Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminahan View Post
I recently bought a 2022 X5 x40i that did not come with a space saving spare. I'm trying to understand the parts I need to order and if it will fit (stay secured). I do not think I have the luggage compartment option so I should not have the cross member.

Is the advice to use the parts department of Steve Thomas BMW (BMWPartsPro.com) to work with them to get a full parts list? I'd really like to have a spare regardless of keeping run-flats on my vehicle and if you order the valve stem, etc like was above does it come all fitted on the space saving spare? Basically if the spare ready to be mounted and so I can put it as is down in my compartment?
I can vouch that working with BMWPartsPro is an ideal way to pursue adding an OEM spacesaver tire. Always provide them with your VIN. The tire comes mounted on the wheel and install ready. Tools are extra.

There were the part numbers when I purchased the OEM spare:
Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
XSERIESMSPARE BMW OEM SPARE TIRE KIT $605.32 1 $605.32
Includes
36-11-6-880-744 Spare Wheel 1
36-12-1-116-326 Valve Stem 1
36-12-1-120-779 Valve Stem Cap 1
36-13-6-795-153 Wheel Bolt 5
36-14-1-095-389 Valve Stem Valve 1
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #46
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminahan View Post
I recently bought a 2022 X5 x40i that did not come with a space saving spare. I'm trying to understand the parts I need to order and if it will fit (stay secured). I do not think I have the luggage compartment option so I should not have the cross member.

Is the advice to use the parts department of Steve Thomas BMW (BMWPartsPro.com) to work with them to get a full parts list? I'd really like to have a spare regardless of keeping run-flats on my vehicle and if you order the valve stem, etc like was above does it come all fitted on the space saving spare? Basically if the spare ready to be mounted and so I can put it as is down in my compartment?
See my follow-up post here. The Modern Spare option works well and includes both the tire and the jack and the tools to install. Spre Tire Kit from Modern Spare has arrived... https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1833642
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #47
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Has anybody checked the bones yards?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #48
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne_X5M View Post
Has anybody checked the bones yards?
Not recently, but I expect it's a crap shoot.

I was looking about 4 years ago for spare and jack for an E70 and an F30 at the local LKQ Pick Your Part lot. Wheels, jacks and other loose parts are the first thing they pull on the lot as they go straight to the used parts resellers.

When I asked, they showed me a room with about 2 dozen jacks laying on the floor that they had collected in the last day or so. I found one for the F30 (the 'half-scissor' that fits sedans). Didn't have the large scissor for the E70. Checking the lot, every car was missing the original wheels. None had spares, jacks, or tools.

The only way you're likely to find them is through an online used parts dealer.

Gerry
      09-30-2022, 03:51 PM   #49
PnJ
Rep
Drives: x5 40i

Just what I was looking for -

Thanks Bolt1949 this is what I was looking for. a compact OEM spare that fits both my car and the storage wheel well. I am checking with the Parts pro and Turner motor sports to ensure it will fit on the 22 XDrive 40i with M Sport. If so - I will buy! Thanks again for this info!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 04:00 PM   #50
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnJ View Post
Thanks Bolt1949 this is what I was looking for. a compact OEM spare that fits both my car and the storage wheel well. I am checking with the Parts pro and Turner motor sports to ensure it will fit on the 22 XDrive 40i with M Sport. If so - I will buy! Thanks again for this info!!!!
PnJ, you might want to also look at Modern Spare for your solution. Mine just arrived, fits well both in the boot as well as on the car. Here is the link to the post https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1833642 Price was around $460 for the kit (tire mounted/balanced on the wheel, jack, jack wrench, lug wrench and sockets)
Appreciate 1
PnJ3.00
      09-30-2022, 04:53 PM   #51
PnJ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
PnJ, you might want to also look at Modern Spare for your solution. Mine just arrived, fits well both in the boot as well as on the car. Here is the link to the post https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1833642 Price was around $460 for the kit (tire mounted/balanced on the wheel, jack, jack wrench, lug wrench and sockets)
thank you Marty! Yes I am also looking at that, but am a bit disappointed I need a spacer to fit the wheel on my M Sport. My mechanic buddy is also urging me to use OEM to make sure I have matching tire diameter and circumference. A dilemma for sure!

