BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #23
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

To be clear . . .
To my knowledge, the standard sport seat on the new X5 (say model 40i or 45e) are identical to those when you get Multi Contour (MC) as an option - the only diff is MC gives you more adjustments? MC is a 20 way adjustment in the exact same seat VS. 10 way adjustment in the exact same seat. So, in theory the comfort differential is valuable only if your standard 10 way adjustments are missing part of your butt, back or sides, thus you Need 20 different adjustment. BUT the seat itself is the same. Please CORRECT me if I'm wrong (I could be - this is what I've understood).

LUX SEATING has MC+ ventilated and forces the add of Merino Leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_carol View Post
I know that I'm beating a dead horse here, but I've had my 2022 X5 for a week and a half now, and it has the sport seats...they feel very firm with hardly any give at all, not exactly my idea of comfort...is there any hope that they'll break in and become comfortable?

I'm kicking myself in the rear for not initially going with the multi-contour seats...I tried to add it on a couple days after ordering, but it had already gone into production. Anyway, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18164.00
      10-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #24
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
To be clear . . .
To my knowledge, the standard sport seat on the new X5 (say model 40i or 45e) are identical to those when you get Multi Contour (MC) as an option - the only diff is MC gives you more adjustments? MC is a 20 way adjustment in the exact same seat VS. 10 way adjustment in the exact same seat. So, in theory the comfort differential is valuable only if your standard 10 way adjustments are missing part of your butt, back or sides, thus you Need 20 different adjustment. BUT the seat itself is the same. Please CORRECT me if I'm wrong (I could be - this is what I've understood).

Quote:
I know that I'm beating a dead horse here, but I've had my 2022 X5 for a week and a half now, and it has the sport seats...they feel very firm with hardly any give at all, not exactly my idea of comfort...is there any hope that they'll break in and become comfortable?

I'm kicking myself in the rear for not initially going with the multi-contour seats...I tried to add it on a couple days after ordering, but it had already gone into production. Anyway, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
This is actually what I initially thought and also the reason why I decided to go with the sport seats when I ordered. Then I did some reading after the fact and it seems as though as least the side bolsters in the thigh area are more rigid in the sport seats, sort of like barriers to keep you in place...I imagine this is also true with the seat back bolsters. I also get the impression that the MC seats aren't as firm and are more comfortable....but I haven't actually tested one out myself, so I'm not really sure. I'd hope this is the case as my primary complaint is that the seat is so firm, feels like I'm sitting on Styrofoam or something, and exiting the vehicle i.e. sliding out over the bolsters isn't my favorite. It would be horrible if the MC seats were the same firmness with just a few more adjustments.
Appreciate 1
CGG170.00
      10-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #25
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
To be clear . . .

Quote:

Comfort seat way more comfortable in the butt area, softer, also for the back. I changed my car to a model with the comfort seat. Of course in europe we can opt for comfort seat w/out ventilaton (most comfortable imo).
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #26
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I'm confused as to what is being talked about as the "sport" seat. I was unaware you could get a different design seat in North America, only leather choice. I know overseas there is a true sport seat option.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 05:50 PM   #27
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I'm confused as to what is being talked about as the "sport" seat. I was unaware you could get a different design seat in North America, only leather choice. I know overseas there is a true sport seat option.
There are actually, or were, 4 types of seats, in the US. Don't know what is offered in EU or AU.

1. Standard
2. Sport
3. Comfort
*4. M Sport

Standard seats were the ones you got when you didn't order either a sport package or M package, and didn't get the Comfort seats option (or a package).

Sport seats were the ones that by default came w/a sport, or M package (which is the new sport + M cosmetics).

Comfort seats were the ones that have the back-rest that bends. they were also wider, and had more side support both on the back and the seat itself. They also have the fancier headrests that are wide, nicely supportive and they fold in the middle.

M Sport seats only came on M3s, and maybe some other M models, but I don't know if they ever were on x5Ms. I also never sat in them other than in the showroom so don't really know how comfortable they are IRL.

Comfort wise, IME, the worst are the "Sport" seats. They are literally as if someone designed them to be painful, uncomfortable and remind the user daily that they should have sprang for the $1k comfort seat option. They were literally that bad. It is somewhat personal naturally. Then the Standard seats, then the M Sport seats, and then much higher up are the Comfort seats, which there are several flavors of I think by now. Whether or not there is ventilation doesn't change much, mostly the perforation in the leather.

