BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-23-2021, 08:14 AM   #67
R34L15T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
I am fortunate to have HK audio in my 2020 G05 and I am very satisfied with it. I hope BMW can bring the option back for the 2023s.
I was surprised with HK - it's pretty good! I cannot imagine what Bowers & Wilkins sounds like.
      10-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #68
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R34L15T View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
I am fortunate to have HK audio in my 2020 G05 and I am very satisfied with it. I hope BMW can bring the option back for the 2023s.
I was surprised with HK - it's pretty good! I cannot imagine what Bowers & Wilkins sounds like.
I have the HK speakers since I upgraded mine to Focal's. There is a big difference in the build quality between HK and base HiFi.

Here is what the HK from my X5 looked like. Someone posted what the base HiFi look like…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #69
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I don't know about the HIFi, but don't the B&W and HK have different speaker locations, i.e., B&W has speakers in the roof?
Maybe that wouldn't matter at all, but it seems like the overall systems having a different design might cause something hinky?
My guess is one would be OK. May not get the full effect but should work, just like home system when you don't connect everything to it.
Yup. The surrounds usually are just for effects here. audio is usually 2.0 and the soundstage is from the front.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #70
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
I don't know about the HIFi, but don't the B&W and HK have different speaker locations, i.e., B&W has speakers in the roof?

Maybe that wouldn't matter at all, but it seems like the overall systems having a different design might cause something hinky?
People in this thread who are replacing their speakers with B&W kits off of Aliexpress are simply replacing existing speakers with those in the kit, and they are mostly doing it to get the illuminated covers. Your right in that it's not like they are going to get B&W surround sound system via this route but my point is that you don't even get one of the most important parts of what makes the B&W Diamond Surround Sound system what it is... diamond tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #71
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Quote:

People in this thread who are replacing their speakers with B&W kits off of Aliexpress are simply replacing existing speakers with those in the kit, and they are mostly doing it to get the illuminated covers. Your right in that it's not like they are going to get B&W surround sound system via this route but my point is that you don't even get one of the most important parts of what makes the B&W Diamond Surround Sound system what it is... diamond tweeters.
That is correct. But you will still get better than base HiFi by just replacing the mids. The non diamond, aluminum tweeters are another small upgrade. But the diamond tweeters won't work with the base HiFi even if you get them…since technically you can order them as a BMW part from Germany. My info is from a BMW tech, I respect, but I don't have first hand knowledge of this…

The grills and lights are a low cost upgrade to say you have B&W. Like replacing ones M50i badge with X5M Competition 😊
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18156.50
      10-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #72
olneymd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3; 2022 X5 45e (soon)

Since I couldn't get the HK option, I just had the standard Hifi speakers replaced in my 2002 X5 45e, and went with Match (Audiotec Fishcher) for the front, rear and center. The sound difference is significant and I probably won't add the Match amp at this point. I'm really pleased.

At this point, I don't see the need to add the Match AMP with DSP or swap out the subs.

The installer did point out that both front doors were missing the screw that's behind the door handle trim piece. And that there was no insulation or sound deadening material behind the front door speakers. He didn't charge me to add some of this material in-between the speaker and outer door.

I've seen a lot of discussion around BavSound and Focal, but not much on Match speakers. They are definitely a significant improvement worth considering and similarly priced to the BavSound option.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #73
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olneymd View Post
Since I couldn't get the HK option, I just had the standard Hifi speakers replaced in my 2002 X5 45e, and went with Match (Audiotec Fishcher) for the front, rear and center. The sound difference is significant and I probably won't add the Match amp at this point. I'm really pleased.

At this point, I don't see the need to add the Match AMP with DSP or swap out the subs.

The installer did point out that both front doors were missing the screw that's behind the door handle trim piece. And that there was no insulation or sound deadening material behind the front door speakers. He didn't charge me to add some of this material in-between the speaker and outer door.

I've seen a lot of discussion around BavSound and Focal, but not much on Match speakers. They are definitely a significant improvement worth considering and similarly priced to the BavSound option.
Match is definitely a great choice as well. They are a German company. Right?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:40 PM   #74
olneymd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3; 2022 X5 45e (soon)

yes, Match is a German company.
Appreciate 1
FCX52380.50
      10-25-2021, 09:46 PM   #75
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Having heard the various options and the base HiFi on the X5, upgrading the speakers is so worth it. The Match DSP/amp is at least as good as the HK, if you ever go that route.

I would go with Match/Focal's/BavSound over the Chinese B&W any day of the week....I was told the Chinese grey market speakers use whatever parts they can get (substituting local parts for the imported ones that they often don't have access to). So they might look the same, but might not perform to OEM specs. My 2 cents worth...

Last edited by FCX5; 10-26-2021 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 05:03 AM   #76
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Having heard the various options and the base HiFi on the X5, upgrading the speakers is so worth it. The Match DSP/amp is at least as good as the HK, if you ever go that route.

