BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2022, 04:02 PM   #1
2len
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Just had the 45e loaded onto the delivery truck from the dealer and noticed that the trim is wood instead of the Aliminum tetragon that I ordered.
Did not have a slightest idea to double check it but should have, i guess.

Could not decline the car as 45e is not a "parking lot available" item.

Really do not like the brown wood in blue car with white merino interior andblack shadowline everywhere possible. It scratches AF too.

What do i do? Suggestions anyone?
How difficult is it to swap the interior trim in the entire car? What options may a dealer have, especially for an out of state sale..

Thank for input everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:17 PM   #2
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Another 45e owner recently had the same issue and his dealer was willing to make it right. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1921488
Appreciate 1
2len78.50
      09-24-2022, 04:21 PM   #3
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2len View Post
Just had the 45e loaded onto the delivery truck from the dealer and noticed that the trim is wood instead of the Aliminum tetragon that I ordered.
Did not have a slightest idea to double check it but should have, i guess.

Could not decline the car as 45e is not a "parking lot available" item.

Really do not like the brown wood in blue car with white merino interior andblack shadowline everywhere possible. It scratches AF too.

What do i do? Suggestions anyone?
How difficult is it to swap the interior trim in the entire car? What options may a dealer have, especially for an out of state sale..

Thank for input everyone.
I would say show dealer your order indicating The trim you want, then it should be good enough a proof that either dealer or manufacture makes a mistake, and ask them to swap out?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
make them swap it out or refuse the vehicle as it's not the vehicle you ordered
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:38 PM   #5
2len
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
make them swap it out or refuse the vehicle as it's not the vehicle you ordered
Easy to say, i am the one in the loss then. because i am the one who ends up without the car that has been long waited for and wife pissed of not being able to drive e39m5.

New 45e is not coming for months so, declining is not a good option.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #6
NoClosedDoors
Metal Mover
Rep
Drives: Demo Car

Garage List
Quote:
Easy to say, i am the one in the loss then. because i am the one who ends up without the car that has been long waited for and wife pissed of not being able to drive e39m5.

New 45e is not coming for months so, declining is not a good option.
They might be able to trade for the allocation to get it built sooner than later or order the trim and install if that is more convenient for them.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 06:04 PM   #7
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Dealer can order the correct trim and swap it for you. They should be doing that for you without hassle, otherwise, I wouldn’t bother going back to that dealer ever again.
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

The problem you may run into is that the dealer may not fight for the trim replacement with BMWNS since you didn't buy it from. I'm not sure they will consider it a warranty item but rather a factory mistake. I think you should start with the selling dealer and let them know of the problem. Once they acknowledge it they may work with your local dealer and BMWNA to get the trim swapped out. Let us know how it turns out.
      09-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #9
LOFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Under the heading of "happy wife/happy life", how does your wife feel about the current trim that's installed?

It definitely goes in a different direction than aluminum, but it's an aesthetic taste, I think.
Appreciate 2
2len78.50
volodp198.00
      09-25-2022, 11:39 AM   #10
Brah02
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X5 45e, '16 X5 40e

Will cost more but you could just order the correct trim and have it installed? The extra cost might be worth not having to wait for a new build. They also have some pretty cool aftermarket trims like carbon fiber. I have even seen people wrap their trim.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 12:28 PM   #11
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Do you have the order with the dealership with the correct trim, etc?

I know some dealers make you unofficially sign everything before it goes into an order bank to absolve them of any issues like this.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 02:31 PM   #12
2len
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggie View Post
Do you have the order with the dealership with the correct trim, etc?

I know some dealers make you unofficially sign everything before it goes into an order bank to absolve them of any issues like this.
Did not even approve anything.
Sent my sales guy THE CODES, not even the print screen and thats it.
While waiting in QC for a month did not check the "standard options" tab, or did and forgot what it said.

Wife is the one who does not like it much. And it is her daily. Lacquered wood is so prone to small scratches and not as "sporty" as Aluminum
If I had a Green car with Tartufo this wood would have looked great!

Obviously everything is closed on Sunday. Car just got delivered after 3 days of dryhumping.

The trucker dude first crawls under the car to unlock the wheels and then wants to get into the driver seat from the trunk, merino white interior, I was like - "U fcker freeze right there!" Got my shows off and got the car out of the trailer.

