02-20-2020, 03:02 AM   #1
c_hri_s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Fuel Filler door sticking

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I took my car in because my fuel filler door was sticking (the metal door). I got emailed a video from the technician that said, yeah - it's a known issue. And then got my car delivered back to me with the issue still present.

Is this really the case or do I need to send it back and shout a bit?

Here's the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn7wfb1lm7kbr50/BMW.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by c_hri_s; 02-20-2020 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:17 AM   #2
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
After filling my car yesterday I noticed the hinge can twist a bit if you push the door close at one of the corners rather than in the middle. Made a mental note to be careful opening and closing.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Yeh mine sticks as well. Actually i dont think it even fits properly. Might get them to look at it when it goes in for first service in about 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Thought it was just me. You really need to hit it at the right location. As mentioned above, I think the portion of the door closest to the front of the vehicle is no flush. The bottom right seems way off. I thought it was me forgetting to unlock!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #5
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Thought it was just me. You really need to hit it at the right location. As mentioned above, I think the portion of the door closest to the front of the vehicle is no flush. The bottom right seems way off. I thought it was me forgetting to unlock!
It struck me that the spring opening the door is stronger than the hinge holding the door.

If you press the top left corner to open, the bottom left corner swings out more than the top as the hinge twists. I'm going to press the middle left section of the door in the future to see if that resolves.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

RVAGuy it's just another minor thing. Thankfully, BMW still uses a filler cap instead of the anti-siphon ones. I noticed on the anti-siphon ones, the doors were rock solid and opened/closed in any circumstance.

This and the closure of the rear doors are blah. Thankfully, I use the driver's door 100% of the time, so I hear that space door like thud.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
RVAGuy it's just another minor thing. Thankfully, BMW still uses a filler cap instead of the anti-siphon ones. I noticed on the anti-siphon ones, the doors were rock solid and opened/closed in any circumstance.

This and the closure of the rear doors are blah. Thankfully, I use the driver's door 100% of the time, so I hear that space door like thud.
I'm not familiar with a rear door issue as I rarely use other than when cleaning the car and both have soft close doors, which we love.

I'm concerned that the casual observer may misinterpret our "nitpicking" about fuel doors, wrinkles, software, dings etc. as complaints. We don't spend much energy boasting how much we ABSOLUTELY LOVE the power, handling and luxury feel the vehicle offers. After three weeks since delivery we're very pleased with our selection and appreciative of the assistance this forum offers making the experience that much more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
I'm not familiar with a rear door issue as I rarely use other than when cleaning the car and both have soft close doors, which we love.

I'm concerned that the casual observer may misinterpret our "nitpicking" about fuel doors, wrinkles, software, dings etc. as complaints. We don't spend much energy boasting how much we ABSOLUTELY LOVE the power, handling and luxury feel the vehicle offers. After three weeks since delivery we're very pleased with our selection and appreciative of the assistance this forum offers making the experience that much more enjoyable.

Agreed. I love the vehicle, but like to point out stuff to make sure I am not going crazy. This forum doesn't help either!
Appreciate 0