BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
SpeedandPower
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

2021 X5 M50i Order Error

Hi all,

Just ordered a new M50i. Initially there was some confusion, the dealership added 2 axle air suspension instead of the dynamic handling package with the M suspension included. Because of that, we had to adjust to the order. Unfortunately, in that swap, the red calipers that I prefer fell off. I just got the VIN to track it's progress, which is "Production Begins". Now the dealership is telling me they cannot be changed in production and it would be too cost prohibitive to change them on arrival at the dealership, and it would be easiest to have them painted at the dealership for $200 on my dime. I am pretty upset. I know this is frankly small potatoes but I am buying a near $90k car and want it to be exactly what I want. What do you guys recommend I do? Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
cthomp88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition - BSM

If it was their mistake, I'd think they should help and at least offer to have them painted?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

If you don't care for the added brake performance and just want red calipers for the looks (nothing wrong with this) then painting is definitely the easiest option.

That said, BMW screwed up (whether it was the dealer or the brand) and it's their responsibility to fix it. I'd say $200 out of the dealer's pocket to keep a customer happy would be a no-brainer for them.

If they refuse and won't budge, I'd just walk on the car. You'll have to wait longer by going to another dealer and reordering but at that point I'd say it's more about the principle
      01-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
If you don't care for the added brake performance and just want red calipers for the looks (nothing wrong with this) then painting is definitely the easiest option.
The performance of the red and blue calipers are the same.
      01-15-2021, 03:13 PM   #5
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedandPower View Post
Hi all,

Just ordered a new M50i. Initially there was some confusion, the dealership added 2 axle air suspension instead of the dynamic handling package with the M suspension included. Because of that, we had to adjust to the order. Unfortunately, in that swap, the red calipers that I prefer fell off. I just got the VIN to track it's progress, which is "Production Begins". Now the dealership is telling me they cannot be changed in production and it would be too cost prohibitive to change them on arrival at the dealership, and it would be easiest to have them painted at the dealership for $200 on my dime. I am pretty upset. I know this is frankly small potatoes but I am buying a near $90k car and want it to be exactly what I want. What do you guys recommend I do? Any advice is appreciated.
I'd go with the repaint option , dealer's courtesy..

There are the larger drilled M performance brakes (as part of the BMW M performance parts) which can be added at a later stage if you dig both looks and added performance

Otherwise stick to your guns .. it's gonna be alright 😊
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #6
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
The performance of the red and blue calipers are the same.
That's right. I don't know why I was thinking red calipered M brakes vs standard. Totally forgot about the blues lol
      01-20-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I agree. Dealer screwed up the order. It should be a no brainer for them to eat the cost of painting. Especially if it's only $200.
Appreciate 0