BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #23
PilotNYC
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Do both, you're already removing one so may as well remove the other. No point in risking anything. Just have to set the date and time if I recall correctly. It's all plug and play. I'll add a close-up photo in a bit.

Here's a close up
Hi, i also ordered the three parts and I'm installing over the weekend on my 2020 X5. Thank you for the pictures and instructions. Regarding the battery, do we have to disconnect two batteries? Are both located in the rear of the car? Reading some of the posts, there is conflicting information: some say a small battery is in the front of the vehicle and another commenter said that both batteries are in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 10:59 PM   #24
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotNYC View Post
Quote:
Do both, you're already removing one so may as well remove the other. No point in risking anything. Just have to set the date and time if I recall correctly. It's all plug and play. I'll add a close-up photo in a bit.

Here's a close up
Hi, i also ordered the three parts and I'm installing over the weekend on my 2020 X5. Thank you for the pictures and instructions. Regarding the battery, do we have to disconnect two batteries? Are both located in the rear of the car? Reading some of the posts, there is conflicting information: some say a small battery is in the front of the vehicle and another commenter said that both batteries are in the rear.
As far as I know there are two. Big/main is in the trunk. Secondary, but two variants, is on the front left when looking at the engine (under the cover by the windshield). I had disconnected the rear battery but still had power to lights etc. So disconnect both to be safe.
      09-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #25
I've Seen Things
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 Msport 40i MY2020

Waiting for UK customs to clear my crystal set so haven't yet looked at battery disconnection. Though looking at this link : https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...der/1VncunMarg : sent from Martin @ Car Analysis, it shows part of the process involves disconnecting the windscreen wipers and using a special tool to do so lol. I'm guessing you would only need to do this if you are removing the battery......I hope
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #26
PilotNYC
Rep

Quote:
As far as I know there are two. Big/main is in the trunk. Secondary, but two variants, is on the front left when looking at the engine (under the cover by the windshield). I had disconnected the rear battery but still had power to lights etc. So disconnect both to be safe.
Thank you. You are correct, I have tow batteries, the main one in the boot/rear of the car, for which you have to remove the pins/plastic part and the other smaller battery in the front under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #27
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 G05

Almost a disaster....

I was trying to be careful of removing the multimedia knob but while trying to pry the ring off, the whole top came off. Which make it easy for me to remove the two adhesives (top one with the arrows and another double sided piece).

That was pretty easy, but while attempting to put it back (i did not remove the battery). While trying to slide the ribbon cable back to the touchpad, i saw some smoke, So I stopped. Got in the car, start it and see if my center console still works. I can change the gear, go forward and backwards.

So, I stopped. Now i don't have a touchpad. Rotary knob still works (thank God for the touchscreen).

Removing the battery connection in the back of the car looks like it is not a simple task and it is way too hot outside now. I may have to wait until this coming weekend so i can install the shift knob too.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #28
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolF15D2017 View Post
I was trying to be careful of removing the multimedia knob but while trying to pry the ring off, the whole top came off. Which make it easy for me to remove the two adhesives (top one with the arrows and another double sided piece).

That was pretty easy, but while attempting to put it back (i did not remove the battery). While trying to slide the ribbon cable back to the touchpad, i saw some smoke, So I stopped. Got in the car, start it and see if my center console still works. I can change the gear, go forward and backwards.

So, I stopped. Now i don't have a touchpad. Rotary knob still works (thank God for the touchscreen).

Removing the battery connection in the back of the car looks like it is not a simple task and it is way too hot outside now. I may have to wait until this coming weekend so i can install the shift knob too.
If I recall correctly there was only one sticker/pad to remove. The layer under it is the touch sensitive layer I believe.
      09-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #29
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I recall correctly there was only one sticker/pad to remove. The layer under it is the touch sensitive layer I believe.
I followed Martin's instructions and see attached picture. Second one, he just remove and it is on his fingers (hand). First one is top middle pic near the controller (inside up or upside down depends how you look at it). I saved it though, but we will see once i put them back in if the touch pad will work. Instructions said that if you don't remove it, it is not going to be flush.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #30
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think that i've found the fuse that can be removed rather than the car battery connectors. Fuse "F262" See attached pictures. But will tackle it this weekend have to go to work tomorrow til Friday.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ent/1VncvSrfBj
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 03:17 AM   #31
I've Seen Things
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hi timmahh, I've sent you a pm
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #32
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Fuse removal did not work

