07-19-2020, 01:32 AM   #155
tvasica
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD_Flyer View Post
Hey All -

Just picked her up yesterday and couldn't be happier so far. Definitely the best car I've ever had and looking forward to the next drive which I couldn't say about my old car.

Some things to note for those taking delivery soon:

• My car had a completion date of 7/10/20 but still came with the 03/2020 version of iDrive. Might be worth requesting the upgrade with your dealer if there's some time between arrival and delivery.
• My garage has a rolling code and the BMW video on setting this up did not work for me. I actually searched for the solution in this forum and found what I needed. Just a heads up.
• I still can't get the native Spotify app to work I can see it but in order to play music from my Spotify playlist; I have to use CarPlay
• This was mentioned in another thread but I have polarized Ray Bans which really lightens the view of the HUD. I've mitigated this issue somewhat by just brightening that setting

There's a ton more I'm learning but those are some quick items I've noticed in real world driving.

Either way, you're gonna love the new ride. Enjoy!
You see your HUD with polarized glasses?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #156
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvasica View Post
Quote:
Hey All -

Just picked her up yesterday and couldn't be happier so far. Definitely the best car I've ever had and looking forward to the next drive which I couldn't say about my old car.

• My car had a completion date of 7/10/20 but still came with the 03/2020 version of iDrive. Might be worth requesting the upgrade with your dealer if there's some time between arrival and delivery.
• My garage has a rolling code and the BMW video on setting this up did not work for me. I actually searched for the solution in this forum and found what I needed. Just a heads up.
• I still can't get the native Spotify app to work I can see it but in order to play music from my Spotify playlist; I have to use CarPlay
• This was mentioned in another thread but I have polarized Ray Bans which really lightens the view of the HUD. I've mitigated this issue somewhat by just brightening that setting

There's a ton more I'm learning but those are some quick items I've noticed in real world driving.

I don't. I don't see any HUD projection with polarised sunglasses.

The sunglasses I use to drive are not polarised. When I mistakenly put on others I wonder why my HUD is not working until I realise I am driving with the wrong glasses.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #157
ORD_Flyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvasica View Post
Quote:
Hey All -

I can see the HUD but it's faint. I also have to tilt my head somewhat to see it better. I can definitely see the use case of having different (non polarized) sunglasses just for driving but I'll likely make due for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #158
produhktiv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i First Edition

Garage List
2021 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2019 M850i  [0.00]
I did some research, and went back to Serengeti Drivers... used to use them WAY back in the day... have to admin they are still amazing! Just make sure you get the non-polarized version! These are the ones I ordered -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
      07-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #159
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

So, mine moved to Awaiting Carrier Assignment on July 18. Sales guy says the estimated arrival date at the dealer is July 23.

Any update on your timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltones View Post
UPDATE:
June 26th: "Production Begins" - BMW NA Automated Phone System provided an "Estimated Completion Date" of July 13th.
July 13th: It zipped from "Exterior Body Assembly, "In Paint Booth", to "Entering Assembly Line".
July 14th: "Quality Check" - Previous posts suggested that your vehicle can get stuck in Quality Check from 1 to 15+ days, and never really find out why. Some suggested vehicles on hold due to parts shortages.
July 16th: "Awaiting Carrier Assignment" - Nice surprise.

I know a few of you have your 2020 X5 going through a build right now (The "Last of the 2020's"). Would be curious to hear how your progress is doing.

Cheers,
-Tony
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #160
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

Yup! Just received an update today:
UPDATE:
June 26th: "Production Begins" - BMW NA Automated Phone System provided an "Estimated Completion Date" of July 13th.
July 13th: It zipped from "Exterior Body Assembly, "In Paint Booth", to "Entering Assembly Line".
July 14th: "Quality Check" - Previous posts suggested that your vehicle can get stuck in Quality Check from 1 to 15+ days, and never really find out why. Some suggested vehicles on hold due to parts shortages.
July 16th: "Awaiting Carrier Assignment" - Nice surprise.
July 20th: "Dispatched from Factory" - So it seems to have just sat at "Awaiting Carrier Assignment" for 4 days -- Maybe because mine completed the build just before the weekend and had to wait until this week to get dispatched?

Hopefully yours will move along more quickly.
Getting closer for both us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG1 View Post
So, mine moved to Awaiting Carrier Assignment on July 18. Sales guy says the estimated arrival date at the dealer is July 23.

Any update on your timing?
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
2016 M4 Coupe; 2008 Dinan S1 M5; 2006 530i; 1998 328i
Appreciate 1
JJC0114.00
      07-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #161
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep

7/18: Awaiting Carrier Assignment
7/23: Dispatched from Factory

Salesman says estimated arrival at the dealership here in DFW is 7/28.
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      07-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #162
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep

Looks like you might get your vehicle before I do as the train will have to cross a few more states before it gets to California. And the stop before it gets to my dealership is the VDC in Oxnard.

Curious: Do you know if your X5 will visit a Vehicle Distribution Center before arriving at your dealership, or is the VDC performed in South Carolina?
Getting close!

Quote:

2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)

Last edited by Cooltones; 07-24-2020 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
JTG160.00
      07-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #163
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like you might get your vehicle before I do as the train will have to cross a few more states before it gets to California. And the stop before it gets to my dealership is the VPC in Oxnard.

Curious: Do you know if your X5 will visit a Vehicle Processing Center before arriving at your dealership, or is the VPC performed in South Carolina?
Getting close!

Quote:

I'm afraid you've surpassed my extremely limited knowledge of the delivery process. No idea. Guess we wait and see, right?
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      07-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #164
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep

Well, this is interesting...