So tomorrow will have a chat with the dealer. Ideally order new trim and swap with local BMW is the way to go for us. But overall just a fcked up experience.

I feel bad i had recommended that dealership in the past. Everything was great up until the most important part of transaction.

Will keep updating as it unravels.

Thanks for suggestions, Team!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #13
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Was your order wrong or did the factory mess up and install the wrong trim?

If it's the former, that's on you because you had several opportunities to check and raise it. Right from signing the purchase order.

If it's the latter, it's a simple warranty claim. Trim probably costs somewhere in the $1-2K range for all the parts. I know the section in front of the passenger costs between $500-$600 because I had that replaced under warranty for some imperfection.
      09-26-2022, 02:04 PM   #14
2len
Private
Rep

I got an offensive offer of 200 dollars and offer to pick up the car.

Will keep updating as some piece of correct trim get added to that offer.

On a side note -
What governing power is there over the dealerships?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 02:12 PM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:

On a side note -
One could argue none since there are independent businesses. Of course there are rules from BMWNA that they need to follow.

In this case if it can be shown that it was a factory error, then there should be no problem getting it all replaced. The caveat to that though is you took delivery which they could argue you agreed to the changed. Have you been able to determine if it was a factory error or a dealer error?

If a factory error, I would contact BMWNA and let them know the situation.
2len78.50
      09-26-2022, 02:12 PM   #16
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:

On a side note -
I think it depends on where the mistake was made. If it is factory, then BMWNA should take care of it, and dealer should be on your side. If dealer made that mistake, then dealer should order trim and replace for you.
      09-26-2022, 02:16 PM   #17
2len
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Quote:

On a side note -
I think it depends on where the mistake was made. If it is factory, then BMWNA should take care of it, and dealer should be on your side. If dealer made that mistake, then dealer should order trim and replace for you.
It was ordered wrong
And since i have not received a copy of the order it was discovered upon arrival.

Also, forgot to say.

I was told the trims are irreplaceable! It is ONLY one trim per car. Bespoke trim so to speak, wood can only be substituted by wood, aluminum has different measurements…

When did ppl stop doing their job well?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 02:49 PM   #18
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
It was ordered wrong
And since i have not received a copy of the order it was discovered upon arrival.

Also, forgot to say.

I was told the trims are irreplaceable! It is ONLY one trim per car. Bespoke trim so to speak, wood can only be substituted by wood, aluminum has different measurements…

If it was an ordering problem and they won't admit it then you are screwed.

Ignore what they said, trims are not one of a kind and are interchangeable.
      09-26-2022, 03:02 PM   #19
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
It was ordered wrong

Also, forgot to say.

Who told you the interior trim is not interchangeable? Certainly each color of trim has a different part number but if they were not simply pull out the wood and push in the aluminum, that would mean that all the trim receptacles in the car would have to be custom for the type of trim ordered. That seems pretty absurd to me. Take the door panels for example, each leather or non leather color chosen gets a separate part number but that does not hold true for the color of the trim pieces, they simply snap into the door panel no matter what color leather is chosen, they are interchangeable.
Same goes for the dash, the dash is the same no matter which trim people order. The dash part number only changes if the heads up display is ordered or, in the old days, leather dash, that sort of thing but not for the trim pieces. Am I misunderstanding what you wrote or what you were told? My guess is the dealer is feeding you a line of you know what just to cover their you know what.

Last edited by Marty in NY; 09-26-2022 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Dang, TB beat me to it :-(
Appreciate 1
2len78.50
      09-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #20
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Do you have it in writing, or documented anywhere with what you told the dealership to order and they messed up?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 03:35 PM   #21
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

I would not take the route of trim replacement from dealer...if I had the option to re-order. It's subjective....

Certain area's are easy pry and snap but others....it's a bit more invasive that I would not prefer opting for the R&R.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #22
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
I would not take the route of trim replacement from dealer...if I had the option to re-order. It's subjective....

Certain area's are easy pry and snap but others....it's a bit more invasive that I would not prefer opting for the R&R.
If I'm following the issue correctly, he already took ownership site unseen and that's the problem.
Appreciate 0