BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
egar2099
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05

Exclamation Paint chipping

I've been a little disappointed in the small paint chipping I've seen on the hood. I assume this wouldn't be covered under warranty?

View post on imgur.com
(hood)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
CMBX23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' 540i M Sport

Garage List
2020 540i  [0.00]
I highly doubt it would be covered under warranty unless you received the car like that and noted it upon acceptance. Other than that PPF
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

That's a nasty chip too, looks like its gone down to the primer. I'd get some touch-up paint on that real quick.

If you've been driving your car, then it won't be covered under Warranty.

I feel for you, good luck with that one..

For me that's another reason I don't choose white, dints and chips really show up.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:24 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
That's a nasty chip too, looks like its gone down to the primer. I'd get some touch-up paint on that real quick.

If you've been driving your car, then it won't be covered under Warranty.

I feel for you, good luck with that one..

For me that's another reason I don't choose white, dints and chips really show up.
Hood is aluminum, not a huge deal if OP doesn't jump on it right away.
      02-17-2020, 11:30 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by egar2099 View Post
I've been a little disappointed in the small paint chipping I've seen on the hood. I assume this wouldn't be covered under warranty?

View post on imgur.com
(hood)
No, won't be covered unless you have an abnormal chipping issue. Stone chips are an unfortunate reality. As another poster mentioned, PPF will provide higher chip resistance, but at a cost.

Check out Dr. Colorchip.
      02-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

We're going through a bit of an ordeal right now...

After 10 months we observed that our 2019 Mineral White X5 has an alarming number of chips on the hood, more than the 2011 MDX we traded for it.

Disappointed in the quality of the paint but figuring BMW would be a dead end (they'd say chips happen and we can't prove the conditions we drove through were or weren't normal), we opted for Xpel PPF.

The mineral white touch up paint I purchased from BMW and gave the installer is about 3 shades brighter than the car and has has almost no metallic in it!

Now we have bright white touch-ups underneath our Xpel. My dealer agrees the touch up paint seems like an awful match and it elevating it to BMW. The Xpel installer is trying to work with us.

All of this because the paint on the hood of the X5 is poor quality.

Last edited by gofast182; 02-18-2020 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #7
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
All of this because BMW paint on the hood of the X5 is poor quality.
Is it because of poor quality, or just the design and angle of the hood makes it more conducive to chips?

My F15 X5 suffered from the same, and after 4 years had a small number of chips on the hood - what you would expect of 4 years on the road.

I've only had my G05 for 6 months, and already have a couple of very (very..) small chips on the hood - so I am starting to question whether the design/height is just perfect for getting chips?
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41905.00
      02-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Recently I visited Munich BMW factory and found out they now do sadly a new way of painting @ all of their factory's. So before typical paint was hardened twice a method of paint dry and paint again. Now they paint on top of wet paint this makes the paint much softer. Sad but it does reduce cost and time for them to produce vehicles. I been working on putting together a re-cap of my trip but thought I'd put this out there, I was bummed to see the process they use today. In my post hope this weekend I'll have more detail on why this is softer method and more cool stuff.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

egar2099 this post couldn't have come at a better time. I washed my vehicle over the weekend, and noticed a good number of chips. I am under 6,000 miles and don't do much driving on the highway/interstate. With local driving 99% of the time, I would not expect a bunch of chips...let alone the ones down to the primer. I am disappointed in this, but know it'll get blamed as "normal conditions". It's not...my other non-BMW vehicle, which goes on the highway, through construction sites, and gets pretty darn close to other vehicles (gotta drive aggressively on I95!)...no chips like this. I might see more of a "nick" where you can see if if you wash, but have trouble finding it again. Not with this vehicle.

At the end of the day, it's cosmetic, so I'll try to suck it up and touch-up the spots. I've become increasingly interested in going back to a truck after this vehicle. I have a feeling my X5 will look like it has the chicken pox with all these touch ups in another year. I feel your pain brotha!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #10
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Damn, I had pretty much decided to not do PPF because of some of the pitfalls, ie yellowing, not able to do repair, etc. I guess every time one of these threads start up I’ll get nervous and read with enthusiasm.

