BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2021, 12:10 AM   #1
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Pre-production idrive demo (front page) X5 image

Does this mean pre-LCI G05 is getting idrive 8 soon or it means nothing?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 04:09 AM   #2
Atlantis8000
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45E

iDrive 8 is already seen in the iX model. I don't think an upgrade will come for iDrive 7.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Does a car need touchscreen climate controls to run iDrive 8, like the i4 or ix? I thought that was coming on the LCI.

Even if it doesn't, Autogefuhl found it worse than 7. I'm not sure if it's an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I consider this another reason to keep the current one …. This is very radical and the current buttons and layout is what I am used to from the different BMWs I have.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101164.00
cellarrat515.50
      10-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #5
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't like what I've seen of iDrive 8 so far. One of the reasons I bought the x5 is because the interior layout and the physical buttons is, in my opinion, really well executed. iDrive 8 feels like a step backwards to me.

I also saw the Autogefuhl review, and he joked that the interface reminded him of Windows 95. Frankly, I don't think he's far off.

Lastly, I absolutely hate the "iPad glued to the dash" look. In the G05 the center screen implementation doesn't look like it was an afterthought, and feels well integrated. The screen in the iX straight up looks like they forgot to include an instrument cluster and added it last minute. That being said BMW is not the only one guilty of this, and of course it's personal preference.

I don't want to go as far as saying that iDrive 8 would keep me from considering a car, but I think the iX with iDrive 7 would've been awesome.
Appreciate 6
      10-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #6
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

Maybe we can finally get to pick more ambient light colors...
Appreciate 1
1230vani648.50
      10-26-2021, 03:38 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The G05 already has a touchscreen...sometimes, these upgrades require additional or different hardware...do not know if that's the case on the current G05.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

idrive 8 is coming to the G05 (imo and there are some spy shots and articles confirming it). The only thing I am wondering if it will be coming before LCI or introduced for the LCI. This image shows the current (non LCI) G05 so I was thinking it may be introduced mid 2022).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #9
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM
I consider this another reason to keep the current one …. This is very radical and the current buttons and layout is what I am used to from the different BMWs I have.
yep same. idrive 7 does everything I want it to, and works just fine.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 08:47 PM   #10
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Maybe One of the reasons I bought the x5 is because the interior layout and the physical buttons is, in my opinion, really well executed. iDrive 8 feels like a step backwards to me.

[…] Lastly, I absolutely hate the "iPad glued to the dash" look. In the G05 the center screen implementation doesn't look like it was an afterthought, and feels well integrated.
Totally agree with you on all of the above! iDrive 7 is just awesome - the only thing I wish they upgraded is the nav system, which has significant room for improvement. Other than that, iDrive 7 is very capable and has a helpful, mostly intuitive and smooth GUI, IMHO.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post

The G05 already has a touchscreen...sometimes, these upgrades require additional or different hardware...do not know if that's the case on the current G05.
The funny thing is, apparently there's going to be a "genius" option to disable the touchscreen:
  • Another genius "option": the new dashboard will be available with the touch screen function disabled. Will be seen first in the 2023 G42.
Appreciate 1
1230vani648.50
      10-27-2021, 12:07 AM   #12
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

The funny thing is, apparently there's going to be a "genius" option to disable the touchscreen:
  • Another genius "option": the new dashboard will be available with the touch screen function disabled. Will be seen first in the 2023 G42.
lol I actually want this option. I HATE fingerprints on the touchscreen. This way I could disable the touchscreen and tell my wife it doesn't work anymore
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18116.50
      10-27-2021, 12:22 AM   #13
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
Quote:
Maybe One of the reasons I bought the x5 is because the interior layout and the physical buttons is, in my opinion, really well executed. iDrive 8 feels like a step backwards to me.

[…] Lastly, I absolutely hate the "iPad glued to the dash" look. In the G05 the center screen implementation doesn't look like it was an afterthought, and feels well integrated.
Totally agree with you on all of the above! iDrive 7 is just awesome - the only thing I wish they upgraded is the nav system, which has significant room for improvement. Other than that, iDrive 7 is very capable and has a helpful, mostly intuitive and smooth GUI, IMHO.
I tried to use the BMW nav system when I first got the car, but I found that there were a lot of little things that kept bothering me. TBH I don't even remember what they were anymore, but it made me miss Google Maps so I switched back. For me Google Maps is one of those things where you don't realize how well it's laid out until you use something else.

