BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
skindoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 M50i

Tint

2022 BMW X6 M50i

Looking to get my front windows tinted. Anyone with recommendations of brands/types? Any good installers to recommend in NYC area?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #2
theS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GV80 3.5  [0.00]
2022 BMW X6 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skindoc View Post
2022 BMW X6 M50i

Looking to get my front windows tinted. Anyone with recommendations of brands/types? Any good installers to recommend in NYC area?
Out in Long Island ShineTek Auto SPA. I recommend them and them only. Exclusively XPEL. Attached a video of them breaking down everything. Super professional I've gotten all my cars tinted from them for years including the chameleon windshield which would look GREAT on the X6 exclusively there. Ask for Sean.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
while I have a G05, I went with XPEL XR+ @35% (darkest allowed in my state). it doesn't negatively affect the infotainment/instrument cluster dimming sensors, and the IR heat rejection is amazing. even with more windows than my wife's G30, my young kids notice how much cooler it is upon entering my vehicle on a sunny day.
Appreciate 4
cttam1.00
5pacey56.00
Forgiven121.50
1Boxer34.50
      09-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

For those wondering, stock is:

Windshield - 85%
Front - 75%
Rear - 16%
Back window - 25/29%, getting two readings

Measured with Inspector II
Appreciate 3
nZtiZia4647.50
FiatLux11.50
      10-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
while I have a G05, I went with XPEL XR+ @35% (highest allowed in my state). it doesn't negatively affect the infotainment/instrument cluster dimming sensors, and the IR heat rejection is amazing. even with more windows than my wife's G30, my young kids notice how much cooler it is upon entering my vehicle on a sunny day.

Screen interference is something I was recently reading (screen moving to night mode, etc.) about. I'd love to see side angle pics of your finished product. I'm debating on 35% or maybe even higher 45% for the side windows and have read XPEL XR is some of the best.
Q: Did you tint ANY of the rear windows in a high % over the factory in increase the UV and better heat rejection?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:46 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
Screen interference is something I was recently reading (screen moving to night mode, etc.) about. I'd love to see side angle pics of your finished product. I'm debating on 35% or maybe even higher 45% for the side windows and have read XPEL XR is some of the best.
Q: Did you tint ANY of the rear windows in a high % over the factory in increase the UV and better heat rejection?
below is the best sunny day photo I have at the moment showing the relative tint between the front and rear windows. yes, I did tint the 2nd and 3rd row side windows to the tune of 70% (also XPEL XR+). i forgot to mention their contribution to the heat rejection in my earlier post.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-06-2021, 08:21 PM   #7
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skindoc View Post
2022 BMW X6 M50i

Out in Long Island ShineTek Auto SPA. I recommend them and them only. Exclusively XPEL. Attached a video of them breaking down everything. Super professional I've gotten all my cars tinted from them for years including the chameleon windshield which would look GREAT on the X6 exclusively there. Ask for Sean.

Hmm… no need to take door panel down to tint though…. And if xpel they should've computer cut instead of hand cut on a brand new car though….
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #8
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
Quote:
while I have a G05, I went with XPEL XR+ @35% (highest allowed in my state). it doesn't negatively affect the infotainment/instrument cluster dimming sensors, and the IR heat rejection is amazing. even with more windows than my wife's G30, my young kids notice how much cooler it is upon entering my vehicle on a sunny day.

Xpel xr is similar to llumar pinnacle and xr plus is stratos.

I always used llumar and had no issue with film.. xpel tint is still relatively new so it's hard to judge how strong their adhesives are and if it will ever bubble…

Most tint films are made by Eastman in Virginia who is parent company or llumar….

Either way great choice
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      10-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #9
theS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GV80 3.5  [0.00]
2022 BMW X6 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwerks View Post
Hmm… no need to take door panel down to tint though…. And if xpel they should've computer cut instead of hand cut on a brand new car though….
Actually if they're going to do the job right they should remove the panels. You need to get the film below the top edge of the door panel so that it doesn't peel esp. long term when the window is raised and lowered.
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #10
TFresh47
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 m50i

Quote:
Quote:
Actually if they're going to do the job right they should remove the panels. You need to get the film below the top edge of the door panel so that it doesn't peel esp. long term when the window is raised and lowered.
Quote:
Quote:

