BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-27-2021, 01:46 AM   #177
coralsea
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I received a letter from PenFed which said I must return the form in the letter otherwise my account will not be active. However my online PenFed account shows my membership is active. Did anybody received this letter?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:46 AM   #178
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsea View Post
I received a letter from PenFed which said I must return the form in the letter otherwise my account will not be active. However my online PenFed account shows my membership is active. Did anybody received this letter?
My account has been open a few years but I'm pretty sure I received something I had to sign and send back.
      10-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #179
teejnut
Rep
Drives: Looking

Does anyone know if the PenFed offer will be renewed? Currently it's valid until January 3, 2022.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #180
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejnut View Post
Does anyone know if the PenFed offer will be renewed? Currently it's valid until January 3, 2022.
The military incentive is year-long and renewed each January. Highly unlikely they will drop it. They could pull it from PenFed now that BMW has a process for it on their website but the chance of that is probably pretty small.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #181
teejnut
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The military incentive is year-long and renewed each January. Highly unlikely they will drop it. They could pull it from PenFed now that BMW has a process for it on their website but the chance of that is probably pretty small.
Thanks! Hopefully that's the case.

I did notice the link now includes the 2022 models now. Previously when I got the email and link in Sept there were no 2022 models listed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:51 PM   #182
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejnut View Post
Thanks! Hopefully that's the case.

I did notice the link now includes the 2022 models now. Previously when I got the email and link in Sept there were no 2022 models listed.
yup they recently updated all their collateral including the award certificates to explicitly say 2022 ... prior they only said 2021 (or Jan 2022) but dealers were still accepting them anyway.

In short, the program is a little lazy, the documentation & process is sloppy, but it's a great rebate and it more/less works for anyone so it's hard to complain!
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #183
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsea View Post
Yes do it. Why would you mess with an account opening procedure when you barely qualify for it?
      11-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #184
mgiannetto
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Ok a couple of additional question on the Pen Fed incentive (and financing).

1. If I decided to pay for the vehicle in cash, I still qualify for the $3,250 incentive right (I think this has been confirmed above)?

2. In order to get the Pen Fed promotional financing rate (of 0.99%), does one have to go through their car buying service where Pen Fed selects/directs you to the dealer? Or is having the incentive code good enough to qualify for both the incentive and their promotional financing rate even though Pen Fed was not the one who steered me to the dealer I am using?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #185
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Correct - You'll see the answers above on this thread. You can pay cash and get 3250 - assuming your dealer honors it (some cause a fuss about it). The only edit to the PenFed Rebate is IF you finance through BMWFS - you lose all but 500.
- PenFed 0.99 finance rate is "meant" to be reserved for PenFed/TrueCar partner dealers. If your dealer is listed when you jump through the TrueCar dealer inquiry, you are good to go (even if you ordered the car before hand, etc.). If the dealer doesn't show up, they are not a partner dealer and you won't qualify. PenFed still has very good rates though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiannetto View Post
Ok a couple of additional question on the Pen Fed incentive (and financing).

1. If I decided to pay for the vehicle in cash, I still qualify for the $3,250 incentive right (I think this has been confirmed above)?

2. In order to get the Pen Fed promotional financing rate (of 0.99%), does one have to go through their car buying service where Pen Fed selects/directs you to the dealer? Or is having the incentive code good enough to qualify for both the incentive and their promotional financing rate even though Pen Fed was not the one who steered me to the dealer I am using?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #186
jayalways
Rep
Drives: X5

Pen Fed $3250
UDE $1000

Is stacking Pen Fed incentive + UDE coupon allowed??
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #187
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayalways View Post
Pen Fed $3250
UDE $1000

No according to stackabilty matrix and the fine print says it cannot be used for new builds.

*$1,000 offer valid on eligible new model year 2021 and 2022 vehicles in dealer stock delivered and retailed through 2/28/2022. This offer cannot be used for previously ordered or previously delivered vehicles and is only valid on delivery of in-stock vehicles. MINI vehicles and BMW Pre-Owned/Certified Pre-Owned vehicles do not qualify. Offer valid to customers and their family members residing within the same household, attending 2021 Ultimate Driving Experience – New York and registering on https://udenewyork.eventsbmw.com by 11/4/2021. Offer valid on final negotiated price and may be combined with other applicable BMW offers that are available at the time of purchase. Only one OL number per vehicle may be used. Offer valid towards purchase price of eligible vehicle. Only valid at participating dealers.
©2021 BMW of North America, LLC. The BMW name, model names and logo are registered trademarks.

Last edited by omasou; 11-10-2021 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #188
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

See matrix attached. No promo/event/OL Code. I think it pairs with College Grad discount. Loyalty pairs technically with Type J but does so only by financing via BMWFS which results in Type J (PenFed) reducing to 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayalways View Post
Pen Fed $3250
UDE $1000

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #189
jayalways
Rep
Drives: X5

OK, so its only penfeds $3250 for me.

