BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
BMW_Kama'aina
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i and X5 45e

Garage List
Question HK Sound Sys Replaced with HI-FI Sound...PNP Upgrade Recommendations?

Aloha - my new X5 45e was just released from the factory in SC on it's way for quite the journey to the middle of the Pacific. In the meantime, I was hoping to obtain some sage advice from those on the forum more knowledgeable than me on possible plug n play audio upgrades for the BMW HI-FI system. I had ordered the HK system (no B&W option anymore ), but due to the current semiconductor / chip shortage, they swapped it out for the generic BMW system....I've not heard good things about that system, so really hoping to upgrade. I've found a few (Bimmer-Tech and Bavsound) speaker upgrade solutions that look favorable and they have been very helpful. However, I have not yet found a PNP Amp solution. I understand the build is very new, but was hoping someone might have a good recommendation. Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 1
Damsph6.50
      05-31-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 FY15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Kama'aina View Post
Aloha - my new X5 45e was just released from the factory in SC on it's way for quite the journey to the middle of the Pacific. In the meantime, I was hoping to obtain some sage advice from those on the forum more knowledgeable than me on possible plug n play audio upgrades for the BMW HI-FI system. I had ordered the HK system (no B&W option anymore ), but due to the current semiconductor / chip shortage, they swapped it out for the generic BMW system....I've not heard good things about that system, so really hoping to upgrade. I've found a few (Bimmer-Tech and Bavsound) speaker upgrade solutions that look favorable and they have been very helpful. However, I have not yet found a PNP Amp solution. I understand the build is very new, but was hoping someone might have a good recommendation. Thank you in advance!
Hi
I use the Matchup 7 BMW as I got the standard HIFI and it's improved my sound immensely.
Whilst it doesn't have the extra speakers or the EQ and surround sound option you get with the HK, the Matchup let's you equalise each speaker in the car and creates DSP settings so you can get a very unique sound on bass and your highs.
My mate has HK in his G05 and swears that my bass sounds smoother and has more punch then his HK model.
This is because the amp is simple to use with software once you plug your laptop in.

I have all the standard stock speakers still.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

Put the Bavsound speakers and subs in first. You may decide that's all you need.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
BMW_Kama'aina
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i and X5 45e

Garage List
Smile Sound Upgrade Recommendations for 2021 G05 45e?

Thanks for your suggestions. Very much appreciated.
Appreciate 1
F80GTS20.00
      06-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #5
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitenD View Post
Hi
I use the Matchup 7 BMW as I got the standard HIFI and it's improved my sound immensely.
Whilst it doesn't have the extra speakers or the EQ and surround sound option you get with the HK, the Matchup let's you equalise each speaker in the car and creates DSP settings so you can get a very unique sound on bass and your highs.
My mate has HK in his G05 and swears that my bass sounds smoother and has more punch then his HK model.
This is because the amp is simple to use with software once you plug your laptop in.

Can you tell me the exact Matchup product you're using? Secondly was it PNP into the base HiFi RAM?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 05:51 AM   #6
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Quote:
Hi

Can you tell me the exact Matchup product you're using? Secondly was it PNP into the base HiFi RAM?
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rZKS8f...H-UP-7BMW.html

This is the info about the exact product I got.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 06:16 AM   #7
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

Bavsound installation is very much a DIY. They even have a very detailed video.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #8
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover696969 View Post
Who is doing your Bavsound installations for you? How much does that typically cost?
I did the Bavsound stage 1 and the underseat subwoofers myself last weekend in my garage. It took me about 3 hours to do the subs because of the need to use a heat gun to loosen the glue which holds the subs into the enclosure. The next day I was able to perform the entire stage 1 speaker install in just 2.5 hours.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The website indicates that MATCH UP 7BMW doesn't work with a 2021 G05 however the one listed as Match Up7 DSP / MEC-A does. It looks like yours works with "S676A" which is base HiFi with separate amp (vs "S676" for a 2021 X5). This is confirmed on the Audiotec website as well. However the latter reference appears to be just what we need for the later G05s. We may need to purchase the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7RAM harness as well, I'm checking with Audiotec on that. I know nothing about Audiotek, will need to research them, but this looks to be be what people have been searching for since the X5 HK problem, unfortunately Crutchfield is sold out. I'll probably wait until I install it before moving on to speakers, at least there are a variety of choices there including Focal Inside which I suspect would significantly ramp up the quality past the HK system for the front seats which is all I care about. Thanks for pointing me to the solution, I suspect I'll find one soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #10
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Quote:

