BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

AWD vs RWD? Test drove RWD X5

The local dealership only had X5 RWD to test drive as they didn't have AWD X5. The dealership said there's no major difference between both and asked me to go ahead and buy what they have on the lot. I think that was more of a Sales tactic.

Any thoughts on your experience between RWD and AWD?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

An X-drive vehicle weighs more, is more complicated, and costs more, but makes the most out of whatever traction there may be. Most people never take their vehicle off-road, but the X-drive is actually fairly capable. It also will handle a curve and funky surfaces better. It makes tire replacement trickier (as it does for any all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle), as the rolling diameter of all tires must be fairly close, so if you damage one and the others are worn more than a little, it may mean replacing all of them.

Driving those extra two wheels also means it's a little less efficient, although, Audi seems to say that a driven wheel has less drag than one being pushed or pulled, and with good design, that can offset most of it.

Personally, on day-to-day driving, you may not notice, as the bias on X-drive is towards the rear until the front needs extra grip, or the rears are slipping. If you get into a situation where it would be useful, the difference can be significant, but a lot of that also depends on what tires you have on the thing.

SO, yes, I think they're trying to sell you their stock sitting on their lot. It's not a bad choice, but may not be your best choice, depending on what you want to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
BobTX10
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 G05, 2023 M340i

Where are you located? Living in south Texas RWD is not an issue for me. Handles fine in the rain, but being somewhere where the winters are rough I would probably advise going for x drive to help with traction.
Appreciate 1
Dhillon63141.00
      10-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
The local dealership only had X5 RWD to test drive as they didn't have AWD X5. The dealership said there's no major difference between both and asked me to go ahead and buy what they have on the lot. I think that was more of a Sales tactic.

Any thoughts on your experience between RWD and AWD?
Unless you plan on muddin or road trips through the mountains in winter like for skiing (but why not just rent for that?), there's not a lot of places in Texas where you'd need the winter traction of xDrive.

I'd get the sDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 08:32 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wet, sandy roads, and X-drive can be useful...the winter storm that pretty much closed TX down earlier this year, X-drive could have been useful. In the eastern areas, throw a hurricane in, and the roads can be muddy, too. Often, you can avoid going out, but if you need to, it can be useful. Only you can decide.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

The Sales Advisor guy was a jerk although I told him that I wanted a 45e, he said go with 40i as it's better than any other X5 and get more MPG (that's because he only had that in his lot).
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Given the choice of a 40i and a 45e, I'd go for the 45e, and I did. Also, depending on your tax status, with the federal $7500 tax credit, it can be less expensive to buy, too. Not everyone will qualify for the full credit, depending on income and tax status.

Dealers almost always try to sell you what they have on the lot...quicker and more profit for them as they're not paying interest (if they didn't pay cash for the thing) on the thing sitting there.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 09:39 PM   #8
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What this guy has on his lot is irrelevant. 40i, 45e, m50i, xdrive or sdrive, get exactly what you want and nothing else. There are hundreds of BMW dealerships in the country, you can buy from any of them through email.

Get exactly what you want, ignore what this 1 dealership has.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 10:01 PM   #9
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
What this guy has on his lot is irrelevant. 40i, 45e, m50i, xdrive or sdrive, get exactly what you want and nothing else. There are hundreds of BMW dealerships in the country, you can buy from any of them through email.

Get exactly what you want, ignore what this 1 dealership has.
True though sounds like the dealer might be motivated, so if I was good with his lot car, I'd go for a decent hunk off MSRP ... after all, all of our cars are just 24 hours away from being lot cars ...

Course it's hard to beat -$7500 ...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 04:56 AM   #10
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

45e v 40i, x-drive v s-drive - all preference matters that shouldn't be dictated by what the salesman has on the lot.

There is a lot more to the engine and drivetrain than "this was all they had". It's not like a colour or some minor option that you're being asked to compromise on which won't make a huge difference to you.

Do some research, figure out what suits you best and don't compromise on the big things.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
Mynoles1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 s40i M-Sport

I am in Texas and while the once in a decade winter storm will occur, it certainly did not persuade me to get the XDrive this year when I bought my 40i. I have the SDrive and it is great. Had an "X" previously and it was really great in the rain and would be during hurricane's, but really, how often do you need to drive in that? I have a F150 for that
Appreciate 0