Many thanks for your insights!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 05:11 PM   #52
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thank you Marty! Yes I am also looking at that, but am a bit disappointed I need a spacer to fit the wheel on my M Sport. My mechanic buddy is also urging me to use OEM to make sure I have matching tire diameter and circumference. A dilemma for sure!

Many thanks for your insights!
You may want to contact Modern Spare, I went back and forth with a guy named Ryan who was super helpful and responsive. I recall a conversation where they were trying to redesign their wheel to avoid needing a spacer for the MSport large calipers. Since I don't have those, I don't know the specifics but Ryan can surely help you. Even if you do need the spacer, we're only talking about one wheel, one spacer. I mean how many times do you plan to use that spare? Adding in the spacer is trivial. In terms of the overall diameter/circumference, again, how many times will you use that spare that this is going to matter? Just be sure the tire they offer is within a couple % of the OEM, which is what I did. Its only meant to get you home or to a service center so you can deal with your real tire (fix/replace)

Anyway, their parts are high quality, their service and support is too from my experience. Check out both routes and then you may have a choice to make, its nice to have choices

Modern Spare email- info@modernspare.com

Please watch your spam folders for our replies.

– 801-896-3395

Monday – Friday: 8 A.M. – 5 P.M. Mountain Standard Time.

If we are unable to take your call, please leave us a message.
Appreciate 1
PnJ3.00
      09-30-2022, 06:28 PM   #53
PnJ
Rep

thx again. I just sent the message to Modern Spare about that. Will see what they say. I agree with you,that I never plan to use the spare, however it is my luck that when it happens, it is always during the worst weather conditions, and I want fewer parts to spend time bolting on in the freeze

I am willing to spend a little more to get that upfront. Will report back what they respond with.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 01:27 PM   #54
PnJ
Rep

I have a few responses from BMW Parts Pros and others. The OEM compact spare will not fit on vehicles with M Sport brakes (contrary to what some posters here say) - and may not fit in the empty spare well under rear storage area. Simply Bizarre.

I have not heard back from Modern Spare if they are developing and soon to release a spare that no longer requires the spacer. I will try them again!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 02:30 PM   #55
KLCC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: x40i BMW individual

Last I recall, they "modern spare" had a 19" option that would eliminated the need for spacer, and I can attest that the spare tire solution fit in the spare well nicely.

------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, November 8, 2021 8:26 AM
To:
Subject: Re: Your Modern Spare order has been received!

The spacer will be a 2 inch spacer.

We are in fact finalizing our 19'' wheel and will have that ready by FEB, this will eliminate the need for a spacer as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 02:47 PM   #56
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLCC View Post
Last I recall, they "modern spare" had a 19" option that would eliminated the need for spacer, and I can attest that the spare tire solution fit in the spare well nicely.

To:

We are in fact finalizing our 19'' wheel and will have that ready by FEB, this will eliminate the need for a spacer as well.
Right you are but the pandemic part shortages took a toll on their ability to get parts. I had to wait four months for the standard spare tire from when they said they were supposed to have it in. That said, in early Sept they told me they are still working on the "spaceless" spare for the MSport calipers. Let see what they tell Pnj is their latest status.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #57
PnJ
Rep

Quote:

To:

Quote:

To:

Thank you! Yes I just spoke with Modern Spare. To their ultimate disappointment the larger tire did not clear the M Sport brakes. So nothing new on the roadmap as of yet and they recommend the spacer
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2022, 04:26 PM   #58
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! Yes I just spoke with Modern Spare. To their ultimate disappointment the larger tire did not clear the M Sport brakes. So nothing new on the roadmap as of yet and they recommend the spacer
Gee, you wouldn't think it would be so difficult to design a spare wheel that clears the MSport calipers. I mean they know the dimensions and its already been done by BMW and other wheel manufacturers so all they would need to do is to contract it out to one of the many wheel manufacturers. Oh well just get the space and be done with it. You might be able to drill two flat head clearance holes in the spacer and tap two corresponding holes in the inside of the wheel, 180 degrees apart and screw the spacer to the wheel so it becomes one with the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #59
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