The website indicates that MATCH UP 7BMW doesn't work with a 2021 G05 however the one listed as Match Up7 DSP / MEC-A does. It looks like yours works with "S676A" which is base HiFi with separate amp (vs "S676" for a 2021 X5). This is confirmed on the Audiotec website as well. However the latter reference appears to be just what we need for the later G05s. We may need to purchase the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7RAM harness as well, I'm checking with Audiotec on that. I know nothing about Audiotek, will need to research them, but this looks to be be what people have been searching for since the X5 HK problem, unfortunately Crutchfield is sold out. I'll probably wait until I install it before moving on to speakers, at least there are a variety of choices there including Focal Inside which I suspect would significantly ramp up the quality past the HK system for the front seats which is all I care about. Thanks for pointing me to the solution, I suspect I'll find one soon.
Where are you based? I'm in Australia so my techie here spoke to them and it was very easy to install.
I haven't changed any speakers as the sound I get from this is fantastic and I'm satisfied with it not needing to upgrade anymore. Cost me Aud $1400 for hardware, install and configuration to get it sounding how I wanted after a few back and forths.

The sound techie that did the install was surprised at how much difference it made and also that the stock HIFI speakers were not as bad as once originally thought. The amp really does drive the quality so phase your approach to install.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:50 PM   #11
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where are you based? I'm in Australia so my techie here spoke to them and it was very easy to install.
I haven't changed any speakers as the sound I get from this is fantastic and I'm satisfied with it not needing to upgrade anymore. Cost me Aud $1400 for hardware, install and configuration to get it sounding how I wanted after a few back and forths.

The sound techie that did the install was surprised at how much difference it made and also that the stock HIFI speakers were not as bad as once originally thought. The amp really does drive the quality so phase your approach to install.
I'm near Atlanta. I received word from AudioTec that the Match Up7 DSP MEC is the correct unit for my car along with the wiring harness. They also referred me to a local installer. Crutchfield (big supplier in the US) believes they'll get more soon and I can pre-order it to be certain I get one in the next batch. As you did, I'll first install the amp to see how things sound and then go for speakers if necessary. I'm sure I could install it myself although I'm not certain how to tune it. Saw a brief video on it but they were in German, so ... either way, all good.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:42 AM   #12
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Quote:

NitenD - which shop did your install? I'm in Australia too in Melbourne and keen to get this done. Do you think it's DIY-able?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #13
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Quote:

NitenD - which shop did your install? I'm in Australia too in Melbourne and keen to get this done. Do you think it's DIY-able?
Hey it was in Sydney near North Parramatta.

But in all reality and according to my installer, it's def plug and play.
One thing however is that there was some changes to the cabling which he did mention because of the way it was fitted. It wasn't a big deal and the fitter will tell you what but it just helps with the tweaking of the volume in the car as it made the volume of the internal car sounds such as blinkers and reverse increase in volume as well. So I ended up then having the rear speakers on a single cable and so forth.
Again, not a big deal and get a proper Audi techie to do it and they will go through it with you to tweak it the way you want.

Note that after doing this upgrade and then BimmerCode with the HK and B&O settings, my surround sound and overall sound of the car is freakin mint. You can proper hear the audio DSP and can hear sounds in the songs I wasn't hearing before I did the coding.
So I'm really happy with my car sound and prob won't update speakers or change it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:48 AM   #14
algino289
Singapore
Rep
Drives: bmw X5 G05

Hi NitenD,

Thanks for your very informative sharing on what I have been looking to know since I have collected my car from last year.

My car also comes with base or AKA Hifi system and I am quite tempted to try out this PNP Matchup DSP amp.

I personally did some DIY jobs on my F10 before and I think I should be capable to do the same on my G05. However there is one question that holding me back from it .. which is the ASD volume issue : ( I read from other forums mentioned that the blinker / reverse and engine sound volume will increase quite a lot and no way to adjust even if you tune down gain from DSP . I personally very like the ASD function and do not switch to turn it off or bypass it neither.

May I know how your installer solved this issue or do you ind to elaborate more on this " So I ended up then having the rear speakers on a single cable and so forth " ??? is it we need to cut off or plug out any wiring cable from PNP harness in order to solve the volume increase issue ?

