nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
I had no idea. Why in the world would they sell the car with summer tires and not all-seasons? Bad enough they are run-flats . . . .
it's multi-pronged. since this thread is about the 45e which doesn't have an option to buy a spare, they all come with RFTs. 20" will come with all-season RFT but not 21" because that type of tire doesn't even exist in that size.
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      10-25-2021, 03:20 PM   #68
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Some people want maximum performance, so are willing to put up with summer performance tires when they're viable. If you don't live where it gets below about 40F, then you don't 'need' winter or all-season tires. AN all-season tire is a compromise, all seasons...we have not perfected a rubber compound that performs equally well under all driving conditions, and probably never will.

Putting all-season tires on something like an M-car would be sacrilege to many!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #69
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
AN all-season tire is a compromise, all seasons...we have not perfected a rubber compound that performs equally well under all driving conditions, and probably never will.
all-weather tires
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/all-weather-tires
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #70
Norbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3 120, iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
correct me if I'm wrong, but the factory hitch you have is the 'stealth' hitch that is motorized and retracts? if so, then kick-to-open is retained.

that hitch version is not offered in the U.S. 45e. ours is static and loses kick-to-open.
You are correct, that is the one we have. Why is it not even offered in the U.S?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #71
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbimmer View Post
You are correct, that is the one we have. Why is it not even offered in the U.S?
The vast majority of people in the USA use their hitch to attach a bike rack. Yes, the gooseneck can handle that, but none of those are sold here. Rather than sliding into the square receiver, they require a clamping system to lock it onto the gooseneck and not rotate freely.

There are different sized balls used on trailers here, depending on load capacity, and that's easy to swap with the square receiver, and may not be possible with the gooseneck.

There are at least three different 'systems' of hitch sold by BMW around the world:
- the US style square receiver
- the motorized gooseneck
- a manual gooseneck (that may have a removeable projection, similar to the Stealth hitch system)

If I didn't live in the US, the motorized, retractable system would probably be my choice, but it's like 6x more expensive than the receiver we use in the USA! The non-motorized version is still more expensive, but not as bad, being closer to the receiver in costs. WHen it retracts, it twists itself then moves into and behind the bumper cover. Kind of slick, but expensive! The manual version of the Westphalia is now available in the US, but just the part is over $1100, then plus installation and no electrical interface included in that price. https://etowbars.com/us/Towbars/BMW/...-X5-G05-Towbar

Westphalia is the OEM provider for most of the BMW line outside of the USA.

The Stealth system is sort of a hybrid...you can plug in a square receiver to the part that stays in the vehicle behind the bumper cover, or remove that and install a ball (in the US), or a gooseneck (the ball end is fixed, and slightly differently shaped). I do not know if those come in different sizes. The manual version may require you to lay on the ground to find the key hole, and install or remove until you become more proficient...not nice if it's wet, dirty, or slushy! The Stealth latching mechanism has a pretty stout spring-loaded handle you have to rotate to release it, then you push a locking pin in to prevent it from being removed...getting those aligned and gripping the handle are tougher than on the Westphalia manual system, and not an issue on the motorized one unless the sensors or motor fail on you, then, you'll have NO hitch at all until it's fixed...bummer if you're someplace on vacation and can't hook up your trailer to take it home!

Keep the socket greased up so the parts go in and come out, which can make storage more of an issue without getting it all over the place, too. So, the square receiver is less expensive, more adaptable than the removeable or automatic goosenecks. If you want a bike rack, or anything that you'd otherwise plug into a receiver, you'll have to import it, if it even exists.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #72
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbimmer View Post
Why is it not even offered in the U.S?
jad03060 answered that already.

the U.S. configurator doesn't currently offer the hitch option due to the supply shortages. it would be nice for us in the U.S. if the stealth hitch is offered here while the static hitch is in short supply, but I'm curious if the EU ordering configurator currently offers the stealth hitch?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:10 PM   #73
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

My guess is that it's not the mechanical hardware, but it's the lighting/electrical interface box that is the problem with chip supply issues. I suppose it could also be the different brake system, but without much more transparency, no way to tell for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #74
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I don't know how you might adjust the height of the gooseneck if your trailer didn't sit level with the 'stock' gooseneck. With the receiver system, you have a huge range of rise/drop plug-ins for the ball, to accommodate all sorts of different trailer designs.

That could produce a major stability and loading issue when pulling something, but probably not for a bike rack, although the gooseneck tends to put the thing slightly lower, so a deep, multi-cycle rack might have issues hitting something going over a dip.
Appreciate 0