I would go with Match/Focal's/BavSound over the Chinese B&W any day of the week....I was told the Chinese grey market speakers use whatever parts they can get (substituting local parts for the imported ones that they often don't have access to). So they might look the same, but might not perform to OEM specs. My 2 cents worth...
So...what I'm afraid of...with IDrive and all of our electronics...is adding an amp (like Match)...and screwing some of the electronics up...throwing a gremlin into my system for the rest of the days..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:16 AM   #77
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Quote:

So...what I'm afraid of...with IDrive and all of our electronics...is adding an amp (like Match)...and screwing some of the electronics up...throwing a gremlin into my system for the rest of the days..
Yeah. I would only do it by someone who knows their stuff. Although, when I was getting mine installed there was a new X7 getting a full system installed worth tens of thousands of dollars (what I was told). So I doubt the amp/DSP is doing anything other than playing music. But I can see how that could mess with the iDrive menus and tone control etc. For 99% just the speaker upgrade should be fine. Based on loaner experience, the HiFi systems main downfall are the cheap speakers. My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #78
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
Yeah. I would only do it by someone who knows their stuff. Although, when I was getting mine installed there was a new X7 getting a full system installed worth tens of thousands of dollars (what I was told). So I doubt the amp/DSP is doing anything other than playing music. But I can see how that could mess with the iDrive menus and tone control etc. For 99% just the speaker upgrade should be fine. Based on loaner experience, the HiFi systems main downfall are the cheap speakers. My 2 cents.
As I understand it the Match Up 7DSP amp is connected in series after the factory RAM module... and powers the speakers through factory speaker wiring. It has not connection or impact on any of the other car electronics. The only connection points are -

1. Battery (power) -> Match UP 7DSP amp
2. OEM RAM module (speaker outputs/signal) -> Match UP 7DSP amp
2. Match UP 7DSP amp -> OEM (or upgrades) speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #79
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
Match UP is actually an amp name. The company is Audiotec-Fischer. They also make other amps, higher quality, but also larger and not as PnP - Helix, and Brax.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 04:17 PM   #80
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, the Match amp is down wind of the RAM module so no issues with interfering with the iDrive. That said, I was concerned about the increased battery consumption when I installed my amp, perhaps that might set off some alarms, but so far after several months no issues. Note that the amp has a auto-off setting that turns off the amp within seconds of not getting a signal so no worries about a drain on the battery once you leave the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 05:05 PM   #81
bandersen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well...the BavSound speakers are definitely SOLID - heavy/well built, and night and day above my original HiFi speakers...but, after 20 hours in the car with them...I'm struggling to hear that much of an improvement Think I definitely need 'more power', Scotty.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #82
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
I have the HK speakers since I upgraded mine to Focal's. There is a big difference in the build quality between HK and base HiFi.

Here is what the HK from my X5 looked like. Someone posted what the base HiFi look like…
Are you selling them?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:25 PM   #83
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Y

I doubt the amp/DSP is doing anything other than playing music.
ha, well I'd say with digital audio there's no such thing as just playing the music

DACs just in & of themselves are a such a massive area one could spend the next 5 years studying it all and still not know it well. And then there's the amps, and then there's the drivers, and then there's the design of the acoustic space, and then there's your ears.

Add it all up and there's no there's no universally great sounding system, especially since, past a certain level of fidelity, everything becomes a preference for escalating costs & diminishing returns.

All of that said, given very nice "budget" headphone systems will cost you $2-$3k minimum (arguably you can do it <$1k), even a B&W system at $3400 probably isn't very special on any absolute scale, so if that's what we mean by "just playing the music" then I"m in!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #84
bandersen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the Match amp is down wind of the RAM module so no issues with interfering with the iDrive. That said, I was concerned about the increased battery consumption when I installed my amp, perhaps that might set off some alarms, but so far after several months no issues. Note that the amp has a auto-off setting that turns off the amp within seconds of not getting a signal so no worries about a drain on the battery once you leave the car.
Sorry guys for this stupid question..but, where exactly do they install the amp? Trunk area?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #85
KLCC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: x40i BMW individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Sorry guys for this stupid question..but, where exactly do they install the amp? Trunk area?
correct me if I am wrong, don't they install the amp by the left side trunk area via first aid panel?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #86
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The RAM module is mounted behind the door on left side of the cargo area. I placed my amp just below it in the styrofoam tray. It fits snuggly in there along with excess power/ground cables. The cargo cover can still be stowed over it when not in use. I was concerned about heat given the amp isn't mounted on a bracket but I checked it several times after long drives and found the RAM module to be hotter than the amp. Better would be to find a bracket to piggyback onto the RAM bracket if someone knows of one.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #87
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
The RAM module is mounted behind the door on left side of the cargo area. I placed my amp just below it in the styrofoam tray. It fits snuggly in there along with excess power/ground cables. The cargo cover can still be stowed over it when not in use. I was concerned about heat given the amp isn't mounted on a bracket but I checked it several times after long drives and found the RAM module to be hotter than the amp. Better would be to find a bracket to piggyback onto the RAM bracket if someone knows of one.
The Bimmertech installation videos they show the included BMW bracket that the Matchamp slides into. Starting at minute 2:00

I think you want these parts...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_3063

65152449571 Bracket RAM / LTE
07119901299 Hex head screw
07147154447 C-clip nut, self-locking
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #88
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I saw that one, my amp is directly from Audiotech and didn't come with a mounting bracket that piggybacks on the RAM bracket. I suspect I'll need to fabricate one from a universal bracket.
Appreciate 0