The only exception to this was my '99 E39 528i, which had a sports package, and thus Sport Seats... they were quite comfortable.

Last edited by 5pacey; 10-14-2021 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 07:41 PM   #28
fstezaws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 911 S — 2022 X5 M50

I'm on my 4th BMW now and I believe I've had the same seats in all of them. My X5 M50 has pretty much the same seats as my F10 and F90 M5 did, or at least they seem that way. The adjustment degrees are at least all the same.

Compared to my 992 911, the BMW seats are much more comfortable. I don't find my X5 seats uncomfortable at all. Just put 1500 miles in them over 4 days and quite enjoyed the ride.

I don't know if the M50i automatically comes with sports seats, as I didn't have that option spec when building an M50i.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #29
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

To refocus on the G05: If you build a new X5 40/45e choosing either xLine OR Msport provides you with what BMW calls Sport Seats (yes, in years past it was all different).
So called, Sport Seats are a standard default feature on the X5 and listed as code 481 standard feature across the 40i and 45e.
The only option on the Sport Seats are:
- quality of the material (SENSATEC vs. VERNASCA LEATHER vs. MERINO),
- adjustability (adding Multi Contour w/20 vs 10 adjustments)
- lastly adding LUX Pack provides ventilation + massage in combo with above.

No where on the X5 40i/45i do I see anything about "Standard" or "Comfort". It is a Sport Seat. And, As far as I can see they are all structurally SPORT SEATS - material and adjustability differ and can create a different feel to the same bone structure of the seat.
I just reviewed the build codes, website, and order code PDF....outside of USA it may differ as well as with M50i/X5M.

Last edited by dananelson1; 10-14-2021 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18164.00
      10-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #30
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you build a new X5 40/45e choosing either xLine OR Msport provides you with what BMW calls Sport Seats (yes, in years past it was all different).
So called, Sport Seats are a standard default feature on the X5 on the X5 and listed as code 481 standard feature across the 40i and 45e.
The only option on the Sport Seats are:
- quality of the material (SENSATEC vs. VERNASCA LEATHER vs. MERINO),
- adjustability (adding Multi Contour w/20 vs 10 adjustments)
- lastly adding LUX Pack provides ventilation + massage in combo with above.

No where on the X5 40i/45i do I see anything about "Standard" or "Comfort". It is a Sport Seat. And, As far as I can see there are all structurally SPORT SEATS - material and adjustability differ and can create a different feel to the same bone structure of the seat.
I just reviewed the build codes, website, and order code PDF....outside of USA it may differ as well as with M50i/X5M.
Exactly my point.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #31
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
There are actually, or were, 4 types of seats, in the US. Don't know what is offered in EU or AU.

1. Standard
2. Sport
3. Comfort
*4. M Sport

Standard seats were the ones you got when you didn't order either a sport package or M package, and didn't get the Comfort seats option (or a package).

Sport seats were the ones that by default came w/a sport, or M package (which is the new sport + M cosmetics).

Comfort seats were the ones that have the back-rest that bends. they were also wider, and had more side support both on the back and the seat itself. They also have the fancier headrests that are wide, nicely supportive and they fold in the middle.

M Sport seats only came on M3s, and maybe some other M models, but I don't know if they ever were on x5Ms. I also never sat in them other than in the showroom so don't really know how comfortable they are IRL.

Comfort wise, IME, the worst are the "Sport" seats. They are literally as if someone designed them to be painful, uncomfortable and remind the user daily that they should have sprang for the $1k comfort seat option. They were literally that bad. It is somewhat personal naturally. Then the Standard seats, then the M Sport seats, and then much higher up are the Comfort seats, which there are several flavors of I think by now. Whether or not there is ventilation doesn't change much, mostly the perforation in the leather.
There's actually ONLY 2 types of G05 seating in the USA - from your list, items 2 and 3. Option 4 is only available for international markets and correct term is 4MA "M Multi-function seating" which is exactly F95/96 4MA Multi-function seats with lumbar support but without the lighted ///M branding.

