BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-24-2020, 12:22 AM   #1
Ben_GK
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Dealer not offering any discount off 2020 X40i- ridiculous?

Talked to BMW Seattle dealership over the weekend, asked what incentives they could offer on custom 2020 X40i build (MSRP $92k as built with almost all options checked). They said they do not give % off MSRP for custom builds, only ~ $5k off lot inventory. They were also pretty snarky and said not to get my advice and incentive benchmarks off of this forum "They've been in the business over 6 years and know better than any forum".

Anyone dealt with them before and had success negotiating on custom build? Any other PNW dealers who are better to work with? BTW, longtime lurker, first time posting!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Just walk away and go back to them with your final deal from another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_GK View Post
Talked to BMW Seattle dealership over the weekend, asked what incentives they could offer on custom 2020 X40i build (MSRP $92k as built with almost all options checked). They said they do not give % off MSRP for custom builds, only ~ $5k off lot inventory. They were also pretty snarky and said not to get my advice and incentive benchmarks off of this forum "They've been in the business over 6 years and know better than any forum".

Anyone dealt with them before and had success negotiating on custom build? Any other PNW dealers who are better to work with? BTW, longtime lurker, first time posting!
What a bunch of crap. Contact another dealer.

Last June I went to one of my two local dealers (in Milwaukee) to order a 2020 40i with a similar MSRP to yours and was told the same BS about paying full MSRP on a custom order. I shopped it; called some Chicago area dealers who all opened with 6-7% off. Then contacted my other local dealership who offered something like 8-9% off before incentives and I ordered with them.

It's 2020 - you can transact online and order over the phone with any dealer in the country and have it shipped right to you if the numbers are right. Why some dealers play these games I will never know...
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Historically it seems Washington dealers have offered the lowest discounts of any region. Usually you can get them to a 3-5% discount. My guess is that they are trying to push their current inventory so that is why you are getting told what you are.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #5
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_GK View Post

I was offered 9% before any incentives and I thought that was bad lol. My local dealer has over 70 40i X5's in stock. Total discount was about 17.5% after incentives but I'm still waiting a bit to see if i could do better. Incentives vary by location too. Cash allowance is 3500 in Texas but 2500 in California, for example. If you need a contact just let me know. This is in Austin though.
      06-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
JerZBMerLife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X6  [0.00]
I'm lucky that NYC metro has at least 9 BMW dealers; so I was able to shop around and get a good deal. I told my wife that I'm prepared to drive a few hours away if needed. I agree with others that you should expand your search to other states and possibly ship to your location. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #7
Ben_GK
Rep

Thanks!

Thanks all for the great tips and suggestions. Sounds like I'll be expanding my search beyond WA. I think I've now missed the window to custom order a 2020 MY with the options I wanted, so looks like I'll be waiting to see if they bring back more of the options on the 2021 X40is once supply chains start up again.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Some dealers just don’t care if you buy from them or not. They would rather make a lot on each vehicle than a little on many vehicles plus gaining customers for their service area. Not much your can do: the salesman/women follow the orders of the dealer principal, who does whatever the heck they want. It’s difficult to explain the finer points of capitalism to them, and if they have been unable to understand how the ubiquity of Internet access has made single markets obsolete then you’re probably better off buying elsewhere anyway.
Appreciate 1
EX0070.00
      06-26-2020, 09:36 PM   #9
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

I also live in Seattle and fwiw I purchased my last 2 BMWs, including my 2019 custom build X5 40i, from BMW of Bend Oregon. Did both deals completely via email with very little back & forth negotiating. It was a little over a year ago so my memory is a bit faded, but iirc the discount was 10+%. They offered to have the car delivered to me, but I chose to pick it up so I could do a proper inspection, etc. Plus the drive there and back is pretty nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:13 PM   #10
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

That's insane. I've done 4 custom builds and have always been able to get a decent discount before incentives in LA. As everyone said find another dealer that wants to play ball.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Many years ago, my wife was trading in her college Cavalier, and buying her first "new" car.... a Mazda3.

We spent FIVE HOURS at the dealer...... and in the end, they were trying to screw her on the price of the car, as well as the value of her trade. After 5 hours, we walked.

We drove 30 minutes away..... found the EXACT same car (same options, even the same color)..... for $2500 less out-the-door. And, the dealer was awesome... and got us out of there in under 2 hours.... paperwork and all.

We drove her new car...... with the window sticker still in the window..... back to the first dealer. My wife thought there just HAD to be something "better" about the first car, hence, the reason it was $2500 more.

There wasn't. Not one single option. We went line by line down both window stickers, matched up all the options..... parked right next to the car we walked away from.... and waved to the 3 salesman standing inside the dealership watching us..... but of course, wouldn't come out to talk to us again.