EDIT: Texted our sales guy, he said the website goes by the initial estimated timing, which can be off, so it's not actually at the dealership yet. Bummer.
Attached Images

Last edited by JTG1; 07-24-2020 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 1
JJC0114.00
      07-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #165
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep

Yup. I've heard this happening. A friend of mine who got the "Your car is at the dealership notification" even drove down to the dealership only to find out his M5 really wasn't there yet...

Regarding my earlier comment about Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC), I know that there is one VDC on the West Coast, which is in Oxnard, California. It's used for incoming BMWs (and MINIs) where they will repair and scratches/damages that may have occurred during transport. They also add additional options that the customer may have requested. iDrive updates can also take place I've heard.

Here's a link to an overview of the VDC on the West Coast:
https://bimmerlife.com/2018/08/11/a-...bution-center/

I understand that it's now just a matter of a couple of days before your X5 is actually in your hands. Looking forward to hearing the good news.

Cheers,
-Tony

Quote:
Well, this is interesting...

EDIT: Texted our sales guy, he said the website goes by the initial estimated timing, which can be off, so it's not actually at the dealership yet. Bummer.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #166
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for sharing, very interesting! I see there is a VDC in Galveston, TX:

https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=2605

So, I guess if they all stop at a VDC prior to arriving at the dealership, that likely would be the closest one to us in Dallas.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 05:48 PM   #167
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Yup. I've heard this happening. A friend of mine who got the "Your car is at the dealership notification" even drove down to the dealership only to find out his M5 really wasn't there yet...
That happened to me also. On a Saturday morning the status showed that it was at my dealer but it didn't get there until the following Wednesday evening.
Appreciate 3
Cooltones241.00
JTG160.00
JJC0114.00
      07-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #168
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
That happened to me also. On a Saturday morning the status showed that it was at my dealer but it didn't get there until the following Wednesday evening.
Maybe the fact that BMW provides these updates is a blessing and a curse. Since they are not totally accurate.

Kind of crazy that I'm this excited about a car for my wife! But I think this is only the second time ever that I've ordered a car.
Appreciate 2
TurtleBoy12885.00
JJC0114.00
      07-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #169
84illini
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
When will people be able to configure and order one?
I just ordered mine and have a production start date the week of 8-3!!
Appreciate 1
JTG160.00
      07-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #170
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84illini View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
When will people be able to configure and order one?
I just ordered mine and have a production start date the week of 8-3!!
Congrats! Yours will be MY2021 I assume?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #171
ORD_Flyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Sounds like a couple people here are really close to getting their deliveries which is awesome to hear. You're gonna love the new toy!

A couple more observations 1 week in. This is my first BMW (coming from Honda) so I'm very much a noob with luxury cars.

- I could not get Spotify (I have a premium account) to work using the code scanner. I was able to log into my Spotify account just fine but nothing would change on the screen in my car. However, manually logging into Spotify in iDrive did the trick. Might be a min or two but eventually I was able to see my Spotify history and playlists in iDrive directly
- My car was obviously super clean at delivery however, I could tell it wasn't waxed or anything. If you're not planning to put any protection on the car at delivery, you may want to wax as soon as you can to keep her pristine
- I ended up disabling CarPlay. IMHO the iDrive navigation maps looks more detailed than CarPlay. The HUD even displays which lanes during turn-by-turn. But now my texts aren't showing up so working through that
- Mentioned here as well but those M brakes do accumulate some brake dust. I'll need to plan a bit more frequent cleanings to keep them mint
- Sport mode is a blast. I could tell the suspension firms up and I was taking some ramps at 50mph with not a whole lot of body roll
- It was also mentioned in this forum that there isn't any rhyme or reason as to which tires come with your wheels at delivery. I stuck with the stock 20's (Chicago weather) and my car came with Pirellis. When pricing out the OEM tires, the Pirellis are actually more expensive than the comparable Bridgestones. Food for thought for value chasers
- My idrive tpms settings we're calibrated for a summer tire. So I had to change it to all-season/winter and drive a bit to recalibrate so the tire pressure is more accurate

This is getting quite long so will end here but enjoy the rides when they arrive!
Appreciate 2
Cooltones241.00
JTG160.00
      07-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #172
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

^ No need to disable CarPlay. You can use iDrive navigation with CarPlay active. Without it you won't be able to get your texts.
Appreciate 2
JTG160.00
      07-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #173
ORD_Flyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^ No need to disable CarPlay. You can use iDrive navigation with CarPlay active. Without it you won't be able to get your texts.
This is great, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #174
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was curious about this. So you could, for example, use CarPlay for music, but iDrive for Nav, if you wanted to?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #175
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I was curious about this. So you could, for example, use CarPlay for music, but iDrive for Nav, if you wanted to?
That is correct, they are separate functions. For example, I use iDrive for navigation, playing music I downloaded to the hard drive, Sirius, etc. and then I use CarPlay for texts, phone calls and to play podcasts.

You can also go back and forth and use the nav in either of them. I prefer the iDrive nav but now that Apple Maps nav shows in the HUD it a more integrated product.
Appreciate 2
JTG160.00
Cooltones241.00
      07-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #176
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Regarding my earlier comment about Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC), I know that there is one VDC on the West Coast, which is in Oxnard, California. It's used for incoming BMWs (and MINIs) where they will repair and scratches/damages that may have occurred during transport. They also add additional options that the customer may have requested. iDrive updates can also take place I've heard.
According to my CA, I have learned there is also a VDC somewhere in San Bernardino, which is located where the final stop is for the train bringing them in.
Appreciate 0