Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpSQLDude View Post
My X3 M40i lease is coming to an end in about 5 months, and I was planning on custom-ordering a maxed-out X5 M50i, including the Bowers & Wilkins, of course. But it is gone from the online configurator!

B&W is gone from the X5 M50i.
B&W is gone from the X5 M.
B&W is gone from the X7 M50i.

It is totally gone!!

My X3 has the Harman Kardon system, and I'm sorry but that SUCKS.

I am left with an number of crappy options:

1. Get a new X5 with a crappy sound system and live with it -- not gonna happen.

2. Get a new X5 with a crappy sound system -- and then rely on a third-party upgrade. I have really been avoiding that. I've had horrible luck in the past.

3. Quickly find an X5 with B&W on a dealer's lot right now -- even though there is no way it will be configured the way I want, and I will also have to eat some loss on ending my lease early.

4. Switch to a Mercedes GLE 580 or AMG GLE 53, which not only comes with the upgraded Burmester sound system, but also has the option for their "Acoustic Comfort Package" -- which is even better than the BMW "acoustic glass", which BMW dropped over a year ago.

Damn you BMW!!

WTF?!

Go with #4.
Add a few bucks and get AMG GLE 63.
You will not regret.

And yes, wireless carplay is a gimmick. Personally i'd replace it with the wired one in a blink of an eye.
I believe MB is not bringing any v8 models to the USA for the foreseeable future. (Edit: I see others have mentioned this.). FWIW, I have shelved my X5M/X6M purchase to replace my F86 because I'm not paying top dollar for a decontented car. With the new HK being so lame, the BW was a must-have for me. I was already not thrilled with the other stuff being removed, but I draw the line at no BW.
Ibiza3480.00
      09-20-2021, 06:43 PM   #24
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6MT Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
I believe MB is not bringing any v8 models to the USA for the foreseeable future. (Edit: I see others have mentioned this.). FWIW, I have shelved my X5M/X6M purchase to replace my F86 because I'm not paying top dollar for a decontented car. With the new HK being so lame, the BW was a must-have for me. I was already not thrilled with the other stuff being removed, but I draw the line at no BW.
What other stuff was removed besides the B&W?
      09-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #25
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatty View Post
Quote:
To my knowledge, soft close doors, 818 M wheels, and wireless charging. I've also seen some unconfirmed reports other options being unavailable, but I won't comment on those since I can't confirm accuracy.
      09-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #26
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Quote:
Foglights
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #27
Trex1200r
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i, Audi SQ5

Rear seat releases in the cargo area are gone. Nertz.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #28
Bearco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
To my knowledge, soft close doors, 818 M wheels, and wireless charging. I've also seen some unconfirmed reports other options being unavailable, but I won't comment on those since I can't confirm accuracy.
More and more reporting the adaptive mode button is gone too. Replaced with HDC in the same spot.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #29
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearco View Post
Quote:
More and more reporting the adaptive mode button is gone too. Replaced with HDC in the same spot.
Nuts.
      09-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #30
Gstahl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e soon

What are the best aftermarket options to head back int eh B&W quality direction?

I have seen Focal and Bavsound have offerings.. Any thoughts on what gets you there?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #31
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstahl View Post
What are the best aftermarket options to head back int eh B&W quality direction?

I have seen Focal and Bavsound have offerings.. Any thoughts on what gets you there?
I currently have Focal in my Wrangler with an Alpine x409 head unit. Def the best speakers I have owned. And I have been a JL guy for years. I have these installed:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091PS1...XE.html?tp=106
Using Focal amps as well

Front and rear/top sound bar. 2 pairs total. The highs are great. I love highs. Would rather have highs and mids rather than bass. Not overwhelming bass thou. Has to be leveled out. Mids....ok.. Lows go to my JL stealthboxes

I am happy with them in general. They take the power going to them. Im pushing around 100-120 each channel using the crossovers they came with. I was using a JL DSP and I ripped it out. Using the DSP in the headunit for timing. I had it professionally installed but I took out the DSP myself and then tuned it myself.

I am in the process of putting in my order for the x5 m50i and I am beyond pissed the B&W is not available to order. I really didn't want to do aftermarket again. But I have no choice unless they make avalible again. Hopefully before its not to late to edit the build. Sending in the build between today and Friday.

