that NO 2021 models offer the Night Vision Assist option anymore. Anyone know whether this is just a COVID related issue, and if the feature will return? I know it's not a 'must-have' feature but looks really cool and was really hoping to spec it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #122
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

Hi Folks,
This morning I checked the status of my X5 and saw the "Today's the day: your BMW has entered the production queue." notification. VIN was also posted on the site!
Production schedule originally quoted Week 29 as the production build week so I'm happy to see that things got started a couple of weeks early.
So now it's officially confirmed: I'll be getting a 2020 with all the options I hoped for:

Mineral White Metallic exterior
Black Extended Merino Leather
Bowers & Wilkins sound system
Extended Shadowline Trim
Glass Controls
Htd Fr Seats Armrests / S Whl
Acoustic glass
Luggage-compartment package
M Sport Brakes with Blue Calip
Space-saver spare
Front massaging seats
Front ventilated seats
Multi-contour seats
Drivers Assistance Professional Package
Executive Package (includes the soft close doors option)
M Sport Package
2-axle air suspension
21" M wheel 741M w/perf rft
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner
Leather Dashboard

Some of you noted that there may be a chance that my order would have been cancelled for one reason or another, forcing me to get a 2021 X5 xDrive40i with many of the options I wanted no longer being available (for the 40i model)-- GLAD that didn't happen.

I hear there are a few remaining 2020 X5 build allocations still available if any of you are interested.

Cheers,
-Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltones View Post
When I spoke to my BMW rep he made it clear to me that what I was given was one of the last 2020 BMW X production allocations they had. When built, it won't be labeled a "2021" -- We both believe that this is why all the options available for 2020 were still 'in effect/applied'.

Not sure how many BMW dealers still have a 2020 BMW X production allocation. As I hear more I'll be sure to share here.
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
2016 M4 Coupe; 2008 Dinan S1 M5; 2006 530i; 1998 328i

Last edited by Cooltones; 06-26-2020 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Added additional order details
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #123
JJC01
Rep
Drives: BMW X535d, X5M50i, Audi S5Cab

I Am About A Week Behind You.

At what stage are you now?

Quote:
Hi Folks,
This morning I checked the status of my X5 and saw the "Today's the day: your BMW has entered the production queue." notification. VIN was also posted on the site!
Production schedule originally quoted Week 29 as the production build week so I'm happy to see that things got started a couple of weeks early.
So now it's officially confirmed: I'll be getting a 2020 with all the options I hoped for:

Extended Shadowline Trim
Glass Controls
Acoustic glass
Space-saver spare
Front massaging seats
Front ventilated seats
Multi-contour seats
M Sport Package
2-axle air suspension
Leather Dashboard

Some of you noted that there may be a chance that my order would have been cancelled for one reason or another, forcing me to get a 2021 X5 xDrive40i with many of the options I wanted no longer being available (for the 40i model)-- GLAD that didn't happen.

I hear there are a few remaining 2020 X5 build allocations still available if any of you are interested.

Cheers,
-Tony
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #124
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep

I've been hearing from others that the "Today's the day: your BMW has entered the production queue." status can be about 1-2 weeks. Well, given that the BMW NA automated phone "Check Vehicle Production Status" stated that my X5 is due to be completed by July 14th I'm expecting the build status to change and move forward within the next couple of days.

I'm sure BMW Spartanburg observed the July 4th holiday -- Given they projected a July 14th completion I have to believe they took into account holiday outages.

So your build is about a week behind mine? Did you also order a 2020 X5? Given you're in RI and I'm located in California I wonder if your X5 will actually reach the dealership before mine does.
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
Appreciate 1
JJC0114.00
      07-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #125
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I've been hearing from others that the "Today's the day: your BMW has entered the production queue." status can be about 1-2 weeks. Well, given that the BMW NA automated phone "Check Vehicle Production Status" stated that my X5 is due to be completed by July 14th I'm expecting the build status to start within the next couple of days.

I'm sure BMW Spartanburg observed the July 4th holiday -- Given they projected a July 14th completion I have to believe they took into account holiday outages.
Once the actual assembly starts it should only take a few hours. You will see the status change to Assembly started and then it should move quickly through the next steps. Most times QC goes quickly although some have been stuck in there for a few days.
Appreciate 2
Cooltones241.00
JJC0114.00
      07-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #126
JJC01
Rep
Drives: BMW X535d, X5M50i, Audi S5Cab

Quote:
I've been hearing from others that the "Today's the day: your BMW has entered the production queue." status can be about 1-2 weeks. Well, given that the BMW NA automated phone "Check Vehicle Production Status" stated that my X5 is due to be completed by July 14th I'm expecting the build status to change and move forward within the next couple of days.

