BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-05-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92, '17 540i, '21 X6 M50i

My Wireless Charging (Surprise!) Delete Solution

Made the mistake of dropping by the dealer last month to check out a '21 X6 M50i that they had in stock. Made a bigger mistake by driving it, and within a week I'd swapped it for my '19 X5 40i. What a great ride!

That said, I was somewhat taken aback by the wireless charging delete, though it never really worked that great anyway. I wasn't going back to using a cable, though; way too inconvenient. After some research I found something that I thought would work, and to my delight it has. So, I thought I'd share in case anyone else is looking for a solution.

I got one each of these:

Charging pad - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L3WM4PJ

Charger - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RHSD9WM

The charging pad fits perfectly and by routing the short cable from the outside, then across the divide between the charging bay and the cup holder, then to the charger in the lighter socket, it's very clean. The hard plastic piece in the cable holds the PCB and a charge indicator light. A piece of double-sided tape on the bottom of it secures it to the console and acts as a bumper to prevent the phone from sliding off the tray under.... enthusiastic acceleration.

Added bonus is that the built-in USB-A port is still accessible, as is the USB-C port in the charger. No problem using the cup holders from either side, either. Only real downside is you can't close the compartment lid and of course the car doesn't know the phone is charging so that's not indicated on the display. Overall, though, an effective solution for this "problem".
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      10-05-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
Rondi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X6 40i, ‘14 BMW X3 35i

Great stuff, thanks. I’m waiting for my x6 40i and I will add this solution as well
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #3
Twags
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche Macan 2023 X5 45e

Curious to know if you can still use the phone as a digital key with this setup, or is the phone not recognized?
      10-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
DrMilan
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 30i, G20 330i, G05 40i

i dont think Phone digital key would work, as the car no longer comes with the keycard either.
i did ask the dealer this question here in Australia, but they weren't too sure!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 05:48 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twags View Post
Curious to know if you can still use the phone as a digital key with this setup, or is the phone not recognized?
it likely still works as long as the wireless charger doesn't completely block or interfere with the high-frequency wavelengths between the two NFC devices. (NFC is short-range communication within a few centimeters to 4 inches.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMilan View Post
[…]the car no longer comes with the keycard either.
this is a mixed bag. even with wireless charging no longer included, I've seen reports of MY22 X5 both including or not including Digital Key/digital key card capabilities. Not sure why some include while others don't (may be specific countries), though most have actually included the key card and therefore, Digital Key for a compatible iPhone.

the sure fire way to know is if the MyBMW App show Digital Key on the Home Screen
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
Cross1681
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I have a 22 M50i and wireless charging is deleted. I did get a digital key which works and needs access to the pad. Same with my Apple car key.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:32 AM   #7
DrMilan
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 30i, G20 330i, G05 40i

what do you mean the digital key works? so is the pad separate to the wireless charging, i thought it was all 1 unit, excuse my ignorance.
i ordered a 40i and would be very happy if Apple Car Key still works with the exclusion of wireless charging
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:30 AM   #8
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
what do you mean the digital key works? so is the pad separate to the wireless charging, i thought it was all 1 unit, excuse my ignorance.
There are two types of pad - one for wireless charging + key, and one for key only without wireless charging.
They look very similar and the card icon almost identical - except the one with wireless charging has a battery charging symbol in the middle.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18143.00
      10-06-2021, 06:59 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i ordered a 40i and would be very happy if Apple Car Key still works with the exclusion of wireless charging
both the wireless charger and NFC are housed in the same tray and location (though icon may be different now), so the iPhone placement is the same even now that the wireless charging portion is no longer included.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:01 AM   #10
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

I came here thinking there was a solution to delete/turn off the wireless charging pad! Lol...

It did give me an idea of putting something in between the phone and charger that doesn't allow the wireless charging current to pass though!
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2021, 12:05 PM   #11
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

I know the wireless charging is out for MY22, but does the car still alert you if the key is on the tray when you exit the car assuming you used your phone as a key and left it there?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #12
sweetpete74
Rep
Drives: 21 g05x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
I came here thinking there was a solution to delete/turn off the wireless charging pad! Lol...

It did give me an idea of putting something in between the phone and charger that doesn't allow the wireless charging current to pass though!
There is an option in the settings to turn off wireless charging. No need to put something in between.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #13
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpete74 View Post
There is an option in the settings to turn off wireless charging. No need to put something in between.
Are you sure? There was a whole thread about this and the conclusion was there is no way to turn off wireless charging.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
this is not correct. The only thing in iDrive is to enable/disable the phone reminder in the tray but as evodz asked, we're wondering if the reminder is still there now that wireless charging in no longer included but the iPhone Digital Key or key card is being used.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #15
sweetpete74
Rep
Drives: 21 g05x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Are you sure? There was a whole thread about this and the conclusion was there is no way to turn off wireless charging.
Weird - I could have sworn I saw an option for it, but I just went to check in the car. The only option is for the phone reminder. Maybe I thought there was one seeing that listed. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #16
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Weird - I could have sworn I saw an option for it, but I just went to check in the car. The only option is for the phone reminder. Maybe I thought there was one seeing that listed. Sorry.
I made the same mistake haha. Yeah unfortunately there's no way to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #17
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Quote:
I made the same mistake haha. Yeah unfortunately there's no way to turn it off.
If you really want to, you can tear down the console and unplug it but you will also lose the NFC with keycard and iPhone starting
      10-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #18
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92, '17 540i, '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross1681 View Post
I have a 22 M50i and wireless charging is deleted. I did get a digital key which works and needs access to the pad. Same with my Apple car key.
Not an Apple fan-boy, so I can't comment on the iPhone key. But, on my '21 G06 w/wireless deleted I can use the digital key card that I received at delivery, even with the charging pad that I got from Amazon in place.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #19
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Yea as others pointed out there was a whole thread about it, and in that thread I thought you could turn it off too. Couldn't find it in the car or manual afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
If you really want to, you can tear down the console and unplug it but you will also lose the NFC with keycard and iPhone starting
Wouldn't be a problem for me since we have neither of those in my local market. But the trouble of tearing it down won't be worth it. If only it worked more consistently.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #20
Twags
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche Macan 2023 X5 45e

I have a 22 45e and installed the OP’s solution. Works fine with the iPhone’s digital key, but I haven’t seen any reminders to take my phone. Haven’t seen any reference to that feature in the manual, either.
      10-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #21
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twags View Post
I have a 22 45e and installed the OP's solution. Works fine with the iPhone's digital key, but I haven't seen any reminders to take my phone. Haven't seen any reference to that feature in the manual, either.
the reminder of leaving the iPhone in the tray is part of the wireless charging component, not the NFC component, so for newer vehicles without wireless charging, there is no longer a reminder.

for older vehicles equipped with wireless charging, leaving it in the tray after turning off the vehicle prompts a warning because by placing it the tray in the first place, you're asking the vehicle to perform a function (charge it), but you've just turned off the vehicle, so it's like, "uh, you want me to charge your phone, but you turned me off and about to exit. **REMINDER CHIME** don't forget to take your phone since i can't charge it anymore."

for newer vehicles with NFC only, there's no need for a reminder to take the phone after using the iPhone as a Digital Key to start the vehicle. it's done what you asked it to do (verify it as a legit Digital Key to start the vehicle) so leaving it in the tray after turning off the vehicle isn't asking the vehicle to do anything any more with the iPhone sitting there.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 10-24-2021 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #22
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

I'll take the 2 seconds it takes to plug in for a phone charge in the not so often instance that I need to car charge. Never been comfortable with the degree of heat that is produced with this wireless charging business.
Appreciate 0