BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-12-2024, 12:06 PM   #45
Daedalus0101101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

The lack of buttons probably will not be the sole decision if I have a MY > 2024 or not in the future. If the controls are intuitive and actually function, then it won't be a complete stopping factor. There are things about the >24 X5s that I just do not like. I'm not sure if I will limit myself to just the SAVs or not, but currently I like them better than the sedans although if I got one it would be a G30 at this point.
      04-12-2024, 12:32 PM   #46
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

People who think voice control is the answer clearly don’t need to make an adjustment when on a telephone call or when having a conversation with a passenger or when the kids are throwing a fit, or if the windows are open….

Voice control is the answer to nothing in my experience, unless I’m on my own in the ‘perfect conditions’ then it works well, oh and asking the car to eject the passenger is amusing as a novelty
Appreciate 7
LDT1565.00
Rob_G771157.00
crabman242.50
LuckyBrand1348.50
Ibiza3612.50
tooloud10780.00
1Boxer34.50
      04-12-2024, 01:07 PM   #47
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTGBMW View Post
I don't miss the buttons at all. Almost anything that you want to do can be controlled by voice commands.
I have used the voice controls A LOT for seat heating, steering heating etc. I have to say I would still prefer buttons. I find using voice commands for the same things over and over to be rather tedious.

Rob
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1348.50
spoodle174.00
      04-12-2024, 01:14 PM   #48
dwwStL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
People who think voice control is the answer clearly don’t need to make an adjustment when on a telephone call or when having a conversation with a passenger or when the kids are throwing a fit, or if the windows are open….
Nothing is perfect, but the perfect doesn't have to be the enemy of the good. Good, bad or indifferent, the industry wide move to electronic controls is the future, for many reasons including personal preference. Most people are at least fine with this, many of whom have grown up with an iPad and smartphone in their hand. I'm somewhere between liking it and indifferent. I was fine with my 2021 X5 controls. My better half, who is younger prefers the 2024. The more I use it, the more I like it, but mostly I just don't want to spend the energy tilting at windmills and getting upset because things are changing or don't stay the same.
      04-12-2024, 03:17 PM   #49
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
50e is at the dealer for a software update. I got a BMW 2 active tourer for the moment. Besides that is a hideous car it has no idrive controller anymore. This sucks big time.
The front wheel drive BMW badged mini?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 07:52 PM   #50
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

This is my 3rd mostly screen with few buttons car and I've got a couple observations...

The first two; they both added some buttons back at their refresh. Most said they wouldn't, but they did. More accurately; the latest was an S580, it hasn't actually got the buttons back yet, it has however been announced for the refresh in MY26. The talking heads made sure everyone knew that they had been heard as the reason for the change.

Agree on the much ado about not much viewpoint. For me the middle bear is the best approach. I want a volume, seat heating, cooling, heated wheel, the cruise buttons, track changing, essentially the things I use frequently on every drive. It's not so many buttons and most can go on the wheel. For me they add a few back in and I'm good.

I like voice, it can be problematic in some situations but it's a nice add that gives you options.

The layout of the GUI is poor; MBUX is significantly easier to use with their layout logic. One menu dive and you know right where to go next time, it all makes sense even if you don't love it. The scrolling page of icons in 8.5 reminds me of a ten year old cell phone drawer; it isn't any more likeable in 2024.

All in, I'm fine with it, a few more buttons and clean up the GUI and I'd be quite positive. Except for one thing: Whoever decided to move the ACC distance control off the wheel, and every supervisor that approved it, should be fired. And I'm not talking two weeks, I'm talking goons called in to drag them from their desks, and out of the building, while hitting their heads on every door jamb and desk corner on the way. Once they're tossed to the street an XM should be standing by to run them over, and then back up and run them over in reverse, just to be sure.
Appreciate 3
      04-12-2024, 07:54 PM   #51
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I use my present buttons every time I get in the car. Would miss those quite a bit
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 09:03 PM   #52
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 SO/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
This is my 3rd mostly screen with few buttons car and I've got a couple observations...

The first two; they both added some buttons back at their refresh. Most said they wouldn't, but they did. More accurately; the latest was an S580, it hasn't actually got the buttons back yet, it has however been announced for the refresh in MY26. The talking heads made sure everyone knew that they had been heard as the reason for the change.

