BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
S_McTowelie
Private
Rep
Drives: \

Order Placed! X5 M50i

Just placed order on an X5 M50i!! This is my first BMW and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Received the production number from the dealer, so now I need to check out the status tracker and anxiously await the arrival.

Build:
Mineral white
Cognac leather
Matte wood
Premium package
Drivers assistance pro (was on the fence about this one but kept reading the forums and the praise seemed to outweigh the critiques)
Parking assistance
Climate comfort
Trailer hitch
Spare tire (namely hoping to get non-RFT once the factory tires are done)

Have been sharing an S3 with my wife for three years as we lived close to the city. Now that we have moved to the burbs, it was time for another car (plus the Audi is a bit snug for an infant car seat).

Was considering one other SUV at the other end of the spectrum for additional space, more of a smooth cruiser, and a cheaper price (Aviator Black Label), but when push came to shove my wife reminded me that I've always been pining for a BMW and that I keep cars for a long time (crossing my fingers the X5 can do 100k miles with proper maintenance), so I went for the fun car instead.

Looking forward to joining the forum discussions. I'll post pictures when she arrives in December (hopefully).
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
      10-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #2
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

You will love that car. My wife’s x5 has hit 110k miles and we have only spent $560 on repairs because we have maintained it religiously. That smooth and powerful v8 will amaze you.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Congratulations, hopefully the wait isn't too long. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
      10-16-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_McTowelie View Post
Just placed order on an X5 M50i!!
Congrats, that's a heck of an upgrade from an S3!

If you're obsessive about the tracking, make sure to get your build week from the dealer and/or the genius 1800 number.

You can expect the status to start moving a week or two before your build week.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 07:05 PM   #5
S_McTowelie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Just placed order on an X5 M50i!!
Congrats, that's a heck of an upgrade from an S3!

If you're obsessive about the tracking, make sure to get your build week from the dealer and/or the genius 1800 number.

You can expect the status to start moving a week or two before your build week.

Have fun!
Thanks for the info! I'll try to stay hands off in hopes that it'll make time go faster, but I'll prb cave and start peeking at production status after a week.

Yeah, for sure an upgrade. Our garage in Seattle was so small the S3 barely fit. We test drove a 3 series last year and tried to park it in the garage and the trunk hung out past the door opening. I guess moving to the burbs has some perks.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Just placed order on an X5 M50i!! This is my first BMW and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Received the production number from the dealer, so now I need to check out the status tracker and anxiously await the arrival.

Build:
Mineral white
Cognac leather
Matte wood
Premium package
Drivers assistance pro (was on the fence about this one but kept reading the forums and the praise seemed to outweigh the critiques)
Parking assistance
Climate comfort
Trailer hitch

Have been sharing an S3 with my wife for three years as we lived close to the city. Now that we have moved to the burbs, it was time for another car (plus the Audi is a bit snug for an infant car seat).

Was considering one other SUV at the other end of the spectrum for additional space, more of a smooth cruiser, and a cheaper price (Aviator Black Label), but when push came to shove my wife reminded me that I've always been pining for a BMW and that I keep cars for a long time (crossing my fingers the X5 can do 100k miles with proper maintenance), so I went for the fun car instead.

Looking forward to joining the forum discussions. I'll post pictures when she arrives in December (hopefully).
Very sensible build and no doubt you'll enjoy the M50i! Congrats on the new home and car. Looks like they go together these days. LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Grats!

I just ordered one as well, slated for November. Can you confirm if the wifi hotspot and the Sirius made it in your build? It appears it has for mine, which is great (see attachment). I had been warned I might not get these two things, but they appear to have made it.

Excited for the car and kinda just grateful to be “able” to get anything new these days in a reasonable amount of time (kudos BMW), but sad to miss out on some clutch features like air suspension, Night Vision, etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
S_McTowelie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
Grats!

I just ordered one as well, slated for November. Can you confirm if the wifi hotspot and the Sirius made it in your build? It appears it has for mine, which is great (see attachment). I had been warned I might not get these two things, but they appear to have made it.

Excited for the car and kinda just grateful to be “able” to get anything new these days in a reasonable amount of time (kudos BMW), but sad to miss out on some clutch features like air suspension, Night Vision, etc.
Hey 3Wagon. Congrats on your purchase as well! Looking forward to seeing pics when she arrives.

The XM radio and hotspot aren't listed on my build sheet from the dealer, but they are included on the standard features list for the build when I log into My Garage.

As for those other options, I don't think I would have checked the boxes for them anyway, so I'm not missing out too much. But, I get your point that it's nice to have the option there for people who want the feature. My Sophie's choice would have been whether or not to get B&W stereo if it was available.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #9
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
The XM radio and hotspot aren't listed on my build sheet from the dealer, but they are included on the standard features list for the build when I log into My Garage.

