BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #111
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Just got back from a 1000-mile road trip in the Upper Peninsula (Michigan). You know what I didn't see? A single Tesla. Because there are literally no superchargers in the entire U.P. I see a few "planned" but yeah right. I can't go exploring the world tethered to an invisible electric cord and confined to narrow corridors of the US interstates.

So that's why the 45e is great. Because you can save $1000 /year on gas, and drive wherever you want to. With a sweet I6 under the hood. Best of both worlds, in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      11-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #112
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
This 35 mpg was on the highway? Crazy.
Yes. Round trip from Houston to Seattle and back, with big city driving in Seattle, Portland and Denver plus lots of medium-size cities such as Durango and Santa Fe.
I currently have the F15 40e for my wife's daily commute of 25 miles R/T and a 330e for local trips to stores and restaurants. I took the 330e to Greenville for the BMW one-day school and it returned 45 MPG over the 2000 mi R/T, with mostly Interstate 70 MPH. I made the trip back in one long day and the average speed was 80.1 MPH (330e is a good stealth car).
My wife does her commute (to Bridge center) with mode selector in e-power, only, on the city streets and shifts to gasoline power for the 5 miles, each way, when she is on I-69. She does the changeover at about 60 MPH and is NEVER accelleration-limited in ePower on city streets. On the contrary, she is usually the fastes off the line (she is an agressive driver). The 330e is almost always in e-power, only, and once again; I'm usually the first off the line and up the road, when the other cars catch up as I hold the 35 MPH speed limit and they go to 50 MPH. Except for the 2000 mile trip, I fill the tank twice a year because of trips to/from the airport. The good thing about having electric for around town is I never feel guilty about accelerating the wear on the ICE because of running an engine on a short trip and never getting the engine up to temp. My wife's 40e doesn't have this problem because the 5 miles of Interstate does get the engine up to temp.
I DO NOT think I have the optimum mix of vehicles. In my 330e, I lug around an ICE that I don't need. It replaced an i3 that I sold because of it's coal cart-like ride on inner Houston's potholed streets. It's 60 mile range was more than adequate for my use because I have an at-home 7.5 KW charger. But, from a purely financial consideration, neither the i3 or 330e make sense because of their cost. It would cost me less to have bought a pure ICE of comparable size but much lower cost (such as a VW Golf) and paid for the gas for the (exclusive of the 2000 mi trip) 2000 miles I put on it in a year. I want my wife in a high ground clearance vehicle because her daily route takes her through several intersections that flood with 12" of water in the heavy rainstorms and poor street drainage that Houston gets a half-dozen times a year. The X5 has a 20" fording capability. With the $4K Federal tax credit and $2500 TX Grant, the cost for the 40e was about the same as for a pure ICE mid-size SUV and the fuel savings are gravy.

So, for me, the ideal mix is a PHEV SUV with at least 30 mi electric range and an all-electric car costing about $30K after tax credits. With that mix, I'll use about two tanks of gas a year (exclusive of long trips), will have a long-trip vehicle that gets very good fuel economy when I'm on those trips, and a short trip car for groceries/restaurants. We live in one of the downtown areas of Houston. Both of my current car's leases toll in mid/late 2020 and that's the mix I will be shopping for. Come 2023, I might consider an all-electric for long trips; but only if the charging rates and infrastructure are there.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #113
Wohlf
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

45e looks perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
This doesn't make sense to me. So the 45e (5.6s 0-60mph) is slower than 40i (5.3s 0-60mph)? Shouldn't it be 35e or 38e?

Given we already have Tesla Model X for 2 years and Benz munch launched all electric EQC and Audi has all electric suv about to launch (not to mention Jag ipace) I have to say I am not impressed. Yeah it's an improvement over the F15 40e but it's just an evolutionary update when the revolution has already happened.

Am I the only one feeling this way?
I am on my second X5 40e. Lease ended and the 45e was not out yet. Interestingly my electric range on my 2018 is 20% greater than my 2016. It is winter here in Minnesota--worst conditions for EVs. Here are some thoughts:

- I like the freedom of a Hybrid vs a pure EV. Road trips only happen a couple times a year, but the ability to not worry about charging is nice.

-I like the power delivery of the 40e better than the traditional 6. I don't feel .3 seconds of reduce 0-60 performance, but I feel the instant torque of EV off the line very time.

-I love the absolute quiet of EV mode when running errands.

-When in EV mode, if I floor it, the gas engine kicks in instantly.

-I get gas once a month and average 44mpg in December in Minnesota. A 50% reduction in the hassle and cost of the gas station is a bonus.

