BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #67
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ben View Post
We have a newborn and find our e70 x5 can be cramped with all the stuff you need to carry with a kid. I can’t imagine hauling three kidss around in it. If a three row suv like an x7 or minivan won’t work, might I suggest a quad cab pickup truck. The back seat on most 4 door trucks is huge. Three kids would fit easy, plus you have the convenience of having a truck to do things like haul toys, or trips to home depo, or do other truck things. Get a topper for the truck box and have 6 feet of dry secure storage. Fuel economy is very decent on modern trucks, and if the budget is on the low side, used trucks can be had for very reasonable prices.
You take too much stuff! Currently on a weekend camping with our 2.5year old in an e81 1 series...room to spare, even with a 5-man tent...
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4462.00
E91WAG3N1246.50
      07-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #68
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

XC90?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #69
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

As a European who does not see the point of buying an SUV just because there is one kid on the way - I mean, putting a ski box on a tall car is a nightmare - I suggest a bigger wagon or a family van.

Lived with an E91 for 9 years, loved the car, it's alright for a smaller family but indeed gets a bit cramped going on ski trips in four, etc. I think the S212 E-class is a very good suggestion. Trunk is way bigger in that one and taller as well due to roof that does not slope down unlike "lifestyle" wagons. Great cruiser.

Also know first-hand how boxy things like the Metris (Vito or the lux version V-class stateside or the Euro-only VW vans) are actually THE BEST family haulers ever. If you want to carry four to five people, even adults, all their bicycles, luggage and food all under one roof, this is your number one choice.

Just depends how much household you carry on holidays. I grew up in a small hatchback!
E91WAG3N1246.50
      07-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #70
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Love our B8.5 allroad.

Appreciate 2
E91WAG3N1246.50
GERMAN M34176.50
      07-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #71
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

The issue is strollers, the one's that the kid seat clips into the seat uses a big, big frame.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #72
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The issue is strollers, the one's that the kid seat clips into the seat uses a big, big frame.
Why is that a big deal? Ours fit in my GTI. People massively over buy cars. If the current MINI wasn't a turd, I'd be fine with something that size as the primary kid hauler for one kid, my VW feels larger than what I really need, wish I could get the Polo GTI.
Appreciate 1
E91WAG3N1246.50
      07-17-2020, 08:24 PM   #73
jmull3r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Lexus IS300 F-Sport

i'd suggest a Lexus RX350 f-sport. very roomy in the back and super fun to drive if you decide to have fun one day lol. it's got plenty of power for daily driving of course too, not to mention imo i think they're one of the best looking SUV's on the road right now.
Attached Images

07-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #74
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why is that a big deal? Ours fit in my GTI. People massively over buy cars. If the current MINI wasn't a turd, I'd be fine with something that size as the primary kid hauler for one kid, my VW feels larger than what I really need, wish I could get the Polo GTI.
To some degree I agree, I have found something the size of the X3 and Stelvio good enough for two kids aged 8 and 4, it's the third sprog that's throwing a curve ball here.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 10:10 PM   #75
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
To some degree I agree, I have found something the size of the X3 and Stelvio good enough for two kids aged 8 and 4, it's the third sprog that's throwing a curve ball here.
Oh, absolutely. Three would definitely work with our GTI and Q5.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:40 AM   #76
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

Ever considered BMW 640i Gran Turismo? It has the space of an X5, the interior quality of a 7 series, and the ride height of a car.
Appreciate 1
E91WAG3N1246.50
      07-19-2020, 06:35 AM   #77
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

What's the big deal about getting a larger SUV or minivan. The vehicle is not for driving excitement, it's for safely getting your family from point A to B. Once I knew I was having twins I went out and bought a used Ford Explorer. It did it's job and the interior got trashed. I traded it in for a used 2016 Chevy Traverse because I really wanted the 2nd row captain chairs which makes it so much easier when carpooling and having other kids get to the third row.