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 07:11 AM   #190
mgiannetto
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
Correct - You'll see the answers above on this thread. You can pay cash and get 3250 - assuming your dealer honors it (some cause a fuss about it). The only edit to the PenFed Rebate is IF you finance through BMWFS - you lose all but 500.
- PenFed 0.99 finance rate is "meant" to be reserved for PenFed/TrueCar partner dealers. If your dealer is listed when you jump through the TrueCar dealer inquiry, you are good to go (even if you ordered the car before hand, etc.). If the dealer doesn't show up, they are not a partner dealer and you won't qualify. PenFed still has very good rates though.
Thank you. That was very clearly said.

My dealer has been fussy and in some ways non-committal about a lot of things with regard to our order. They seem clearly upset they gave us a measly $2,000 discount from MSRP back in Sept (when the order was placed) and seem keen to make it painful for us as our walking away will allow them to sell the vehicle to someone else at full MSRP or above MSRP.

So my introducing the Pen Fed incentive at this point (I did a week ago) just seems to give them more reason to be annoyed with me. While my advisor has said they do accept it, he has also said that they don't like it. When I told him that it doesn't cost them anything, his response was that it was an administrative burden to the dealer finance folks and they'd rather not bother with it. I suppose (although he did not say it) that perhaps it takes them a while to get reimbursed the $3,250 from BMW? Don't know, but this has been a very different buying experience than 3 years ago - when it could not have been smoother.

It has been the most difficult and frustrating car buying experience of my life in fact (and I've been buying cars for over 3 decades).

Edited on 11-23-22 to add:

We picked up my wife's '22 X5 yesterday and all went surprisingly well. No pushback at all with the Pen Fed incentive.

Sent the certificate in advance, a copy of our insurance card and drivers license and they had most of the paperwork ready to go upon arrival.

I thought there might be a problem when my advisor sent me a text in the morning asking that I bring in the Pen Fed certificate along with my "loan check" from Pen Fed. Thought this might be another snafu - thinking they were going to require I had financed the vehicle through Pen Fed (we did not - we instead paid cash). I texted back the certificate and told him we'd be bringing a bank check. Said that was fine - and it was.

No hard up-sell by the finance manager either. He tried on the extended warranty, wheel and tire insurance (which was outrageously priced at $2,450) and the paint and interior protection (at $950), but quickly moved on when we said no thanks.

So in the end being a Pen Fed member for two decades saved us $3,250 on the purchase price of the new vehicle. This combined with proceeds from selling (transferring our bargain purchase option in the lease of) our 2019 X5 to another dealer for $13,600 and the small $2,000 discount negotiated when we placed the order for the '22 X5 helped to reduce the price by almost $19,000 (or ~25% off MSRP).

Here is a picture of the '22.
Attached Images

Last edited by mgiannetto; 11-23-2021 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #191
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, out of the 10 or so dealers I spoke with before my order, several of them stated they don't honor PenFed (even though we all know it's no financial skin off their back). I moved on. One dealer elaborated and echoed what you stated; that they don't work with PenFed because of the paperwork, time, and lag from the process.

Good Luck with yours. I'm sure you'll be fine since they have already agreed to everything. BTW, many dealers and CA's are frustrated right now - just as us consumers are. Inventories are low, demand is high, and manufactures (across the board) are either cutting supply or cutting options/features. Thus dealers are caught in the middle getting bad news from Manufactures' and getting an ear full from us frustrated customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiannetto View Post
Thank you. That was very clearly said.

My dealer has been fussy and in some ways non-committal about a lot of things with regard to our order. They seem clearly upset they gave us a measly $2,000 discount from MSRP back in Sept (when the order was placed) and seem keen to make it painful for us as our walking away will allow them to sell the vehicle to someone else at full MSRP or above MSRP.

So my introducing the Pen Fed incentive at this point (I did a week ago) just seems to give them more reason to be annoyed with me. While my advisor has said they do accept it, he has also said that they don't like it. When I told him that it doesn't cost them anything, his response was that it was an administrative burden to the dealer finance folks and they'd rather not bother with it. I suppose (although he did not say it) that perhaps it takes them a while to get reimbursed the $3,250 from BMW? Don't know, but this has been a very different buying experience than 3 years ago - when it could not have been smoother.

It has been the most difficult and frustrating car buying experience of my life in fact (and I've been buying cars for over 3 decades).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #192
dequik44
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Hey all - another FUN PenFed question for you all. My dealer was also unaware of the PenFed rebate at first, he did some research online and eventually said he would honor it. He had me register on ID.me to confirm my military status - which was confirmed and then generated two codes for BMW to process.

