BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Forged wheel recommendations

Anyone have any recommendations for 21" or 22" forged wheels either 1 piece or 2 piece? I know BC forged is an option but seeing if there are any relatively cheaper options without losing quality and safety. Any suggestions, recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Also, I haven't looked into the tire options for 21" or 22" so if anyone knows about the variety options for both sizes then that would also help. I believe 21" is a good middle ground for availability of wheels like conti super sport and Michelin pilot sport AS. I like aggressive sporty tires in non RFT's
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 01:04 PM   #2
POOPCORN
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Rohana, Vossen.. I have a set of 20inch MRR NES-MS6. two summers now, still standing.Name:  1.PNG
Views: 590
Size:  377.5 KB.

Originally I was looking for HRE FF10. And I would like to stay with 20inch because of riding comfort. But HRE does not recommend using 20 inch FF on X5 due to load rating.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 08:06 PM   #3
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOPCORN View Post
Rohana, Vossen.. I have a set of 20inch MRR NES-MS6. two summers now, still standing.Attachment 2896168.

Originally I was looking for HRE FF10. And I would like to stay with 20inch because of riding comfort. But HRE does not recommend using 20 inch FF on X5 due to load rating.
Thanks for this man. I'll look into that. I also came across Rusch and I am also going to hit up Savini as I have put them on my Benz and love them.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 11:59 AM   #4
POOPCORN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Thanks for this man. I'll look into that. I also came across Rusch and I am also going to hit up Savini as I have put them on my Benz and love them.
Savini is pretty legit. But Rusch, I am not sure if they are TUV/VIA/JWL Certified... I think someone mentioned Rusch in the forum that they are custom made from China, which I am a little skeptical about the quality control. For mid size SUV like X5, I would prefer to spend a little more and get something safer.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 03:54 PM   #5
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Savini is pretty legit. But Rusch, I am not sure if they are TUV/VIA/JWL Certified... I think someone mentioned Rusch in the forum that they are custom made from China, which I am a little skeptical about the quality control. For mid size SUV like X5, I would prefer to spend a little more and get something safer.
Yeah I am going to look into all of these options and see what works best for the car in terms of safety as well as looks.

Anyone has any recommendations for width for fronts and rears at 21" wheels? I prefer a aggressive look. I am thinking of 10.5 in the front and 11.5 in the rear. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 06:27 AM   #6
x427x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
how about forged wheel companies as Brixton, Velos, AG etc?
Do they have equipment to get real JWL VIA certificates? this JWL VIA equipment is very high price and needs big production volumes. not many companies which make custom wheels per order can afford it.

Custom forged wheels companies as Brixton, Rusch etc have Finite Element Analysis (FEA) which is taking into account curb weight, dynamic cornering fatigue, dynamic radial fatigue and simulated impact testing according to SAE, JWL and VIA standards

Please check the website how the wheels are made and how they are checked for quality standards

https://www.ruschwheels.com/manufacturing
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 02:09 AM   #7
POOPCORN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x427x View Post
how about forged wheel companies as Brixton, Velos, AG etc?
Do they have equipment to get real JWL VIA certificates? this JWL VIA equipment is very high price and needs big production volumes. not many companies which make custom wheels per order can afford it.

Custom forged wheels companies as Brixton, Rusch etc have Finite Element Analysis (FEA) which is taking into account curb weight, dynamic cornering fatigue, dynamic radial fatigue and simulated impact testing according to SAE, JWL and VIA standards

Please check the website how the wheels are made and how they are checked for quality standards

https://www.ruschwheels.com/manufacturing
Oh Man, Brixton is at another level here. I've never researched a lot on the Velo, just checked their design(not knowing their price range, but I would guess is it at 6K+), they look kinda similar to Vossen. (No offense here, the entire wheel industry's design is alike due to safety/engineering...).

As for AG, not considering their cast line for sure, and forged line may be another option, that being said, I guess contact the manufacturer to get some load rating on sizes and where they acctually manufacture the wheels.

Like I said before, I would look for something else before nailing down a deal with Rusch. If their price is pretty close to other big brands, I would rather go with the big brands.

OP is looking for something more cost-effective. I would think any legit wheel companies should have some FEA analysis. Otherwise, they are in the wrong industry.

At the end of the day, If Rusch is the way to go, then go ahead. It is your car, you do whatever makes you happy.

Last edited by POOPCORN; 06-12-2022 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 06:17 AM   #8
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Forged wheels are an expensive luxury. It’s your money, but I wouldn’t spend this much on an SUV wheel. If it were a 911, ok, but HRE or Vossen Flow Form wheels would be a good alternative, albeit still expensive.
Appreciate 0