BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-01-2021, 10:51 PM   #1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x6m50i

Question 2021 bmw x6 m50i exhuast issues

Hello all, first post here!

I am wondering about the exhuast system in my car. So my car is bought in Canada, so I think it's a US spec. I have heard that x6 has now gone quiter in terms of the exhuast from 2020 model or was it untrue?

My car is still fairly new (1000km). The car when I first had it had good pops and burbles on rev but starting a few days ago I do not hear any pops and cracks when I turn on sport plus and warmed engine. Was there something wrong?

Also, has anyone got good option for an aftermarket exhuast that can produce good crackles and louder sounds? Would it affect the warranty(assuming you restore back the stock exhuast before checkin to the dealer)

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

Do you know if your X6 underwent an OTA update? I have heard that a lot of the drivers have mentioned that one of the OTA updates has eliminated the pops and burbles.

As far as the aftermarket exhaust is concerned, I am opting to go with an X pipe to replace the resonators. If you do a quick search, you should find multiple threads about exhaust mods.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
Do you know if your X6 underwent an OTA update? I have heard that a lot of the drivers have mentioned that one of the OTA updates has eliminated the pops and burbles.

As far as the aftermarket exhaust is concerned, I am opting to go with an X pipe to replace the resonators. If you do a quick search, you should find multiple threads about exhaust mods.
Wow thank you for the help!
Was this recently happened of the update? the burbles only went away few days ago for me. I did not manually choose to update and did not receive anything telling me about an update.

I might have missed the posts about other drivers saying that the bubbles were missing. Is it new and only for 2021 model or all oher models? Can something be done to get the pops back without hurting any warranties and such?

Would a straight pipe produce more sounds?

Thank you for the reply!

Last edited by 2978386166; 10-02-2021 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: missed few info
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2978386166 View Post
Wow thank you for the help!
Was this recently happened of the update? the burbles only went away few days ago for me. I did not manually choose to update and did not receive anything telling me about an update.

I might have missed the posts about other drivers saying that the bubbles were missing. Is it new and only for 2021 model or all oher models? Can something be done to get the pops back without hurting any warranties and such?

Would a straight pipe produce more sounds?

Thank you for the reply!
If you have the option checked off to automatically download and apply OTA updates, your vehicle will do so over night I believe.......I am not 100% sure though.

I looks like there is a number of drivers who claim that any modifications done after the catalytic converters will not void any warranties. However, this is something you should check with your dealer for a better clarification.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If you have the option checked off to automatically download and apply OTA updates, your vehicle will do so over night I believe.......I am not 100% sure though.

I looks like there is a number of drivers who claim that any modifications done after the catalytic converters will not void any warranties. However, this is something you should check with your dealer for a better clarification.
Very very thankful for the response. Any way to stop automatic updates, would updates be helpful tho?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2978386166 View Post
Very very thankful for the response. Any way to stop automatic updates, would updates be helpful tho?
You can find the option in the Idrive menu.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 02:01 AM   #7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You can find the option in the Idrive menu.
hi, just a follow-up. I realized that putting the engine sound setting into sporty actually allowed burbles, whereas putting the engine sound at reduced, the car actually had no burtles even in sport plus!
Appreciate 0