Thanks !
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2021, 05:40 AM   #15
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by algino298 View Post
Hi NitenD,

Thanks for your very informative sharing on what I have been looking to know since I have collected my car from last year.

My car also comes with base or AKA Hifi system and I am quite tempted to try out this PNP Matchup DSP amp.

I personally did some DIY jobs on my F10 before and I think I should be capable to do the same on my G05. However there is one question that holding me back from it .. which is the ASD volume issue : ( I read from other forums mentioned that the blinker / reverse and engine sound volume will increase quite a lot and no way to adjust even if you tune down gain from DSP . I personally very like the ASD function and do not switch to turn it off or bypass it neither.

May I know how your installer solved this issue or do you ind to elaborate more on this " So I ended up then having the rear speakers on a single cable and so forth " ??? is it we need to cut off or plug out any wiring cable from PNP harness in order to solve the volume increase issue ?

Thanks !
Hi

Yes so the matchup 7 does have settings which can allow you to lower the volume however it ends up lowering the volume of the whole car.

Let me ask my installer exactly what he did and how he tweaked it so I didn't find it so loud.
All I know is that he played with my rear speakers so that they were lowered as the blinkers and car sounds came out of the centre speaker.

Let me find out the exact step by step guide and post it here for you.

He tweaked it a bit but all I know is that the sound I have from my car is amazing with this hardware amp and the standard HIFI build
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #16
algino289
Singapore
Rep
Drives: bmw X5 G05

Hi Mate ,

Thanks in advance and very appreciate your help : )
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:33 PM   #17
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Hi

Yes so the matchup 7 does have settings which can allow you to lower the volume however it ends up lowering the volume of the whole car.

Let me ask my installer exactly what he did and how he tweaked it so I didn't find it so loud.
All I know is that he played with my rear speakers so that they were lowered as the blinkers and car sounds came out of the centre speaker.

Let me find out the exact step by step guide and post it here for you.

He tweaked it a bit but all I know is that the sound I have from my car is amazing with this hardware amp and the standard HIFI build
Any update on what he did to lower that yet bud? thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:35 AM   #18
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi all

Sorry for the delay.
So spoke to my technician as to what he had done.
1. Replaced existing amp with the new amp
2. Once it was replaced, found that the bmw car sounds such as reverse, phone calls and indicators were louder then usual. These sounds come through from the right speakers and the centre so having the new amp amplified the sounds louder. Some will say it's fine but you will notice it and it will be an issue.
3. Because the amp is all software based, we routed the right speakers through the centre and then eq'd it all so it was balanced. So I was wrong that there was wiring done as it was all done through the new amps software. Pretty easy and you can really create a very surround sound experience with the tweaking.

Let me know if any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #19
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also, the amp has a master volume and that also needs to be adjusted. For me to hear my speakers at its absolute best, the volume bar is at around 85-90%

Note that the volume for calls and internal bmw sounds are still loud, but manageable and at a level where I don't need it any lower.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:59 AM   #20
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e / 2018 Model 3

Thanks for the follow up, very helpful!

Btw this matchup comes after the factory amp as a DSP amp, right? Or does it replace that unit?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #21
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrplayer13 View Post

Btw this matchup comes after the factory amp as a DSP amp, right? Or does it replace that unit?
Replaces it. It's built to replace the existing one which is why it's very easy to install and setup.
The USB cable points out as well so when you want to configure the sound, just plug your laptop into it and then tweak it.

Get a long USB cable so you can sit at the front and tweak each speaker.

If you didn't get the HK, this honestly is the easiest way to improve your sound without replacing any speakers.
If you are in Sydney, happy for you to have a listen to mine first.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #22
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e / 2018 Model 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrplayer13 View Post

Replaces it. It's built to replace the existing one which is why it's very easy to install and setup.
The USB cable points out as well so when you want to configure the sound, just plug your laptop into it and then tweak it.

Get a long USB cable so you can sit at the front and tweak each speaker.

If you didn't get the HK, this honestly is the easiest way to improve your sound without replacing any speakers.
If you are in Sydney, happy for you to have a listen to mine first.
Thanks appreciate it! I'm in Chicago so it will be hard to visit. But I'm sure it's worth it.
Appreciate 0