According to my dealer, the codes processed correctly and we are all good to go -- but 1) my understanding is that the codes are only processed and confirmed at the time of delivery (we're not there yet); 2) he never had any interaction with PenFed on this and my understanding is that this is a PENFED rebate; 3) Finally, I have not yet reached my 60 days with PenFed, and if it is a PenFed only rebate, I would assume there would be a hold up.. :|

If you are confirmed military via ID.me, do you automatically get the $3,250 rebate or is this guy confused and I'm in for a rude awakening when I go to pick up my car in a few days?

Thanks so much y'all! Long time lurker (just sold my 2020 X5 so I could grab the X5e), first time poster!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:01 PM   #193
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dequik44 View Post
Hey all - another FUN PenFed question for you all. My dealer was also unaware of the PenFed rebate at first, he did some research online and eventually said he would honor it. He had me register on ID.me to confirm my military status - which was confirmed and then generated two codes for BMW to process.

According to my dealer, the codes processed correctly and we are all good to go -- but 1) my understanding is that the codes are only processed and confirmed at the time of delivery (we're not there yet); 2) he never had any interaction with PenFed on this and my understanding is that this is a PENFED rebate; 3) Finally, I have not yet reached my 60 days with PenFed, and if it is a PenFed only rebate, I would assume there would be a hold up.. :|

If you are confirmed military via ID.me, do you automatically get the $3,250 rebate or is this guy confused and I'm in for a rude awakening when I go to pick up my car in a few days?

Thanks so much y'all! Long time lurker (just sold my 2020 X5 so I could grab the X5e), first time poster!
Welcome to the forum. There actually is no such thing as the PenFed rebate, it is just on their site. Having a PenFed account for more than 60 days is just one of the ways to qualify for BMW's Domestic Military incentive. In the past the overwhelming majority of the folks who used the military incentive went through USAA so many people, even dealers, referred to it as the USAA discount and some even still do. When USAA dropped their car buying service the only way to get the military incentive was to go through PenFed. That changed earlier this year when BMW started processing them on their site using ID.me as well as on TrueCar.

As far as your questions are concerned:

1. The code is only valid and processed when you take delivery. Should that occur after Jan then you would need to qualify again since it is a yearly incentive.

2. See above.

3. Your PenFed account is not involved. You already qualified using ID.me so whether or not you have a PenFed account is immaterial.
      11-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #194
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dequik44 View Post

1) my understanding is that the codes are only processed and confirmed at the time of delivery (we're not there yet);

2) he never had any interaction with PenFed on this and my understanding is that this is a PENFED rebate;

3) Finally, I have not yet reached my 60 days with PenFed, and if it is a PenFed only rebate, I would assume there would be a hold up.. :|
I've not done PenFed via ID.me so I can't speak with experience on that side, but I doubt ANYTHING is automagic ...

PenFed processes these rebates for many manufacturers, not just BMW, and the process is the same for all:

With PenFed, once you qualify, basically you go onto the website and generate a "BMW Manufacturer Incentive Offer Form" which has specific offer code along with your customer ID. It's very self-explanatory how to do it.

Then you turn that into a PDF and send it to your dealer when it comes time for them to create the "deal sheet" that contains the itemized cost of your car. Your dealer should then take the PenFed rebate off of the MSRP along with whatever other discounts you're getting.

The note is, some dealers either don't know and/or get confused on how to manage the bureaucracy (what rebates stack with what, etc) ... there's a lot of posts about "type J" in this thread, but net-net, if this happens, then post back here what your dealer is objecting to.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 01:29 AM   #195
dequik44
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Incredibly helpful, y'all! Sounds like this should work out then. Will let you know if anything odd pops up as I close this deal over the weekend. Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #196
NJSlick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

Does anyone know if Penfed discount will be available in 2022. I was about to pull the trigger this year but with the touch screen gone I'm thinking about holding out until it's back hopefully next year. Maybe even the PHEV if the tax credit goes up.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 05:48 AM   #197
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but I wanted to report back something that was interesting to me with my experience yesterday…

I was under the impression that I would have to use PenFed's financing (2.39 for 72mo) in order to get the $3250 rebate, but that was not true! I was allowed to use any lender EXCEPT for BMW Financial. It was a good thing that I had brought a separate pre-approved loan from Northwest Fed (1.79 for 72mo) because they were able to beat that too (1.59 for 75mo).

I didn't have to go through TrueCar or anything either. I just generated my code online and sent them to my CA…done.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #198
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSlick View Post
Does anyone know if Penfed discount will be available in 2022. I was about to pull the trigger this year but with the touch screen gone I'm thinking about holding out until it's back hopefully next year. Maybe even the PHEV if the tax credit goes up.
it's been around for 10+ years so odds are good, but these days who knows??
Appreciate 0