BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-01-2021, 01:14 AM   #89
maybe_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar335 View Post
I have the 676 HiFi system and upgraded the front, rear, center speakers with IS BMW 100L, IC BMW 100L and ICC BMW 100 respectively and the difference is very noticeable in my opinion. We can get these for ~$600.

The HiFi speakers/tweeters are 10w max each, in comparison.

Upgrading the subwoofers next.

Curious why did you go with ISBMW100L instead of ISBMW100? the spec sheets look the same but the Focal website says ISBMW100 is the one for G05? There seems to be a mild difference in design comparing the two side by side.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...mwr/is-bmw-100

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...wr/is-bmw-100l

Last edited by maybe_bimmer; 10-01-2021 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #90
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Garage List
  [0.00]
I went with the IS BMW 100L as that is what Focal lists as the correct speaker for the G05 front doors. I haven't seen any place where the IS BMW 100 is listed for the G05 series X5...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #91
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Focal upgrade initial impressions and install notes.

Installation notes and quick review of how the Focal Inside upgrade sounds.

If you do not have a set of installer trim tools, spend the $12 on Amazon and buy this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8GHB7O...roduct_details
The stepped feature on the tool second from the right is perfect for popping the trim pieces out inside of the handholds of the door.

Go ahead and buy a pack of BMW door trim retainer clips. When you break one you will be happy that you spent an extra $10. (I will have to take the a couple of the door panels off again to replace these clips.) Part number is 51417325082 and they are available on ebay.

I watched a couple of the different videos from bimmer-tech and bavsound for some guidance on how to swap the speakers.

The biggest time sink on this whole process was not having the replacement clips and then getting the panels back on. The last speaker that I replaced, rear door, took about 10 minutes total. Don't ask about the first one...

As for sound, wow, what a difference. There are actually highs now and they are crisp. My first test was some Tori Amos and I could hear the sounds of piano keys being played and her voice was nice and clear. I've run through some Amy Winehouse and an assortment of music off of the phone. I'm quite happy with how the whole focal set (except subs) sound relative to the stock "HiFi" speakers. Need to listen a bit more, but I am rather convinced that I do need to upgrade the amp as I need to turn the dial up to about 70% to have a decent volume level and I can hear the distortion of the stock electronics.

Total investment so far is about $600 and a few hours of time.
Appreciate 4
Gstahl18.00
Tch-Nrd118.50
      10-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #92
Gstahl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Hund View Post
Which Focal Inside system did you go with? Did you just do speakers or speakers an amp?

Thanks,

Geoff
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #93
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstahl View Post
Which Focal Inside system did you go with? Did you just do speakers or speakers an amp?

Thanks,

Geoff
Since I have the "HiFi" system in a 45e I went with the recommended Focal speakers of the IS BMW 100L, IC BMW 100L and ICC BMW 100.
Did not upgrade the subs yet.
I have not upgraded the amp, but will probably go with the bimmer-tech system for ease of installation.

I found a post describing the stock amp.
-
The "HI FI" option amplifier is a 7 Channel unit
5x25watt to mid range speakers and 2x40W to Subs
-
The bimmer-tech amp (audiotec-fischer PP86DSP) is rated at over 1100 watts output. plenty.
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #94
yanger24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Geoff
Since I have the "HiFi" system in a 45e I went with the recommended Focal speakers of the IS BMW 100L, IC BMW 100L and ICC BMW 100.
I have not upgraded the amp, but will probably go with the bimmer-tech system for ease of installation.

-
-
The bimmer-tech amp (audiotec-fischer PP86DSP) is rated at over 1100 watts output. plenty.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Geoff

-
-
Did the center, front components, and rear coaxial's just like you. Easy install and it's night and day in my opinion. Likely good enough at this point.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #95
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

I just upgraded one of the subwoofers, the difference between the HiFi OEM sub and the Focal ISUB 2 is again quite significant.

Will be placing an order for a second one.

I used a Wagner Furno 500 heat gun, very easy to use, just set it to one of the lower settings and the glued OEM subwoofer detaches pretty quickly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
RC_Hund61.00
Gstahl18.00
5pacey55.00
Tch-Nrd118.50
      10-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #96
maybe_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

If you do not have a set of installer trim tools, spend the $12 on Amazon and buy this one.
The stepped feature on the tool second from the right is perfect for popping the trim pieces out inside of the handholds of the door.