The OE spare that came with my X7 M50i is a Hankook T155/80R19. Of course it and the jack kit fit in the spare cavity, and I have no reason to believe it won't fit over the Msport calipers (but I have not verified this). Being 19" however, there would be less than 1/2" clearance. But there is a significant diameter difference. The 22" wheel/tire combo is 779mm dia., while the spare is only 731mm, a difference of 43 revs/mile.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #60
Gooch614
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X50I

2019 X5 50i with 21” run flats and no spare. I also have the luggage option with the automatic cover that electrically stows in trunk. I bought an oem spare tire kit and I had to remove the small cross member to get the spare to fit And then put the cross member back in. The automatic cover still works and stows properly with the spare tire in. I will need to remove cross member if I ever need to access the spare. I hate the run flats and am switching over to non rft snows and probably 22” wheels and summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 09:29 AM   #61
slilley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

I just added the factory spare tire to my X5, which is scheduled for production later this month (January 2023). While the option for the $300 spare tire does not show up in the configurator on BMW's website, my sales associate was still able to add it to my build.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 10:17 AM   #62
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
What model do you have?
I looked into this while shopping around cars that weren't equipped with the spare. In the end I decided against it, because I didn't like the idea of having to use a spacer while running the spare if you had the M brakes. Changing a flat can often be dangerous enough and often done in conditions not ideal, I didn't want to have to add any extra steps or complexity to the process for safety reasons.
My 2022X5 came with the 22 inch tires and the spare donut and it does not use a spacer and I have the m brakes I actually put the spare on to take a slow leak tire to the dealer 80 miles away from my house that away I know how it works using the spare tire
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2023, 06:37 PM   #63
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
My 2022X5 came with the 22 inch tires and the spare donut and it does not use a spacer and I have the m brakes I actually put the spare on to take a slow leak tire to the dealer 80 miles away from my house that away I know how it works using the spare tire
Was referring to cars that did not come equipped with factory spare. At the time I was looking, aftermarket versions available required a spacer. Moot point as mine came with the factory spare.
      01-07-2023, 03:28 PM   #64
Cinnamon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 Sport 2020

Quote:
I have a few responses from BMW Parts Pros and others. The OEM compact spare will not fit on vehicles with M Sport brakes (contrary to what some posters here say) - and may not fit in the empty spare well under rear storage area. Simply Bizarre.

I have not heard back from Modern Spare if they are developing and soon to release a spare that no longer requires the spacer. I will try them again!
Hi guys,
So is this where we are with OEM spare? Won’t fit over M Sport brakes and maybe not under rear storage are?

I’ve literally been reading through posts all day. I was set to get the OEM (vs Mod Spare) to avoid the spacer.
Female here…no car knowledge. I want to ditch the runflats on my 2020 X5 M sport I just purchased. Needs tires now. Has no spare kit.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cinnamon; 01-07-2023 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 03:56 PM   #65
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
Hi guys,
So is this where we are with OEM spare? Won’t fit over M Sport brakes and maybe not under rear storage are?

I’ve literally been reading through posts all day. I was set to get the OEM (vs Mod Spare) to avoid the spacer.
Female here…no car knowledge. I want to ditch the runflats on my 2020 X5 M sport I just purchased. Needs tires now. Has no spare kit.

Thanks.
OEM spare will fit over MSport brakes without a problem and definitely fits under the storage area. If you are going to buy a spare kit it will be much cheaper going with a third-party solution.
      01-08-2023, 10:05 AM   #66
Cinnamon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 Sport 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
OEM spare will fit over MSport brakes without a problem and definitely fits under the storage area. If you are going to buy a spare kit it will be much cheaper going with a third-party solution.
Thank you. I’m all about saving money, but it seemed like a lot of people were nervous with the spacer that comes with the third-party kits? That was my only hang up. Also a few said in hindsight they would have purchased the OEM due to weight etc. I WAS thinking for peace of mind if I should just buy the OEM for a few hundred more. Takes out the “guessing” for me. I would not be changing my tire personally (would call for help) but I Wouldn’t want the spacer to be an issue for install or damage something/not be safe?

Ok so aftermarket with the spacer w/ the M Sport. (IE the Modern one). Is there any other third-party brand that everybody is loving that comes as a complete kit? GREATLY appreciate your time.

(I’m still reading through all the posts but there’s a lot of debate back-and-forth and I’m getting lost in the shuffle since some of this is over my head ).

Last edited by Cinnamon; 01-08-2023 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0