SA481 Sport Seat = standard seat on xLine and M Sport model and only available with SensaTec or Vernasca leather

My previous post discussing SA481 and photos
https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=2

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=24

SA456 Multi-Contour (or old BMW vernacular- Comfort seats) = standard on M50i, 40i/45e requires Vernasca leather or automatically added with Extended Merino or included with ZLS Luxury seating package which adds 453 ventilation and 4T7 front massaging

My previous post discussing SA456 and photos
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=2
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
GrussGott18164.00
Sdupp14.00
evodz127.00
      10-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #32
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post

There's actually ONLY 2 types of G05 seating in the USA - from your list, items 2 and 3. Option 4 is only available for international markets and correct term is 4MA "M Multi-function seating" which is exactly F95/96 4MA Multi-function seats with lumbar support but without the lighted ///M branding.
Interesting, so the F95/6 seats are the "sport seats" people are complaining about?

And in the US only available on the F95/6 but elsewhere can be spec'd on the G05?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:59 PM   #33
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post

Interesting, so the F95/6 seats are the "sport seats" people are complaining about?

And in the US only available on the F95/6 but elsewhere can be spec'd on the G05?
Nah, complaint is the standard G05 SA481 Sport Seats

And ja 4MA is only available on F95/96 (with illuminated color ///X5 M or ///X6 M branding) and international market G05s (without illuminated black ///M)

4M5 option in an international G06
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1690745
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
GrussGott18164.00
      10-15-2021, 06:34 AM   #34
dminahan
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7

I am new to BMW (have had Mercedes and Audi) and really ended up with an X5 due to the car shortage. For whatever reason I never test drove BMW in the past. I did start with an X3 on a smaller car I was getting for the spring meant to be more of one the kids could learn to drive on but I ended up with Mercedes on that. I then knew I wanted out of Audi and test drove the X5, did not get to test drive an X7. Fate put me in my new X5 just the other week. I was picking from the lot.

One dealer had 2 X5s with some differences and one of them was the seats. So I tried the sport seats in the Sensatec and then the model I bought had the multi contour seats in Vernasca leather. The multi contour seats were more comfortable or softer like people have described. I put my deposit on the one with the multi contour to hold it as I was 2 hours away and said don't start the paperwork. If both are available then I'll test out the seats in both and decide but if all that is left is the more optioned one I picked then I'm good. I have had some back issues I'm working on so I figured it was worth a test to see for a brief moment of sitting if one seat felt better than the other.

There is a difference, it may be slight though and for some not noticeable. That is why I went with the more optioned one that had the multi contour seats. It does not have everything I would have wanted on a vehicle but it is nice.

I'm still getting used to how BMW does things. I think the oddity in the camera is what bugs me the most (i.e. it seems to not always follow toggling to the front camera when maneuvering between reverse and drive on the split screen with the 360). I'm getting used to that as well though and I can live with something like that as long as the important things are solid on the vehicle. It is possible I'll be converted to lean towards BMW now. The brakes are better on this than Mercedes or Audi. I feel sort of lucky to have gotten this vehicle.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18164.00
      10-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #35
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminahan View Post
I am new to BMW (have had Mercedes and Audi) and really ended up with an X5 due to the car shortage. For whatever reason I never test drove BMW in the past. I did start with an X3 on a smaller car I was getting for the spring meant to be more of one the kids could learn to drive on but I ended up with Mercedes on that. I then knew I wanted out of Audi and test drove the X5, did not get to test drive an X7. Fate put me in my new X5 just the other week. I was picking from the lot.

One dealer had 2 X5s with some differences and one of them was the seats. So I tried the sport seats in the Sensatec and then the model I bought had the multi contour seats in Vernasca leather. The multi contour seats were more comfortable or softer like people have described. I put my deposit on the one with the multi contour to hold it as I was 2 hours away and said don't start the paperwork. If both are available then I'll test out the seats in both and decide but if all that is left is the more optioned one I picked then I'm good. I have had some back issues I'm working on so I figured it was worth a test to see for a brief moment of sitting if one seat felt better than the other.

There is a difference, it may be slight though and for some not noticeable. That is why I went with the more optioned one that had the multi contour seats. It does not have everything I would have wanted on a vehicle but it is nice.