Agree on the much ado about not much viewpoint. For me the middle bear is the best approach. I want a volume, seat heating, cooling, heated wheel, the cruise buttons, track changing, essentially the things I use frequently on every drive. It's not so many buttons and most can go on the wheel. For me they add a few back in and I'm good.

I like voice, it can be problematic in some situations but it's a nice add that gives you options.

The layout of the GUI is poor; MBUX is significantly easier to use with their layout logic. One menu dive and you know right where to go next time, it all makes sense even if you don't love it. The scrolling page of icons in 8.5 reminds me of a ten year old cell phone drawer; it isn't any more likeable in 2024.

All in, I'm fine with it, a few more buttons and clean up the GUI and I'd be quite positive. Except for one thing: Whoever decided to move the ACC distance control off the wheel, and every supervisor that approved it, should be fired. And I'm not talking two weeks, I'm talking goons called in to drag them from their desks, and out of the building, while hitting their heads on every door jamb and [...]
Do agree on the distance control. No sense at all on that one.
2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1348.50
Cityman185.50
      04-13-2024, 04:06 AM   #53
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
I use my present buttons every time I get in the car. Would miss those quite a bit
LCI has preset buttons on screen, just push the idrive controller up and 8 presets appear on centre screen with what is saved on them, can then be selected by touch or with controller. They are actually better than the preset buttons on pre lci as you don't have to look down to select and remember what is on each button.
Appreciate 4
LuckyBrand1348.50
mscot193.00
RNorb239.00
      04-13-2024, 05:30 AM   #54
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I have used the voice controls A LOT for seat heating, steering heating etc. I have to say I would still prefer buttons. I find using voice commands for the same things over and over to be rather tedious.

Rob
100%.

And even if BMW invested in a proper voice technology like Siri, that actually worked, I'd still find it awkward to interrupt a conversation with someone in the car to say "Hey BMW, put my heated seat on high."

One need not look much further than the research that's likely already been done for them; I'd argue most people only prefer to use voice-to-type technologies in private, save the occasional self-involved personality out there who feels the need to publicize the inner workings of their life, for whatever reason.

Voice assistant is a convenient redundancy, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 05:58 AM   #55
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
100%.

And even if BMW invested in a proper voice technology like Siri, that actually worked, I'd still find it awkward to interrupt a conversation with someone in the car to say "Hey BMW, put my heated seat on high."

One need not look much further than the research that's likely already been done for them; I'd argue most people only prefer to use voice-to-type technologies in private, save the occasional self-involved personality out there who feels the need to publicize the inner workings of their life, for whatever reason.

Voice assistant is a convenient redundancy, IMHO.
I would agree but unfortunately that is not the way BMW seems to be looking at it. I read an interview with BMW Head of Design and they are all in on touchscreens and especially voice commands. I'm hoping that eventually reality/practicality sets in but I doubt that it will happen for the G65. Its interior may not be as sparse as a Neue Klasse but may be closer to that than the pre-LCI.
Attached Images

04-13-2024, 06:11 AM   #56
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
LCI has preset buttons on screen, just push the idrive controller up and 8 presets appear on centre screen with what is saved on them, can then be selected by touch or with controller. They are actually better than the preset buttons on pre lci as you don't have to look down to select and remember what is on each button.
Disagree. You don’t have to take your eyes off the road at all with pre-lci physical/touch buttons. I can touch any of the buttons with muscle memory without taking my eyes off the road. Also if there is any question you can simply drape your fingers across the buttons and their assigned function appears on the screen.

The buttons that could have been better in my opinion are the ones for driving mode, parking camera, etc - it’s basically a sheet of glass with no physical delineation.

Seems like they came up with an ok solution but suspect most would prefer the older buttons.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 06:29 AM   #57
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Disagree. You don’t have to take your eyes off the road at all with pre-lci physical/touch buttons. I can touch any of the buttons with muscle memory without taking my eyes off the road. Also if there is any question you can simply drape your fingers across the buttons and their assigned function appears on the screen.

The buttons that could have been better in my opinion are the ones for driving mode, parking camera, etc - it’s basically a sheet of glass with no physical delineation.