As mentioned above, not only are the paint systems used now are waterborne instead of solvent based but they don’t have multi-stage cure regimens. This no doubt has resulted in a less durable paint film.
Not much we can do about it other than a PPF application.

That said, those of you that have seen chips, could you say if there is a particular location with higher chip density?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Recently I visited Munich BMW factory and found out they now do sadly a new way of painting @ all of their factory's. So before typical paint was hardened twice a method of paint dry and paint again. Now they paint on top of wet paint this makes the paint much softer. Sad but it does reduce cost and time for them to produce vehicles. I been working on putting together a re-cap of my trip but thought I'd put this out there, I was bummed to see the process they use today. In my post hope this weekend I'll have more detail on why this is softer method and more cool stuff.
Tenac,
We have to wait till this weekend??? You're killing us man, killing us!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Tenac,
We have to wait till this weekend??? You're killing us man, killing us!
I'll try sooner but work is nutz right now. LOL Sadly no pics of the factory, wasn't allowed.....
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I'll try sooner but work is nutz right now. LOL Sadly no pics of the factory, wasn't allowed.....
Ha ha ha, only joking, well, sorta :-) I'll be off line for a bit starting this weekend, will catch up when back home. I've never been allowed to take pix in any of the car factories I've been in. I'd be interested in knowing if they are depending on the clear coat to provide the protection that two stage paint used to give and if you were able to find out how thick the clear coat is. Ok, will wait for your post...thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #14
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Main reason we got PPF, only down side is, it's pretty pricey. Better than getting these paint chip.

Honestly, can you really blame BMW for the quality of paint??? If a rock hit your car hard enough and/or at the perfect angle, your paint will chip regardless of quality of paint. Its just a matter of time any vehicle including mine with PPF will get paint chips.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #15
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

I’ve found the paint on our 2019 X5 (Mineral White) to be the worst of any car I’ve owned. We routinely pick up chips on the hood, starting almost immediately, and now have one on the trunk! The touch up paint is terrible, too. Quite disappointing; I do not have similar issues on my 2018 540 and have not experienced anything like this on any of the 20 or so other cars I’ve owned.

I’ve not for a minute imagined any of this would be covered by warranty.
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #16
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Main reason we got PPF, only down side is, it's pretty pricey. Better than getting these paint chip.

Honestly, can you really blame BMW for the quality of paint??? If a rock hit your car hard enough and/or at the perfect angle, your paint will chip regardless of quality of paint. Its just a matter of time any vehicle including mine with PPF will get paint chips.
Right you are, the same goes for rock chips on your windshield. What I like though is to have the clearcoat thick enough so I can polish out light blemishes, scratches, etc without going through it and into the paint. I recall when I had a '76 Triumph TR6, the paint was quite faded when I bought it so I started polishing it with a random orbital and was amazed at how quickly my pad turned green....super soft paint without clearcoat...my hand waxing pad would also turn a little green if I pressed too hard - ugh.

Paint has come a long way since then and I hope it never returns to that level again. I had a 2003 330i, dark blue, that I parked under and street light at work one sunny summer day and when I went to it after work, it appears a large flock of birds that were sitting on the street light all took of at once and pooped blueberry pies on my paint. It had baked in the sun all day while I was working. By the time I got home and washed it, the acid had already etched the clearcoat, must have been around a dozen spots. I was able to get them completely out with my polisher but it took quite a while of nervous time consuming effort and I kept checking my pad for blue. Never saw any so the clearcoat took the hit.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #17
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
I’ve found the paint on our 2019 X5 (Mineral White) to be the worst of any car I’ve owned. We routinely pick up chips on the hood, starting almost immediately, and now have one on the trunk! The touch up paint is terrible, too. Quite disappointing; I do not have similar issues on my 2018 540 and have not experienced anything like this on any of the 20 or so other cars I’ve owned.