I'm still getting used to how BMW does things. I think the oddity in the camera is what bugs me the most (i.e. it seems to not always follow toggling to the front camera when maneuvering between reverse and drive on the split screen with the 360). I'm getting used to that as well though and I can live with something like that as long as the important things are solid on the vehicle. It is possible I'll be converted to lean towards BMW now. The brakes are better on this than Mercedes or Audi. I feel sort of lucky to have gotten this vehicle.
Nice! You got lucky with finding a dealer that had any X5s on the lot...my dealer had none. Sounds like you made a great decision on getting the more optioned vehicle. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 05:27 PM   #36
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminahan View Post

I'm still getting used to how BMW does things. ... It is possible I'll be converted to lean towards BMW now. ... I feel sort of lucky to have gotten this vehicle.
Congrats! Yeah, the shortages have a way of triggering that human fear of scarcity so we feel lucky getting one! Mine is on the way and I feel the same way.

I've always been a BMW fan but, due to living in a snow state, always bought Audis until one day a special occasion came up and I decided to get a Bimmer - that was almost 15 years ago and I haven't gone back since!

One thing that really helps with BMW is the community and all the info you can get about the vehicles & purchase process. I've never found the communities for the other brands as useful as this one.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-16-2021 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #37
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

I went from a 40i with the base seats to a 45e with multi contour. When I purchased my 40i the sales guy said the seats were the same other than additional controls. He was very wrong. The multi contour are significantly softer, as others have said. The seat bottom and back specifically. And with multi contour, the seats without ventilation are rumored to be softer than those with. So I opted to NOT get the ventilation and love the seats.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 12:16 AM   #38
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
I went from a 40i with the base seats to a 45e with multi contour. When I purchased my 40i the sales guy said the seats were the same other than additional controls. He was very wrong. The multi contour are significantly softer, as others have said. The seat bottom and back specifically. And with multi contour, the seats without ventilation are rumored to be softer than those with. So I opted to NOT get the ventilation and love the seats.
Sounds wonderful, thanks for the feedback. Did the seats on the 40i get any better with time?

I'm definitely gonna go this route with my next one.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #39
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Quote:
Sounds wonderful, thanks for the feedback. Did the seats on the 40i get any better with time?

They did a little. But I’m not sure if it was the seats that changed, but rather mire that I got used to them. I also ended up getting a very thin leather seat cushion to use on very long trips, and it made them tolerable.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #40
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They did a little. But I’m not sure if it was the seats that changed, but rather mire that I got used to them. I also ended up getting a very thin leather seat cushion to use on very long trips, and it made them tolerable.
Got it...sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #41
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If this helps anyone, we've been taking some long road trips recently in rentals and the base seats in the Toyota Highlander are so bad my wife finally got pissed, so we went to a Relax The Back store and bought a thin memory foam cushion made just for this purpose.

It seemed expensive and a bit frivolous at the time but now we use it all the time for all kinds of stuff, and it's great for any seat or chair that's uncomfy - we pretty much bring it everywhere now.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #42
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
They did a little. But I'm not sure if it was the seats that changed, but rather mire that I got used to them. I also ended up getting a very thin leather seat cushion to use on very long trips, and it made them tolerable.
If this helps anyone, we've been taking some long road trips recently in rentals and the base seats in the Toyota Highlander are so bad my wife finally got pissed, so we went to a Relax The Back store and bought a thin memory foam cushion made just for this purpose.

It seemed expensive and a bit frivolous at the time but now we use it all the time for all kinds of stuff, and it's great for any seat or chair that's uncomfy - we pretty much bring it everywhere now.
This is good information...

Ironically, I'm coming from a 2016 Highlander XLE into my X5, and I can safely say that the Highlander seats were more comfortable than the sport seats in my X5...lol...who knew?!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18164.00
      10-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #43
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I just took delivery of my 45e M Sport with multi contour and the seats were fine on the 250 mile trip back from the dealer :
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #44
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i

I have had the sports seats twice (E46 and F85) and they unfortunately suck on long drives. They just aren’t made for the purposes of comfort over the long haul. The multi-comfort seats are terrific, and the massaging seats are also really nice for back comfort.
Appreciate 1