Put aside your ego and do the best thing for your family. It'll only be temporary for a few years. Once my kids were able to sit in booster seats, we traded my wife's Lexus RX350 for a MB 300E. I only use the Traverse when I don't feel like driving the M.
bucketfoot1056.00
RatedX0.00
      07-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #78
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91WAG3N View Post
It's a big shame that MB will only offer up 'allroad' versions of their estate cars. It seems odd that they'd tinker with the E wagon given how loyal and wealthy the new car buyers are in that segment, even with the low volume of units. Both the S212 and S213 are nice, visually I prefer the rear end of the older chassis but that's not a deal breaker. S212 seems tried and true at this point as well, which is a plus. I'll end up giving both a try along with the Macan to see what works. Tyler Hoover from Hoovies garage picked one up and I'm fairly certain he said he was able to get his S213 without air suspension, I need to read up to see if that spec was an option on the previous gen as well. That would be a nice headache to avoid 5-10 years down the road.

Completely agreed! The responses here don't really surprise me since they proportionately reflect what's out on the roads today. Bigger does not always mean safer both in the context of a vehicle and car seat. Engineering is key.

In terms of ingress and egress, my oldest self buckles and our 2 year old is making progress in that area so hopefully we don't end up at the chiropractor!

Sounds like you're dead set on being different. I think it's silly to avoid a minivan, but your money, your choice. I second the Mercedes R. An E wagon would work too if you insist on a car. Dark horse is an LR4, just because I'm eyeing one for my new winter vehicle.

Any choice you make, though, a van or 3 row suv is still the best tool for the job. I won't call your kids names, but my three little shits would have scored the doors of hundreds of cars in hundreds of parking lots without the sliding doors. It's also the most comfortable for everyone. I also keep my cars a long time, so the minivan was a long ball family hauler purchase. It sure killed me a couple of years ago to be driving through a windy coastal road with redwoods in NorCal in a Sienna instead of my 335i. Oh well. At least I wasn't as mad when my kids produced and did every single one of the most vile and disgusting things a human body can do in the minivan instead of my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:02 PM   #79
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Minivans drive like ass. I've driven a bunch including good ones. The only one I'd remotely consider isn't even really a van.

Besides what's wrong with taking a shot at having cake and eating it too.
Appreciate 1
E91WAG3N1246.50
      07-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #80
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Case closed, Mercedes S212 or S213 E Class Wagon is the play here. F11 5 Series would be if it was sold stateside. I won't be spending $30k+ on a new car until the pandemic has subsided. I might end pick up an E61 530i to hold me over until then.

The majority of reactions here of 'get an SUV or van, you NEED it' is surprising given this is an enthusiast forum. However, not surprising given what we see dominating the roads today. I'm guessing these are the same people that think you need a 5,000 sq ft house with 7 bathrooms and 5 bedrooms to raise a family. It's all overkill.

I drove shuttle duty when I worked at car dealerships at the turn of the century and every Toyota Sienna, Chevy Venture, Honda Odyssey I was handed to they keys to sucked in every way. I've driven a few since and still am not impressed.

Not wanting to own a minvan or SUV has nothing to do with being different or my ego. It's using a sledge hammer to drive a nail into a board. It's way too much metal in my opinion. swagon and mgmarsh39 and Tambohamilton and Red Bread seem to get it. I've puttered around in my mom's X3 while she's been here and the car is trash. It's heavy, large, and un-engaging to drive but somehow really doesn't have room for more stuff than my E91. The cabin is taller, but that's about it. I don't see the benefit, at all.

Great discussion and thanks for everyone's suggestions. I really liked the idea of the manual Accord and early model Tesla. Hadn't considered those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Minivans drive like ass. I've driven a bunch including good ones. The only one I'd remotely consider isn't even really a van.

This. Life is too short to drive boring cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #81
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Case closed, Mercedes S212 or S213 E Class Wagon is the play here. F11 5 Series would be if it was sold stateside. I won't be spending $30k+ on a new car until the pandemic has subsided. I might end pick up an E61 530i to hold me over until then.

The majority of reactions here of 'get an SUV or van, you NEED it' is surprising given this is an enthusiast forum. However, not surprising given what we see dominating the roads today. I'm guessing these are the same people that think you need a 5,000 sq ft house with 7 bathrooms and 5 bedrooms to raise a family. It's all overkill.

I drove shuttle duty when I worked at car dealerships at the turn of the century and every Toyota Sienna, Chevy Venture, Honda Odyssey I was handed to they keys to sucked in every way. I've driven a few since and still am not impressed.