Focal is a great brand, but there is always better. I think if enuf speakers are used, we should be happy with the sound. The B&W had 26 speakers I think. You can also buy the retrofit kit on ebay for the B&W i think.
      09-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #32
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I didnt know Focal made kits esp for the X5. Here they are

https://www.focal-inside.com/bmw/en/...uv-2018-g05-2/

The best it looks like....FOCAL INSIDE PREMIUM 9.2
      09-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #33
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It might be a better upgrade from the HK but from looking at the specs I dont think it will compare to the B&W. The components only handle 40w rms and 80w max. My 2 cents. Depends on ur liking thou.

Last edited by shatty; 09-22-2021 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #34
slampert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX50

My 20 month old 2020 40i was totaled two weeks ago. It had all of these decontented options in the Executive Package and B&W. Looking at the current build configurator is like shopping for a different vehicle.

Even worse, imho, my insurance co lowballed the total loss valuation of the car. Now that I'm a cautionary tale, I'm going to start a new thread and ask you guys to weigh in on the numbers.....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 03:42 AM   #35
Ledwinka
Rep
Drives: Still Searching

Should come back in time

A long time ago I worked as an engineer for an auto OEM, which role included audio testing (IVI, to be precise). Normally, audio systems are supplied for the whole duration of one lifecycle of a vehicle, so the B&W audio options should not have been deleted for this model year. I am guessing that B&W, being a standalone audio company unlike the conglomerate, Harman, lacks economy of scale in these tough times thanks to insufficient supply of chips. I am further guessing that the problems at Renesas, a major chip supplier in Japan, might be at fault. I also talked to a BMW purchasing manager (former, now doing other roles) who told me that BMW also lacks economy of scale (2M/yr) unlike Toyota, so this chip problem is really hitting BMW hard. I am guessing that BMW purchasing div. should be working hard to bring back H&K/B&W for the next MY, so we should see. In any case, B&W should be obligated to supply sufficient number of units for BMW X5, X7 and all other related vehicles, but this being one of those god-sent level of calamity, we would have to wait a bit longer. On the brighter side of things, air suspension seems to be back for X5 4.0i, although it does require a third row, so the features that were provided and then gone w/o warning, seems to be returning. I'd suggest that you wait a little bit more if you like premium audios: the sound difference should be night and day when compared to base garbage.

P.S. b/c of the field that I current work in, I found out that chip makers are not enthusiastic about increasing chip production for cars. Low level tech, low margin, old machinery that is pretty much hard to get from the market, and car makers being a low-level client (the largest client being IT), the chip makers are asking car makers to invest as well (as it was the case with BMW investing $1B for Bosch).
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
      09-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #36
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with you, I would also draw the line on B&W and 818M wheels.

Wireless charging is useless and soft close doors I could do without.

Rumor has it the LCI F95/F96 will have the new S68 engine. Some light at the end of the tunnel.
GrussGott18113.00
      09-29-2021, 12:17 PM   #37
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledwinka View Post
A long time ago I worked as an engineer for an auto OEM, which role included audio testing (IVI, to be precise). Normally, audio systems are supplied for the whole duration of one lifecycle of a vehicle, so the B&W audio options should not have been deleted for this model year. I am guessing that B&W, being a standalone audio company unlike the conglomerate, Harman, lacks economy of scale in these tough times thanks to insufficient supply of chips. I am further guessing that the problems at Renesas, a major chip supplier in Japan, might be at fault. I also talked to a BMW purchasing manager (former, now doing other roles) who told me that BMW also lacks economy of scale (2M/yr) unlike Toyota, so this chip problem is really hitting BMW hard. I am guessing that BMW purchasing div. should be working hard to bring back H&K/B&W for the next MY, so we should see. In any case, B&W should be obligated to supply sufficient number of units for BMW X5, X7 and all other related vehicles, but this being one of those god-sent level of calamity, we would have to wait a bit longer. On the brighter side of things, air suspension seems to be back for X5 4.0i, although it does require a third row, so the features that were provided and then gone w/o warning, seems to be returning. I'd suggest that you wait a little bit more if you like premium audios: the sound difference should be night and day when compared to base garbage.

P.S. b/c of the field that I current work in, I found out that chip makers are not enthusiastic about increasing chip production for cars. Low level tech, low margin, old machinery that is pretty much hard to get from the market, and car makers being a low-level client (the largest client being IT), the chip makers are asking car makers to invest as well (as it was the case with BMW investing $1B for Bosch).
B&W automotive OEM division has a partnership with Harmon.

https://news.cision.com/propel-techn...ded-a,c9310829

Wonder how the B&W shortage will affect the all new iX?