Seems like they came up with an ok solution but suspect most would prefer the older buttons.
Disagree. Pre-LCI I couldn't manipulate buttons without taking my eyes off the road. Also small buttons so you could easily miss. The LCI temp virtual buttons are much more in line of view and bigger and easier to operate. All in all I find the LCI much more easier to operate.
And I owned pre-LCI and LCI, and I have no fine motor skills disorder.

People saying they can manipulate those buttons by muscle memory and without taking their eyes off the road... Without seeing, it's hit and miss.
Appreciate 1
E91toG05345.50
      04-13-2024, 10:04 AM   #58
JoeAyalaM
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMWX5 M60i / Audi S6 V8TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keng163 View Post
Geesh
I sure don’t want to miss the S63 engine so who knows how much longer that will last. I struggle as I have a 2014 X5 with the turbo diesel and it’s such a great engine and vehicle. I bought it new and loaded. There isn’t anything wrong with it - other than I’m bored. It gets 720 miles of range and it pulls strong - like a weak V8. And get 30mpg. I hate only getting $12k for it. It’s in mint shape. The M60i is gonna cost me $109k. I got a whopping $1k discount! Seriously. I hate these NY bmw dealerships.
That was my though as well, not missig out on this great engine, if I was are going to buy it, I better get it and enjoy it now.

There will only be very minor changes or updates until the next generation for 2027, so more buttons or drivetrain changes are not going to happen until then, but that new generation will most likely drop the S68 engine in favor of more electrification. Or reserve it for the M Competition model, as they did for the 5 Series.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 10:19 AM   #59
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Unfortunately the ship has sailed for physical buttons, as BMW’s direction is voice control, but doesn’t recognize natural spoken commmends, and as has been mentioned in a previous post the current BMW voice control poorly works when there is background noise in the cabin. Physical buttons will not be returning in any future G05/G06 model year, as look for a pre-LCI model.
      04-13-2024, 03:09 PM   #60
crabman
Captain
Rep

What I like about voice is the ability to go directly to a specific setting without the menu dive. It can also be good for queuing up tunes, nav directions, searching the Internet for information while driving, etc.

For ordinary and frequently used functions it's a dog for the reasons already mentioned, she completely on that. It does however have a place in a well thought out control paradigm. It's all about the balance: Get our frequently used functions on a physical control, an accurate voice entry command for the tasks for which is still suited, no problem putting the housekeeping stuff in a graphical GUI but it needs to be intuitive to navigate.

I really don't feel like that's an unreasonable ask.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:56 PM   #61
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 SO/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Agree on that too. Love those buttons
2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 05:19 PM   #62
crabman
Captain
Rep

Mine are half empty, haven't decided what I want there. Another blunder I didn't mention before is that they don't work when you're in Android Auto. I'm there quite a bit using Tidal, if I want to use a shortcut I have to go home, then swipe the screen down or use the controller, then tap the shortcut. It's not really much of a shortcut when it requires 3 interactions to perform a command.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 05:33 PM   #63
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:

Drive the LCI and try it, no draping needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 07:16 AM   #64
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
What I like about voice is the ability to go directly to a specific setting without the menu dive. It can also be good for queuing up tunes, nav directions, searching the Internet for information while driving, etc.
As long as the voice system doesn't speak and understand one's native language it's just a gimmick. You can learn some commands in English, yes, but try to tell the navigator some Scandinavian addresses or call a person with a Scandinavian name.. not working.

It's becoming harder and harder to see why I would buy another BMW. I would lose laser lights, night vision, soft close doors, comfort access in back doors, physical buttons etc. Maybe I couldn't get all of these in a Chinese car either, but I would only be paying a fraction of the price.
Appreciate 1
six380.00
      04-24-2024, 07:43 AM   #65
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

The real question is will they get rid of the arrows on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:02 AM   #66
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Apparently the trend of eliminating buttons continues...

"2025 BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe and i4 EV Double Down on Dumping Buttons"
https://www.thedrive.com/news/2025-b...umping-buttons

...but, inspecting the photo in the article of the steering wheel reveals there are ACC distance buttons! So perhaps some commonsense is returning.
Appreciate 0