Go ahead and buy a pack of BMW door trim retainer clips. When you break one you will be happy that you spent an extra $10. (I will have to take the a couple of the door panels off again to replace these clips.) Part number is 51417325082 and they are available on ebay.

I watched a couple of the different videos from bimmer-tech and bavsound for some guidance on how to swap the speakers.

The biggest time sink on this whole process was not having the replacement clips and then getting the panels back on. The last speaker that I replaced, rear door, took about 10 minutes total. Don't ask about the first one...

As for sound, wow, what a difference. There are actually highs now and they are crisp. My first test was some Tori Amos and I could hear the sounds of piano keys being played and her voice was nice and clear. I've run through some Amy Winehouse and an assortment of music off of the phone. I'm quite happy with how the whole focal set (except subs) sound relative to the stock "HiFi" speakers. Need to listen a bit more, but I am rather convinced that I do need to upgrade the amp as I need to turn the dial up to about 70% to have a decent volume level and I can hear the distortion of the stock electronics.

Thanks, just received the speakers and tools, now waiting for door clips to arrive before attempting. The german seller shipped it next day and it arrived in CA within a week.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #97
maybe_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I just upgraded one of the subwoofers, the difference between the HiFi OEM sub and the Focal ISUB 2 is again quite significant.

I used a Wagner Furno 500 heat gun, very easy to use, just set it to one of the lower settings and the glued OEM subwoofer detaches pretty quickly.
What temp did you use? wondering if this is doable with a hair dryer on max (~300F)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #98
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe_bimmer View Post
Quote:

What temp did you use? wondering if this is doable with a hair dryer on max (~300F)
I used the ~400F setting for about 5-8 mins
Appreciate 1
5pacey55.00
      10-06-2021, 07:12 AM   #99
Atlantis8000
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45E

I'm in the same boat... I'm expecting my X5 45e in November without HK or B&W. I had the chance to listen to an upgraded HIFI Pro (676) system at a local dealer over here in Belgium. They replaced the speakers with a Focal Compo set (not the plug and play IS100 stuff, but the Focal Elite ES100K). You will need an adaptor ring for these speakers, but they are better than the IS100. The subs and rear speakers were replaced with Musway (Audio Design) CSB8W and CSB42X. The amp was Musway M6v3 with DSP. It sounded very good and you can tweak the DSP amp to your personal preferences. The system is +600 Watts (HK is 464Watts now). My install is planned in December. I' ll keep you posted.
Appreciate 4
      10-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #100
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Good feedback. Keep us posted on the AMP. To confirm, with the speaker ONLY upgrade, you need to increase the VOL quite a bit to be heard at the same level? Correct?

For the AMP, is the BimmerTech plug and play for the 45e (I was reading the 45e OEM amp set-up is diff than the non 45e?). And, from the Forums, the repurcussion with new AMP "might" be that the BMW warning sounds/bells will be quite a bit louder...
Anything you or others "know" on this is helpful. I read a large thread the other day, but the experiences with 40i vs 45e I gather is different.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #101
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
Good feedback. Keep us posted on the AMP. To confirm, with the speaker ONLY upgrade, you need to increase the VOL quite a bit to be heard at the same level? Correct?

For the AMP, is the BimmerTech plug and play for the 45e (I was reading the 45e OEM amp set-up is diff than the non 45e?). And, from the Forums, the repurcussion with new AMP "might" be that the BMW warning sounds/bells will be quite a bit louder...
Anything you or others "know" on this is helpful. I read a large thread the other day, but the experiences with 40i vs 45e I gather is different.
I haven't noticed having to turn the volume up too far. The base amp is really weak to start with. The gongs are a bit annoying, but I do have them turned down already. It would be nice to drop them by another 3 to 6 db.

From watching the video on the bimmer-tech site, it is completely plug and play. They use the power for the stock amp. I have read that they do turn the gain down on the input a bit with their stock tune in order to tame the gong and other system sounds. There are others here who have this amp installed and can speak to this with better authority.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2021, 11:05 PM   #102
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep

Will be getting the second subwoofer next week, at this point I am also considering upgrading the amp.

What is the consensus as to which option is the "best" PnP option for a 45e?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:19 AM   #103
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
Will be getting the second subwoofer next week, at this point I am also considering upgrading the amp.