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/our-partners/bmw
      09-30-2021, 11:25 AM   #38
11B/51C
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X545e, 2021 X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I'm similar and wondering the same thing ... I'm hoping BMW is sophisticated enough with their production planning that all active orders with planned build weeks get what's on the spec sheet, and they're shutting down the options for UNORDERED/no-build-week vehicles ... they've had enough time with the shortages to get their shit together I hope

It'll be very frustrating (and a bad customer experience) to have an active order with a locked build, only to have them come back and change the order (and expectations) when that change is due to BMW's poor production planning - especially given mine has Individual-lite options that extended the build week!

Had I known I'd miss out on the B&W I would've skipped the Individual stuff ... In fact I wanted to make a few some changes but couldn't due to Individual.

BUT AFAIK now, B&W is still on the order sheet with a locked build date so I'll assume BMW has their shit together and I'll get what I ordered!

It's almost impossible to buy an AMG GLE 63, at least as of a few weeks ago. I called tons of dealership all over the country and most had nothing available for any price - those that did wanted +$25k

Same with the X5m in socal - dealers asking for +$10k as of last week, and a PA dealer asking for +$5k.

Shits crazy out there.
Same situation for me but have a week 44 build. Dealer has researched and followed up with regional supply chain contacts--and they swear I am getting the B&W. I ordered late July but had 3 individual options--so the timeframe is understandable. Have you received anything from your SA/dealer that confirms you will or won't get the B&W on your build?
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      09-30-2021, 07:39 PM   #39
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B/51C View Post
Same situation for me but have a week 44 build. Dealer has researched and followed up with regional supply chain contacts--and they swear I am getting the B&W. I ordered late July but had 3 individual options--so the timeframe is understandable. Have you received anything from your SA/dealer that confirms you will or won't get the B&W on your build?
No, haven't heard anything, and TBH, even if I do, I won't trust it since I don't think the dealers really know, at least mine probably doesn't, but yours might given his/her supply chain contacts so I super appreciate your update!

Really really really hoping when BMW takes an order, they're accounting for the parts/supplies needed for ALL the orders on the books ... and any future config changes due to parts challenges are applicable to NEW orders in that they don't even allow the configuration.

It'll kill my faith if it's an after-the-fact change.

If I hear anything I'll post it and please do the same!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:19 PM   #40
11B/51C
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X545e, 2021 X5M50i

Will do for sure!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #41
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Something to add to the B&W discussion:

BMW is upgrading the B&W option next July ... Per Ynguldyn, on the upcoming new 7-series:
Even better version of B&W audio.
Perhaps this may also be contributing to the shortage ... BMW may be thinking it's worth a production pause / slow down and then simply moving to whatever new tech whether or not it debuts on the new 7 series. Just speculating of course ...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #42
jpSQLDude
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Something to add to the B&W discussion:

BMW is upgrading the B&W option next July ... Per Ynguldyn, on the upcoming new 7-series:
Even better version of B&W audio.
Perhaps this may also be contributing to the shortage ... BMW may be thinking it's worth a production pause / slow down and then simply moving to whatever new tech whether or not it debuts on the new 7 series. Just speculating of course ...
Of course, that screws over folks like me whose leases are coming to an end in that gap, and also the folks who recently custom ordered with B&W but won't get it.

Good news on my front is there seem to be plenty of new X5 M50i's out there with B&W, so I could snag one right now, or I could switch things up and get a CPO M550i with B&W for nearly half the price.

Maybe can't get exactly what I want, but there are lots of options.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #43
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone hear any news? I just got a email today saying my allocation is ready to order. X5 M50i I am having second thoughts cause I cant order the B&W
      10-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #44
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Anyone hear any news? I just got a email today saying my allocation is ready to order. X5 M50i I am having second thoughts cause I cant order the B&W
Haven't heard anything, though if you want it, and can wait, and will be bummed in, say, March if B&W (or a NEW B&W!) is available again, then I'd wait.

Also getting an email telling you you can order seems odd ... maybe to just me. I typically call/email around for an allocation and when I find one at a dealer at the right price I order then & there, but horses for courses ...
Appreciate 0