Get your reflectors and taillights tinted too
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
FiatLux11.50
      10-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
I am also in VA. Did you just do the driver/passenger side windows or rear also? Also, not sure where in VA you are, but if in NoVA do you have a shop you'd recommend / avoid?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
I am also in VA. Did you just do the driver/passenger side windows or rear also? Also, not sure where in VA you are, but if in NoVA do you have a shop you'd recommend / avoid?
I'm in Virginia Beach area. yes, I did add additional tint to the rear windows (not tailgate though) to the tune of 70%.
Appreciate 1
5pacey56.00
      10-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #13
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
I'm in Virginia Beach area. yes, I did add additional tint to the rear windows (not tailgate though) to the tune of 70%.
Cool thx... a bit of a drive for me I guess so I'll bug my local high $ XPEL installer if they also do tinting.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4647.50
      10-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #14
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Cool thx... a bit of a drive for me I guess so I'll bug my local high $ XPEL installer if they also do tinting.
Just got XPEL XR Plus 15 on my front side windows (2022 X5 M50i) yesterday. From the outside- it looks great. From the inside (looking out) is a big color disparity with the XPEL tint being much darker than BMW's dyed glass. The pictures attached below don't do it Justice. I did the fronts in my 2019 X5 with Lumar's Formula One at 15% and don't recall there being such a huge disparity looking out from the inside. Anyone have the same experience?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-04-2021, 08:18 PM   #15
Cheesy Myneezy
Cheesy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCav View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Just got XPEL XR Plus 15 on my front side windows (2022 X5 M50i) yesterday. From the outside- it looks great. From the inside (looking out) is a big color disparity with the XPEL tint being much darker than BMW's dyed glass. The pictures attached below don't do it Justice. I did the fronts in my 2019 X5 with Lumar's Formula One at 15% and don't recall there being such a huge disparity looking out from the inside. Anyone have the same experience?
Just got the exact same spec with coffee interior and bi color 22". Your tint looks great. Did you go over the rear factory? Or just go darker on the front 2 @15% which makes the others look darker?

I want to go over factory and make everything either 5% or 15% all the way around.
      12-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #16
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From the inside (looking out) is a big color disparity with the XPEL tint being much darker than BMW's dyed glass. […]Anyone have the same experience?
yes, it's like looking through a filtered lens which I don't particularly like. it's not drastic, but some colors are affected more than others
Appreciate 1
MarkCav72.00
      12-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #17
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Myneezy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just got the exact same spec with coffee interior and bi color 22". Your tint looks great. Did you go over the rear factory? Or just go darker on the front 2 @15% which makes the others look darker?

I want to go over factory and make everything either 5% or 15% all the way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Myneezy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just did the two fronts at 15%. To tell you the truth- I don't even notice it any more.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:35 PM   #18
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

I went with Nano tint. Blocks 98% of UV. It's pricey but the best.. went with 78% on all stained glass, 20% on front windows, 20% on pano roof and 50% windshield. All blends perfect. I can't see for the life of me and found this set up the best for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #19
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFresh47 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Get your reflectors and taillights tinted too
What film did you use for the taillight??
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #20
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Quote:
Out in Long Island ShineTek Auto SPA. I recommend them and them only.
Thanks for the recommendation. For someone local to the area, they look promising.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:03 PM   #21
SnohoRaptor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2021 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5  [9.00]
2020 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
2019 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
After multiple cars tinted with Llumar's CTX ceramic, I tried a new shop with STEK tint who could also wrap the front in DYNOshield (STEK) PPF. While happy with Llumar, I wanted to try a new product followed by a guru in Lady Lake, Florida.

They tinted the front windows & pano roof 25% and the windshield 45%. Yes, the windshield was darker then I wanted, but I agreed to try it for a week.

After falling in love with the clarity and benefits, my only complaint is the windshield LOOKS tinted from the front instead of "extra glare" our Raptor's 80% Llumar shows. I just don't want to provide easy PC for a traffic stop. . .

As for driving, it's amazing. I have light colored eyes and always need sunglasses on bright days. Not anymore. In fact, my wife loves it and she normally complains about poor night vision and oncoming glare.

I'll be replacing the tint on the M3 this year. I'll put the same STEK tint and Blue Star Auto Salon in Everett WA has earned my repeat biz.
Attached Images

MW 2020 G05 X5 with delicious coffee interior
Appreciate 2
DG-X5166.50
FiatLux11.50
      12-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #22
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Is there consensus that to do a good job on the fronts, the installer MUST remove the door panels? I've got a few inquiries into some shops . . . looking to tint after the New Year.
Appreciate 0