I know a lot of people also use Waze. I haven't used it but I imagine it's a similar scenario. I just wish the Maps/Waze integration with iDrive was a bit better. For example I really like how the map shows up in the center of the instrument cluster with BMW nav. But I guess you can't have everything...
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #14
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know a lot of people also use Waze. I haven't used it but I imagine it's a similar scenario. I just wish the Maps/Waze integration with iDrive was a bit better. For example I really like how the map shows up in the center of the instrument cluster with BMW nav. But I guess you can't have everything...
I'd use Google Maps but I love the map on the HUD too much. So I end up using iDrive nav as much as possible.

Google won't even send directions to the HUD, much less the map? I know Apple at least sends the directions.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #15
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
I'd use Google Maps but I love the map on the HUD too much. So I end up using iDrive nav as much as possible.

Google won't even send directions to the HUD, much less the map? I know Apple at least sends the directions.
Really? Now I'm questioning my own memory. I'll try Google Maps later but I thought directions were in the HUD.

And agreed, I would love for the map to show up in the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #16
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post

Really? Now I'm questioning my own memory. I'll try Google Maps later but I thought directions were in the HUD.

And agreed, I would love for the map to show up in the HUD.
I run Google maps all the time and it does show directions but doesn't show the pretty graphics like freeway exits. It doesn't show anything more than directions in the main display either
      10-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #17
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
I run Google maps all the time and it does show directions but doesn't show the pretty graphics like freeway exits. It doesn't show anything more than directions in the main display either
Yep, that's what I get as well. Not as good as the BMW HUD display, but I guess it's something.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:04 AM   #18
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

lol I actually want this option. I HATE fingerprints on the touchscreen. This way I could disable the touchscreen and tell my wife it doesn't work anymore
Me too: I hate fingerprints on the touchscreen, to the point that I carry a bottle of interior detailing spray and a MF towel in a ziploc in the side pocket of the driver's door to clean the touchscreen if I see smudges or fingerprints on it! Yes, I guess you may say a little OCD, but hey - I just can't stand them!
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 12:11 AM   #19
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I tried to use the BMW nav system when I first got the car, but I found that there were a lot of little things that kept bothering me. TBH I don't even remember what they were anymore, but it made me miss Google Maps so I switched back. For me Google Maps is one of those things where you don't realize how well it's laid out until you use something else.

My favorite navigation app is Waze, because of its GUI and crowdsourced "situational awareness" features, but I do not use it as my primary nav system on the X5 because it would not show on the HUD, so I have this weird hybrid setup with BMW nav on the HUD and Waze on my iPhone running in parallel with no preset destination, just to show alerts for cops or road hazards. I really wish they let Waze show up on the HUD so that would be all I use.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 12:36 AM   #20
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Me too: I hate fingerprints on the touchscreen, to the point that I carry a bottle of interior detailing spray and a MF towel in a ziploc in the side pocket of the driver's door to clean the touchscreen if I see smudges or fingerprints on it! Yes, I guess you may say a little OCD, but hey - I just can't stand them!
When my wife and I were dating and she found out that I carry around QD spray and MF towels in the trunk, there was a moment where I thought she was going to leave me.

She still laughs at me when I grab it to wipe something down in the middle of a parking lot.
Appreciate 2
1230vani648.50
      10-28-2021, 05:49 AM   #21
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When my wife and I were dating and she found out that I carry around QD spray and MF towels in the trunk, there was a moment where I thought she was going to leave me.

She still laughs at me when I grab it to wipe something down in the middle of a parking lot.
Hehehe, exactly the same for me! Not to mention when I use some QD spray to wipe off fingerprints from the shiny black frame of the front passenger door on the side of the window (that my wife or my daughter are used to pushing on when they shut the door)…
Appreciate 1