11-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Torned between winter tires vs A/S tires - 21inch 744

Hello All,
This may be a confusing title especially for someone staying in Arizona but please hear me out

I have the staggered 744 setup with 21in and performance run-flats. We got our vehicle in Feb 2020 this year. For all this time the performance run-flats have been doing very well, no issues.
Once snowball opens up, we generally go their almost every weekend and depending on weather it would be snow/ice/winter storms many a times. However we do come back to Phoenix after weekend so would be back to 50-60 weather around Dec-Jan and 60-70 during Feb-Mar. Weekends would be snow/ice/winter advisory weather.

I can't see my self changing tires to winter tires for every weekend trip and at the same time if I just say with winter tires from Dec-Feb, we will be above 45F during weekdays.

My question is 1) how bad is driving using winter setup in 50-60-70F weather in Phoenix during weekdays ? and 2) should I just do A/S from Dec to Feb.

The only A/S setup I can see is PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE A/S which are nonRF. I have seen some not so very good reviews about this tires and hence I was just contemplating the winter tires.

Any comments or suggestions you can provide will be helpful.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Hello All,
This may be a confusing title especially for someone staying in Arizona but please hear me out

I have the staggered 744 setup with 21in and performance run-flats. We got our vehicle in Feb 2020 this year. For all this time the performance run-flats have been doing very well, no issues.
Once snowball opens up, we generally go their almost every weekend and depending on weather it would be snow/ice/winter storms many a times. However we do come back to Phoenix after weekend so would be back to 50-60 weather around Dec-Jan and 60-70 during Feb-Mar. Weekends would be snow/ice/winter advisory weather.

I can't see my self changing tires to winter tires for every weekend trip and at the same time if I just say with winter tires from Dec-Feb, we will be above 45F during weekdays.

My question is 1) how bad is driving using winter setup in 50-60-70F weather in Phoenix during weekdays ? and 2) should I just do A/S from Dec to Feb.

The only A/S setup I can see is PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE A/S which are nonRF. I have seen some not so very good reviews about this tires and hence I was just contemplating the winter tires.

Any comments or suggestions you can provide will be helpful.
Thanks
In my opinion an all-weather tire (not to be confused with the all seasons, which are really just three season tires) is the best way to go in your situation. You can get Michelin Crossclimate or Vredstein Quatrac Pro (both Y rated tires that have the mountain/snowflake symbol). Nokian WR G4 is the same class of tire although it is more geared towards snow and ice than dry and warm performance like the other two. All these tires available for the 20-inch square setup but I don't know if any of them is available for the staggered 21 inch setup. It might be wise to invest in a set of 20 inch wheels in your situation as it will open up more tire options and provide more sidewall cushioning when driving on bumpier winter roads...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Torned between winter tires vs A/S tires - 21inch 744

I see. Thanks for the suggestion. I am not yet considering a whole wheel-tire setup but if I get there, your post is helpful.

Do you have any advice on keeping the winter tires ( Michelin pilot sport 5 perf winter or Pirelli scorpion winters) during winter season while in Phoenix (50-70F ambient temperatures) during weekdays. That way I can seasonally change the winters with stock performance summers after I know I did my last snow ski trip up north.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
I see. Thanks for the suggestion. I am not yet considering a whole wheel-tire setup but if I get there, your post is helpful.

Do you have any advice on keeping the winter tires ( Michelin pilot sport 5 perf winter or Pirelli scorpion winters) during winter season while in Phoenix (50-70F ambient temperatures) during weekdays. That way I can seasonally change the winters with stock performance summers after I know I did my last snow ski trip up north.
Your steering won't feel as direct and braking distance in the dry will be a little longer but nothing dangerous or unsafe about using them in winter months. I have run Blizzaks, which are much more hardcore winter tire with way more compromise on dry braking and steering, here in CO, where we also get sunny and 70+ degree days occasionally. Even the Blizzaks were fine so the Pilot Alpin PA5s or Pirelli Scorpions will be perfectly ok to use...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Tough situation frankly. You can run winter tires, but they will wear a lot faster and reduce fuel economy when it is hot. At the same time, all seasons suck for snow and ice.

In your situation I would likely run all seasons but replace them when they get to 2/3 worn so that there is still a lot of tread left. I would also avoid driving in heavy snowfalls or icy conditions until they have cleared the roads properly. All seasons should be fine on clean pavement in the winter, though please don’t drive as quickly and add a lot of extra braking time: it’s only when there is snow or ice on the pavement that they start sucking big time.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

I think in one of the other threads, it said there are all season tyres, and all weather tyres. Why not get the all weather tyres. They have the 3 peak mountain symbol on them to show they have snow and ice capability.
Most all seasons do not. I put a set of General Grabber AT3 on mine in the winter. Sure they are not the most premium tyre, and a lot off trucks have them, but you get the best of all worlds. Snow and ice performance, decent in dry and wet, and can be used into the warm weather before you put the summers back on. Oh, And you can go Off-road with them.
Appreciate 0