As for those other options, I don't think I would have checked the boxes for them anyway, so I'm not missing out too much. But, I get your point that it's nice to have the option there for people who want the feature. My Sophie's choice would have been whether or not to get B&W stereo if it was available.
Awesome - thanks. It is also in my standard equipment; the funny thing is if you go online to build the m50i, the wifi hotspot is *not* shown as a standard feature currently (see screenshot), but I am sure the actual build sheet/My garage list is the definitive source of truth (XM is listed in both places but might not be on all models atm.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:08 AM   #10
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:

Build:
Mineral white
Cognac leather
Matte wood
Premium package
Parking assistance
Climate comfort
Trailer hitch

Not that it's the same model or motor...but i still have my 2013 328i...168K miles on the clock. Mostly the standard regular maintenance items and other wear and tear goodies (a gasket here, and there...replaced struts...etc) but by and large (and knocking on the wood of a giant sequoia)...the car hasn't stranded me. i think one of the key things is i ALWAYS have deactivated the auto stop/start feature in the car when i start up. Read in the owner manual that while you get some nominal to negligible gas savings...it comes with increased/accelerated wear on certain engine components.

Keep to the maintenance schedule and do repairs with genuine BMW parts (i made the mistake with brake rotors 1x and paid dearly)...and you should be good for the 100K goal line

I'll add that i took delivery of my M50i just a smidge over a month ago and I love it. Puts a smile on my face every time i fire her up. Have a mini road trip planned going up to Monterey Bay in a few weeks and a summer trip to Vancouver as well (provided travel restrictions continue heading in the right direction). You'll enjoy every moment

Last edited by goobies818; 10-20-2021 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:20 AM   #11
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'll try to stay hands off in hopes that it'll make time go faster, but I'll prb cave and start peeking at production status after a week.

Yeah, for sure an upgrade. Our garage in Seattle was so small the S3 barely fit. We test drove a 3 series last year and tried to park it in the garage and the trunk hung out past the door opening. I guess moving to the burbs has some perks.
I suppose you then won't want the number to track your car once it's on the train and you call Norfolk Southern with your bill of lading and the automated system tells you what city it has passed through or stopped at...that was several days of torture (including the 3 days where it just sat in Kansas City)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:18 AM   #12
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobies818 View Post
Quote:

I suppose you then won't want the number to track your car once it's on the train and you call Norfolk Southern with your bill of lading and the automated system tells you what city it has passed through or stopped at...that was several days of torture (including the 3 days where it just sat in Kansas City)
: I'm pretty sure I'm the cause of a few MyBMW outages the last few months.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #13
S_McTowelie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobies818 View Post
Quote:

Haha. Thanks for the offer but I'll just stick with the My Garage tracker on BMW site. I'll have to drive 4.5 hours to get it anyway, so I'll have plenty of bonding time on the drive back home. I'll need to do some research about break-in techniques though as I think I'll be breaking a cardinal rule and driving it for extended period of time on freeway (300 mile drive, half state highway, half interstate).

Good to hear about the mileage you're getting out of your 3 series. I'm with you on the auto start stop. I always turn it off on the S3 as it's quite coarse when it activates. It would be nice if these dang cars remembered the off setting and didn't always default to being on (probably a way to get it coded I suppose).

Enjoy the trip to Vancouver!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #14
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

I'll need to do some research about break-in techniques though as I think I'll be breaking a cardinal rule and driving it for extended period of time on freeway (300 mile drive, half state highway, half interstate).
No big whoop, just downshift it a gear every 20 min or so for a minute or two if you really wanna be a stickler. The rule is, you don't want the rpms to sit in one place for more than 20ish min.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:46 AM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I'll need to do some research about break-in techniques though as I think I'll be breaking a cardinal rule and driving it for extended period of time on freeway (300 mile drive, half state highway, half interstate).!

That is not part of the break-in process so you will be fine. Years ago there was some reference to RPMs, at least verbal, but that is no longer relevant, could be the modern transmissions switch gears so often the RPMs are changing often enough.
Attached Images

10-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #16
S_McTowelie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
I'll need to do some research about break-in techniques though as I think I'll be breaking a cardinal rule and driving it for extended period of time on freeway (300 mile drive, half state highway, half interstate).!

That is not part of the break-in process so you will be fine. Years ago there was some reference to RPMs, at least verbal, but that is no longer relevant, could be the modern transmissions switch gears so often the RPMs are changing often enough.
Thanks fellas. Avoiding full throttle will be tough 😁.
Appreciate 0