BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #1
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Owners of Tesla and X5/X6 : Pros and Cons

Hi, Looks like several people on this forum have a Tesla (or have had one) along with their current X5 or X6.

What are some of things you like (and don't like) about Tesla vs the X5.

We already decided to go with a X5 now, also debating about Tesla. Thank you all.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

You're trying to compare a brand with a specific model of vehicle. Which Tesla are you interested in?

I've owned a G05 diesel and a M3LR. Tesla wins on performance, running costs, convenience, tech, and autonomy.

BMW wins on build quality and a better ride.

I prefer the Tesla, but some of that is down to EV vs ICE. Now if you are comparing the MY/MX with an iX that might be a different story.....
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
Gstahl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e soon

Owned a tesla model S. Never again…. In shop 13 times in 3 years. Always had some rattle or issue. Suspension is pretty horrible (simple design, under dampened and heavy vehicle for size). To be fair M3 has some very good aftermarket suspension options. MS sears were not comfortable, not terrible, but not equal to car price. Electric motor technology is brilliant. Rest is meh from my ownership experience. I

If you want an full electric to get you from point a to point b for reasonable cost M3/Y is still your best choice. Obviously i wont buy a tesla again but unless you are fully committed to going electric I would not go MX over X5/6 for everything else you get beyond the electric drivetrain (read as MX is not that much better than affordable MY)

My math was…
Tesla…. Fool me once… i did consider an M3 for the dollar to carpool sticker equation, but could not do it.

Porsche Taycan… cant see paying $130k to $180k for taycan i would want given technology rate and depreciation for that vehicle (nite, in CA so have to deal with 3 year carpool stickers)

So i am awaiting X5 45e, seems best fit/package as technology continues to evolute.

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
Hi, Looks like several people on this forum have a Tesla (or have had one) along with their current X5 or X6.

What are some of things you like (and don't like) about Tesla vs the X5.

We already decided to go with a X5 now, also debating about Tesla. Thank you all.
We have a 2020 MY Performance (mainly wife's DD), I have a 2018 X5 50i as daily driver and my younger brother has a 2019 X5 50i as his daily driver. I've driven all three extensively and IMHO:

1. MY is easy to live with, performance is excellent, the interior is quiet, comfortable seats, very good audio, lots of space and charging at home and supercharger network. We haven't had any issues with fit or finish. From what I know, all the Teslas from late 2020 have improved build quality...so no compliants.

2. X5 has a beautiful and luxurious interior (both the F15 and G05). No comparison. Much better for longer trips. My X5 has DHP, otherwise, the MY will handle better than a regular X5 due to its lower center of gravity and sportier suspension. Also, from what I was told, the suspension on the new Model S and Model X are much better than the MY - My experience as a passenger in the new Model S Plaid is that, for anyone with an open mind, it is very comfortable and the ride is amazing. Not sure what magic Tesla did on it. But they are out of my budget...

3. X5 has CarPlay, no Yoke steering, and real leather interior...

In the end, it is what works for you. We have an iX on order mainly because owning an EV has been so good. The iX combines a top-notch EV drivetrain (fingers crossed) with BMW's flair for interior design.

I think both Tesla and BMW are fine based on what one needs or likes. Personally, the X5 45e might be the best in the middle SUV right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #5
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

EV's are the future for sure, so get a big V8 while you still can.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Some live by the sounds their ICE makes...me, personally, prefer things to be quiet. I liked my i3 for my daily driver, but needed an ICE for longer trips. The X5 45e satisfies both needs, but the X5 certainly is harder to maneuver into a small parking space or turn around! My normal mix allows me to do mostly electric, as I live in town, so speeds are low, and most things are close. But, as I found on a long trip of about 2000-miles, the ICE in the X5 45e is not bad on efficiency I got about 28-mpg running fully loaded at 75-mph most of the time. There was some, but not many, local trips on that longer one. Impressive for a 5600# vehicle dry.
Appreciate 0