So your build is about a week behind mine? Did you also order a 2020 X5? Given you're in RI and I'm located in California I wonder if your X5 will actually reach the dealership before mine does.
Based on a previous post of yours, I think my X5 is two weeks behind yours. My order date was 12MAR2020 and my projected production date is 20JUL/WK-30... Your comment RE the possibility of being in the production queue for 1-2 weeks makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      07-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #127
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Extended Shadowline Trim
Glass Controls
Acoustic glass
Space-saver spare
Front massaging seats
Front ventilated seats
Multi-contour seats
M Sport Package
2-axle air suspension
Leather Dashboard

Cheers,
-Tony
We have a nearly identical 2020 xDrive 40i build currently in process - same colors inside and out, most of same options minus ext shadowline (I like it, but wife didn't want it blacked out), B&W, acoustic glass, luggage compartment pkg and spare. We moved to "production begins" on July 1, where we still stand, and our production completion date is supposed to be July 19. Like you, I am glad that it appears we got ours in with all the options we wanted. This is for my wife, but the wait is tough!
Appreciate 2
Cooltones241.00
JJC0114.00
      07-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #128
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep

Great minds think alike, right?
Yes. As a few others who secured a 2020 X5 40i with the options available for 2020, but not for 2021 said: "Looks like we have a unicorn!"

I'm currently enjoying my F82 M4, and wanted to get an X5 (Read: Practical, Fun daily driver that I will never have to worry about hitting the lower front end of a concrete parking block, able to toss multiple golf clubs without folding the seats down...).

Totally get the "ext shadowline (I like it, but wife didn't want it blacked out)" comment. If this X5 were for my wife, she too made it clear she wouldn't want it. Soon though she'll be looking to get one of those Mercedes chassis Sprinter Vans equipped with the RV conversion kit, so at that time it'll be her choice of options, her decision.

For me, the first day of build status notification of "Production Begins" was June 26th, and today it still says "Production Begins"; however, it also says that the "production completion date is July 14th". Looks like I'm only a few days ahead of you but will certainly be sure to let you know when my build status changes to "Exterior Body Assembly Begins", or beyond.

Speaking of "unicorns", maybe we may also get that new iPhone Digital Key functionality? I hear that they will be offered in X5's and many other models that are manufactured in the Summer (aka: Starting July 1st).
Between the 2 of us, you probably have a better chance of getting that option, especially since your "Production Begins" date is officially July 1st.

Either way, I'm just GRATEFUL that we got the options we were hoping for.

Cheers,
-Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG1 View Post
We have a nearly identical 2020 xDrive 40i build currently in process - same colors inside and out, most of same options minus ext shadowline (I like it, but wife didn't want it blacked out), B&W, acoustic glass, luggage compartment pkg and spare. We moved to "production begins" on July 1, where we still stand, and our production completion date is supposed to be July 19. Like you, I am glad that it appears we got ours in with all the options we wanted. This is for my wife, but the wait is tough!
Appreciate 2
JJC0114.00
JTG160.00
      07-08-2020, 11:49 AM   #129
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Yeah, my wife's current vehicle is a Grand Cherokee SRT, which as you can probably expect, was something that I picked out. And I blacked out all the chrome trim, etc. myself, which she didn't object to, but probably wasn't a huge fan of either. So, while I think she liked the power, she probably won't really miss that vehicle much at all, and I think she'll love this X5.

I'm curious about the iPhone digital key functionality as well. I did see in another post that BMW changed it from specifically saying July 1 to just generically saying "summer", so I'm wondering if it really is July 1 or not. I'm not sure it's something I would use much, but would be nice to have the option, and something fun to play with and show people! I don't think my wife and I will be able to do it with our current phones anyway, we're still both using an iPhone X but will probably upgrade when the new models come out later this year.

Definitely keep me posted on your build progress!
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      07-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #130
handsomdave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m4

anyone have details on the acoustic glass being offered ?

i didn't see the code for that option to be included/ordered on a 2021 model.
      07-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #131
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomdave View Post

It is not listed on the 2021 pricing guide as standard or an option or in any package. Its either gone or an omission, we'll have to wait and see if it reappears once the 2021's are ready to be configured online.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #132
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomdave View Post

It is gone, per my SA it was removed because BMWNA felt the X5 was quiet enough.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0