Not wanting to own a minvan or SUV has nothing to do with being different or my ego. It's using a sledge hammer to drive a nail into a board. It's way too much metal in my opinion. swagon and mgmarsh39 and Tambohamilton seem to get it. I've puttered around in my mom's X3 while she's been here and the car is trash. It's heavy, large, and un-engaging to drive but somehow really doesn't have room for more stuff than my E91. The cabin is taller, but that's about it. I don't see the benefit, at all.

Great discussion and thanks for everyone's suggestions. I really liked the idea of the manual Accord and early model Tesla. Hadn't considered those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post

This. Life is too short to drive boring cars.
I recommend the S213 for the interior alone, I have the same one in my CLS and it really just makes you feel special. There should be some coming in CPO/off-lease but they may be out of price range. Either way, S212 or 213, both are excellent wagons and should suffice for space.
wdb4673.00
      07-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #82
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I recommend the S213 for the interior alone, I have the same one in my CLS and it really just makes you feel special. There should be some coming in CPO/off-lease but they may be out of price range. Either way, S212 or 213, both are excellent wagons and should suffice for space.
Agreed! I'm hoping to find a CPO example when I'm ready next year. I'd like to keep it well under $50k, hoping I can snag something in the $30's. The 213's haven't dipped that low, yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #83
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

You're starting to merge issues which are separate.

1) 3 kids and going 3 wide in anything sportyish basically means Diono seats for your smallest kid which, IMHO, is a reckless and selfish choice.

2) Even if you overlook this this, a small, sporty SUV won't have much trunk space, how do you even cart a stroller and some groceries? How will you transport a kid's friend to and from baseball or soccer?

3) If you stick with two rows a wagon is great, hey I own one! BUT, to be fair, no doubt in my mind that a SUV is easier with kids than a wagon. Namely, bolting them in and out of their seats is way easier.

4) Once you're at 3 rows, everything drives like trash so you may as well have the utility of a van

We own a 9-3 wagon and a Stelvio so we are not Yukon or Q7 type people but the Stelvio for example, as good as it drives, is BARELY big enough for two kids. I cannot imagine 3, literally no idea how you do it in a Macana bout the same size or smaller.

Only compromise I can see working is an E-Class wagon but they drive like ass too unless AMG.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #84
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

My kid loves his Diono. Been in a wreck with it too and oddly, he lived. I agree that they're not good for rear facing, but see absolutely no drawbacks for forward facing.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #85
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 e91

Quote:
My kid loves his Diono. Been in a wreck with it too and oddly, he lived. I agree that they're not good for rear facing, but see absolutely no drawbacks for forward facing.
I've got 6 Dionos in our cars for our twins. Wouldn't buy anything else, they are awesome! We had a friend who also got in an accident with one in the back (pretty nasty one too) and the doctors all had super high praise for the protection it provided their kid.

Follow on Instagram: BlueM3wagon
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      07-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #86
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueM3Wagon View Post
Quote:
I've got 6 Dionos in our cars for our twins. Wouldn't buy anything else, they are awesome! We had a friend who also got in an accident with out in the back (pretty nasty one too) and the doctors all had super high praise for the protection it provided their kid.
We should probably trust one random Italian car fan on the internet though.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #87
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueM3Wagon View Post
I've got 6 Dionos in our cars for our twins. Wouldn't buy anything else, they are awesome! We had a friend who also got in an accident with one in the back (pretty nasty one too) and the doctors all had super high praise for the protection it provided their kid.
Can you fit 3 across in an E91? 😍
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 01:14 AM   #88
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
I might end pick up an E61 530i to hold me over until then.
£5 says you wind up keeping the 530

Quote:
3 kids and going 3 wide in anything sportyish basically means Diono seats for your smallest kid which, IMHO, is a reckless and selfish choice.
Using certified safe child seats is reckless and selfish??? Come on now, that is a ridiculous thing to say, opinion or not.

Largest car my family (3 kids) had when I grew up was a VW Polo...we had 6 of them over the years. Largest was a sedan version (2 door). Most were 3 door hatchbacks. Granted child seats then were not what they are now, and that's not something I can recommend scrimping on...but we always all fitted in for family holidays etc; we don't need these 'cars' where you can wander about inside...it's simple enough to find a way with a little contortion, which isn't the end of the world. As for crash safety...I highly doubt an SUV is actually safer than a wagon. Accident avoidance is king there anyhow, and I fully agree with the OP that a nimble (relatively) wagon will beat an SUV etc there. YMMV.
Appreciate 1
E91WAG3N1246.50