I’ve not for a minute imagined any of this would be covered by warranty.
dont know it's an apple to apple comparison since all your cars was driven at different routes/time. It's simply bad luck that your 2019 take more rock hits. I driven many hondas prior and I've received quite a few paint chip on them, but very minimal in all our BMWs, I dont blame paint quality or anything, just simply bad luck

btw, we have mineral white on our as well. We live in Arizona, which is known to have extremely high rocks on our highways, and we havent seen any damage on ours. We do have full front ppf, but the rest of the paint is still paint chip free (*knock on wood)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #18
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
All of this because BMW paint on the hood of the X5 is poor quality.
Is it because of poor quality, or just the design and angle of the hood makes it more conducive to chips?

My F15 X5 suffered from the same, and after 4 years had a small number of chips on the hood - what you would expect of 4 years on the road.

I've only had my G05 for 6 months, and already have a couple of very (very..) small chips on the hood - so I am starting to question whether the design/height is just perfect for getting chips?
Design vs quality. My '19 x3m 40i was brutal for good chips. Learned a lesson and PPF'd the entire hood, bumper, headlights, mirrors etc when I took delivery of my '20 x3MC...notice the difference after 10k kms...
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #19
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

My car, also Mineral White, is less than two months old and it has three small chips on the hood. Way more fragile than any other car I have owned. A really nice color and really nice car, but still
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #20
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Everyone becomes a paint expert because their cars have paint chips, lol
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #21
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I am honestly impressed with the durability of my Carbon Black paint on my X5.
I have two long road trips across the Eastern USA in the winter time and my hood only has a few micro chips I can easily make disappear. I was just doing damage assessment on Sunday with a wash/detail from this past trip and I am very happy with the limited chips I found. Considering the high rate of speed and road conditions I thought there would be more. My windshield has maybe more micro chips than the front/hood of my X5. I have touched up chips last year and I can make them totally disappear with touch-up paint and proper buffing. It becomes a game of “Find the chip” when I am done. Paint chips are a fact of driving and not the end of the world.

Touch-up paint tips:
Tri coat paint like mineral white are alway the most difficult to match but this metallic Carbon Black is just as tough. You must constantly shake up the OEM touchup paint to have the proper metallic flake suspended in each drop you apply to the chip. Rookies do not do this and it is why you can find the repaired chips because the paint you’re applying doesn’t have the proper amount of metallic flake or pearl coat (mineral white) suspended in it. You also have to build it up in layers higher than the paint over several coats. Then when dry, you must buff and polish the paint pimple down to the same level as the factory paint. Most people don’t want to put the time in to do a proper repair and as why touchups look like crap. Dr Colorchip is pretty good stuff and matches oem well. You still have to build it up with several passes if you want a flawless finish instead of a crater with matching paint in it with one pass.

There are 2 paint chips that were repaired in this pic.

Another pic of the repaired chips.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-18-2020 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 4
      02-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #22
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I am honestly impressed with the durability of my Carbon Black paint on my X5.
I have two long road trips across the Eastern USA in the winter time and my hood only has a few micro chips I can easily make disappear. I was just doing damage assessment on Sunday with a wash/detail from this past trip and I am very happy with the limited chips I found. Considering the high rate of speed and road conditions I thought there would be more. My windshield has maybe more micro chips than the front/hood of my X5. I have touched up chips last year and I can make them totally disappear with touch-up paint and proper buffing. It becomes a game of “Find the chip” when I am done. Paint chips are a fact of driving and not the end of the world.

Touch-up paint tips:
Tri coat paint like mineral white are alway the most difficult to match but this metallic Carbon Black is just as tough. You must constantly shake up the OEM touchup paint to have the proper metallic flake suspended in each drop you apply to the chip. Rookies do not do this and it is why you can find the repaired chips because the paint you’re applying doesn’t have the proper amount of metallic flake or pearl coat (mineral white) suspended in it. You also have to build it up in layers higher than the paint over several coats. Then when dry, you must buff and polish the paint pimple down to the same level as the factory paint. Most people don’t want to put the time in to do a proper repair and as why touchups look like crap. Dr Colorchip is pretty good stuff and matches oem well. You still have to build it up with several passes if you want a flawless finish instead of a crater with matching paint in it with one pass.
about time the paint expert speaks up! thanks for the tips!!
Appreciate 0