BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #23
Norbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3 120, iX 50

I have the full Thule kit with Aeroblades racks and a full length Thule Alpine rooftop box. Regarding wind noise, I mounted the rack and took a test drive at different speeds when I got the rack. Heared a light whissling sound, I then re-positioned the front rack slightly which changes the angle as the rails on the car are slightly curved (the roof isn’t truly flat) whissling sound went away. Take photos of your install and mounting positions of the rack once you have it dialed in, good for next time

I can mount the rack myself, but be careful when you lower it onto the rails. Although the feet are clad with rubber, it can scratch the paint and especially the very sensitive shadowline rails. Put a thick towel over the roof/rail on the far side and lower gently, then walk around and attach properly. They have torque limiters so you know when they are secure. Same with the roof box.

The roof box weighs 25kg (50 pounds) and can be lifted alone, but it is bulky so I do it with the wife, it is easy and should not give any marital issues If you have air suspension, drop the car to load mode… but a stool is handy to have around to reach well into the box. You can as mentioned stand on the sil, or on the wheel as well.

Both racks and box are locked to prevent theft. Not high grade locks, but at least something.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18179.00
      10-21-2021, 11:50 PM   #24
jakenstein
Rep
Drives: 2020 Lexus RC F, 2022 BMW X5

I just got my 2022 X5 last month and I just got the Thule Aero Edge bars a couple weeks ago. I ordered them from RackNRoad as they are extremely limited and hard to find. They look great and fit fantastic. I have an older Thule box I used on my 4Runner - haven't tried on the X5 yet. Weighs about 35- 40 lb. I can manage that by myself. Both the 4Runner and X5 have running boards which help alot. Standing on the rear tires helps but biggest help is folding down the rear seat and standing on top of that. I put rubber mat down when rear seats folded because of snow and mud. I have been looking at some of the newer alpine boxes from Thule but found out the newer and more expensive ones are fiberglass and weigh a lot more than the cheaper plastic boxes. I'm afraid they will end up being a 2 person operation to mount and dismount.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 11:51 PM   #25
jakenstein
Rep
Drives: 2020 Lexus RC F, 2022 BMW X5

I just ordered one of these after seeing a similar product on another post in the forum. Couldn't find it but found some other threads on roof boxes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  183.7 KB
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18179.00
amus3d428.00
eelnoraa2032.50
      01-12-2023, 10:47 AM   #26
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

Give us a review when you try it out. I've been thinking about picking one up too.

Last edited by amus3d; 01-12-2023 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 11:28 AM   #27
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Yes, me too. let us know how it work out, especially here.

My main concern is since all force is being transfer into side way force here in a rather small area. I have seen some products dented some car's B-pillar in this direction. Not sure if it is the product or the car specific. Sure b-pillar is structurally strong, but they are not strong cosmetically.
Attached Images