-There are charging stations all over town now. At the mall, at the grocery store, at the stadium, at the airport and they are often free. Plus they are usually right up front--rock star parking.

-The dynamics of the hybrid are seamless. Absolutely no downside. The brakes do feel different, but actually you can modulate regeneration easily and it gives you a lot of control that normal brakes don't offer. When I stop I now instinctively reiterate power as much as possible.

-14 miles per charge x 365 days is 5100 miles, but with recharging g during the day at stops, I increase that by 50%.

-Frankly after having owned two 40e I can not understand why anybody would choose the non hybrid.

-$4000+ federal tax credit.

-I did not install anything in my garage. I use straight 120 out of the wall. It takes 7 hours vs 2.5 with a 240volt charger, but I am sleeping and it works fine. The public stations are all fast chargers, so even 30 minutes adds meaningful miles.

-If the 45e really has 2,5x the range--it will be the perfect vehicle. Enough range to nearly always drive EV if you want + the convenience of traditional gas when you need it. Once you get use to the quietness, smoothness and immediacy of electric power off the line, it is hard to go back. The best of both worlds.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      12-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #114
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I wish the 45e was out, would have totally bought one, but the loaner 40e I had I could not have lived with between the 4 banger and the sub 20 mile electric range, just missed the mark for me. The new one with a smooth better sounding 6 and 50 mile range, I would have been all over that, maybe next time I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #115
Lighthouse
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330 Cic - E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I wish the 45e was out, would have totally bought one, but the loaner 40e I had I could not have lived with between the 4 banger and the sub 20 mile electric range, just missed the mark for me. The new one with a smooth better sounding 6 and 50 mile range, I would have been all over that, maybe next time I guess.
I agree. Does any BMW insider have any further intelligence on when the 45e will appear in the US market?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #116
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
I agree. Does any BMW insider have any further intelligence on when the 45e will appear in the US market?
Last I heard late 19 as 2020 model.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #117
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
it would be much more efficient than gas. i can't understand why there isn't a single hybrid diesel from any manufacturer.
Audi Q7 e-tron 3.0 TDI plug-in hybrid
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      12-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #118
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
BMW needs to produce 400 mile electric car today, not push off the moment they need to retool their factories as far into future as possible, but lead with more than the i3. Which broke down on me twice, btw. Other opinions mate. They do exist. Their efforts to date in electric are pathetic. Imagine they actually invested into making better batteries instead of selling you mood lighting in the interior and making cringey movies about "m - town". Wtf.
400 miles range means nothing if there is no decent charging infrastructure, charging takes hours and as long as all the diesel assholes see charging points as their free long term parking spots (at least here it's a very common sight, mentality needs to change). In warm(er) weather, my 530e drives arounf 40km in full electric mode with means that 70% of my daily commute is in electric mode and the average fuel consumption is around 2.4l/100km. Of the total of 57000km, I did 21500 in electric mode. And when I'm on a cross europe trip of 1500km, I don't need to plan 3 days for it. Best of both worlds and now with the 80km range, life will be sweet. Like Clarkson said: current electric vehicles are like the first laptops, cool but cumbersome.

To each his own, I guess...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #119
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
it would be much more efficient than gas. i can't understand why there isn't a single hybrid diesel from any manufacturer.
Audi Q7 e-tron 3.0 TDI plug-in hybrid
Awesome. Hopefully coming to the US.
      12-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #120
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCompromise View Post
I have a Panamera eHybrid (current model) that does "30 miles" electric (really depends on speed, gradient and temperature). I drive this to the train station everyday (sub 10 miles return journey) so drive petrol free all week (free electricity at the train station). At the weekend, fire up the Sports mode and you have a car that will beat 99% off the lights to 30, and 85% to 60. It's the best of a lot of worlds.

The issue with the X5 is that a) it does not come with 7 seats/smaller boot space (I have confirmed this with BMW) and b) it adds considerable weight to a high center of gravity. That said, if you have one car that needs to do a weekly commute and be useful at the weekend to cart kids but don't need all the space then surely a no brainer?

Otherwise, buy 1 electric car for the commute and 1 uncompromised x5 for the weekend (handles better, more eco out of town, more boot space etc.). Very much looking forward to the 40i in January!
Assuming that going to the train station meas going to work by train:
Did the Porsche dealer ommit to tell you that charging spots are not parking spots? Occuping a charging spot for the whole day is so cool and for sure not egoistic to others who would need a bit of charge too
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 03:29 AM   #121
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

MWAHAHAAHAH. *Laughs in Australian. Native 240V
Appreciate 0