What is the consensus as to which option is the "best" PnP option for a 45e?
I think its the Audiotec Fisher Match Up 7DSP + the RAM wiring harness. It plugs into the existing amp/head unit so its driven by the current speaker outs. You need to run your own 6 Ga power and ground wires to the Match Up amp though, because in that configuration there won't be enough power coming down from the OEM amp. So instructions say to cut the pwer wires in the harness that goes between the OEM amp and Match up 7, and then run separate power/ground to the battery w/an inline fuse. Its all in the instructions. You can buy both from Curchfield, its not that much more expensive than eBay - unlike the speakers for some reason. There are several threads here on the forum here w/people discussing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 09:46 PM   #104
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6MT Alpine White

Hey guys.
My X5 M50i is going into the system Monday for production. I finally got my allocation spot. So B&W system is not avaliable. So I started browsing. From what I heard, the BLAM speakers with a Match 10DSP Amp is the way to go. 6 tweeters and 6 mids, 2 woofers, and 1 center component speaker. Has anyone heard of anything better? They also advised to add a sub to the trunk to handle deep lows. Nothing crazy. Just to fill in the sub 30 hz range. Also heard the BLAM speakers are better than the Focal. I think the Blam tweeters handle up to 37KHZ. Focals go up to 23KHZ.
      10-09-2021, 03:29 AM   #105
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatty View Post
Hey guys.
My X5 M50i is going into the system Monday for production. I finally got my allocation spot. So B&W system is not avaliable. So I started browsing. From what I heard, the BLAM speakers with a Match 10DSP Amp is the way to go. 6 tweeters and 6 mids, 2 woofers, and 1 center component speaker. Has anyone heard of anything better? They also advised to add a sub to the trunk to handle deep lows. Nothing crazy. Just to fill in the sub 30 hz range. Also heard the BLAM speakers are better than the Focal. I think the Blam tweeters handle up to 37KHZ. Focals go up to 23KHZ.
Never heard the name BLAM... Focal otoh has been around a long time and is known for top quality speakers.

Amp wise, not sure if you typo'ed or not, but the Match 7UP DSP amp is the most frequently mentioned around here and from my snooping around I have to agree that it is a very good match. Its made by a very reputable company, which makes some of the best automotive amps around - Audiotec Fischer.

Frequencies... You physically can't hear above 20khz, unless you are a dog , and you're lucky if you hear anything above 15khz. Assuming you have the actual content that has any sounds at that range. Also, and this is where "reputable" matters , specs from one company don't always equal specs from another.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #106
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Also, the biggest issue, imo, w/achieving a legit setup is the apparent impossibility of removing the so called RAM module, which is the OEM shit amp, bit it also does some other things, which are a mystery to me, afaik. In effect, you end up driving your upgrade amp from the speaker outs of the RAM module. This in effect just amplifies whatever comes out of said RAM module, which is the shit sound you are trying to improve.

Which is why real setups always use pre- outs. Meaning the raw source signal before amplification. This is the only true way to achieve a sonic nirvana. As thing stand until someone can show that the RAM module is removable, and we can plug into the harness in front of it w/out loosing other car functions, this whole upgrade thing is just making things louder and improving sound by using real speakers. But the lo fi stock amplification and distortion are still in the signal. Such is the state of knowledge I think at this point and the only reasonable way to get an upgrade w/out major surgery.

Last edited by 5pacey; 10-10-2021 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #107
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep

Found a European distributor, planning on getting the amp from them. Sent an email to Jason (jason@msc-america.com ) to find out if the amp is "compatible" with the 45e.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:10 AM   #108
Atlantis8000
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45E

Quote:
Found a European distributor, planning on getting the amp from them. Sent an email to Jason (jason@msc-america.com ) to find out if the amp is "compatible" with the 45e.
If you want a Match Up DSP, you'll need the Match Up 7.6. This one should be compatible with G05 and RAM.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #109
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis8000 View Post
If you want a Match Up DSP, you'll need the Match Up 7.6. This one should be compatible with G05 and RAM.
Could you post a link or some documentation about that amp you speak of? Its not listed on the Audiotec-Fischer site and Google comes up empty.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #110
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

Is the factory sub 2 ohm or 4= ohm? I thought it was the latter?
Appreciate 0