Quote:
I think that i've found the fuse that can be removed rather than the car battery connectors. Fuse "F262" See attached pictures. But will tackle it this weekend have to go to work tomorrow til Friday.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ent/1VncvSrfBj
I removed fuses F32 (Front passenger side) and F262(rear passenger side) but i am still getting power to the center console. Install fuses back on, and just remove the rear cover for battery and remove positive and negative side with 10m nut driver. Once removed no power at all whatsoever. End result see attached pics. Sorry car is dirty, lots of ashes in California (doors and trunk open), specially Bay area. Everything works, touch pad, writing recognition, etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1coolF15D2017; 09-12-2020 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: add more info
Appreciate 1
John H.221.00
      09-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #33
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Quote:
I removed fuses F32 (Front passenger side) and F262(rear passenger side) but i am still getting power to the center console. Install fuses back on, and just remove the rear cover for battery and remove positive and negative side with 10m nut driver. Once removed no power at all whatsoever. End result see attached pics. Sorry car is dirty, lots of ashes in California (doors and trunk open), specially Bay area. Everything works, touch pad, writing recognition, etc.
Where did you buy the crystal items and for how much?
Does the shifter X light up orange? If so, did you need to do anything in order for it to light up?

Feel free to PM me with info if you prefer. I much appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #34
ZuerstBMW
ĦViva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

they sell them on Amazon now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FD8G21B...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited by ZuerstBMW; 09-13-2020 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #35
I've Seen Things
Enlisted Member
Rep

Name:  Crystal Clarity.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  175.5 KB

So I installed my idrive controller & start/stop button - sorry not a very good picture but they look fantastic in the flesh.

Installing them was a breeze. The SS button came out in one tug and the controller was easier than I thought it would be, although I did find it easier to disconnect the controller rather than do it with the ribbon still attached. Really the hardest part is lining up the crystal touch-pad arrows with the arrows on the printed circuit board, it's as simple as that to be honest.

I had to return my gear shifter as it had a small defect, though Martin at Car-Analysis has been fantastic, the best after-sales support I've experienced in a long while! Now really looking forward to my replacement shifter to complete the mod.

Oh by the way, I got fed-up looking for a second battery so I called my local BMW dealer and spoke to the Parts guy who asked me for the vin number, he then was able to confirm that I had only the one battery.

Steve.
Appreciate 1
timmahh480.00
      09-20-2020, 11:46 PM   #36
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep

is the crystal shifter actually larger and does it feel bigger in the hand?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:50 PM   #37
PilotNYC
Rep

I installed my set (all three pieces, shift knob, rotary wheel and start button) last weekend and it wasn't difficult at all. The rotary wheel took a bit longer and it was the more difficult one but anyone who can follow instructions can install it. I would recommend that you disconnect the two batteries. The batteries are super easy to disconnect (you only need to disconnect the negative side)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:56 PM   #38
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotNYC View Post
I installed my set (all three pieces, shift knob, rotary wheel and start button) last weekend and it wasn't difficult at all. The rotary wheel took a bit longer and it was the more difficult one but anyone who can follow instructions can install it. I would recommend that you disconnect the two batteries. The batteries are super easy to disconnect (you only need to disconnect the negative side)
When you disconnect the batteries and later reconnect them, do you lose all your presets and my Bmw profile info that I have set up in my X5?

Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #39
I've Seen Things
Enlisted Member
Rep

There was a couple of minor things like the time & date etc, (I can't remember the others) but my profile was still all intact.

Steve.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #40
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted920 View Post
When you disconnect the batteries and later reconnect them, do you lose all your presets and my Bmw profile info that I have set up in my X5?

Just curious.
Good Question. I am curious as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #41
PilotNYC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted920 View Post

Just curious.
Sorry for the long delay. I did not lose any of the car settings. The time was date/time was correct once I plugged the negative terminal back as I had it to automatically set.

Last edited by PilotNYC; 10-02-2020 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 02:07 AM   #42
wolfverine
Private
Rep
Drives: iX 40 MSprt; X6 40i; 640iGC

10mins mod - took me longer than expected with couple of tries before I could pull it out.

Seems like this newer button with 3 clips has a tighter catch compared to the older version where there is only 2 clips (had the red start/stop for my G30).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #43
BimmerBoo01
Rep
Drives: X5

Failed touch replacement

Hello,
I tried to install the itouch glass replacement and had a bad outcome. I disconnected the cable, replaced it with the glass (per the video instructions), reconnected the cable and and everything was working escept the LEDs. I figured I had to tighten the connections so I disconnected the knob and tried to reseat the ribbon but was surprised with some smoke. The controller board for the touch pad I think is fried now. Anyone know if I can get a replacement unit for the controller board?

Wife is not happy
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #44
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoo01 View Post
Hello,
I tried to install the itouch glass replacement and had a bad outcome. I disconnected the cable, replaced it with the glass (per the video instructions), reconnected the cable and and everything was working escept the LEDs. I figured I had to tighten the connections so I disconnected the knob and tried to reseat the ribbon but was surprised with some smoke. The controller board for the touch pad I think is fried now. Anyone know if I can get a replacement unit for the controller board?

Wife is not happy
Awe man...did you disconnect the battery? I'm not sure about getting a replacement.