F that dealership. Walk away and go to another one. I actually found what he said to you as insulting. I'd never step foot in that place again.
Appreciate 3
jphcbpa310.00
EX0070.00
      07-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #12
Ben_GK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlou View Post
I also live in Seattle and fwiw I purchased my last 2 BMWs, including my 2019 custom build X5 40i, from BMW of Bend Oregon. Did both deals completely via email with very little back & forth negotiating. It was a little over a year ago so my memory is a bit faded, but iirc the discount was 10+%. They offered to have the car delivered to me, but I chose to pick it up so I could do a proper inspection, etc. Plus the drive there and back is pretty nice.
Thanks! Will definitely check them out. I think we missed the window to get 2020 MY X5 40i with all the options we wanted, so hoping some of the options that are missing from FY 21 builds become available again down the road...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
Some dealers just don’t care if you buy from them or not. They would rather make a lot on each vehicle than a little on many vehicles plus gaining customers for their service area. Not much your can do: the salesman/women follow the orders of the dealer principal, who does whatever the heck they want. It’s difficult to explain the finer points of capitalism to them, and if they have been unable to understand how the ubiquity of Internet access has made single markets obsolete then you’re probably better off buying elsewhere anyway.
Correct! Some dealers prefer sell less but more profit other selling thousands of cars but less profit.

Individual oder is always a different story. Most dealer prefer selling from the lot. Less work, quick turnaround.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Correct! Some dealers prefer sell less but more profit other selling thousands of cars but less profit.

Individual oder is always a different story. Most dealer prefer selling from the lot. Less work, quick turnaround.
I think it is the opposite, dealers would rather sell custom ordered vehicles since there is little to no risk/ usage of capital. At least that is what I was told.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #15
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I think it is the opposite, dealers would rather sell custom ordered vehicles since there is little to no risk/ usage of capital. At least that is what I was told.
Well, there's always a usage of capital, unless the customer pays for the entire car up front! The car will always have to be paid for by the dealership before the customer then pays them.

My guess is that the dealer's preference for custom orders over lot sales would depend a lot of the kind of custom order customers they have. If someone custom orders a car and then backs out, the dealer is left with a custom ordered car that may be difficult to sell due to the combination of options, colours, etc. (For example, we might think that a car with the M differential is fabulous, but try convincing someone coming onto the lot to buy that car for a few grand over one without it if they don't actually care about racing-style performance.)

Additionally, dealers know that people who are custom ordering cars really, really want that car. Therefore they may feel that they are in a better position to ask for more money to get the customer that bespoke vehicle. They may offer larger discounts on lot cars, on the other hand, because they are paying interest on the car if it sits on the lot and because they are trying to convince the buyer to get a car that is available and not a custom one.

Either way, dealers will do what they think nets them the most money. It is the way of dealers. They're in this for the money first, love of BMW cars a distant second!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:03 PM   #16
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Why would you prefer to sell something which you need to oder, change couple times etc. over something you have already in house good to go and need to get rid of?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Why would you prefer to sell something which you need to oder, change couple times etc. over something you have already in house good to go and need to get rid of?
You are missing a big part of the process. How do you think they got on the lot? They had to order them and their resources are tied up as long as the vehicle is on the lot. With custom orders it is a much quicker turnaround.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:39 AM   #18
mrracer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 s40i

I'm surprised dealers don't push the Performance Center Delivery more. Customer orders vehicle, pays for vehicle at completion and then picks up the vehicle at factory. The dealer never has to touch the vehicle and additional cost associated with that.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #19
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrracer View Post
I'm surprised dealers don't push the Performance Center Delivery more. Customer orders vehicle, pays for vehicle at completion and then picks up the vehicle at factory. The dealer never has to touch the vehicle and additional cost associated with that.
and the dealer misses potential opportunity to sell high margin add ons such as additional coverage, maintenance, tire insurance etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #20
produhktiv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i First Edition

Garage List
2021 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2019 M850i  [0.00]
On PCD delivery, there is an issue where dealers miss out volume and tier $'s (not sure what those are exactly or how they work), but sounds like that could limit what some (smaller) dealers are willing to do. I had a a scenario where a dealer I was working with wanted 1% less discount to do a PCD delivery. Did NOT go with that dealer ultimately.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #21
mrracer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 s40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_08 View Post
and the dealer misses potential opportunity to sell high margin add ons such as additional coverage, maintenance, tire insurance etc.
They still try to sell all the add-ons, at least that was the case for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 05:43 PM   #22
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrracer View Post
Dealer does it when you finalize and sign/complete the deal before taking PCD delivery - one to two weeks before your scheduled PCD delivery date.

Appreciate 0